Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 06:04:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 [536] 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 ... 661 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XCP] Counterparty - Pioneering Peer-to-Peer Finance - Official Thread  (Read 1276302 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
jrmg

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 01:02:23 PM

Well I dont know what kind of a "positive announcements" You got but If XCP alliance with Overstock is broken price will fall to 0.005...

If the posters in this thread are accurate about smart contracts payments then I really really doubt it will ever go that low. The decentralized stock exchange already works... as someone else said, XCP has endless utility beyond Overstock... lets get more excited about decentralized things Smiley

Smart contracts were copied from Ethereum so probably many other will do the same...

We need a statement what is going on Huh

Was smart contracts copied from Ethereum or write own?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=850070.msg10191605#msg10191605

Factom come under Counterparty not MSC? One of good news? 3 day ago mastercoin dev wrote in msc thread factom is coming to MSC.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
deliciousowl

Activity: 432
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 01:13:14 PM
Last edit: January 18, 2015, 01:23:25 PM by deliciousowl

Patrick Byrne talks with cointelegraph

CT: Will Medici only be working with Counterparty?

PB: No. There are two different projects. Medici is one product, and Counterparty is a different set of developers. They are not tied together, although they will have certain shared relationships.

CT: What and when is the first deliverable for Medici?

PB: The technology platform that would allow us to issue a crypto-security and have our own crypto-coin, we can finish in Q1 [first quarter]

So what is the XCP role in this project??

Counterparty lets anyone create their own crypto-coins/tokens/assets and trade them without ever using XCP (only BTC transaction fee). Counterparty is much, much more than just XCP. And only Overstock can comment on this further. The devs are under contractual obligation to not say anything without the approval of Overstock.

Was smart contracts copied from Ethereum or write own?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=850070.msg10191605#msg10191605

Factom come under Counterparty not MSC? One of good news? 3 day ago mastercoin dev wrote in msc thread factom is coming to MSC.

Counterparty smart contracts use the Ethereum virtual machine (same programming language, 100% compatibility), but the port of that onto the BTC network and Counterparty platform itself is original. And yes, Factom will be on Counterparty.

WhalingWhales

Activity: 168

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 01:38:44 PM

Well I dont know what kind of a "positive announcements" You got but If XCP alliance with Overstock is broken price will fall to 0.005...

If the posters in this thread are accurate about smart contracts payments then I really really doubt it will ever go that low. The decentralized stock exchange already works... as someone else said, XCP has endless utility beyond Overstock... lets get more excited about decentralized things Smiley

Smart contracts were copied from Ethereum so probably many other will do the same...

We need a statement what is going on Huh

Smartcontracts copied by ethereum? thats funny because i have been using a "working" smartcontracts wallet decentralized exchange since july and also speak with the creator.

Maybe you guys need to catch up lol

EDIT: BlackHalo and BitHalo
gumcruise

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 02:00:13 PM

Smartcontracts copied by ethereum? thats funny because i have been using a "working" smartcontracts wallet decentralized exchange since july and also speak with the creator.

Maybe you guys need to catch up lol

EDIT: BlackHalo and BitHalo

I don't think those are turing-complete?
mtbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 876
Merit: 1000

Etherscan.io

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 02:28:21 PM

Are there any videos of the Counterparty presentation at the TNABC ?

Cheers

EtherScan::Ethereum Block Explorer | BlockScan::Coming Soon
SkryptoDude

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 02:51:04 PM

Here's the full interview with Patrick. I didn't see it posted. I could have missed it.

http://cointelegraph.com/news/113281/patrick-byrne-medici-will-be-a-national-market-system-compliant-and-able-to-trade-everything
SkryptoDude

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 03:22:26 PM

Is there anyone here that can help with explaining Counterparty's role with Medici?

Any theories on how they might work to together and if there are benefits to Counterparty?

Thanks!

prophetx
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2015, 03:28:32 PM

Is there anyone here that can help with explaining Counterparty's role with Medici?

Any theories on how they might work to together and if there are benefits to Counterparty?

Thanks!

you can always dial into the overstock annual conference call and ask Patrick to clarify, i'm sure other shareholders will be as curious as we all are so i wouldn't be surprised to hear more detail and clarification
deliciousowl

Activity: 432

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 03:45:42 PM
Last edit: January 18, 2015, 05:47:32 PM by deliciousowl

Thanks!

As prophetx said, you can only ask Patrick who is in charge of Overstock. The devs are under a non-disclosure agreement and can't say anything. Sadly, it will not help to repeat this here. It is 100% up to Overstock to make an official statement on this, and not the responsibility or even the right of its individual employees to do so. They could end up in court if they said anything. This is simply the nature of the such contracts. Overstock must make the announcement, not individual employees. Nobody else has any information, unfortunately.

This is all we know so far, from Adam Krellenstein, one of the founders and core developers of Counterparty:

Yes, the situation is unclear---sorry, we just can't say much at the moment. There'll be some relevant (positive) announcements very soon, though! Suffice it to say that Evan, Robby and I will all be working on Counterparty for the forseeable future.

SkryptoDude

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 05:31:29 PM

I wonder how they plan to accomplish this? I don't think it would hurt to "speculate" on how it might be done. I could be wrong.

CT: Will your platform support trading of all US stocks and ETFs, or a subset?

PB: I believe that we will be a national market system compliant and able to trade everything.

CT: How is the process of price discovery going to work? In other words, how will the platform integrate with legacy trading environments?

PB: I do not want to give too much away, but it will be fully integrated with legacy platforms and wired into the national market systems.
SkryptoDude

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 05:39:12 PM

Even with my little crypto background it has me dreaming how it might work. This could be absolutely revolutionary and yes I am very excited about it.

Anotheranonlol

Activity: 588
Merit: 504

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 06:04:15 PM
Last edit: January 18, 2015, 11:00:06 PM by Anotheranonlol

After the success of Gemz on Koinify it would be stupid not to raise funds via that avenue. But like many of the projects with affiliations to MSC board, some deals probably worked out with them too. They were doing a dual issue on both platforms last I heard.

Cheers

Not that I saw yet. Bitcoinist or Chris might upload

PB: The technology platform that would allow us to issue a crypto-security and have our own crypto-coin, we can finish in Q1 [first quarter]

Maybe you can skew that to read "overstock ceo leaked he is building on sidechains", or maybe crypto-coin = crypto token in context..hell maybe you can assume he is forking litecoin to OverStockCoin, allowing people to mine it with gpu's and listing it on bittrex,  This project is down already $21 Million down from the peak valuation just 2 months ago, no confirmation that anything fundamental has changed aside from circulation of rumors by impatient speculators who seem to think medici is a synonym for counterparty- and of course the decline of bitcoin, just ask yourself is whether it offers under or over 5.4 million dollars of value and decide whether to stay invested, invest more or divest.

There's weekly developmental &  community updates, a fully fledged counterparty foundation, dedicated chatrooms (both of which I'm sure most asking for a date for announcement haven't joined), the project has multiple core developers, there's been additional hires, a whole host of projects built on-top of counterparty, as well as projects lined up that utilise counterparty in some way throughout 2015, Not to mention a myriad of potential developments that could come together in the future. As we don't directly employ the developers, nor do they have contractual obligations to those holding the XCP token all you've got going to decide that is public announcements and your own research.

Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2015, 09:17:31 AM
Last edit: January 19, 2015, 10:34:48 AM by Muhammed Zakir

I need a person's help who can sign and broadcast a zero-fee TX for an asset. I will give my private key! Thanks!

P.S. I can give more details through PM.

P.S.(2) : It can be done if you have compiled and installed counterpartyd or any other which support custom fees and counterparty assets.

~~MZ~~

pankogulo

Activity: 121

Counterparty General Manager

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2015, 03:20:06 PM

Hi guys, we've launched a giveaway campaign and offer our Annual Supporter membership for a discount price of $30. Every new member (who successfully completes the giveaway on CoinTelegraph) gets $10 of XCP and $20 coupon to spend on Counterparty merchandise. Details here: http://counterpartyfoundation.org/counterparty-foundation-giveaway-become-our-annual-supporter-and-win-cool-prizes/

profitofthegods

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2015, 05:39:21 PM

Hi guys, we've launched a giveaway campaign and offer our Annual Supporter membership for a discount price of $30. Every new member (who successfully completes the giveaway on CoinTelegraph) gets $10 of XCP and $20 coupon to spend on Counterparty merchandise. Details here: http://counterpartyfoundation.org/counterparty-foundation-giveaway-become-our-annual-supporter-and-win-cool-prizes/

Awesome. I've been meaning to get a membership but have been delaying because xmas left me a little bit short of money. I guess I can't delay it any longer with a deal like that on offer.
prophetx
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2015, 06:55:19 PM

hopefully someone can go today and we can see what the real deal is.

http://www.meetup.com/BitcoinCenterNYC/events/213645872/

Satoshi Monday ft. Overstock's Medici Platform

This Monday, January 19th, Satoshi Square will be having a presentation from Overstock.com about their upcoming Medici crypto-equity platform.

Here's what Wired had to say about it:

Overstock.com is building software, based on the bitcoin digital currency, that could allow the big-name etailer to issue corporate stock over the internet, sidestepping traditional stock exchanges such as the NASDAQ and the New York Stock Exchange.
The Salt Lake City-based company recently hired two of the developers behind CounterParty—an online project that helps individuals and businesses build all sorts of financial services atop the worldwide network of machines that drive bitcoin—and according to Overstock founder and CEO Patrick Byrne, these coders will help build “cryptosecurity” software that any company could potentially use to issue financial securities over the net. Mirroring bitcoin—known as a “crytocurrency”—these securities would be controlled by cryptographic algorithms running across computers spread across the globe, not by a central stock exchange.
prophetx
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2015, 06:59:30 PM

After the success of Gemz on Koinify it would be stupid not to raise funds via that avenue. But like many of the projects with affiliations to MSC board, some deals probably worked out with them too. They were doing a dual issue on both platforms last I heard.

Cheers

Not that I saw yet. Bitcoinist or Chris might upload

Maybe you can skew that to read "overstock ceo leaked he is building on sidechains", or maybe crypto-coin = crypto token in context..hell maybe you can assume he is forking litecoin to OverStockCoin, allowing people to mine it with gpu's and listing it on bittrex,  This project is down already $21 Million down from the peak valuation just 2 months ago, no confirmation that anything fundamental has changed aside from circulation of rumors by impatient speculators who seem to think medici is a synonym for counterparty- and of course the decline of bitcoin, just ask yourself is whether it offers under or over 5.4 million dollars of value and decide whether to stay invested, invest more or divest.

There's weekly developmental &  community updates, a fully fledged counterparty foundation, dedicated chatrooms (both of which I'm sure most asking for a date for announcement haven't joined), the project has multiple core developers, there's been additional hires, a whole host of projects built on-top of counterparty, as well as projects lined up that utilise counterparty in some way throughout 2015, Not to mention a myriad of potential developments that could come together in the future. As we don't directly employ the developers, nor do they have contractual obligations to those holding the XCP token all you've got going to decide that is public announcements and your own research.

important lessons in investing...

Lesson #1 : don't invest in pie in the sky pipe dreams of uber engineers

(learned this one from an VC teaching a lesson to a young VC, on't name him but it was one of the biggest investments in the 1990s Silicon Valley)

Lesson #2: don't fall in love with investments.

(got this one from an old NYC stock broker who had been managing a very large pool of funds for decades)

You may think about whether you have some emotional attachment to this project, it shows in your post.  Remember if it is a round hole, sure you can use a sledge hammer to get that square peg in, but...
Anotheranonlol

Activity: 588
Merit: 504

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 01:24:51 AM
Last edit: January 20, 2015, 02:10:33 AM by Anotheranonlol

important lessons in investing...

Lesson #1 : don't invest in pie in the sky pipe dreams of uber engineers

(learned this one from an VC teaching a lesson to a young VC, on't name him but it was one of the biggest investments in the 1990s Silicon Valley)

Lesson #2: don't fall in love with investments.

(got this one from an old NYC stock broker who had been managing a very large pool of funds for decades)

You may think about whether you have some emotional attachment to this project, it shows in your post.  Remember if it is a round hole, sure you can use a sledge hammer to get that square peg in, but...

Thanks for these useful lessons. Will keep them in mind. The funds invested in this project are funds that aren't a problem to lose

It's reassuring words from ostk tonight, hope it's enough to put some fearmongering to rest.

Even with my little crypto background it has me dreaming how it might work. This could be absolutely revolutionary and yes I am very excited about it.

A similar application of a concept mentioned that could be nice for 2.0 meta layers (exchanges allowing transfer of fiat off their platform by tokenization of those funds) was announced recently: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/tether-introduces-real-world-currency-160000085.html , explaining the little spike in MSC

Even though some argue these kind of tokens are attempts to negate the potential of cryptocurrency, and are only solving a temporary problem in bitcoin I think as it stands they have real use cases today even as a stopgap to more circular crypto economy.

in an even more simplistic deployment any exchange could allow their own specific fiat withdrawal & deposit with 1:1 fiat-backed tokens represented on CounterParty in the same manner, e.g BITSTAMPUSD, HUOBIRMB etc.

That would be good for users because now they could interact with decentralized exchange like CounterParty using blockchain fiat representations, as long as faith in the issuer remains you wouldn't expect it to fall much below the value it's redeemable by going back to the centralized exchanges.  (although in that application your fiat IOU's wouldn't be magically any safer in token form where you own the private key than it is on a database)

There would be cases when being in fiat-backed funds tradeable on the blockchain might well be more desirable than bitcoin, for instance in periods of high volatility or downtrends.  If multiple exchanges offered their own tokens, you might also expect trade in the middle layers to level out opportunities for arbitrage resulting in a more uniform bitcoin price. but even with slower trade fills & btc settlements being problematic right now, you might expect the exchange would stand to lose out from trade fees if users were to shift more of their focus onto trading on DEX's.

Something like knoxpayments is a nice fiat onramp, works well even for comparitively decrepid banking systems, it's utilized on exchanges like buttercoin & snapswap gateway for getting fiat into the bitcoin & ripple ecosystem respectively.  If somebody could make a business leveraging the processor directly as an onramp (w/ some legal hurdles) or manages to consider technical solutions for bridging digital fiat representations onto counterparty with systems that already store fiat IOU's it would open up some nice interplay opportunities, also it would be nice for the liquidity of the dex, there's many scenarios where settlement in usd, eur etc would be desirable, and in the reverse it could open up an additional exposure market for xcp (or other asset)

gumcruise

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 02:00:36 AM
Last edit: January 20, 2015, 02:20:51 AM by gumcruise

This Monday, January 19th, Satoshi Square will be having a presentation from Overstock.com about their upcoming Medici crypto-equity platform.

Good news???
PhantomPhreak (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 300

Counterparty Chief Scientist and Co-Founder

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 03:33:22 AM

Good news???

Haha, I was there. Was anyone else?
Pages: « 1 ... 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 [536] 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 ... 661 »
  Print  

Jump to: