Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:54:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Silk Road: anonymous marketplace. Feedback requested :)  (Read 152687 times)
lemonginger

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

firstbits: 121vnq

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 01:49:00 PM

I don't know what Bitcoin can do in regrds its relationship to SR, maybe doing nothing is the best thing right now. 

Who is Bitcoin? How can it "do" anything? Put a statement on the website that BTCs are not to be used for transactions that are illegal in their country of origin or destination?

Implementing harm reduction into its business model is not only the right thing to do, it also gives SR more credibility as a viable alternative to the street.

I'm all for harm reduction, but the US does not have a smidgen of sense when it relates to drug warrior crusading. If you think packaging vicodins with instructions for doing a cold water extraction or telling people not to trip for the first time without a sitter is going to draw heat off of silk road, I think you're wrong.

Those of you that think bitcoins shouldn't be used for illegal transactions have a golden opportunity. If what you say is true, then fork the project, start mining, and when the inevitable BTC shutdown occurs you will be in perfect place to offer people a perfectly safe and centralized peer-to-peer currency.
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
greenfloyd

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2011, 03:18:44 PM

Who is Bitcoin? How can it "do" anything? Put a statement on the website that BTCs are not to be used for transactions that are illegal in their country of origin or destination?

Since Bitcoin is a non-entity, entity I guess it doesn't matter that many people will identify it with that web site that sells drugs...

I'm all for harm reduction, but the US does not have a smidgen of sense when it relates to drug warrior crusading. If you think packaging vicodins with instructions for doing a cold water extraction or telling people not to trip for the first time without a sitter is going to draw heat off of silk road, I think you're wrong.

That is simply not true.  There are many people in every city and most public health agencies working full-time to reduce the harms of drug abuse.  Of course you are right about the "drug warriors" far outnumber HR workers.  I'm not suggesting HR will "draw heat off of Silk Road," in fact it might even increase it when more people realize this is a better way to handle hard drugs.  I believe giving people basic operating instructions should be SOP, both for ethical and pr reasons.

Those of you that think bitcoins shouldn't be used for illegal transactions have a golden opportunity. If what you say is true, then fork the project, start mining, and when the inevitable BTC shutdown occurs you will be in perfect place to offer people a perfectly safe and centralized peer-to-peer currency.

I don't get it?  If who said what?  What's "fork the project" mean?  Mining? What is BTC
baeF3gah

Activity: 2

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 12:34:31 AM

Trying to connect to Silk Road I get a blank page. Is anybody else experiencing the same problem?

Viewing the source, I get:

<span style="float:right"><form action="http://ianxz6zefk72ulzz.onion/index.php/hidden/login" method="post" accept-charset="utf-8"><span class="flashdata"> </span><span class="flashdata"> </span><br /><input type="text" name="user" value=""  /><input type="password" name="pass" value=""  /><input type="submit" name="submit" value="Go"  /></form></span>

Have they been busted by Law Enforcement already?
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 12:43:32 AM

Trying to connect to Silk Road I get a blank page. Is anybody else experiencing the same problem?

<span style="float:right"><form action="http://ianxz6zefk72ulzz.onion/index.php/hidden/login" method="post" accept-charset="utf-8"><span class="flashdata"> </span><span class="flashdata"> </span><br /><input type="text" name="user" value=""  /><input type="password" name="pass" value=""  /><input type="submit" name="submit" value="Go"  /></form></span>

Why does this keep coming up?  No, Tor is unreliable by it's nature.  It's very unlikely that the feds could isolate Silk Road's server and less likely that they are stupid enough to put it where the feds can get to it.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
baeF3gah

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 12:54:09 AM

Why does this keep coming up?  No, Tor is unreliable by it's nature.  It's very unlikely that the feds could isolate Silk Road's server and less likely that they are stupid enough to put it where the feds can get to it.
OK. Thanks for the clarification.
mewantsbitcoins

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 01:25:44 AM

Or even if they do, it would be useless to them
NaN

Activity: 31

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 01:30:53 AM

Just watched it go down myself.  Connected once just fine, and then the white screen.  Could be a bad node.  Glad to see others are experiencing the same problem, and that I didn't get banned or something crazy like that...

I'll try again some other time or change my VPN server to another coast and report back!

BTW: GoldenFrog's VPN works great as another added layer of protection
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 02:39:39 AM

so how do you register for an user name with silk road? all I see is a login box with no register link.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
Lpanther

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 03:02:19 AM

Just watched it go down myself.  Connected once just fine, and then the white screen.  Could be a bad node.  Glad to see others are experiencing the same problem, and that I didn't get banned or something crazy like that...

I'll try again some other time or change my VPN server to another coast and report back!

Well, I signed up less than 48 hours ago and now experience the two text boxes and submit button, but when entering my username and password I can log in and navigate through the website normally.
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 03:17:25 AM

Well, I signed up less than 48 hours ago and now experience the two text boxes and submit button, but when entering my username and password I can log in and navigate through the website normally.

Can people still register? mind send me the register link?

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
Lpanther

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 03:26:20 AM

Been looking for it for awhile, currently unavailable. There's currently a discussion on the forums about invite only options, etc. However noone has even mentioned the current situation other than the post I just left, If invites end up being the only way to gain accounts ill post to send them, as I'm sure many others will.
NaN

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 04:04:38 AM

I think an invite system would probably be a good idea for them.  Like What.CD (to get back on topic)...

As soon as I ran into this problem I started trying to guess the registration route.  Can someone with an account log in and then log out to see if they can get a bead on the register link to paste here?

It has to be something on the server end, since I refreshed my identity and changed my VPN.
NaN

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 04:27:52 AM

Cached pages reveal the registration link, but it appears all routes crash back to the index.  The admins are defiantly putting a halt on all new users...  It used to be simply /register.php but that one doesn't work either.
foolofyork

Activity: 13

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 05:07:45 AM

Cached pages reveal the registration link, but it appears all routes crash back to the index.  The admins are defiantly putting a halt on all new users...  It used to be simply /register.php but that one doesn't work either.

Seems that logged-in users are still able to view the registration page and create accounts if one knows the registration URL.  I verified it by making a new account for myself.  I had to manually paste the registration URL into the browser from an existing logged-in account.
sganesh88

Activity: 1

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 05:09:28 AM

Well if anyone gets a definitive answer on what the hell happened please post it, or a way to get invited as a member. I spent the day figuring out how to use the whole bitcoin system that's the only reason I hadn't registered then I logged on to register and its just the 2 boxes so if anyone finds out... please help :/
foolofyork

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 05:28:13 AM

Well if anyone gets a definitive answer on what the hell happened please post it, or a way to get invited as a member. I spent the day figuring out how to use the whole bitcoin system that's the only reason I hadn't registered then I logged on to register and its just the 2 boxes so if anyone finds out... please help :/

Check your PMs Smiley
anotheralias

Activity: 5

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 05:31:28 AM

invites actually don't increase security at all

(you think a LEO would have a hard time getting an invitiation?)

and they increase the probability that the person you are dealing with is a LEO because of this. Average user gets frustrated, forgets about it after an hour. LEO gets paid to get an invite.

SR admins, please keep market free and open both as experiment in possibilities and because it actually offers best protection for users.
foolofyork

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 05:36:05 AM

invites actually don't increase security at all

(you think a LEO would have a hard time getting an invitiation?)

and they increase the probability that the person you are dealing with is a LEO because of this. Average user gets frustrated, forgets about it after an hour. LEO gets paid to get an invite.

SR admins, please keep market free and open both as experiment in possibilities and because it actually offers best protection for users.

While I somewhat agree with you, closed invite-only systems seem to work pretty well for private bittorrent trackers.  The notable difference, though, is that most content on SR is a quite a bit more illegal.  Still, it's worth the try especially after all the heat from the assholes at Gawker.
anotheralias

Activity: 5

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 05:42:42 AM

private bittorrent trackers.  The notable difference, though, is that most content on SR is a quite a bit more illegal.  Still, it's worth the try especially after all the heat from the assholes at Gawker.

Private trackers are about keeping seeding ratios up and preventing large influxes of leechers at one time. It's not even stopping the copyright police, mostly because they don't have to worry about it, can harvest there 10,000 IPs for the day's shake down laters from non-private trackers. It's not keeping law enforcement out. You think an invite only system would work for something that actually has law enforcement interest like a CP tracker?

There are two levels of security -- one relies on a small and close circle of trust where people are on a need to know basis and everyone is being vouched for. This only works in very small situations. Even then, not foolproof.

Many users - better security through obscurity. every small barrier you put up creates more problems for regular potential user, not a problem at all for someone whose job it is to circumvent them.
validity

Activity: 1

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 05:43:35 AM

Check your PMs Smiley

Did you find an answer? Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  

Jump to: