Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 08:11:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gavin will visit the Council on Foreign Relations  (Read 54974 times)
Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1001

All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 03:16:01 AM

Alot of influential governments have said close to zero about bitcoin up to now.

They have been waiting for the CFR to tell them what to do  Wink

That or they are trying to make up their minds, with how to go about things. eg.. a few loose ends need some tying up.. Wink

We must petition Gavin to simply decline the invite. Let them buy a mining rig, if they really want to learn about cryptos !

Should he go ? YAY or NAY ?

LETS BRING THIS TO A VOTE ! Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
minerva

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 03:19:43 AM

the best way to learn about your enemy, is to offer your enemy to speak

Tip-Jar: 15NN2YwMGAntKopJgAsFBJvfuCARkV62xo
JohnsonRobinson

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 03:24:24 AM

Hey, that's a good saying.
Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 03:43:41 AM

I'd rather see Luke Rudowski pay them a visit.

War criminal Henry Kissinger confronted..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4xgfaBTlt4

Tony Blair PWN'd !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQf2-3EiAxs

WeAreChange sticking it to the CFR scum.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9pDY_ny6Qo

Hey, that's a good saying.

Not when its done behind closed doors.

bobdude17

Activity: 454
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 03:46:43 AM

I'm usually pretty careful not to call people names.  Did I screw up?

I DO think there are lots of crazy conspiracy theories. I might even believe some of them myself, but that doesn't make me crazy (just "almost certainly wrong.").

RE: child exploitation:  Good example.  We all agree that child exploitation is BAD, right?

We might disagree about what (if anything) we should DO about it, but isn't it worth discussing whether or not there is something we MIGHT do about it?  For example, maybe offering mostly-anonymous bounties to reward anybody who gives information that leads to the arrest and conviction of people abusing children for profit or pleasure is a good idea.  Maybe those bounties could be paid in Bitcoin.

Maybe that is a terrible idea that will have awful consequences, but instead of rational discussion there's a knee-jerk GOVERNMENT BAD! that, in my humble opinion, is counter-productive to making the world a better place.

I don't like people assuming that they know what I'm thinking, or assume that because I'm willing to talk to people that I agree with those people, or assume that because I'm pragmatic about regulation I "want regulation."  For the record:  I'm mostly libertarian, I think we'd be just fine if we replaced 99.911% of regulations with voluntary, private, market-based solutions. But that ain't gonna happen any time soon.

Good response. People are way overthinking this. Why would any of you turn down this invitation? Hell, I would go just to see the inside of the building, the people and event. I am confused how answering some questions aligns you with an axis of evil?

Let's see, I could either be front and center on one of the most influential geopolitical stages for a couple hours, in a situation that I never imagined I would be in my entire life.... or I could have my normal Tuesday and watch the corndog going in circles inside my microwave?

Easy choice, why wouldn't you go?
dexX7
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 03:49:25 AM

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-09/13/digital-economy-task-force
"Bitcoin, Tor and Gates Foundation join task force to prevent child exploitation"

Interesting.

Thomson Reuters has teamed up with the International Centre for Missing & Exploited Children (ICMEC) to form the Digital Economy Task Force, which aims to address some of the risks surrounding digital currencies and the wider digital economy.

"This is a complex issue," said Ernie Allen, president and CEO of ICMEC. (...)

Ernie Allen was also one of the attendees of the senate hearing:

http://www.hsgac.senate.gov/hearings/beyond-silk-road-potential-risks-threats-and-promises-of-virtual-currencies
http://www.hsgac.senate.gov/download/?id=872d9e33-d0e4-452c-93d6-8816c4a75c47

JohnsonRobinson

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 04:04:17 AM

This whole meeting still seems like a power play on the CFR's part.

Did they offer to meet you on neutral turf?  It wouldn't hurt those cottage cheese smugglers to get off their loathsome spotty behinds to meet you at some conference hall that isn't part of their power base.

Just remember, if they start calling you Neo and insist on talking about red pills and blue pills, just get the hell out of there, as fast as humanly possible.
Patel
Legendary

Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 04:05:39 AM

Just remember, if they start calling you Neo and insist on talking about red pills and blue pills, just get the hell out of there, as fast as humanly possible.

They'll call him Mr. Andresen instead of Neo lol
Coolstoryteller

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 04:07:14 AM

Baron M.A. Rothschild - “Give me control over a nation’s currency and I care not who makes its laws.”

Yeah. I'm not sure what to think about this. The CFR is the top of the pyramid. The group is the promotional arm of the ruling elite (the men behind the central banks - http://www.rothschild.com/banking/home/). I was under the impression Bitcoin's main selling point was not to be associated or controlled by a central banking authority. Yet one of the lead developers is breaking bread with them? The reason why the USA has a national income tax is because of the CFR. It was declared "Unconstitutional" in 1895 and the CFR lobbied to get it passed through congress headed up by Senator Nelson Aldrich.

It's definitely time to start looking at a different currency.. One focused on anonymity vs exposition. I'd suggest Anoncoin, Stablecoin and the upcoming Zerocoin. Those currency developers see what's coming around the corner and are making preparations to safeguard holders not expose them. I guarantee the developers of any of those currencies would of told the CFR to eat a bag of d**cks rather than meet them.

"To be paranoid means to believe in delusions of danger and persecution. If the danger is real, and the evidence credible, then it cannot be delusional. To ignore the evidence, and hope that it CANNOT be true, is more an evidence of mental illness." - Terry Melanson

"Buy, sell, trade, chat. Leave nothing but a Shadow." - www.shadow.cash
JohnsonRobinson

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 04:08:50 AM

They'll call him Mr. Andresen instead of Neo lol

If he hears:  "I'm a Smith...Agent Smith." Time to bust an epic move out of there!
Coin_Master

Activity: 148

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 04:25:01 AM

@Goat
Great Pic.

@JohnsonRobinson
Did they offer to meet you on neutral turf?
They are too filled with self importance to meet anywhere but a location of their choosing.

@Coolstoryteller
That was pretty "Heavy".  I agree with Gavin there needs to be dialogue, for the good of Bitcoin.  I just hope he is prepared.
sarlangg

Activity: 130

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 04:27:13 AM

This thread was covered in a recent video by BitcoinChannel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhWFyhWTfFA
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 04:45:37 AM

Edit: We have got a bit off topic. I personally do not mind Gavin going to the meeting. I find it interesting that they want to talk with him. However I do find it a bit odd that the Bitcoin Foundation is a police service. Pretty shocked honestly and wonder if that was their goal the whole time. Seems they want control control control in every way.

I find it infuriating and insulting that the Bitcoin Foundation is all down with fight the crime of 'child exploitation', but has not done jack shit to find 'TradeFortress' who paid them.  Child exploitation is a heinous crime and I'd love to see all guilty parties castrated.  Literally.  All ten of them plus the dozens who are employed by the US as mercenaries.  It, like 'terrorism', is simply not a large problem but are invariably used just to get a foot in the door.  Scum like TF abound and they are definitely the low hanging fruit in terms of fighting problems in the economy.

As for presenting at the CFR I'm all for it, but it should be done from a reasonably well deserved position of strength.  It should be easy and completely justifiable to say "Look, Bitcoin derives it's strength from being an open project that the community supports, and that support comes, in part, from transparency.  We don't do private opaque meetings."  Unfortunately the Bitcoin Foundation threw that out the window from pretty much day one.

There are a lot of good reasons to not grovel before 'the powers that be' and it has nothing to do with some sort of machismo.  It has to do with principle and mechanics because operationally it will be easier to do the right thing by being polite and accommodating of reasonable requests, but also firm, separate, and operating with a defensive posture.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 06:13:01 AM

Why are so many so afraid of a visit?

You all have the power of choice. Dont like where a crypto currency is going? Vote with your feet. There is nothing to worry about. Just remain vigilant.

shackleford

Activity: 281

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 06:29:16 AM

"When you dance with the devil, the devil don't change - the devil changes you."

It is just common sense that "leaders" would be targeted for subversion. These CFR people are the complete opposite of libertarians. To be dismissive or to make a joke of real community concerns does not sit well.

I would personally prefer to have people in leadership positions that would ignore these organizations if not tell them to piss off and focus on improving the bitcoin system (the system that needed to be created because of these CFR types). I don't know the "leaders" of bitcoin, I have to hope that they have more guts and substance then to sell out to the wishes of these scum bags... the complete opposite of that "bobdude17" guy, who sounds like he would sell out for a ride in a private jet and/or a cheeseburger.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 06:30:05 AM

You all have the power of choice. Dont like where a crypto currency is going? Vote with your feet. There is nothing to worry about. Just remain vigilant.

I believe that is exactly what they are doing .... or you have a problem with participants expressing their opinions?

lunarboy

Activity: 544
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 06:47:31 AM
Last edit: January 22, 2014, 06:09:25 PM by lunarboy

ROCK   Cool ... GAVIN     Undecided  ..... HARD PLACE     Angry
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 08:37:35 AM

I believe that is exactly what they are doing .... or you have a problem with participants expressing their opinions?

Not at all. I want to emphasize that we are all in a position of power, not dependency. There is no reason to fear a visit so much.

Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 08:49:01 AM

Baron M.A. Rothschild - “Give me control over a nation’s currency and I care not who makes its laws.”

Yeah. I'm not sure what to think about this. The CFR is the top of the pyramid. The group is the promotional arm of the ruling elite (the men behind the central banks - http://www.rothschild.com/banking/home/). I was under the impression Bitcoin's main selling point was not to be associated or controlled by a central banking authority. Yet one of the lead developers is breaking bread with them? The reason why the USA has a national income tax is because of the CFR. It was declared "Unconstitutional" in 1895 and the CFR lobbied to get it passed through congress headed up by Senator Nelson Aldrich.

It's definitely time to start looking at a different currency.. One focused on anonymity vs exposition. I'd suggest Anoncoin, Stablecoin and the upcoming Zerocoin. Those currency developers see what's coming around the corner and are making preparations to safeguard holders not expose them. I guarantee the developers of any of those currencies would of told the CFR to eat a bag of d**cks rather than meet them.

"To be paranoid means to believe in delusions of danger and persecution. If the danger is real, and the evidence credible, then it cannot be delusional. To ignore the evidence, and hope that it CANNOT be true, is more an evidence of mental illness." - Terry Melanson

Ty for that, wise newb. Wink

Very well put.

guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 09:34:19 AM

Yeah, and when these currencies you suggest get big enough, The USG will start calling on them for meetings too. Nobody is safe from these bastards, and going to have a talk or meeting with them doesn't mean shit. Of course the government wants to know more about this. Do you really expect them to just sit back and do nothing? If I got an invite I'd go too and so would most if they had the balls. All expenses paid trip probably, and hey, I'm sure it'll be a little exciting getting even a tiny view of inside the establishment. You could always just troll them if you wanted, but I doubt that'd reflect well on BTC. Answer their questions, collect your money, leave. Bitcoin is going to keep moving ahead regardless and you'd be naive to think The Man isn't going to want to have a sniff around at some point.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: