Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 02:14:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 [515] 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 ... 661 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XCP] Counterparty - Pioneering Peer-to-Peer Finance - Official Thread  (Read 1276307 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
daviducsb

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 10:54:34 PM

I think the more we can avoid the paranoia and trolling that affects other bitcoin related mb's the better. Insider trading to varying degrees is a fact of life in just about any asset. However, I personally haven't seen anything with Counterparty/XCP that is indicative of that. Maybe it happens but it is nothing near IMO the wild eyed conspiracy you seem to believe in. Maybe you just bought and sold at the wrong prices. Anyway, if it looks and smells like a troll... I'll stop feeding it...

So how about that rewards points idea and the functionality of the platform to be able to buy XCP directly with $. Anyone have thoughts on that?

I'm gonna be a hypocrite here and talk about the price despite myself. Anything with a market cap of $15 million or so will be inherently volatile. There is really nothing wrong with that until XCP and Counterparty grow much larger than it is now. If, hopefully XCP market capitalization (the value of all XCP) reaches say $150,000,000 or $50 an XCP (roughly a quarter the market cap of overstock) then maybe it might make sense to work on greater stability. I'm not a huge fan of volatility, but I think it probably draws in as many people as it turns off.

Let's revisit all this when XCP is at $50 WinkSmiley

Regarding the recent XCP price drop, we want to start by saying that the Counterparty team has been silent on this because we do not engage in price speculation, as a policy. As others have noted, XCP is still a rather young, small and illiquid market, that is as of yet not trading on what most would consider a “major” exchange. Therefore, larger purchases and sales of XCP can and oftentimes do push the price up or down by quite a large amount.

Other markets, such as the physical gold market, and BTC (e.g. via Second Market, Coinfloor, etc)  oftentimes have OTC markets (i.e. off-exchange markets) where interested buyers and significant holders may advertise their desire to buy or sell larger lots, in a manner that does not directly affect the market price. We are in the process of working with certain industry partners to see if such an offering could be reality for XCP. If this materializes, it should hopefully help to stabilize the price, while making it possible for larger positions in XCP to be entered into or exited in a more controlled fashion.

Yeah, I am sure it will be very easy to bring new comers after that insider trading mess.

I love this project and I think its a shame you try to cover up what happened instead of just admit there was a problem and maybe try to prevent it in the future. the graphs are not lying.
I really like XCP (I had xcp for long long time) but because I am not a super-duper-mega-ultra trader - I can't afford my self keep playing in this game.
that's all, no hate no trolling. just my honest opinion.

edit: thank all for your comments on my original post, I read it all Smiley

No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
daviducsb

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 11:02:31 PM

Also, maybe a button to press to invite friends to Counterparty/Counterwallet would be fun?
GeminiSimba

Activity: 176

Ain't no party like a Counterparty!

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 12:15:55 AM

I think in the first place, wannabe stock trader experts need to take a step back and re evaluate the cryptocurrency market. People tend to compare bitcoin and other such things like a stock because of it's volatile nature and investment ability. They instantly start comparing them to stocks of real companies which are generating economic activity somewhere. With bitcoin we can sort of say that it has some value because there are in fact a few companys which are using bitcoin technology to generate such economic activity (like bitpay, coinbase etc..). But you have to ask yourself, are there really any multi million dollar or multi billion dollar companys that exist which are completely using bitcoin as it's infrastructure? No, not yet. The majority of the value of bitcoin is speculative based on what we believe will one day be built using it's technology.

This is the same thing with Counterparty except even more so. Name 1 forbes level successful company built on counterparty...I'll wait.  
The truth is whether xcp is currently worth a dollar or 20 dollars it doesn't matter because we can't truly start to rate XCP as a real asset until company's which are bult on counterparty start actually popping up...so for you so called trader experts comparing xcp to a stock, I won't say that's wrong, but keep in mind that at this point in time the entire Counterparty value sphere is speculative until things like Medici and such start to come about or until the already existing business' which are built on counterparty (Like SWARM and Koinify etc..) become highly net worth company's.

"You see, you and I, we believe in life. But you want to fight for it, to kill for it, even to die--for life. I only want to live it."  (Ayn Rand)
prophetx
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2014, 11:42:22 AM
Last edit: November 30, 2014, 11:53:35 AM by prophetx

i can't believe the price fell so much i was able to get some very very cheap XCP....

sell it back to you guys at 0.05 or even 0.1

on another note if you are a developer or a graphics/UX designer, or some person that knows this ethereum smart contract stuff

if you want to brain storm some killer phone app for this... i frankly can't think of one but I want to help start some

simple, useful on a daily basis and easy though (no crazy if my tooth falls out the crypto fairy pays me some xcp type stuff please)
prophetx
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2014, 11:57:04 AM

I'm gonna be a hypocrite here and talk about the price despite myself. Anything with a market cap of $15 million or so will be inherently volatile. There is really nothing wrong with that until XCP and Counterparty grow much larger than it is now. If, hopefully XCP market capitalization (the value of all XCP) reaches say $150,000,000 or $50 an XCP (roughly a quarter the market cap of overstock) then maybe it might make sense to work on greater stability. I'm not a huge fan of volatility, but I think it probably draws in as many people as it turns off.

Let's revisit all this when XCP is at $50 WinkSmiley

Regarding the recent XCP price drop, we want to start by saying that the Counterparty team has been silent on this because we do not engage in price speculation, as a policy. As others have noted, XCP is still a rather young, small and illiquid market, that is as of yet not trading on what most would consider a “major” exchange. Therefore, larger purchases and sales of XCP can and oftentimes do push the price up or down by quite a large amount.

Other markets, such as the physical gold market, and BTC (e.g. via Second Market, Coinfloor, etc)  oftentimes have OTC markets (i.e. off-exchange markets) where interested buyers and significant holders may advertise their desire to buy or sell larger lots, in a manner that does not directly affect the market price. We are in the process of working with certain industry partners to see if such an offering could be reality for XCP. If this materializes, it should hopefully help to stabilize the price, while making it possible for larger positions in XCP to be entered into or exited in a more controlled fashion.

Yeah, I am sure it will be very easy to bring new comers after that insider trading mess.

I love this project and I think its a shame you try to cover up what happened instead of just admit there was a problem and maybe try to prevent it in the future. the graphs are not lying.
I really like XCP (I had xcp for long long time) but because I am not a super-duper-mega-ultra trader - I can't afford my self keep playing in this game.
that's all, no hate no trolling. just my honest opinion.

edit: thank all for your comments on my original post, I read it all Smiley

it's all about managing perception and expectations right? Smiley

i agree with this poster openness and honesty are always best, although done in a way that doesn't step on too many people's toes (i'm really good at that by the way if you haven't noticed, i'm available on a retainer basis if you need someone to crush some toes)
nakaone

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 02:49:33 PM

regarding xcp insider trading (delete it if it is nonsense)
being in xcp since its inception and following the project closely it was speculated since spring/summer that there is a connection between xcp and overstock which can be found here or also in the counterparty forum. i thought it was (poorly) priced in because the price was buttoning around april or something and on a low level rising since that point: what was a positive surprise was the scale to which overstock was using the protocol which let immediately buy more xcp after the announcement (I think this was true for a quite a lot of close followers). totally unexepcted was the announcement regarding "forking" ethereum which let to a second price explosion.

I do not think that there was major insider trading - the price rise as well as the incline now is given by the nature of most if not all cryptocurrencies - see risto pietilas post regarding that issue - a "pump" is not neccessarily an artificial behaviour of the market. it is simply the point where people do not want to sell anymore and a lot of people want to buy. the "over"selling now is given by the inverse function of that characterisation.

on a larger scale you see exactly that beviour with btc.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 05:23:15 PM

I've put up a thread to talk about forking the Mastercoin Project:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=878363.msg9697453#msg9697453

The reason I mention it is that some of the ideas have included porting Mastercoin over to Counterparty, or finding a way to port Maidsafe tokens over to counterparty. For what Mastercoiners are left, we are tired of how the project is being handled and want change. We're not looking for a flame war those of us who are left know well enough what a mistake it was to turn down counterparty at the start and we aren't happy about it. We're looking for input on what to do next.

more or less retired.
PhantomPhreak (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 300

Counterparty Chief Scientist and Co-Founder

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 05:58:37 PM

The reason I mention it is that some of the ideas have included porting Mastercoin over to Counterparty, or finding a way to port Maidsafe tokens over to counterparty. For what Mastercoiners are left, we are tired of how the project is being handled and want change. We're not looking for a flame war those of us who are left know well enough what a mistake it was to turn down counterparty at the start and we aren't happy about it. We're looking for input on what to do next.

We'd be glad to work with Maidsafe and Mastercoin to port Maidsafe over to Counterparty. (It wouldn't be at all hard to do. Notably, the two exchanges which handle MAID already also support Counterparty.)
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 06:13:03 PM

We'd be glad to work with Maidsafe and Mastercoin to port Maidsafe over to Counterparty. (It wouldn't be at all hard to do. Notably, the two exchanges which handle MAID already also support Counterparty.)

Do you think you could contribute over in the thread? I think people would like very much to hear from a counterparty developer about what is possible.

more or less retired.
PhantomPhreak (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 06:27:05 PM

Do you think you could contribute over in the thread? I think people would like very much to hear from a counterparty developer about what is possible.

I can't speak at all as to what should happen with Mastercoin. On the other hand, if projects with Mastercoin tokens (e.g. MAID and XAP) want to freeze their balances and re-create them on Counterparty, we can help walk them through that process.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 06:31:12 PM

I can't speak at all as to what should happen with Mastercoin. On the other hand, if projects with Mastercoin tokens (e.g. MAID and XAP) want to freeze their balances and re-create them on Counterparty, we can help walk them through that process.

Okay, good to know. Thanks!

more or less retired.
daviducsb

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 07:02:23 PM
Last edit: November 30, 2014, 07:24:52 PM by daviducsb

Uber apparently has a $40 billion valuation. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/investors-unfazed-by-uber-missteps-153329387.html

Would be pretty cool if Counterparty could develop some relationships with co.'s beyond the bitcoin economy, like uber and lyft. One would think the asset function could maybe be a good way to develop loyalty to individual drivers and companies.

Ubercoin as a Counterparty asset anyone?

prophetx
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2014, 08:34:33 PM

this (maidsafecoin) is basically a non-issue since safecoin test coins are implemented starting in testnet 3 which happens in very early 2015
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 08:56:07 PM

this (maidsafecoin) is basically a non-issue since safecoin test coins are implemented starting in testnet 3 which happens in very early 2015

Do you think you could elaborate a bit?

more or less retired.
Equality 7-2521

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

A difference which makes a difference

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2014, 10:20:24 PM

Do you think you could elaborate a bit?

MaidSafeCoins are a proxy token for Safecoin. MaidSafeCoin holdings just represents how many Safecoins a user gets. There is no real need to migrate MaidSafeCoins to the Counterparty Protocol with the impending launch of the MaidSafe Network and the associated headaches. Don't get me wrong, it is great that it technically can be done. But it should just be left to run it's course.

Summed up well here - http://blog.maidsafe.net/2014/10/09/fraudulent-maidsafecoins/

A relevant quote:

“The mastercoins, we still have. The bitcoins are what we’re living off,” said Nick Lambert (of MaidSafe), concluding: “We’re pretty hopeful that as their protocols and tools are rolled out to others, that it will start to become a more liquid layer and the price of mastercoin will increase to the level that it was at during our crowdsale. It’s been a currency without a huge amount of function until this point.”

Source: http://www.coindesk.com/maidsafe-lessons-learned-crowdsale/

Equality 7-2521

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2014, 10:54:47 PM

I have proposed some improvements to the main Counterparty Forum here - https://forums.counterparty.io/discussion/847/forum-improvement-proposals-fips.

Feel free to join the discussion.

Equality 7-2521

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2014, 09:50:13 PM

http://www.bitcoin2comparator.org/

It looks like that website needs to be updated. It is maintained by the Colored Coin guys. There are few incorrect Counterparty entries.

For example, the purpose of the comparison is between the asset related features of all 3 technologies.

Uses no intermediate currency: Counterparty doesn't use XCP for asset issuance
Protocol Specification Document: Yes, we have one. See here - https://github.com/CounterpartyXCP/Counterparty
Send to multisig address: *Depends on what they mean here* can we send Counterparty assets to a Bitcoin address starting with '3'. I think so. And we have Multisig support now too.

Fell free to spot anything else I missed. It'd be nice to contact them once with a comprehensive list of updates to their list.

Is there any aspect of Colored Coins tech that could be incorporated into the Counterparty Protocol that would be of benefit? I know they are quite different technologies but since Counterparty is Bitcoin-Blockchain-aware it should be able to see the colored satoshis.

PhantomPhreak (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 02:28:40 PM

Announcement (cross-post): v9.47.0 is out. See the CHANGELOG for details.

Most important changes: mainnet multisig support and numeric asset names (both will go live with block 333500).
nonlinearboy

Activity: 703
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 03:06:13 PM

Most important changes: mainnet multisig support and numeric asset names (both will go live with block 333500).
THANK you for the update.
xcp is active.
deliciousowl

Activity: 432
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 03:49:24 PM

https://github.com/CounterpartyXCP/counterpartyd/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md

• multi‐signature address support (protocol change: 333500)
  • numeric asset names (protocol change: 333500)
  • kickstart functionality
  • better process‐locking
  • improvements to documentation
  • graceful shutdown of processes
  • faster server startup
  • support for jmcorgan Bitcoin Core fork for block explorer
  • change first testnet block to 281000
  • make protocol changes always retroactive on testnet

Cool

Note: The numeric assets are FREE to create. (Only a BTC transaction fee is required.)

Pages: « 1 ... 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 [515] 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 ... 661 »
  Print  

Jump to: