Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 06:14:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoinica - Advanced Bitcoin Trading Platform  (Read 51022 times)
zhoutong (OP)
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2011, 11:40:29 PM

Thank you, Dad. I can see patterns in Mt. Gox charts but can not short nor set stops on Mt. Gox. I would like to understand Bitcoinica's behavior. Is it executing my BUY-STOP when the BID is greater than my BUY-STOP, or the BID/ASK mean, or what?

$3.05 STOP for a Mt. Gox $3 and $0.1 Bitcoinica spread were useful answers, but I'd prefer it confirmed by Zhou.

I can't really promise anything on the spread because it's set by an algorithm. There's some human factor behind it to adjust the market risk that we tolerate (the guaranteed liquidity we provide), but basically the spread mostly varies with market conditions.

According to my estimate, if there's a wall (at least 100 - 1,000 BTC) at $3.0000 and we're going to break that, the Bitcoinica price will be between $3.0087 and $3.0237. Therefore, if you set a stop at $3.05 and it's triggered, it's either the wall has already been broken, or the remaining of the wall is very insignificant (e.g. 80 BTC).

$3.05 should be fine in your case. Even though I personally confirmed this, this is not a guarantee. It's just the experience of most traders. You always have to take risk to strategize your trades.

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

Donations for my future Bitcoin projects: 19Uk3tiD5XkBcmHyQYhJxp9QHoub7RosVb
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
December 07, 2011, 05:36:12 AM

Thanks Zhou, I understand your hesitation to make a definitive statement. I don't want any guarantees, just to make the connection between triggers and published buy, mean, and sell prices.

Suppose the Mt. Gox price is currently $2.999 bouncing on a huge $3 wall. I would expect the Bitcoinica BUY price to be about $2.95 and SELL price to be maybe $3.05 (the actual spread prices don't matter in this example). Are you saying that my $3.05 STOP-BUY might be triggered when the SELL price is $3.05? I would have expected the STOP-BUY to be triggered when the BUY price is equal to or greater than the STOP-BUY order. ... or if published BUY and SELL prices have nothing to do with it, what triggers a stop order? When you say 'price', can you qualify that (such as the BUY-SELL mean)?

EDIT: Are you saying that Bitcoinica's algorithm anticipates bringing down a wall and will trigger orders before the movement actually happens on either Bitcoinica or Mt. Gox?

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
December 07, 2011, 01:41:39 PM

Thanks Zhou, I understand your hesitation to make a definitive statement. I don't want any guarantees, just to make the connection between triggers and published buy, mean, and sell prices.

Suppose the Mt. Gox price is currently $2.999 bouncing on a huge $3 wall. I would expect the Bitcoinica BUY price to be about $2.95 and SELL price to be maybe $3.05 (the actual spread prices don't matter in this example). Are you saying that my $3.05 STOP-BUY might be triggered when the SELL price is $3.05? I would have expected the STOP-BUY to be triggered when the BUY price is equal to or greater than the STOP-BUY order. ... or if published BUY and SELL prices have nothing to do with it, what triggers a stop order? When you say 'price', can you qualify that (such as the BUY-SELL mean)?

EDIT: Are you saying that Bitcoinica's algorithm anticipates bringing down a wall and will trigger orders before the movement actually happens on either Bitcoinica or Mt. Gox?

Why would it be 3.05? There's a "huge wall," so Bitcoinica doesn't have to worry about depth and it will most likely to be about 3-3.01.
You are probably correct about your stop.

(BFL)^2 < 0
iamzill

Activity: 677
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 07, 2011, 09:22:20 PM

Would it be possible to send out an email alert when there's a margin call?
BitMagic

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 05:12:54 PM

Thank you, Dad. I can see patterns in Mt. Gox charts but can not short nor set stops on Mt. Gox. I would like to understand Bitcoinica's behavior. Is it executing my BUY-STOP when the BID is greater than my BUY-STOP, or the BID/ASK mean, or what?

$3.05 STOP for a Mt. Gox $3 and $0.1 Bitcoinica spread were useful answers, but I'd prefer it confirmed by Zhou.

No need to be a jerk. The nature of your questions suggest you have a weak understanding of FOREX, and so I was giving you a response appropriate to your understanding. This is not an insult, it's a pretty complicated system.

I can't tell you exactly HOW the spread is calculated (and Z won't), and I can tell you that your stops and standing orders are executed based on Bitcoinica's Bid/Ask, which could be wildly different than anything you're seeing on Mt. Gox, in theory. The only relationships the sites share are 1) Bitcoinica trades on Mt. Gox, and 2) Bitcoinica's users trade at Mt. Gox. 

Because of those and arbitrage, you'll almost always see Bitcoinica's spread surround the current Mt. Gox price. But Mt. Gox's price is completely irrelevant to any of your profit and loss transactions on Bitcoinica, and the fact that you keep on it is, again, an indication that you're confused.

If your orders are not executing at exactly the Bid/Ask prices, it's due to something called "slippage": http://winninginvestor.quickanddirtytips.com/liquidity-slippage-selecting-stocks.aspx

I hope that helps, son.

Please give me your money, because I am a shameless libertarian elite who deserves your money more than you do: 9Hkao8U82WWDp6SQGn4k7ad9gT1LWeL5s3
netrin

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 10:28:17 PM

My question pertained not to spreads but to the precise trigger of the stop-buy, be it the ask price, a buy-ask median, or something more fuzzy. My eyeballs tell me the stops are triggered when the Bitcoinica ask is above my stop-buy, but I do not know for certain whether the ask is the precise trigger.

I sacrificed a few dollars when the Mt. Gox ask prices rose from $2.92 to $2.95. Bitcoinica charts show a wee bit over $2.94 and the Bitcoinica ask is currently a bit over $2.97 and the spread is about $0.8 at this moment:

Code:
Stop 1.0 $2.9300 2 hours ago Executed @ 2.9369
Stop 1.0 $2.9400 27 minutes ago Executed @ 2.9461
Stop 1.0 $2.9500 25 minutes ago Executed @ 2.9583
Stop 1.0 $2.9600 24 minutes ago Executed @ 2.965
Stop 1.0 $2.9700 24 minutes ago Executed @ 2.9769

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4564
Merit: 1276

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 06:37:42 AM

Here's an update on my experience with Bitcoinica.

It does appear that a monkey hammering on a keyboard can double it's money if they choose the correct binary answer to which way the market is going.

I funded with BTC but withdrew all by 8 BTC since I decided I had no real use for Bitcoinica at this time, but wanted to piss a few away for fun.

I had been futzing around losing money in seconds from about 2.20 to 2.33.  At around 2.33, I put in a 25 BTC 'buy limit order' for 3.1314 (which was actually an accident because I wanted to 'sell high'.)  After a time I did something to 'execute' iirc, and it converted immediately and automatically into a 'position'.

Within a few days my target had been met, but the lower end of the spread never reached the 3.1314 price, then the market dropped.  Just recently the lower end of the spread exceeded my 3.1314 target and what happened was...not a damn thing.

So I manually 'liquidated' and Bitcoinica credited me with around 20 USD (not BTC to my surprise.)  So now I have another problem in how to get things back to BTC.  Maybe I'll just try again to lose all my money so I don't have to worry about it.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
BitMagic

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 10:05:40 AM

My question pertained not to spreads but to the precise trigger of the stop-buy, be it the ask price, a buy-ask median, or something more fuzzy. My eyeballs tell me the stops are triggered when the Bitcoinica ask is above my stop-buy, but I do not know for certain whether the ask is the precise trigger.

I sacrificed a few dollars when the Mt. Gox ask prices rose from $2.92 to $2.95. Bitcoinica charts show a wee bit over $2.94 and the Bitcoinica ask is currently a bit over $2.97 and the spread is about $0.8 at this moment:

Code:
Stop 1.0 $2.9300 2 hours ago Executed @ 2.9369
Stop 1.0 $2.9400 27 minutes ago Executed @ 2.9461
Stop 1.0 $2.9500 25 minutes ago Executed @ 2.9583
Stop 1.0 $2.9600 24 minutes ago Executed @ 2.965
Stop 1.0 $2.9700 24 minutes ago Executed @ 2.9769

Again, it's triggered by the Bitcoinica bid/ask price listed at that moment, based on whether you're buying or selling. In a perfect world, you place a limit buy order at @$4/BTC, and as soon as the Bitcoinica ask price reaches $4 or above, it will execute the quantity you requested at $4. Vice versa for a sell order.

Reality: spread changes over time. So even if Mt. Gox price/BTC doesn't move, you could see the Bitcoinica spread move around based on trading activity, other liquidity concerns, or factors that are inherent to Bitcoinica's (undisclosed) algorithm. The point is that order execute based on Bitcoinica's bid/ask prices, and nothing else.

If you're seeing execution of orders at prices other than the bid/ask spread, it's due to slippage (or the occasional bug).

Please give me your money, because I am a shameless libertarian elite who deserves your money more than you do: 9Hkao8U82WWDp6SQGn4k7ad9gT1LWeL5s3
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 10:55:14 AM

Lets say the ask price right now is 3.20 right now, but I only want to buy if the price jumps to 3.5. How can I place an order to do that? If I try to buy at 3.5 now it fills at 3.2 right away. Thanks

Advanced Placement-> Order Type = Stop -> Price = 3.5

Put in your amount, click buy

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 11:52:31 AM

Lets say the ask price right now is 3.20 right now, but I only want to buy if the price jumps to 3.5. How can I place an order to do that? If I try to buy at 3.5 now it fills at 3.2 right away. Thanks

Advanced Placement-> Order Type = Stop -> Price = 3.5

Put in your amount, click buy

So, this will only fill if there is a rally to a least 3.5?    Thanks
It will fill as soon as bitcoinica's ask price is 3.5. So when MtGox is a bit lower, it might already get triggered.

BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 01:16:23 PM

Over 3.5 you mean? Yes, it might be slightly higher due to slippage.

macbook-air

Activity: 324
Merit: 260

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2011, 01:34:45 AM

Hello, I didn't receive my recent 489.84150013 BTC withdraw. I sent you an email to support at bitcoinica, but 16 hours have passed, got no replies.

zhoutong (OP)
VIP

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2011, 11:03:48 AM

Hello, I didn't receive my recent 489.84150013 BTC withdraw. I sent you an email to support at bitcoinica, but 16 hours have passed, got no replies.

Really sorry about this issue. Our BTC assets were mostly concentrated in Mt. Gox accounts recently. And our withdrawal wallet is out of funds.

We are currently trying to divert some Bitcoins from Mt. Gox to our wallets.

I have marked your transaction as "Pending Approval", so that you can cancel it any time and get your money back. I suggest you to withdraw in smaller amounts instead, such as 100 BTC, so that your funds won't get stuck when similar things happen.

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

JusticeForYou
VIP

Merit: 271

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 11:53:09 AM

Could you supply a VIX on your home page... Huh

Calculated from your site.

VIX = Volatility Index or Fear Index as some might call it.  Grin

And post the formula, that would be greatly appreciated. It would also protect customers information while providing a basis to judge activity.

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
macbook-air

Activity: 324
Merit: 260

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2011, 06:05:24 AM

Really sorry about this issue. Our BTC assets were mostly concentrated in Mt. Gox accounts recently. And our withdrawal wallet is out of funds.

We are currently trying to divert some Bitcoins from Mt. Gox to our wallets.

I have marked your transaction as "Pending Approval", so that you can cancel it any time and get your money back. I suggest you to withdraw in smaller amounts instead, such as 100 BTC, so that your funds won't get stuck when similar things happen.

Hello, I still have 150 BTC fund stuck in this way, could you please send the coins to me?

netrin

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 05:38:42 AM

Zhou, have you changed the way Trailing stops work? Because they don't seem to be trailing...

smickles

Activity: 446
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2011, 10:12:34 PM

Zhou, have you changed the way Trailing stops work? Because they don't seem to be trailing...
+1
they're not moving for me either Sad

zhoutong (OP)
VIP

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2011, 11:57:06 PM

+1
they're not moving for me either Sad

I will check the code and see if everything is right. Perhaps I broke something since the last minor update. I apologize in advance!

offshoregenius77

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 21, 2011, 08:08:44 PM

This is awesome. A 17-year old in Singapore invents and implements a bitcoin bucket shop. I'm truly impressed. Imagine the financial fraud he'll invent and implement when he has at least 10 or 20 years of experience.

Ladies and Gentlemen!

We now have a new Jesse Lauriston Livermore and he lives in Singapore.

Thats not very nice.......
offshoregenius77

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 21, 2011, 08:18:13 PM

Mt. Gox and TradeHill are like stock markets, which are okay for a relatively small market like Bitcoin. But what if we want to make it larger? This is how abstraction comes in.

My design approach is to take out the noise: If Bitcoin is really a currency, why should we care so much about BTCUSD's volume? Why should we even see the order book? I know these are two important components for every market, but it's not important to everyone. Here, Bitcoinica guarantees liquidity, gives people the opportunities to use margin and do short selling, and giving quotes with acceptable spreads.

The reason brokerages exist in the stock / forex markets is because the exchanges charge large fees to have a seat at the table. Since the Bitcoin exchanges are free for everyone to use, this reduces the role of a brokerage. Now, you are providing a valuable service to people by allowing short and long positions as well as the different types of orders. I think you will have success with your clients, but there is a shade of mistruth about what you do.

My position is one of a fundamental philosophical difference. I think that short selling should actually produce an effect on the market. I think that every order should touch the market. If someone sells short, you are not actually lending them the Bitcoin as happens in the stock markets. If someone gets a margin call from you, it's not because your clearing institution is asking you to settle your account before close of business.

Without touching the market, it's all just numbers in your database.

They are called derivatives. I think the young man has a great plan. My hope is HE is actually hedging, because what he really is doing is legal bookmaking...And bookies do go BUST if they dont watch it! Too much action on one side.....
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  

Jump to: