Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 05:50:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 [418] 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 ... 684 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Vertcoin - First Scrypt N | First Stealth Address - Privacy without mixer  (Read 1232525 times)
dotnetmin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 02:35:21 PM

Will vertcoin communicate its stand publicly? Will vertcoin when push comes to shove do the 'right' thing?

I don't know how many times we have to publicly say "VTC will hardfork if necessary to keep ASICs out" - we must have said it a hundred times!

I'll say it again, in case repetition number 101 will help - VTC will hardfork if that every becomes necessary to keep ASICs out. This isn't LTC, we're not going to suddenly decide to give up and capitulate in the face of a need to hardfork, we will do whatever is necessary to keep VTC decentralised and in part that means excluding ASICs by whatever means necessary.

Boris, i think a lot of people ( especially GPU miners ) including me are a bit  uncomfortable with the momentary situation in the whole market.
BTC is getting worse and worser and all other coins also. I would say nearly no coin is profitable to mine if you have to pay more than 0.15€ / kwh
(0,20uS$ / kwh ) mining with GPU´s. In germany it´s impossible. We have to pay between 0.25 and 0.35€ / kwh

All over discussions are around about statment from LTC devs and their comments around X11 and n-scrypt and an LTC hardfork.
Also a lot of post "nothing that is minable with a gpu is resitant against asics"

Here in the VTC area it´s compared with dark area very quiet. So i think maybe people are unsure how to go on now or maybe to shut down their
gpu based miners. You have to post more often VTC future plans and make people belive VTC could be their GPU mining future.

Timacek

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 03:06:19 PM

Hello everyone. Does the recent threats and exploits in KGW can/could be used with vertcoin? Because VTC is using kgw, so i wonder...
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 03:09:06 PM

Hello everyone. Does the recent threats and exploits in KGW can/could be used with vertcoin? Because VTC is using kgw, so i wonder...

All KGW coins that have made no effort to patch the problem are vulnerable.
SlipperySlope

Activity: 686
Merit: 501

Stephen Reed

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 03:11:48 PM
Last edit: April 04, 2014, 03:30:14 PM by SlipperySlope

Boris, i think a lot of people ( especially GPU miners ) including me are a bit  uncomfortable with the momentary situation in the whole market.
BTC is getting worse and worser and all other coins also. I would say nearly no coin is profitable to mine if you have to pay more than 0.15€ / kwh
(0,20uS$ / kwh ) mining with GPU´s. In germany it´s impossible. We have to pay between 0.25 and 0.35€ / kwh

Supposing that the next bitcoin bubble begins this summer and that it is similar to the previous two bubbles, then I expect altcoin prices to follow bitcoin upwards after the rally is obvious. In the months between now the rally, high-cost GPU miners will power down and await the rally. Miners are very likely to be postponing hardware purchase with coin as perhaps 5x more mining hardware can be purchased with the same held coin when coin values again dramatically rise.

When the next rally does occur, and maybe at the tail end of the rally in fall 2014, new scrypt ASICs will forever push scrypt coin difficulty out of reach for GPU miners.

I continue to rent my GPU rigs to scrypt miners at low profit, and I am awaiting a more developed scrypt-N rig leasing demand before I switch over.
Timacek

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 03:21:12 PM

All KGW coins that have made no effort to patch the problem are vulnerable.

So does it mean, VTC particular is? Or have it been patched, you are not very concrete Smiley
cubevtc

Activity: 496
Merit: 250

Ceck me in livestream twith

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 04:00:53 PM

At current stage, any miner is welcome as we need to get 'time to block' to reasonable value (lets say 100Mhs for now).

Which network is better for particular miner is not exact, depends on how much variance you like. Typically, it's ideal if 'time to share' < 'time to block' for particular miner, assuming that pool has at least 2 hours to block.

What we are missing now badly is node scanner to inform people about second network.

Also, second network can grow very quickly if at least one big node from first network switches to second. And this helps to both networks, second gains needed hashrate whilst first lower share difficulty without impacting time to block much. Also without changing worker port, this can be done almost instantly. For miners this is also no problem as shares gained in first network will be awarded by rest of network. But I'm afraid pool operators have no reason to do it as this could lead to miners leaving if they don't like this move. At the opposite side, there are many angry miners mining on p2pool and getting nothing, which can be attracted.

I'm also curious about specifiing second network as low hashrate network. Yes, it is for now. But as there is no way how to enforce which network particular miners will join. One time second network can become bigger than first. Lets rather say 1st and 2nd network and educate miners about time to block/time to share consequences on p2pool.

I've got about 2.5mh/s on my private p2pool.  I think I'm on the "large" one, as we have 1052mh/s.  How exactly do I switch to the small one?  When I set it up I saw two VTCs "vtc" and "vtc2", and I chose the former.  Just change to "Vtc2" to use the small one? Smiley

M

If you want to setup own node, you should use https://github.com/donSchoe/p2pool-n or https://github.com/Lovok/p2pool-n with --net vertcoin2 startup option.

Or use one of public nodes:
http://lovok.no-ip.com:9172
http://us-east.p2pools.net:9172
http://208.43.199.115:9172
http://vert.marcsi.ch:9172
http://vtc.cubeconnex.com:9172
http://vertcoinpool.cloudapp.net:9172

Congratulation on the 2nd p2pool network reaching the 100Mhz milestone!  In fact, the 2nd network pool has a pool rate of 152 Mhz as I write.  Now that the 2nd network has grown a lot, low-hash miners are again feeling the 'pain' - time-to-share for a 100Khz-200Khz miner is more than 4.5 hours!  With variance, it can be a day before he can get a share.  How about creating a new 3rd p2pool for the low-hash miners?  

Timacek

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 05:08:18 PM

Ok I assume that KGW exploit impacts VTC as well, then I would sell all coins be you. Because price will plunge into oblivion
GeminiSimba

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

Ain't no party like a Counterparty!

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 05:24:26 PM

Anyone saying that the Devs don't update enough needs to relax. You obviously haven't been following the coin for more than a few days to even say something like that. In the first place I urge everyone to realize that digital currency is a long term investment. It is not going to make you an overnight millionaire. In fact, you probably won't see true profits from vertcoin or any other of the coins that will end up in the top 5 for the next two years or so. You want to know about developments? Don't just follow this website, go to the official vertcoin forum, go to the vertcoin page that shows the different projects you can donate to. I personally am awaiting to hear the results of our exposure at the Crypto Currency Convention in New York that VTC will have their own booth at (we all donated so we could get a booth there) and that will be April 9th....

Guys, you want constant daily updates? Take a chill pill, there is more than enough ways to involve yourself with the coin rather than consistently nagging at the devs who have better things to do right now than hear all these complaints of what you want the coin to do for  you, how about what will you do for the coin...

Here are some websites to look up-

http://vertcoinforum.com/  (This is the official forum with all the dev updates and also things that fans are developing to benefit the coin)

http://vertcoinmarket.com/ (This is the place you can see all the projects which have been funded and are currently looking for funding)

https://www.facebook.com/vertcoin?ref=br_tf       (Check the fb sometimes, they tend to update this page with current podcasts and such consistently)

"You see, you and I, we believe in life. But you want to fight for it, to kill for it, even to die--for life. I only want to live it."  (Ayn Rand)
BorisTheSpider

Activity: 210

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 05:49:45 PM

VTC is "vulnerable" to an exploit that:

a. Has not been demonstrated (although we do believe it to be real)
b. Is a 51% attack.

In other words, the KGW timewarp attack allows a 51% attacker to do one additional bad thing (alter the difficulty) which they shouldn't be able to do, that is on top of the other bad things they can already do such as double-spend, prevent transactions from being confirmed etc.

What I think people need to understand here is the context - to 51% attack VTC, you'd need the equivalent of about 15GH/s of normal scrypt - at 600kh/s per R9 280X that would be about 25,000 GPUs, about 4500 motherboards, 9000 PSUs, 6.3 Megawatts of electricity (and heat to get rid of) etc.

We have been discussing this issue for weeks, we're well aware of it, if it was desirable to fix it (or if a convenient opportunity to do so arose) we'd fix it.

People would better concentrate on securing the blockchain through a big hashrate, than be excessively concerned about an additional ability that a 51% attacker would have when a 51% attacker already can do "bad things" on any blockchain.

Timacek

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 05:53:59 PM

Boris thanks for the clarification nicely and well writen, easy to understand
OPTiK

Activity: 122

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 06:01:11 PM

At that time everyone will have ASIC chip in their tablets to help process transactions.
VTC is the only coin with devs laying out plan from the beginning to fight against ASIC.
I havent seen other coin devs mention they realize an active defense against ASIC is necessary.
Elitism is bad, so ASIC is bad for now before VTC goes mainstream.
My 2c.
+1.
Vertcoin developers are the only ones who said that they are ready to change POW function for VTC if ASICs will threaten VTC.
I sold 350+ LTC and bought 3700+VTC.

This is no guarantee. If Vert, says, attain Litecoin #2 status and goes to, say, 100-200-500mn market cap, an ASIC manufacturer could create 100 VTC asics and never announce them as such but simply use them to gain an enormous share from the mining (that more than pays out his own development cost). He'd simply spread his hashpower around to various pools so that his hashpower doesn't seem very concentrated, and then rape the network while everyone is thinking that its just GPU-farms hashrate since "there are no ASICs".

What then? If there are no announced asics how can the devs take the initiative to proceed to a hardfork? Based on what? The mere suspicion that there are ASIC miners out there in the wild?

So you're saying that a company would be able to hide the hash rate needed to profit on millions of dollars invested within a ~2 year period before N changes while simultaneously out-hashing a good portion of the network?  Roll Eyes

The cost is not in the many-million dollar range, the gain could be potentially far bigger and an ASIC farm doesn't really need to outhash the network, just go for a 20-30% of it and benefit accordingly.

If scrypt-n coins are spewing, say, 1000 btcs per day in mining output and someone gains 20-30% of them while masquarading as GPU farms that switched from scrypt, it's millions of USD per month.

Well, there's a lot of hypotheticals in there. The fact of the matter is a 20-30% increase in total hash rate would be pretty noticeable and would be impossible to hide when all of a sudden these high/identical hash rates start popping up out of no where and the diff shows a massive jump. Besides, I don't think you understand how much hash rate the network would have if VTC was pumping out '1000s of btc' a day. You would need a lot of ASICs to take up 20-30% of the network and it doesn't seem like something like that would stay a secret for very long.

Also, who says the devs aren't implementing some secret anti ASIC tactics here and there along the way Smiley
xingqiaoyin

Activity: 395
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 06:03:49 PM

Will vertcoin communicate its stand publicly? Will vertcoin when push comes to shove do the 'right' thing?

I don't know how many times we have to publicly say "VTC will hardfork if necessary to keep ASICs out" - we must have said it a hundred times!

I'll say it again, in case repetition number 101 will help - VTC will hardfork if that every becomes necessary to keep ASICs out. This isn't LTC, we're not going to suddenly decide to give up and capitulate in the face of a need to hardfork, we will do whatever is necessary to keep VTC decentralised and in part that means excluding ASICs by whatever means necessary.

All over discussions are around about statment from LTC devs and their comments around X11 and n-scrypt and an LTC hardfork.
Also a lot of post "nothing that is minable with a gpu is resitant against asics"

Here in the VTC area it´s compared with dark area very quiet. So i think maybe people are unsure how to go on now or maybe to shut down their
gpu based miners. You have to post more often VTC future plans and make people belive VTC could be their GPU mining future.

Boris had said it clearly "hardfork" that's the key to fight against ASIC.
Not sure how could he say it any clearer ?
I must assume that VTC had been coded to anticipate the need of hardforking from the start.
AlexGR
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 09:04:11 PM

At that time everyone will have ASIC chip in their tablets to help process transactions.
VTC is the only coin with devs laying out plan from the beginning to fight against ASIC.
I havent seen other coin devs mention they realize an active defense against ASIC is necessary.
Elitism is bad, so ASIC is bad for now before VTC goes mainstream.
My 2c.
+1.
Vertcoin developers are the only ones who said that they are ready to change POW function for VTC if ASICs will threaten VTC.
I sold 350+ LTC and bought 3700+VTC.

This is no guarantee. If Vert, says, attain Litecoin #2 status and goes to, say, 100-200-500mn market cap, an ASIC manufacturer could create 100 VTC asics and never announce them as such but simply use them to gain an enormous share from the mining (that more than pays out his own development cost). He'd simply spread his hashpower around to various pools so that his hashpower doesn't seem very concentrated, and then rape the network while everyone is thinking that its just GPU-farms hashrate since "there are no ASICs".

What then? If there are no announced asics how can the devs take the initiative to proceed to a hardfork? Based on what? The mere suspicion that there are ASIC miners out there in the wild?

So you're saying that a company would be able to hide the hash rate needed to profit on millions of dollars invested within a ~2 year period before N changes while simultaneously out-hashing a good portion of the network?  Roll Eyes

The cost is not in the many-million dollar range, the gain could be potentially far bigger and an ASIC farm doesn't really need to outhash the network, just go for a 20-30% of it and benefit accordingly.

If scrypt-n coins are spewing, say, 1000 btcs per day in mining output and someone gains 20-30% of them while masquarading as GPU farms that switched from scrypt, it's millions of USD per month.

Well, there's a lot of hypotheticals in there. The fact of the matter is a 20-30% increase in total hash rate would be pretty noticeable and would be impossible to hide when all of a sudden these high/identical hash rates start popping up out of no where and the diff shows a massive jump.

Not if ASICs came online gradually instead of "spiking".
GeminiSimba

Activity: 176

Ain't no party like a Counterparty!

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 09:07:54 PM

I love the message given in Zero Fiat's most recent update, we need to definitely focus on helping to make vertcoin something which can become a daily used decentralized currency that is "useful" and that will definitely increase our value significantly over time Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kHt27qNnaU

"You see, you and I, we believe in life. But you want to fight for it, to kill for it, even to die--for life. I only want to live it."  (Ayn Rand)
rfcdejong

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 09:15:39 PM

New Pool, Simple Vert

After more than a month of development on Simple Doge we are proud to announce the official release of Simple Vert mining pool. We've built a completely custom mining server and frontend to let us bring new features to the mining community.

• 1. Monitor your temperatures, fan speed, voltages, and much more from your phone or anywhere that has internet. After installing PowerPool Agent on your rig (don't worry, it's really easy) your stats page on our pool will show you an overview of the health of your rig.

Currently supports cgminer and it's variants. CUDAminer support is planned for the future.
  • 2. No registration required. Simply point your miner to `stratum+tcp://stratum.simplevert.com:3343` using your Vert address as your username and you're all setup. Optionally enter your username in the format `[Your Vert Address].[Worker Name]` and the graphs on your page will automatically split up by worker.

We look forward to seeing you there! If you have any feature suggestions, need some help getting setup, or just want to chat join our IRC channel.

Normal mining pool information:

* PPLNS payout system
* Default 1% donation with option to change to 0%
* Payout after every block found, no minimum balance, no payout fees

TLDR;
Quickstart Guide to mining with us
Stats Screenshot
PowerPool Agent (cgminer monitor) Installation and Download Instructions
IRC channel

PS: For those interested, all the software we've made is open source. Check it out on Github!

Nice, when the pool hits near 100 MH/s i will join or when the diff of vertcoin goes below 150 and the speed is at leasy 60 MH/s i will join.
Just to test it out, but 1 or 2 blocks a day isn't what i'm looking at Smiley
composedchaos

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 11:36:48 PM

No; https://vert.composedchaos.net will be only the pool web page.

There will be a backup soon.  In the meantime stratum will not be accessible at vert.composedchaos.net.  Email me directly and I can provide you a direct IP to use as backup.

Thank you Smiley

Pay Per Share

PPS MINING POOL

VERT.COMPOSEDCHAOS.NET
https://vert.composedchaos.net
Click Above Smiley
you have updated stratum address, can we use "old" one vert.compo... as backup, or you are going to removet when everybody migrate... ?
thanks Smiley
p.s. I like your pool Smiley

PoolMingo

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 12:30:10 AM

3/10 rewarded with 20 VTC blocks found!

Come on you can be the next!

join now at http://vertcoin.mingopool.com . First 10 blocks finders will be rewarded with 20 VTC, not from the pool wallet, will be awarded from the admin wallet!sou you'll receive pool earnings + 20VTC!

Give us some hashes! it will be worth!

AUTOMATED PAYMENTS
ONLINE SUPPORT
24/7 monitoring
Stratum
0% FEE
DDOS protection
PPLNS
VARDIFF
Powerfull server

WWW.MINGOPOOL.COM

DOGECOIN - 365 coin - CleanWaterCoin-  Vertcoin - RotoCoin - CatalonianCoin

CHAT CHANNEL #MINGOPOOL AT FREENODE

Thank you new miners for trust us, we can assure it will be worth
agx.io

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 01:51:03 AM

VTC volumes are on the move at agx.io! You can also earn 1% buy-side bonuses on DGB, NOBL, and VC.

Quality matters. Support matters. Check out our newest support infographic below.

- The Austin Global Team

Find us at:
agx.io
bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=507474
bitcointalk handles: "agx.io," "AustinGlobal"
twitter.com/AustinGlobalX
austinglobal.tumblr.com

AlexGR
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 05:50:23 AM

http://blissdevices.com/tech-specs/

"Scryptr also provides a high level of flexibility to support mining of newer coins that are “fairer” to miners such as Vertcoin by allowing configurable Scrypt parameters. Also, the chip’s PCIe interface enables faster and greater data transfer speeds, if and when new algorithms require more network data."

http://www.reddit.com/r/scryptmining/comments/20x6r0/bliss_devices_announces_new_prices_on_scrypt/cg8xcd6

"Our chip supports configurable N parameters which allows it to mine N-factor scrypt up to N=262144, which is still about 35 years away."

...so when can we expect the change of PoW?
Coelacanth

Activity: 44

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 05:51:08 AM

Please add this awesome block explorer to all official references.

http://vertexplorer.com/

https://i.imgur.com/nNcNXzB.png
Pages: « 1 ... 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 [418] 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 ... 684 »
  Print  

Jump to: