Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 08:17:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 484 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [NEM] NEM -New Economy Movement - No Envy Movement - Updates+Discussion thread  (Read 661421 times)
Jaguar0625

Activity: 299
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 03:56:14 AM

[[Development Update]]
Hi all,

For now, I'll be using this thread to share development status. If there is a lot of interest in the development discussion, I might create a new thread.

There are currently two developers working on this project - Thies1965 and myself. If anyone is interested in contributing, please PM me. We're always happy to get more help Smiley, and we do have a few development shares to give out for people who help out.

NXT is the inspiration of this project, but the current plan is not to use the NXT code without making significant changes. For one, I would like to rewrite / refactor much of the NXT code to make the code compliant with development best practices (including unit tests). My background is in enterprise software, so I'm confident that we can improve off of NXT and make it better.

Right now, we have a simple git repo: https://github.com/NxtEM/nem. It's empty at the moment aside from two versions of NXT: the "official" 0.4.7e released by Jean-Luc and the decompiled 0.5.10 version. Both are browsable and we don't have any plans on taking them down until NEM is near completion.

Depending on who wants to join the development team, I'll be keeping the language choice open until the weekend. The current preference is Java (like NXT), but I would be open to changing it depending on the interest.

The first chunk of work will be around building all the classes that comprise the blockchain.
- I'm planning to change the signing algorithm from NXT's non-standard curve25519 based implementation to ed25519 (https://github.com/geir54/ed25519-java/blob/master/ed25519.java).
- I will also change the account numbers to be more bitcoin-like

Let me know what you think.

NEM - nem.io

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
drm
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 04:24:52 AM

My take on the fake accounts "issue":

To gain a 1% share of NXT during ipo:
-Send .22btc from one account

To gain a 1% share of NEM during ipo:
- create 40 accounts
 - You have to actively use each new account for 4+ hours before you can post in the NEM thread.  This means 4x40 = 160 hours of time at computer
- send .4 btc-1 btc OR promote NEM in 40 different places

It's obviously significantly harder and more expensive for someone to gain a 1% share of NEM, compared to NXT

NEM launch is fairer than NXT launch.
- Some people gained a 4.5% share of NXT by sending 1btc at launch

- I highly doubt anyone will create the 180 accounts necessary to gain a 4.5% share of NEM

even though its a hassle to gain a bigger share, its still not what nem stands for..
keep it as fair as possible, and deny the multi-accounts their multi buyin.
And the accounts who claim they also need a stake for their son, grandma, friend, dog and cat...really?

quote from the ANN thread, "Completely Fair Distribution - Equal Shares for ALL"

rigel
Legendary

Activity: 1240
Merit: 1001

Thank God I'm an atheist

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 06:30:38 AM

The first chunk of work will be around building all the classes that comprise the blockchain.
- I'm planning to change the signing algorithm from NXT's non-standard curve25519 based implementation to ed25519 (https://github.com/geir54/ed25519-java/blob/master/ed25519.java).

This is a good start. Few more ideas:

Provide a meaningful white paper with algorithms description.

Avoid collisions in addresses (a la NXT)

Allow optional message encryption so that only receiver can read it.

Hidden alias addresses for mixing/privacy/identifing customer...

Reserved aliases: only owner of address xxx can register an alias straarting with "xxx_". This allow sharing of any piece of information I desire.
markn

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 06:50:57 AM

interested.
"interested" is over, you have to pay some fees and the more you wait, the fees get higher.

In my opinion, when it started almost like a joke, we could try to distribute coins for free but with every 10 page people would have to prove more activities which were done to help this coin.
at first it would be enough if a user could spam discussions about new coin (user would have to prove he made 10 comments etc) and later , in order to get some coins, user would have to make harder tasks - write an article in Forbes or some magazine on  web, show pictires that he made and glued BIG posters in the street, make a video on Youtube etc.
later user must have show picture of him and paper coin on top of mountain/roof of house, etc.
later only developers who program an application for Iphone would get some coin etc

everything could be done only based on your effort, your imagination -
I looked at the original thread and now we are on page 70 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=422129.msg4791891#msg4791891 and fees will be higher again but unfortunately it seems more like a long long long list of some "pure" soul(s??) who donate(s?) small amounts of btc from his/her exchange account(s) to another crypto soul (utopianfuture) .

I suggest we should take it more like an experiment, try to make fun of it, maybe it become a viral like DOGE.

If we focus only on financial point of view, we risk that developer utopianfuture become bored , grab the money ( Iam not saying that intends to do it!!, I am just thinking what could happen) and starts to develop other projects because we might end with a few active community members.

We should enjoy this experiment and market it everywhere to make it viral!!! Right now!  Grin  Grin
ThePatient

Activity: 574

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 07:14:38 AM

Can the 'no envy movement' part get dropped? too hippyish, imo

nextgencoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 07:34:26 AM

agree, it's ok when we fundraise but why hinder it's development after. it comes across as charity rather than a legitimate coin.

It's just a thought but what about changing NEM as well. The only reason is we might be able to come up with a more exciting name rather than looking like a NXT clone....which of course it is but still..
Bitye West

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 07:39:42 AM

agree, it's ok when we fundraise but why hinder it's development after. it comes across as charity rather than a legitimate coin.

It's just a thought but what about changing NEM as well. The only reason is we might be able to come up with a more exciting name rather than looking like a NXT clone....which of course it is but still..

What happened to "New Economy Movement"?

I thought that sounded awesome.
nextgencoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 07:44:34 AM

yeah that bit is nice.....like the idea of being part of going against the status quo and corrupt financial world.
Bitye West

Activity: 56

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 07:56:58 AM

yeah that bit is nice.....like the idea of being part of going against the status quo and corrupt financial world.

It should just be "NEM - New Economy Movement"

The "No Envy Movement" part just makes me think of NXT.
SZZT

Activity: 273

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 12:19:10 PM

On the other hand, OP has clearly shown that it started as an action towards the voices crying that NXT distribution was not fair.
To show that there should be no envy, since not much is needed to participate.

I joined because of the "No Envy - Egalitarian". I have no problem with how Nxt was distributed, and i would really see this work take off. Not for the financial gain mind you, but for the kicks. I would love to see how a coin set up this way could go.

Nem seems to be taking off in a haste. I don't mind taht, some of the names here are quite respected, i went back to their posts and was happy.
People will always complain. OP could've said 12 bil coins, straight from a mailing list, people would still be unhappy.

I'm perfectly happy with No Envy. I think it is more original for a coin, than just claim "new economy".
I believe that crypto in general IS the new economy, more and more fiat institutions are coming in the cryptoworld.

PS I'm a member of your reddit page, that's how i found you. Why aren't more of you there?

1HceYnNAUv5zBjJUhEncmmvxU1C7yjWoX8
Zahlen

Activity: 98

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 02:06:06 PM

Will you be using the proposed Reed-Solomon encoding ricot and NxtChg are working on for Nxt?

I'm thinking a different format would be better, so that NEM addresses can't (in general) be interpreted as NXT addresses by clients and vice-versa. There are simpler encoding schemes (linear codes) which can also do character typo detection and correction (but, unlike Reed-Solomon, not for character omission), and which don't require field algebra. They can be easily implemented from scratch without using 3rd party libraries.

I can expand on this if there's interest.

gvans

Activity: 281

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 03:02:47 PM

Just an idea to get less 'sockpuppets'. From now on you could require both the fee AND promotion (proof). Say from page 75 onwards, would increase the visibility better too.

BTC 1Mye3mqB9WQdCj3uFwx6zcRArnzbUiq6Ro  ★ [NXT] NXT-RA49-RXFR-V6WE-97HT9
★ [ORA] LOGO  ★ [NEM] LOGO  ★ [NXT] MONOLITH  ★ [EXO] LOGO  ★ [FIMK] LOGO  ★ [NODE] LOGO
utopianfuture (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 268

Internet of Value

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 03:12:41 PM

Updates: Stakeholder list is updated to page 71. Check to see if you are in the list and let me know. Next update will be at page 81 and at page 81 update, the list up to page 71 will be considered final.

What I did in making List 1 is to go through every posts and check if the post satisfies the condition in that page. If yes I label "Y" next to that account; if no the condition column is left blank. List 2 is the List 1 sorted in an alphabetical order of the account names. I will erase any duplicate name in List 2. So if your account is in List 2 and has a "Y" in condition column then you are a stakeholder. If you think you are qualified but you account is missed from the list or your account does not have a "Y" label, then let me know right away.  

List 3 is development stake list. Development stake reserve is 200 and will be distributed to contributors of this project. Jaguar and Thies will be responsible for technical development category. I will be responsible for promotional development category. Some names are already in there. The takers of remaining spots in community effort and branding resources would be decided by the community. This is a community project so let's make the decision together.

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐████████████████████████▌
█████████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
  TomoChain  •    •  TomoChain 
░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐████████████████████████▌
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
Lokda

Activity: 68

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 03:13:24 PM

Will you be using the proposed Reed-Solomon encoding ricot and NxtChg are working on for Nxt?

I'm thinking a different format would be better, so that NEM addresses can't (in general) be interpreted as NXT addresses by clients and vice-versa. There are simpler encoding schemes (linear codes) which can also do character typo detection and correction (but, unlike Reed-Solomon, not for character omission), and which don't require field algebra. They can be easily implemented from scratch without using 3rd party libraries.

I can expand on this if there's interest.

I think this idea is THE good idea for adresses.
opticalcarrier

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 03:17:19 PM

[[Development Update]]...Let me know what you think.

How about this... Continue using LONG data type for amount.  As unsigned, this allows from 0 - 18446744073709551616 and we could always IMPLY 9 decimal points, such that now we have amounts from 0.0 NEM - 18,446,744,073.709551616 NEM.  This is well within the 4 billion limit.  The only thing here is we may want to do additions of volume, assets exchanges, etc such that that may not be a large enough number for appropriate representation.

In this case, perhaps we could just standardize on 5 decimals?  With 4 Billion, surely 5 would be enough decimals, giving us 0.0 NEM to 184,467,440,737,095.51616 NEM
Sebastien256

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 03:23:32 PM
Last edit: January 28, 2014, 03:51:32 PM by Sebastien256

Just an idea to get less 'sockpuppets'. From now on you could require both the fee AND promotion (proof). Say from page 75 onwards, would increase the visibility better too.

I like that.

EDIT: another thought. Maybe keep fee constant from now on and put promotion mandatory.  Overall, with promotion mandatory and more external promotion there will likely be less sockpuppet in proportion.

Nxt official forum at: https://nxtforum.org/
SayLouder

Activity: 4

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 03:37:18 PM

I like that.

EDIT: another thought. Maybe keep fee constant from now on and put promotion mandatory.  Overall, with more promotion there will likely be less sockpuppet in proportion.

Just came by from a Polish bitcoin forum. I play at our local forum, not here very much. I don't understand why you don't want me to join in.
Sebastien256

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 03:41:23 PM

Utopianfuture,

You said the price would increase to 3000-4000 NXT. Now you have it listed that there will only be a 5 NXT increase after every ten pages after 250 NXT. You should not be changing funding rules after accepting peoples money. This change in funding rules has now devalued all of the previous investors contributions, and makes it seems like a ploy to get early investors interested. If you keep up with these tactics people will lose trust in this project.

I don't agree, as long as difficulty to join is increasing and not decreasing, im OK with that.

Sebastien256

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 03:53:14 PM

I like that.

EDIT: another thought. Maybe keep fee constant from now on and put promotion mandatory.  Overall, with more promotion there will likely be less sockpuppet in proportion.

Just came by from a Polish bitcoin forum. I play at our local forum, not here very much. I don't understand why you don't want me to join in.

I don't understand the meaning of your sentence. Please rephrase. I never said that I don't want you in.

SayLouder

Activity: 4

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 04:05:03 PM

I like that.

I don't understand the meaning of your sentence. Please rephrase. I never said that I don't want you in.

I want to answer you but they keep me wait. So restrict, that's why i want to stay local forum.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 484 »
  Print  

Jump to: