Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:40:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 [591] 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 ... 661 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XCP] Counterparty - Pioneering Peer-to-Peer Finance - Official Thread  (Read 1276301 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
bitcoinrocks
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 06:08:22 PM

Since Symbiont is funding Counterparty and says it's a 'core aspect' of their toolkit, I doubt it's 'nearing a standstill'.

Hard to say.  And that's the "problem".  Not a problem for Symbiont but a problem for XCP investors.  The recent price action is obviously a reflection of the lack of communication from Symbiont regarding Counterparty.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Cornett

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

★ IT's Party Time! ★

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 09:05:44 PM

If Counterparty team keeps the current pace, I think it will be overtaken sooner or later.

Since the current pace is nearly a standstill, I would have to agree.

The devs work on a private repo, and there are regular updates on the public repo as well. The illusion of a slow pace is because the devs don't promise anything in advance, they deliver code regularly and that's what gets real, tangible results.

If they wanted to pump they could advance flashy buzzwords 12 months before any code exists, and write 4 page blog posts about theory. Remember, Counterparty simply showed up. There was no 12 month announcement and e-mail list building. The code showed up, posted by anonymous devs. XCP seems strange among other Bitcoin projects for this reason, because it's about results much like the work of Satoshi.

Having some experience with dev teams, I much prefer those that code and network with known Wall Street players and finance giants instead of create theatrics to appease a small user-base. But maybe that's just me.

Since Symbiont is funding Counterparty and says it's a 'core aspect' of their toolkit, I doubt it's 'nearing a standstill'.

You're the only person having a correct understanding of what is happening.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████▄▄
░░░░░░░░░▄▄░░░░░░░░░████████
░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄░░░░░███████████▄▄
░▄▄██████████████▄▄███████████████▄
░▀▀██████████████▀▀░░░▀▀████████████
██▄▄▀▀██████▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀████████
██████▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███████
████████░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀███
████████░░░░░▄▄███████▄▄░░░░░███▄▄░░▀
████████░░░███████████████░░░███████▄
░░▀▀████░░░░░▀▀███████▀▀░░░░░████████
██▄▄░░▀▀░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░████████
██████▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░░▀███████
████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄▀▀███
██████████▄▄░░░░▄▄██████████████▄▄
██████████████▄▄▀▀██████████████▀▀
░░▀▀████████████░░░░▀▀██████▀▀
░░░░░░▀▀████████░░░░░░░░▀▀
░░░░░░░░░▀▀██████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀██
OATH

████▀
███▀  ▀
██▀  ▀
█▀  ▀
▀  ▀
▄  ▄
█▄  ▄
██▄  ▄
███▄  ▄
████▄

▀████
▀  ▀███
▀  ▀██
▀  ▀█
▀  ▀
▄  ▄
▄  ▄█
▄  ▄██
▄  ▄███
▄████

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

█▄▄              █▄▄
█████▄▄         ██████▄▄
████████       ████████ █
████████ ██   ████████ ██
████████ ███ ████████ ███
████████ ████ ██████ ████
████████ █████ ████ █████
████████ ▀█████ ██ ██████
████████    ▀▀██  ███████
▀███████         ▀███████
   ▀▀███            ▀▀███
       ▀                ▀
flayway

Activity: 219
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 11:51:19 PM

Have there been any information about when this magic smart contracts will coming to main net? Have that test in testnet? Not really have follow much of project last times, but have buy much more XCP and still holding all orginal burns.

XCP:     19zzpgk3oakH2b7zd63mw3DadtNkvefVfo    BTC:     1ASSkiRsqRUUp5Y8YQYnuc41fBbYR3iRD2
BitThink
Legendary

Activity: 882

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 12:29:16 AM

If Counterparty team keeps the current pace, I think it will be overtaken sooner or later.

Since the current pace is nearly a standstill, I would have to agree.

The devs work on a private repo, and there are regular updates on the public repo as well. The illusion of a slow pace is because the devs don't promise anything in advance, they deliver code regularly and that's what gets real, tangible results.

If they wanted to pump they could advance flashy buzzwords 12 months before any code exists, and write 4 page blog posts about theory. Remember, Counterparty simply showed up. There was no 12 month announcement and e-mail list building. The code showed up, posted by anonymous devs. XCP seems strange among other Bitcoin projects for this reason, because it's about results much like the work of Satoshi.

Having some experience with dev teams, I much prefer those that code and network with known Wall Street players and finance giants instead of create theatrics to appease a small user-base. But maybe that's just me.

At first, I don't understand why they put most efforts on a private repo of an open source project. Then I realized most likely private repos are for private ledges. Certainly they cannot make it public.

I am not criticizing the devs. They have their rights to do more profitable things and they are also under the pressure of their angel investors now. I am just expressing my own frustration and warn others that Symboint investors spend money not for counterparty but only for private ledgers for banks.
deliciousowl

Activity: 432
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 10:23:38 AM

I am not criticizing the devs. They have their rights to do more profitable things and they are also under the pressure of their angel investors now. I am just expressing my own frustration and warn others that Symboint investors spend money not for counterparty but only for private ledgers for banks.

So what? They said their software can be connected to Counterparty and is all part of the tech stack. Private ledgers are great for making money, and many vastly successful  Linux distributions use exactly the same business model. You are warning others that Symbiont isn't spending money on Counterparty... but all their activity and statements suggest that they are. Where's your evidence?

Also, smart contracts are waiting on Ethereum to have a stable release, then they will be ported. Stability and performance updates are happening regularly (see last week for example). This 'delay' has nothing to do with XCP devs. It's a strategic decision. And you realize that all of the core devs of Counterparty are still working on it?  

And XCP is open source, so anyone is free to contribute code. You don't need to wait for investors or devs.

BitThink
Legendary

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 01:49:10 PM

So what? They said their software can be connected to Counterparty and is all part of the tech stack. Private ledgers are great for making money, and many vastly successful  Linux distributions use exactly the same business model. You are warning others that Symbiont isn't spending money on Counterparty... but all their activity and statements suggest that they are. Where's your evidence?

Also, smart contracts are waiting on Ethereum to have a stable release, then they will be ported. Stability and performance updates are happening regularly (see last week for example). This 'delay' has nothing to do with XCP devs. It's a strategic decision. And you realize that all of the core devs of Counterparty are still working on it?  

And XCP is open source, so anyone is free to contribute code. You don't need to wait for investors or devs.
Do you mean we can enable smart contract  in mainnet by ourselves without permission of core dev?
deliciousowl

Activity: 432
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 06:44:41 PM

Do you mean we can enable smart contract  in mainnet by ourselves without permission of core dev?

Yes. You can make a fork, and if people prefer to use that one, then it will be the main fork regardless of the devs. But if you manage to implement that, it makes sense that the devs will simply add your code to the official repo.

But keep in mind that the limitation on smart contracts is waiting for Ethereum to finish them, so that there aren't any consensus issues later. This is all extremely security critical code, which makes it even more challenging. Counterparty regularly has formal security audits, bug bounties, and a high standard for security. If you can ensure that you retain consensus with Ethereum, and create production ready code which stands up to the security parameters, then I'm sure the dev team will consider it. You can have smart contracts in the next 24 hours, if you happen to be some form of rainman savant.

bitcoinrocks
Legendary

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 09:16:46 PM

Has anyone heard that Swarm switched from Counterparty to Colu?
Matt Y

Activity: 647
Merit: 510

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2015, 09:35:58 PM

Has anyone heard that Swarm switched from Counterparty to Colu?

Yeah. The project is a disaster.

bitcoinrocks
Legendary

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 09:39:05 PM

Is there any way to refresh asset balances in Counterwallet without logging out/in?
BitThink
Legendary

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 12:15:50 AM
Last edit: October 11, 2015, 12:28:01 AM by BitThink

Do you mean we can enable smart contract  in mainnet by ourselves without permission of core dev?

Yes. You can make a fork, and if people prefer to use that one, then it will be the main fork regardless of the devs. But if you manage to implement that, it makes sense that the devs will simply add your code to the official repo.

But keep in mind that the limitation on smart contracts is waiting for Ethereum to finish them, so that there aren't any consensus issues later. This is all extremely security critical code, which makes it even more challenging. Counterparty regularly has formal security audits, bug bounties, and a high standard for security. If you can ensure that you retain consensus with Ethereum, and create production ready code which stands up to the security parameters, then I'm sure the dev team will consider it. You can have smart contracts in the next 24 hours, if you happen to be some form of rainman savant.

Yes exactly. The reason it has not been enabled is just lacking a man doing things you listed above. Now you know what I mean.

No need to argue anymore. No one really knows what happened except themselves. My personal opinion is that  If they really care about the future of counterparty, they'd better hand over the control to someone having enough time and energy and then become a sponsor instead of a part time core dev.
Matt Y

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2015, 12:28:57 AM

Yes exactly. The reason it has not been enabled is just lacking a man doing things you listed above. Now you know what I mean.

No need to argue anymore. No one really knows what happened except themselves. If they really care about the future of counterparty, they should hand over the control to someone have enough time and energy and become sponsor instead of a part time core dev.

Lol. You're missing one of his points, which is that they still work on it.... more than anyone. But yeah, go find someone that wants to donate their time and work on Counterparty for free and I'm sure they'll be recognized for their efforts.

BitThink
Legendary

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 01:59:56 AM

No need to argue anymore. No one really knows what happened except themselves. If they really care about the future of counterparty, they should hand over the control to someone have enough time and energy and become sponsor instead of a part time core dev.

Lol. You're missing one of his points, which is that they still work on it.... more than anyone. But yeah, go find someone that wants to donate their time and work on Counterparty for free and I'm sure they'll be recognized for their efforts.
Yes I know what you mean. This is not a normal open source project people working just for fun and recognization. after the initial distribution, the new comers can only work hard to make someone else millionaire. If someone really want to do something, they'd better develop something new so that they can have larger share and also better recognization. That's the largest challenge here.
Matt Y

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2015, 02:19:54 AM

Yes I know what you mean. This is not a normal open source project people working just for fun and recognization. after the initial distribution, the new comers can only work hard to make someone else millionaire. If someone really want to do something, they'd better develop something new so that they can have larger share and also better recognization. That's the largest challenge here.

Considering someone could buy 0.5% of the total currency for less than 15k, it would not take much for a person to buy enough XCP for the success of the project to matter to them. They can also work on it for both fun and recognition as well. I'm not sure if you're trolling with your posts or if you really believe this stuff at this point.

BitThink
Legendary

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 02:54:34 AM

Considering someone could buy 0.5% of the total currency for less than 15k, it would not take much for a person to buy enough XCP for the success of the project to matter to them. They can also work on it for both fun and recognition as well. I'm not sure if you're trolling with your posts or if you really believe this stuff at this point.
You can look at the volume and the market depth to see whether your way to buy 0.5% works. Moreover, this thread is so quiet and you can count the posters with just one hand. I doubt the number of regular readers are much higher. Then Why I troll here? Nobody watching. I post here just to warn the newcomers don't be hurt by the next pump caused by some good news of Symbiont getting more investment. Disclaimer: I have more than 1000 XCP on the ask wall. I feel much better if they bought by someone really know the risks.
Matt Y

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2015, 02:56:28 AM

Troll confirmed. Have a good one.

BitThink
Legendary

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 03:21:39 AM

You can disagree with me and I am not trying to persuade you anyway. But calling others troll in my opinion is not so polite.
Matt Y

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2015, 03:54:32 AM

You can disagree with me and I am not trying to persuade you anyway. But calling others troll in my opinion is not so polite.

Hey guys, look, here is the only person on Bitcointalk that wants to make sure buyers are informed if they buy his coins off an exchange... He's so nice he's willing to disparage the project as he tries to liquidate his position in order to make sure all's fair for the strangers that may be on the same exchange he is.

Yeah, seems likely.

BitThink
Legendary

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 07:15:49 AM

Hey guys, look, here is the only person on Bitcointalk that wants to make sure buyers are informed if they buy his coins off an exchange... He's so nice he's willing to disparage the project as he tries to liquidate his position in order to make sure all's fair for the strangers that may be on the same exchange he is.

Yeah, seems likely.
Is that really so weird?

I bought friedcat stock at more than 2 BTC, and most people shout there below 2.5 was always bargain, but still someone warned that the profit of mining could not be sustentable. I was grateful to those guys later although I was not wise enough to follow their warning then.

For XCP, think about those bought around 0.02 after the claim ETH had been ported to Counterparty. They thought overstock would support XCP. Then when Symbiont got invested, another pump to around 0.009.  I sold part of my holdings in both pumps, cause I follow the method to sell 10% after every doubling of price. I did not realized that was just ugly pump and dump. Now the situation here become More clear  and I kind of  feel the pain of who bought at the peak of pumping. That's the reason I decide to leave but meanwhile try to be the guy who warn the new comers, just like those guys I feel grateful in friedcat thread.

Sorry if I offend true believers here. Still wish the project the best. Anyway that's good to me too since I still keep some as the memorium.
BitThink
Legendary

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 07:29:36 AM
Last edit: October 11, 2015, 12:35:56 PM by BitThink

Yeah, seems likely.
Btw I said again and again I am not disparage any project and blame any dev. What I said is just counterparty is a great project and devs are great too. Unfortunately because core devs had their own company and own project, they don't have enough time to spend on counterparty any more. They don't own anybody anything, so it is completely fair.

As for " may be on the same exchange". There's only one de facto exchange for XCP, poloniex, which counts more than 85% percent of daily volume, and the daily volume is 1 or 2 BTC most of time. Matt, I believe you are a true holder, since you seems not familiar with these facts at all.

Finally I am not "so nice". I've got enough profit from XCP, and when my asks there could be sold does not matter so much already. Moreover, even I warn here now, I don't think my word will change anything. There most likely will be another pump and eat up my litter ask orders there.
Pages: « 1 ... 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 [591] 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 ... 661 »
  Print  

Jump to: