Bitcoin Forum
April 10, 2024, 08:53:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BitCoinTorrentz.com - Torrent Download Service  (Read 57146 times)
bitfoo
Donator

Activity: 289
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 04:00:05 AM

The reason why the site could not download your btjunkie file is because btjunkie employ certain security protocols, meaning that the "Download Link" you click for the torrent file is not the actual file itself. It does a subsequent redirect, then the torrent begins to download. I have noticed several sites have this authentication method, and I am not sure how to overcome this issue other than recommending that people download the torrent and upload the torrent file manually. Torrents from thepriatebay, however, work fine via CURL downloads.

I'm able to download the file using "curl -o filename <url>" on the command line. It appears that there is no redirect on the URL, because I'm even able to telnet to port 80 on dl.btjunkie.org, enter some HTTP commands and download the torrent file in a single shot without getting redirects. Here is an example URL, that doesn't work directly on bitcointorrentz.com:

http://dl.btjunkie.org/torrent/Ubuntu-11-04-i386-iso/5027a38d02c287893842a32825aa866e00828a318f07/download.torrent

With regards to the payment system, I am aware that all payments are going to the same bitcoin address. I am already in the process of creating unique wallet addresses for individual users, however, for the time being it is not so big of an issue as you would think. The cost of the download is filesize in GB (to 3 decimal places) * 0.1, then rounded down to 4 decimal places. It is the price of the torrent that identifies the payment, and unless two users simultaneously download a torrent of the EXACT same size, it is not an immediate problem. I plan to transition to a unique-address based solution soon.

I would consider this a big issue because it destroys anonymity. I can go to your payment address on blockexplorer and see transactions sent by other users, and go through the history of their coins if I want. It's good to know that you're working on a unique-address solution.

Another good point you brought up with regards to multi-file torrents, with many subdirectories. I had considered doing exactly as you suggested and zipping up the whole torrent, but then I felt that some people may want instant streaming access to files contained within. I am still not decided on how I will proceed with this.

Interesting, I hadn't thought of the need for direct streaming. You may want to support both use cases, maybe as selected by the user to save on disk space.

As for your speed, 400kb is indeed very slow. I don't understand how it could have been that bad. It is a 100mbit server with unmetered bandwidth. I max out my 30mbit home broadband connection downloading from this server every time, without fail. It could be due to the fact that the server is located in europe, so has to travel that little bit further to reach you. Or maybe you just got it on a particularly congested time. It's hard to say. But I know that I am downloading something off it right now at a speed of 2.4 mb/s.

My location is west-coast USA, so maybe that affects my download speed. I've updated my review to reflect this.

Thank you once again for your very in depth review of the site.
I really appreciate the time you took to write up this review and provide me with such stimulating feedback.

Happy to help!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mjcmurfy (OP)

Activity: 336

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 06:00:10 AM
Last edit: September 12, 2011, 06:10:16 AM by mjcmurfy

I'm able to download the file using "curl -o filename <url>" on the command line. It appears that there is no redirect on the URL, because I'm even able to telnet to port 80 on dl.btjunkie.org, enter some HTTP commands and download the torrent file in a single shot without getting redirects. Here is an example URL, that doesn't work directly on bitcointorrentz.com:

http://dl.btjunkie.org/torrent/Ubuntu-11-04-i386-iso/5027a38d02c287893842a32825aa866e00828a318f07/download.torrent

Thanks a lot mate. If you try it now, you will find that I have fixed the problematic part of my code. That btjunkie link is now working fine, in addition to many other trackers that did not previously! I completely rewrote the code I was using, but it is working much better now. Thank you very much for giving me the incentive to look into it further.

Interesting, I hadn't thought of the need for direct streaming. You may want to support both use cases, maybe as selected by the user to save on disk space.

What I'm thinking here is putting a button on the status page (i.e. the page once the torrent completes) that would give the user the option to archive the entire torrent for an additional fee. This is quite a good idea, as I was also thinking of adding another button to enable "1:1" seeding (again for an additional fee) if for example the users tracker requires >=100% seeding, so this would be killing two birds with 1 stone.

My location is west-coast USA, so maybe that affects my download speed. I've updated my review to reflect this.

I am hoping to invest in a US based server in the future, so I can ensure consistent fast speeds in europe and america. But it's early days yet. I still have to grow my userbase to the point where I can afford to make capital investments in more server power.

Anyway, thanks again for your feedback. It has been EXTREMELY helpful.

http://www.bitcointorrentz.com/images/bct_button_117_30.png - BitCoinTorrentz.com: High-speed HTTP torrent downloads. 0.05 btc/gb. Up to 50% discount with free membership!
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2011, 02:34:28 AM

DOWN

mjcmurfy (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2011, 09:15:51 AM
Last edit: September 13, 2011, 09:33:16 AM by mjcmurfy

Our server is suffering from some temporary hardware issues that the support team are working on as we speak. The bios had died and the server was unable to start up. The bios battery has now been replaced and the site should be up again within the hour with some BIG improvements. I'll post more about the improvements once the site is back up.

http://www.bitcointorrentz.com/images/bct_button_117_30.png - BitCoinTorrentz.com: High-speed HTTP torrent downloads. 0.05 btc/gb. Up to 50% discount with free membership!
mjcmurfy (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2011, 04:44:10 PM
Last edit: November 05, 2011, 01:41:18 PM by mjcmurfy

Announcing the BitCoinTorrentz.com Referral Program

The best method of advertising is by word of mouth, so to I have introduced a new feature, a referral program that rewards you with a percentage of the revenue generated by users you bring to the site.

The amount you earn depends on the number of people you successfully refer to this service. You will receive 20% of all earnings generated from your referees. You can request a payout at any time, there are no arbitrary limits that you must exceed in order for us to release your funds. All payments will be processed within 24-48 hours of your request.

To get started, simply sign up to get your customized referral link. It is 100% free to register. From the control panel, you can view detailed statistics on your referral activity, including the number of hits you have brought to the site, the number of downloads your referees have successfully completed, as well as your total earnings.

Here is a direct link to the referral page on the site:
http://www.bitcointorrentz.com/index.php?page=member

terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 04:45:41 PM

Are you doing some kind of ninja-bumping? This thread keeps reappearing in my Updated Topics.
mjcmurfy (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2011, 06:43:51 PM

No, but he is...

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 07:18:58 PM
Last edit: September 13, 2011, 07:34:04 PM by molecular

ABSOLUTELY KICK-ASS SERVICE!

Sorry for shouting, I don't usually do this, but I'm just so excited :-)

I use this for protecting against beging dragged to court or made to pay money in order not to be dragged to court, which recently happened to a friend (it's gonna cost us around €900 for uploading 10% of a movie). I hope you really honor your statement of keeping absolutely no records of information that could identify me.

What I like most about this service:

• the protection it offers
  • ease of use
  • I can start watching the file pretty much once I start download to my machine, since that download is "in order", not randomly chunked, so it's actually a faster time-to-view than had I used traditional client
  • reasonably priced
  • supports bitcoin

Some notes on the process and how you could improve it (it's pretty good already and absolutely acceptable):

• Torrent upload is good, couldn't be easier (used the torrent link input field), but why not redirect to that downloads status page after that?
  • On the downloads status page: there's a gif animation or something that suggests the page would auto-update, which it doesn't, right? Well, it either should auto-update or that swirly-thingy should be gone
  • also on download status page: I know your server is fast and all, but a progress information would still be nice. Repeatedly hitting reload is so oldschool and just plain sucks. Also: maybe it's even possible to automatically redirect to a page that will automatically start the download in browser once the download is complete on your side?

Keep it up, it's so cool!

EDIT: as you can see, I devoted my signature space to your service, that's how much I love bitcointorrentz ^^
EDIT2: removed the BS about the link to the directory should be link to file

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
terrytibbs

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 07:42:25 PM

Tell me more about these investment opportunities!
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 07:57:39 PM

On another note, I noticed that the server provides the same bitcoin payment address for every transaction, since the address already has a few transactions on blockexplorer. I also confirmed this by downloading a second torrent. This should probably be changed ASAP for user privacy protection and security. See this wiki page: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Merchant_Howto#Common_Errors

I'm assuming it's a "session based address". This begs the question how you determine which download a payment is for. Could you elaborate on that a little?

May I ask how you do session identification?

This is interesting both for privacy reasons and for evaluating possible gains from referral program Wink

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
terrytibbs

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 08:02:10 PM

On another note, I noticed that the server provides the same bitcoin payment address for every transaction, since the address already has a few transactions on blockexplorer. I also confirmed this by downloading a second torrent. This should probably be changed ASAP for user privacy protection and security. See this wiki page: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Merchant_Howto#Common_Errors

I'm assuming it's a "session based address". This begs the question how you determine which download a payment is for. Could you elaborate on that a little?

May I ask how you do session identification?

This is interesting both for privacy reasons and for evaluating possible gains from referral program Wink

This is from a private conversation I had with mjcmurfy.
At the moment, the service is monitoring a single bitcoin address. This wouldn't work for many retailers who sell items that have a set price. The reason it works for me is that the price that I charge per download is pretty much unique to each user. The cost is calculated at 0.1 btc / GB, and rounded to 4 non zero digits, meaning that unless two users simultaneously request a file of the EXACT same size, it doesn't matter. The price itself is what I am currently using to identify users to successful payments.
mjcmurfy (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2011, 08:12:37 PM

ABSOLUTELY KICK-ASS SERVICE!

Sorry for shouting, I don't usually do this, but I'm just so excited :-)

Thanks for the glowing review, and I'm absolutely delighted that you find this service useful.
I will excuse the shouting this one time! Cheesy

Some notes on the process and how you could improve it (it's pretty good already and absolutely acceptable):

• Torrent upload is good, couldn't be easier (used the torrent link input field), but why not redirect to that downloads status page after that?
  • On the downloads status page: there's a gif animation or something that suggests the page would auto-update, which it doesn't, right? Well, it either should auto-update or that swirly-thingy should be gone
  • also on download status page: I know your server is fast and all, but a progress information would still be nice. Repeatedly hitting reload is so oldschool and just plain sucks. Also: maybe it's even possible to automatically redirect to a page that will automatically start the download in browser once the download is complete on your side?

The reason that I don't immediately redirect to the status page is because I like the idea of a payment received page that thanks the user for their payment and use of the service, and gives advice not to lose the address of the status link, as it would be otherwise irretrievable.

I do realize the status page is pretty much useless as it is right now, requiring multiple refreshes etc. And the swirly-thing probably is a bit deceptive, I'll admit, LOL. However, I am AS WE SPEAK, working on a much more detailed status page that will show download speed, ETA, and % completed. It will also update every few seconds. I don't know when exactly it will be ready, but no more than a couple of days... if not sooner.

Thank you for your very useful feedback. I will take it all on board.

Keep in mind that this service only went online a few days ago... I have MANY ideas for future implementation. There just isn't enough time in the day to write the damned code! I have other major work commitments IRL, so until this service starts paying my salary, my development time is restricted to my spare time! Cheesy

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 08:13:20 PM

The reason why the site could not download your btjunkie file is because btjunkie employ certain security protocols, meaning that the "Download Link" you click for the torrent file is not the actual file itself. It does a subsequent redirect, then the torrent begins to download. I have noticed several sites have this authentication method, and I am not sure how to overcome this issue other than recommending that people download the torrent and upload the torrent file manually. Torrents from thepriatebay, however, work fine via CURL downloads.

Hmm, it worked just fine for me with btjunkie. I'm using a "right click", "copy link address" on the little grey box with the arrow pointing down. That gives me a direkt link to the torrent file, example: http://dl.btjunkie.org/torrent/The-Holding-2011-DVDSCR-XViD-NoGrp/43585890c419183fe611210d1e90ee9dcf4a01e24430/download.torrent . Pasting that into the form worked.

With regards to the payment system, I am aware that all payments are going to the same bitcoin address. I am already in the process of creating unique wallet addresses for individual users, however, for the time being it is not so big of an issue as you would think. The cost of the download is filesize in GB (to 3 decimal places) * 0.1, then rounded down to 4 decimal places. It is the price of the torrent that identifies the payment, and unless two users simultaneously download a torrent of the EXACT same size, it is not an immediate problem. I plan to transition to a unique-address based solution soon.

This might not be an immediate problem for you, but if there is "the one bitcointorrentz payment address", that might become a privacy issue for users. I would pop this item to the top of your todolist. It's not hard to get a new address for each download and I can't image you having a problem to associate that with the torrent. If you need any help with that, I can help.

Another good point you brought up with regards to multi-file torrents, with many subdirectories. I had considered doing exactly as you suggested and zipping up the whole torrent, but then I felt that some people may want instant streaming access to files contained within. I am still not decided on how I will proceed with this.

Yes please, don't change this. Make zip-file optional if you must. I like it that way for streaming access.

As for your speed, 400kb is indeed VERY slow.

I got around 700 KByte/s which is my downstream cap. (germany)
Had a friend try, he has 50mbit downstream, he got 1590 KByte/s (germany)

Thanks again for this awesome service, please fix the one-payment-address-issue, though.

mjcmurfy (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2011, 08:39:11 PM

As terrytibs stated, a single wallet address is monitored and downloads are identified by the payment size. I realize this is not the most efficient way of doing it, but it works due to the extreme unlikeliness of two people simultaneously downloading a file of the exact same size (to the byte). However, my to-do list certainly does include the implementation of unique payment addresses for the sake of user privacy.

With regards to your question on session identification molecular, I assume you want to know if recurring users will also generate you referral income? As it is, the referral idkey is obtained though a GET method, and then stored as a session variable. The session is destroyed when the user leaves the site. So if the user comes back of their own accord, you won't get credit.

However, I just implemented the referral system today, and plan to store the referral idkey in a cookie on the users computer so recurring users will generate referral credit. I don't know if this would have privacy implications for end-users though, but I don't think it should.

Do you think this would be a good idea?

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 09:30:42 PM

As terrytibs stated, a single wallet address is monitored and downloads are identified by the payment size. I realize this is not the most efficient way of doing it, but it works due to the extreme unlikeliness of two people simultaneously downloading a file of the exact same size (to the byte). However, my to-do list certainly does include the implementation of unique payment addresses for the sake of user privacy.

With regards to your question on session identification molecular, I assume you want to know if recurring users will also generate you referral income? As it is, the referral idkey is obtained though a GET method, and then stored as a session variable. The session is destroyed when the user leaves the site. So if the user comes back of their own accord, you won't get credit.

However, I just implemented the referral system today, and plan to store the referral idkey in a cookie on the users computer so recurring users will generate referral credit. I don't know if this would have privacy implications for end-users though, but I don't think it should.

Do you think this would be a good idea?

If you want the referral program to work well, I think it's a good idea. Otherwise people are pretty unlikely to get many downloads credited. It's unlikely people will use the referral link except for first contact with the site. It's also not very likely they will download right away. They'll look at the site, see what it does and come back later when they actually have need for downloading a torrent and remember the site.

mjcmurfy (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2011, 09:36:31 PM

If you want the referral program to work well, I think it's a good idea. Otherwise people are pretty unlikely to get many downloads credited. It's unlikely people will use the referral link except for first contact with the site. It's also not very likely they will download right away. They'll look at the site, see what it does and come back later when they actually have need for downloading a torrent and remember the site.

I fully agree. I am implementing this now.
I might also throw together some referral banners that people can use, rather than a boring link.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 10:02:56 PM

I fully agree. I am implementing this now.
I might also throw together some referral banners that people can use, rather than a boring link.

Well, on the other hand, a boring link may be good. Some people, myself included, tend to ignore banners or hate them so badly that they don't click them on priciple. Also, I think, there is an option to suppress images in signatures in this forum.

In the end it's up to each person how he wants to place the ad, so go ahead and make banners if you like. If I would use a banner, it would have to be veriy low height, like one line of text.

As you said, the best advertising is word of mouth, and a good product, I might add, which you have. I suspect you might soon run one of the more successfull bitcoin services in existance.

mjcmurfy (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2011, 10:29:28 PM

As you said, the best advertising is word of mouth, and a good product, I might add, which you have. I suspect you might soon run one of the more successfull bitcoin services in existance.

Flattery isn't going to earn you a higher commission! :p

But in all seriousness, thank you for your kind words. I do believe that I provide a useful service to the bitcoin community. p2p filesharing and bitcoin are very much alike, in that their shared purpose is to break down existing perceptions of the status quo, and take power away from those who would wish to control us. They go hand in hand, and I am glad to have brought them together in this way.

The banners would just be an optional extra. What I meant was I would provide various different formats that people could use to post the link. Such as a pre-prepared bbcode link for forum signatures, a bbcode banner link and maybe some html formatted options too. My goal is to make it as quick and painless for people to post their referral link, wherever they like.

Ricochet

Activity: 373

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 10:38:12 PM

I tested this with a rather large file, using a download manager that allowed me to dynamically change the number of concurrent connections (up to 10, though I think this time it stopped at 9 for some reason).  Each additional concurrent connection got me another 100-120 KB/s, so in the end I maxed out at 1.3 MB/s.  Not bad for being in the US, and my hard drive was probably getting to be the bottleneck by that point anyway.

I am a bit concerned about the "common Bitcoin address" problem, not because I think someone will steal my download, but for privacy reasons.  If someone knew the filesize of what I was downloading, and monitored the address and saw a payment that corresponded to it, the two could be linked together.

That said, I think this is a fantastic idea.  Thanks for the effort in putting it together so far, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

Regarding the multiple-files thing, if you're using Firefox there are a number of extensions that will allow you to download all the links on a page at once (or queue them up one at a time, if you prefer).  Personally I'm using the FlashGot extension, and even if you don't install the FlashGet download manager it's made to complement, you can still use it with Firefox's built-in download manager as far as I know.
mjcmurfy (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2011, 10:43:36 PM

I have fully implemented cookie tracking for referral idkeys. I have tested it on an isolated local server, and it is working. I have not tested it live however, but if you want to try yourself, make a note of your total hits in the referral control panel, then go to the website using your referral link and check again. Then close your browser, navigate back to the site without your idkey in the link, and check if it increases your hits. If everything has gone to plan, it should work perfectly.

Your key will bring you commission for up to 10 years after the user clicked your referral link. it is not possible to set a cookie that persists indefinitely, but 10 years is probably longer than the average computer lasts these days. And in 10 years, I suspect cookies will no longer be relevant anyway! Haha.

One thing however, if a user you have referred to the site clicks a subsequent link with a new idkey, your existing key will be replaced for the new one. I'm not quite sure if this is a good policy or not, but I suppose it is probably the fairest way of doing it. What do you think?

Also, if users have certain browser options that block cookies, or delete them each time their browser closes, there is nothing much I can do to work around this fact. The majority of us though accept all cookies except those from 3rd parties, so I think we're good.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 »
  Print  

Jump to: