Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:38:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BitCoinTorrentz.com - Torrent Download Service  (Read 57142 times)
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 01:54:12 PM

I introduced my nephews mother to bitcointorrentz (her sister got a mean letter from a lawyer, so she's now afraid to use torrents)

We promptly ran into a bug (I think it might at least be related to the one I found before).

Here's what happened (recalling from last nights memory):

• opened site, without login
  • inserted torrent link, hit "continue"
  • pop up, click "pay with bitcoins"
  • make transaction, click "payed"
  • "payment accepted" popup pops up TWICE, we click "ok" twice
  • we click "status" link
  • status page sais finished (after maximum 1 minute, it was a 1.4gig file, I think)
  • we download via web: FILE CORRUPTED
  • she downloads again later: FILE GOOD

So I'm guessing the "file finished" info is wrong somehow?

I asked her for the link and will post here... maybe that helps analyzing?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 09:50:25 PM

Stupid question: Why is it safer to download an .avi from bitcointorrentz.com rather than downloading the torrent? Can't my ISP identify bitcointorrentz.com as a pirated site?

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 10:39:24 PM

Stupid question: Why is it safer to download an .avi from bitcointorrentz.com rather than downloading the torrent? Can't my ISP identify bitcointorrentz.com as a pirated site?

It's (at least currently) not the ISP that delivers the identifying info (it delivers the info who had the IP at a specified time). The info on what IP offered a torrent for download is gathered by private companies that are hired by the rightsholders. They are not able to see your http download from bitcointorrents, they can, however, connect to your torrent node and download a little bit of the file to make sure you're not offering a fake.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 11:01:20 PM

It's (at least currently) not the ISP that delivers the identifying info (it delivers the info who had the IP at a specified time). The info on what IP offered a torrent for download is gathered by private companies that are hired by the rightsholders. They are not able to see your http download from bitcointorrents, they can, however, connect to your torrent node and download a little bit of the file to make sure you're not offering a fake.

Makes sense. Thank you.

This is the most used service for my bitcoins by far. Thanks mjcmurfy.

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
mjcmurfy (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2011, 01:03:01 AM
Last edit: December 12, 2011, 01:20:39 AM by mjcmurfy

I introduced my nephews mother to bitcointorrentz (her sister got a mean letter from a lawyer, so she's now afraid to use torrents)

We promptly ran into a bug (I think it might at least be related to the one I found before).

• we click "status" link
  • status page sais finished (after maximum 1 minute, it was a 1.4gig file, I think)

Hmm. This has happened a few times now I think. I've been looking through the code to find any potential causes and I'm stumped. The only thing I can think of is if the torrent has a strange character in the name. That might do it. Can you PM me the link to the torrent you guys were downloading so I can investigate further? I hope your sister (or sister in law?) was not turned off too much by the experience.

I think molecular handled your question well. I think I might have to hire him as my PR guy! Cheesy

I'll explain it again anyway. Rights groups snoop on the torrent swarm (network of nodes sharing the file) for files that they are protecting the intellectual property rights of. They record the IP addresses of those seeding the file as well as lots of other information in evidence. They probably use customized torrent clients specifically designed for this purpose.

They do not have access to your ISP records however, so therefore are not privy to the things that you download via http. The vast majority of ISP's do not monitor your downloads, because the cost of sifting through every file downloaded by their clients to determine what is legal and what is not legal would be too great. Also there may be significant privacy issues in doing that, so it is a legally murky practice, and any evidence produced may be questionable in a court of law.

Http downloads are much much safer from a privacy perspective than torrents because only you, the server you are downloading from and your ISP know what packets are coming down the line to you. If you use torrents, due to the public nature of the technology, every node in the swarm can see exactly what you are doing, your IP address, how much of the file you have, and how fast you are uploading and downloading. All the IP rights groups have to do is sit permanently in the swarm and observe everyone who connects, obtain your identity from your ISP using your IP address and very soon after, you receive a letter from the MPAA or RIAA threatening you with legal action or hefty fines and your ISP may follow suit and disconnect your service.

http://www.bitcointorrentz.com/images/bct_button_117_30.png - BitCoinTorrentz.com: High-speed HTTP torrent downloads. 0.05 btc/gb. Up to 50% discount with free membership!
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
December 12, 2011, 08:02:45 AM

• we click "status" link

Hmm. This has happened a few times now I think. I've been looking through the code to find any potential causes and I'm stumped. The only thing I can think of is if the torrent has a strange character in the name. That might do it. Can you PM me the link to the torrent you guys were downloading so I can investigate further? I hope your sister (or sister in law?) was not turned off too much by the experience.

I think molecular handled your question well. I think I might have to hire him as my PR guy! Cheesy

I'll explain it again anyway. Rights groups snoop on the torrent swarm (network of nodes sharing the file) for files that they are protecting the intellectual property rights of. They record the IP addresses of those seeding the file as well as lots of other information in evidence. They probably use customized torrent clients specifically designed for this purpose.

They do not have access to your ISP records however, so therefore are not privy to the things that you download via http. The vast majority of ISP's do not monitor your downloads, because the cost of sifting through every file downloaded by their clients to determine what is legal and what is not legal would be too great. Also there may be significant privacy issues in doing that, so it is a legally murky practice, and any evidence produced may be questionable in a court of law.

Http downloads are much much safer from a privacy perspective than torrents because only you, the server you are downloading from and your ISP know what packets are coming down the line to you. If you use torrents, due to the public nature of the technology, every node in the swarm can see exactly what you are doing, your IP address, how much of the file you have, and how fast you are uploading and downloading. All the IP rights groups have to do is sit permanently in the swarm and observe everyone who connects, obtain your identity from your ISP using your IP address and very soon after, you receive a letter from the MPAA or RIAA threatening you with legal action or hefty fines and your ISP may follow suit and disconnect your service.

nicely summarized.
how about offering https/encryption?
dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 12, 2011, 02:09:36 PM

I've noticed on a couple of occasions that when I bookmark that status link page I get a link like this:

http://www.bitcointorrentz.com/index.php?&page=status&idkey=

ie the idkey is missing.

This happened today, though I'd already placed the correct download link into Bitcomet to download later once the download had finished, so I could trace it back (I had to trace it back becasue I didn't realise that it was a multiple file download so initially I just downloaded index.html)
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2011, 11:49:49 PM

She wasn't turned off at all. I introduced her to Bitcoin at the same time (she knew some basics: what bitcoin is roughly) and she totally likes both techs. The intro took like 20 minutes (used electrum). She unterstood how to use it, how addresses work, why she should use a new one every time, even how to reconstruct her wallet. Did everything herself. I sent her some money and then she used bitcointorrentz to download some legal file. She didn't give me the link yet, not online that much.

Germans are big loaders and the lawyers really started ramping up their fear-business in 2011. I never had  a case in my surrounding until summer 2011. Now I know of 2 cases and a lawyer specialized in this purview told me they where extending this business. I ran some numbers, they're definitely making really good and easy money on this scheme and some rights holders probably earn more this way than for showing the movie in theatres (at least for bad movies, that might be the case)

I think molecular handled your question well.

thanks.

I'll explain it again anyway. Rights groups snoop on the torrent swarm...

lol. you definitely said it way cooler than I did.

They record the IP addresses of those seeding the file as well as lots of other information in evidence. They probably use customized torrent clients specifically designed for this purpose.

They do not have access to your ISP records however, so therefore are not privy to the things that you download via http. The vast majority of ISP's do not monitor your downloads, because the cost of sifting through every file downloaded by their clients to determine what is legal and what is not legal would be too great.

I think the reason for them recording IP, but not downloads and/or other stuff is (at least in the jurisdiction I live in (germany)), is the fact that they are obligated to record the IP adress, but not the other stuff, which is probably even prohibited. I remember a big discussion couple years ago (maybe even almost 10 years) when new laws where passed making IP address recording obligatory for ISPs. They might since have turned even more evil by themselves: big providers here in germany (axis of evil) are starting to transparently redirect nameserver traffic (port 53) to their own nameservers (I've seen it, it's true, german telekom does it at least in some networks), thereby silently taking from you the liberty to run your own NS for resolving (at least the liberty to do it easily, you can still tunnel your way to freedom if you have a server somewhere that has no such problems). I wonder where this shit comes from and I dont like it at all.

I'll post the link from the bug aa soon as i get it from my brothers sisters neece in law.

mjcmurfy (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2011, 01:27:25 AM

nicely summarized.
how about offering https/encryption?

SSL certificates are expensive. I could create a self-signed certificate that would allow encrypted connections, but it would throw up trust warnings to end-users and may scare them off. Also, the download speed would be reduced somewhat if you were downloading via https, and it would put a greater load on the server - especially if several people were downloading via SSL simultaneously. So the short answer is no, but the long answer is maybe in the future, when the service has more capital behind it and is able to afford a more powerful server and a legit ssl certificate.

SSL would be a fantastic addition to the service though, I do agree. It would take care of the last and final weak link in the chain - the ISPs. But what is currently on offer is still a lot better than downloading torrents from public trackers yourself via the bittorrent protocol. Because as already discussed, ISP's do not actually do any of the legwork themselves. It is the rights groups who collect this information, not the ISP. As long as they are out of the picture, that is about 99.5% of the job done.

They might since have turned even more evil by themselves: big providers here in germany (axis of evil) are starting to transparently redirect nameserver traffic (port 53) to their own nameservers (I've seen it, it's true, german telekom does it at least in some networks), thereby silently taking from you the liberty to run your own NS for resolving (at least the liberty to do it easily, you can still tunnel your way to freedom if you have a server somewhere that has no such problems). I wonder where this shit comes from and I dont like it at all.

ISP's in germany restricting nameserver choice is scary. I suppose there might be a rational argument for doing it. It could be to prevent malicious 3rd party alterations to your local nameserver settings by certain viruses etc that would redirect you to their own clone site after entering the url of a sensitive website (such as online banking) or something along those lines. I suppose that would be the rationale they are using to defend it, but at the same time, I do not like it one bit.

And the worst part is that it is being done in such an underhanded and sneaky way, meaning that people can not object fairly to the change. If it was truly for the benefit of the end-user, then they would trumpet it as a new security feature not hide it under the carpet. Most regular users would have no idea of the potential privacy implications anyway. Have they released any kind of press statement? Probably not, I would imagine that it is all there in the TOC that we all so frequently skim over.

http://www.bitcointorrentz.com/images/bct_button_117_30.png - BitCoinTorrentz.com: High-speed HTTP torrent downloads. 0.05 btc/gb. Up to 50% discount with free membership!
2weiX
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 08:24:33 AM

https://airvpn.org/

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 02:46:12 PM

nice, they take bitcoins. Assuming they don't need your contact info and don't store your IP?

2weiX
Legendary

View Profile
December 14, 2011, 09:06:22 AM

nice, they take bitcoins. Assuming they don't need your contact info and don't store your IP?

one throwaway email adress to create an account.
they supposedly do NOT keep ANY logs, which of course you can never be sure of.
they were pitched by falkvinge, I trust him to only advocate cool companies.

another idea, tho: how about a TOR network site?
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 14, 2011, 02:02:54 PM

• we click "status" link

http://www.bitcointorrentz.com/index.php?page=status&idkey=bdm8saw6nc

that's a status-link she gave me. I'm not 100% sure it's from that download, but 80% sure. maybe it helps

hgmichna

Activity: 695
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 17, 2011, 04:54:29 PM

@dancupid: yeah, that is the glitch I was referring to in post #169. It was a small code error that would immediately bring the user to the torrent complete status page under certain circumstances before the file had completely finished downloading. I had this problem originally when I first implemented the javascript refresh script too. I have patched it up now, so it should all be fine.
Just happened to me, so not yet fixed. Luckily I know the meaning of !ut, otherwise I might have downloaded a couple of Gigabytes of garbage.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2011, 05:02:31 PM

@dancupid: yeah, that is the glitch I was referring to in post #169. It was a small code error that would immediately bring the user to the torrent complete status page under certain circumstances before the file had completely finished downloading. I had this problem originally when I first implemented the javascript refresh script too. I have patched it up now, so it should all be fine.
Just happened to me, so not yet fixed. Luckily I know the meaning of !ut, otherwise I might have downloaded a couple of Gigabytes of garbage.

"!ut" ??

hgmichna

Activity: 695

View Profile
December 17, 2011, 05:08:33 PM

"!ut" ??
While the files are being downloaded, the BitTorrent client may append .!ut to them to indicate that they are not yet completely downloaded. µTorrent, for example, does that.

So, if you want to download the files and see that they still have the .!ut ending, do not download them yet. Wait until the .!ut extension is removed and disappears, then download the complete file.

Do not believe the indicated lengths of the files either. Many BitTorrent clients pre-allocate the files with their full length, but fill the content with garbage or zero bytes at first, before beginning to write the final content into the files piecemeal. The BitTorrent client used by BitCoinTorrentz uses this method also, so the files, while still being downloaded, always show their full, final size.
mcorlett
Donator

Activity: 308

View Profile
December 17, 2011, 05:10:30 PM

"!ut" ??
While the files are being downloaded, the BitTorrent client may append .!ut to them to indicate that they are not yet completely downloaded. µTorrent, for example, does that.

So, if you want to download the files and see that they still have the .!ut ending, do not download them yet. Wait until the .!ut extension is removed and disappears, then download the complete file.

Do not believe the indicated lengths of the files either. Many BitTorrent clients pre-allocate the files with their full length, but fill the content with garbage or zero bytes at first, before beginning to write the final content into the files piecemeal. The BitTorrent client used by BitCoinTorrentz uses this method also, so the files, while still being downloaded, always show their full, final size.
It is worth noting that uTorrent by default does not add this extension, you have to enable it in the Preferences.

mjcmurfy (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2011, 06:06:13 PM

Earnings report for November 16th - December 16th:

Monthly Earnings: 31.33339 btc
Total Dividend: 9.400017 btc
Dividend/Share: 0.03133339 btc

Monthly Investor ROI: 15.7%
Total ROI after 3 months: 34.9%

Total Users: 126 (this month: +59)
Total Downloads: 726 (this month: 319)

I am currently waiting for the transfer to GLBSE to be confirmed, after which I will make this months payment. Thanks to all the investors and to all the users of this service for their continued support.

terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 18, 2011, 06:12:19 PM

Earnings report for November 16th - December 16th:

Monthly Earnings: 31.33339 btc
Total Dividend: 9.400017 btc
Dividend/Share: 0.03133339 btc

Monthly Investor ROI: 15.7%
Total ROI after 3 months: 34.9%

Total Users: 126 (this month: +59)
Total Downloads: 726 (this month: 319)

I am currently waiting for the transfer to GLBSE to be confirmed, after which I will make this months payment. Thanks to all the investors and to all the users of this service for their continued support.
Sounds like a good month. Congratulations to all you lucky investors!
waspoza

Activity: 602

Firstbits: 1waspoza

View Profile
December 25, 2011, 02:32:27 PM

This bug is sttill alive. I got .!ut files just minute ago.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 »
  Print  

Jump to: