Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:14:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 [103] 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 ... 661 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XCP] Counterparty - Pioneering Peer-to-Peer Finance - Official Thread  (Read 1276299 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Patel
Legendary

Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2014, 05:20:57 PM

I am getting this same error

When doing what? If I understand all of this correctly, the burn period is over, so running a burn command like in your quoted text should be rejected.

Forgot to say its for a send.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kdrop22

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 05:21:10 PM

We are on Reddit - upvote for visibility.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1wtz2b/2124_btc_destroyed_in_proofofburn/
sixteendigits

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 05:30:45 PM

The guy selling WEED on the Dex gave me a marketing idea.

Of course you can sell weed on XCP! A Decentralized Silk Road is just a sub-feature of XCP. All you need is a guy with enough trust to issue an asset corresponding to say 1 oz of his product.

The forum would have to exist elsewhere, but transactions could be conducted entirely through XCP. The authorities could shut down the forum, but again there would be no money exchanged there. They sure as hell can't shut down XCP.

Silk Road made up something like 50% of Bitcoin transaction volume at one point.

Technology to support a decentralized virtual black market is live today. We live in the future.

Holy shit, you are right.  I guess I didn't stretch my imagination enough and thought of it more as a protocol merely for exchange of financial assets and virtual goods, but really this can be an exchange for ANYTHING.

I knew I was gonna regret not burning more BTC, this is gonna be huge.
ddink7
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 05:37:57 PM

This is so big that I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it.

Let's try something simple. How do I exchange XCP for BTC? I put up a trade in counterpartyd, then someone accepts my trade and my XCP go into escrow. The buyer then sends BTC to the address, and counterpartyd verifies that the BTC have arrived and releases my XCP to the buyer? Is that correct?

Dash - Digital Cash
https://www.dash.org/
ddink7
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 05:58:19 PM

Let's try something simple. How do I exchange XCP for BTC? I put up a trade in counterpartyd, then someone accepts my trade and my XCP go into escrow. The buyer then sends BTC to the address, and counterpartyd verifies that the BTC have arrived and releases my XCP to the buyer? Is that correct?

I think in order to prevent double-spending your XCP are put into escrow as soon as you put up a trade, not when it gets matched.

Gotcha. But everything else works basically the same way? The buyer doesn't get my XCP until counterpartyd sees the BTC has been sent to the designated address?

Dash - Digital Cash
https://www.dash.org/
PhantomPhreak (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 300

Counterparty Chief Scientist and Co-Founder

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 06:16:18 PM

Also, the bug that Patel reported before, about cancels not recrediting escrowed funds, has been fixed in both master and develop (but the fix is still somewhat untested).

Thank you Phantom,

Do I have to rebuild the database? The wallet still does not show the XCP.

I pulled the latest git's, and ran setup.py

From which branch? Try running 'counterpartyd reparse'.
wizzardTim
Legendary

Activity: 1708

Reality is stranger than fiction

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 06:19:03 PM

Any clarification on BTCPAY?

Behold the Tangle Mysteries! Dare to know It's truth.

- Excerpt from the IOTA Sacred Texts Vol. I
Patel
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2014, 06:38:20 PM
Last edit: February 04, 2014, 01:59:40 AM by Patel

Here are some useful commands

cd C:\counterpartyd_build
C:\Python32\python.exe run.py server

C:\Python32\python.exe run.py send --from=1xx --quantity=xx --asset=XCP --to=1xx

C:\Python32\python.exe run.py order --from=1xx --get-quantity=xx --get-asset=XCP --give-quantity=xx --give-asset=BTC --expiration=10 --fee_required=.001

C:\Python32\python.exe run.py btcpay --order-match-id=[enter tx hashes of both orders, combined]

C:\Python32\python.exe run.py cancel --offer-hash=[enter tx hash here]
panonym

Activity: 266

Help and Love one another ♥

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 06:40:06 PM
Last edit: February 03, 2014, 07:29:14 PM by panonym

Hi everyone
Over 30 pages to catch up after a few days of break, such communication Grin
Things appear to go well.

I didn't test cancel yet. Good to know the funds return have been fixed.
Glad to hear the GUI is becoming more concret.
By 15feb will we see an alpha version? or is it the beginning of a dedicated bounty raising?

GUI is great, but personally it's not what I'm waiting the most for.
As it still require the full Bitcoin blockain synced with txindex=1 & the XCP DB, for any trading use.
Which therefore might not speed up demand as much as some hope, 'coz install&gateway still are not that friendly for newbie.

I saw that 6 BTC where traded on Google Doc for 600 XCP, that's a nice start. 0.01BTC/XCP = 100XCP/BTC
Personally I think to wait 0.02BTC/XCP = 50XCP/BTC, and even then 'might only sell a little.

It's great that GUI, usage, doc and everything is improving. You're all doing an amazing job.
But strictly on a monetary point of view: we need a easier trading gateway.

Both the DEX & Google Doc have some disadvantage.
Don't get me wrong, I love the decentralized exchange.
(That may be the main feature that made me wish to burn that much)
But centralized exchange have for advantage to be easy & therefore allow massing buyer incoming.

I was thinking about a middle-way solution.
No idea if that is technically possible to make in a safe way, but here is a draft:

- early adopter & experimented ones can broadcast sell order of XCP4BTC on the DEX.
- dev need to create/add an alternative OrderID (a partial/sell one, different from a match one)  
- then outsider can easily trade their BTC for XCP (or assets) by using blockchain.info
  simply by checking on blockscan.com for existing valid ext-sell-OrderID
  BTC seller have to be very careful while adding a specific message along their transaction
  counterypartyd would check the communication
  When a BTC transaction with the specific data is detected (multi-sig ? something similar to what btcpay output write),
  the XCP in hold would be released/transferred to the XCPbuyer/BTCseller-pubkey

Over a few weeks with cooperation from different community member we could reach a semi-centralized exchange.
50% centralized with decentralized core.

---

In any case, the XCP seller would still have to use the DEX.
Just like now: need two order matching, then a btcpay from the BTCseller
Or the solution proposed upper.
The sole downside I see is the work it ask.
- the XCPcoredev must make modification to XCPd to allow XCP&Asset release/exchange without the internal btcpay.
  [Is it do-able?]
- Blockscan webmaster will also have stuff to do, but with the advantage that - mtbitcoin - you will not have to manage the security trouble/responsibility that come with a regular exchange or online wallet.
   Just listing the current OrderID(SellID) of valid XCP sell order.
- This solution would serve as secondary gateway.
  Easier & faster that the DEX, but with disadvantage that order are not match "at best" anymore.  
  They are at fixed rate, with fixed XCPseller pubkey-destination,
  where order/sell validity much be checked on blockscan with a slight trust issue toward the WM (& blockchain.info WM)

Despite all these downside, I think this second gateway would bring a huge boost of XCP market value.
Main gateway use should still be considered the main & better one.
But finally people would no longer need solution such as Google Doc (where the trust/scam factor is much worst - and not fast / real time).

Thanks for reading.
All comments appreciated.

edit:
MUCH simpler solution, perhaps...
I don't understand the multisig stuff, or should I write: how it is implemented/transmitted. (2of3 I catch)

What exactly is done when the command order and btcpay are sent?
Couldn't that be replicated outside counterpartyd?
If order50XCPfor1BTC generate a text that is linked to a BTC transaction, it should be possible to generate this text manually and then send 0.0001BTC to the right pubkey with the correct data.
Allowing to create a match on the DEX without using XCPd.
Then do the same with btcpay equivalent.
Result: any XCPbuyer would just have to send 2 BTC transaction, while being careful with the data.
Trustless, secure, decentralized, not much work. Just a tuto for manually get the right data.
(Or a tuto how to send specific multisig transaction with the right data)

Sry for the over-long post, no direct thought broadcasting capacity available at the moment ~.~
rotalumis

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 06:54:19 PM

I think in order to prevent double-spending your XCP are put into escrow as soon as you put up a trade, not when it gets matched.

Gotcha. But everything else works basically the same way? The buyer doesn't get my XCP until counterpartyd sees the BTC has been sent to the designated address?

What happens if the XCP sale offer expires before the BTC arrive? Are you now at the mercy of the seller to return your BTC or choose to honor the trade? If I have understood correctly, Counterparty can only escrow XCP and assets generated inside its system.
Patel
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2014, 06:57:29 PM

What happens if the XCP sale offer expires before the BTC arrive? Are you now at the mercy of the seller to return your BTC or choose to honor the trade? If I have understood correctly, Counterparty can only escrow XCP and assets generated inside its system.

your btc don't leave when you place an order, after an order is matched, then you send the btc. I am not sure if orders will stay matched after expiration though.
JahPowerBit

Activity: 335
Merit: 255

Counterparty Developer

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 07:04:44 PM

I think yes, you are at the mercy of the seller..
Patel
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2014, 07:07:18 PM

Also, the bug that Patel reported before, about cancels not recrediting escrowed funds, has been fixed in both master and develop (but the fix is still somewhat untested).

Thank you Phantom,

Do I have to rebuild the database? The wallet still does not show the XCP.

I pulled the latest git's, and ran setup.py

From which branch? Try running 'counterpartyd reparse'.

I ran reparse, but it says its not a valid choice.

C:\counterpartyd_build>C:\Python32\python.exe run.py reparse
usage: counterpartyd [-h] [-V] [-v] [--force] [--testnet] [--testcoin]
                     [--unsigned] [--data-dir DATA_DIR]
                     [--database-file DATABASE_FILE]
                     [--config-file CONFIG_FILE] [--log-file LOG_FILE]
                     [--bitcoind-rpc-connect BITCOIND_RPC_CONNECT]
                     [--bitcoind-rpc-port BITCOIND_RPC_PORT]
                     [--bitcoind-rpc-user BITCOIND_RPC_USER]
                     [--bitcoind-rpc-password BITCOIND_RPC_PASSWORD]
                     [--rpc-host RPC_HOST] [--rpc-port RPC_PORT]
                     [--rpc-user RPC_USER] [--rpc-password RPC_PASSWORD]
                     [--zeromq-host ZEROMQ_HOST] [--zeromq-port ZEROMQ_PORT]

{server,send,order,btcpay,issuance,broadcast,bet,dividend,b
urn,cancel,address,asset,wallet,market,purge}
counterpartyd: error: argument action: invalid choice: 'reparse' (choose from 's
erver', 'send', 'order', 'btcpay', 'issuance', 'broadcast', 'bet', 'dividend', '
burn', 'cancel', 'address', 'asset', 'wallet', 'market', 'purge')

I pulled the latest git using

git pull origin master
cd C:\counterpartyd_build\dist\counterpartyd
git pull origin master
rotalumis

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 07:12:08 PM

your btc don't leave when you place an order, after an order is matched, then you send the btc. I am not sure if orders will stay matched after expiration though.

I think we have the same question...

That would make the examples I saw of trades (not real ones) with expirations of 3 to 5 blocks very tight, no? Especially when you account for the randomness of block generation.

cryptrol

Activity: 637
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 07:19:01 PM

purgue will reparse the counterparty DB.
PhantomPhreak (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 300

Counterparty Chief Scientist and Co-Founder

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 07:24:20 PM

I think we have the same question...

That would make the examples I saw of trades (not real ones) with expirations of 3 to 5 blocks very tight, no? Especially when you account for the randomness of block generation.

You don't want to do a BTCpay right before the order match is set to expire (especially in the future, when blocks are closer to being full).
Patel
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2014, 07:26:39 PM

purgue will reparse the counterparty DB.

Thank you!  Grin

Thanks Phantom for the fix, the XCP is now showing in the wallet.
panonym

Activity: 266

Help and Love one another ♥

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 07:36:12 PM
Last edit: February 03, 2014, 07:53:29 PM by panonym

I see a few have trouble to grasp the order & btcpay process.
These 2 example might help:

Alice give 50 XCP for 1 BTC, blocktime 100 [XCP put in escrow, timer 1]
Bob give 1 BTC for 50 XCP, blocktime 10 [no BTC put in escrow, timer 2]
Need 1 blocktime to match
Bob will have 9 blocktime to btcpay with the matching Order ID [timer 3 = new timer]

Alice give 50 XCP for 1 BTC, blocktime 20 [XCP put in escrow only a short time]
Bob give 1 BTC for 50 XCP, blocktime 200 [not BTC put in escrow]
Need 1 blocktime to match
Bob will have 19 blocktime to btcpay the matching Order ID

I haven't test, but I guess if there is only 1blocktime left for a matching order:
either it pass at the last moment and the exchange is done
or there is a message error that the Order ID has expired.

I hope it helped.
Tired, sorry if I answered aside to something that wasn't asked.
wizzardTim
Legendary

Activity: 1708

Reality is stranger than fiction

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 07:37:32 PM

Here are some useful commands

C:\Python32\python.exe run.py server

C:\Python32\python.exe run.py send --from=1xx --quantity=xx --asset=XCP --to=1xx

C:\Python32\python.exe run.py order --from=1xx --get-quantity=xx --get-asset=XCP --give-quantity=xx --give-asset=BTC --expiration=3 --fee_required=.001

C:\Python32\python.exe run.py btcpay --order-match-id=[enter tx hashes of both orders, combined]

C:\Python32\python.exe run.py cancel --offer-hash=[enter tx hash here]
Thank you

Behold the Tangle Mysteries! Dare to know It's truth.

- Excerpt from the IOTA Sacred Texts Vol. I
rotalumis

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 07:39:41 PM

You don't want to do a BTCpay right before the order match is set to expire (especially in the future, when blocks are closer to being full).

Can this be foolproofed somehow before going mainstream? I'd hate to think of all the posts on the forums when people start losing BTC. Maybe the BTCpay operation can accept an order match number as an optional parameter and the escrow time extended if necessary for the amount of that specific order only, provided BTCpay is called before the offer expires. The number of blocks to extend would be based on what the protocol determines is reasonable at the time or could be hardcoded initially.
Pages: « 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 [103] 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 ... 661 »
  Print  

Jump to: