Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 07:22:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 [614] 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 ... 1311 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Ethereum: Welcome to the Beginning  (Read 2004217 times)
revelacaogr
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1021

2009 Alea iacta est

View Profile
January 24, 2017, 12:11:55 PM

I cant really trust in Vitalik again, not after that fork. The original spirit of ETH remains in ETC and the community behind it.

pure reality.....
thevictimofuktyranny
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 24, 2017, 01:49:34 PM
Last edit: January 24, 2017, 03:20:31 PM by thevictimofuktyranny

I cant really trust in Vitalik again, not after that fork. The original spirit of ETH remains in ETC and the community behind it.

pure reality.....

No, that is more like clutching at false imaginations when not investing in Ethereum Grin

The dictionary definition of noun trust is:

reliance on the integrity, strength, ability, surety, etc., of a person or thing; confidence.
confident expectation of something; hope.
confidence in the certainty of future payment for property or goods received; credit:
to sell merchandise on trust.
a person on whom or thing on which one relies:
God is my trust.
the condition of one to whom something has been entrusted.
the obligation or responsibility imposed on a person in whom confidence or authority is placed:
a position of trust.
charge, custody, or care.

As most people will accurately ascertain, Vitalik Buterin, is easily fulfilling the properties of the word trust.

The arguments dropped on this ANN to justify other crypto-currencies are nonsense. VB has done a very good job, with relations to fulfilling most of ingredients needed to achieve the word meaning of TRUST.

str4wm4n
Legendary

Activity: 1611
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 24, 2017, 01:57:04 PM

Just wondering if anyone has made a library or cross compiler for writing Ethereum smart contracts using the Ruby language?
Riddikulo

Activity: 896
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 04:37:57 AM

Ethereum Classic hashrate is 1.0 Th/s (Scypt). This is about the equivalent of 40,000 high-end GPUs. To get the amount of hashrate to perform a 51% attack (for the purpose of double spending) you'ld need to control about $10M worth of GPU hardware. This exists in the supply chain (new GPUs), or could be redirected from other altcoins, where as many as 20X this number of CPUs are already in use for other altcoins. For instance, Ethereum has about $80M worth of the same GPUs. So if just 1/8th of Ethereum miners were to decide to temporarily re-assign their hardware, contributing the hashes to a 51% attack on Ethereum-Classic, that attack would be successful.
xizmax

Activity: 527

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 11:47:16 AM

[...] where as many as 20X this number of CPUs are already in use for other altcoins. [...]

Could you kindly share where do you get this figure from?

BURST, your C:\urrency
Follow us on https://twitter.com/burstcoin_dev
thevictimofuktyranny
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 03:11:23 PM

[...] where as many as 20X this number of CPUs are already in use for other altcoins. [...]

People, are constantly doing calculations for 51% attacks, they are posted all over the place.

Just google it, if you are that interested in it, rather than being lazy and asking someone else to do your own work.

And, at least 2 of the tiny coins (minimal-like cash startups) imitating the Ethereum Foundation's algorithm open source information, have had successful 51% attacks on them - so, yes it does happen when the hashrate is really tiny on the Dagger algorithm.

However, I'd reckon that direct clone coin of Ethereum, does not have to worry about a Classic 51% attack Grin
sanas

Activity: 546

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 03:19:55 PM

Ethereum Classic hashrate is 1.0 Th/s (Scypt). This is about the equivalent of 40,000 high-end GPUs. To get the amount of hashrate to perform a 51% attack (for the purpose of double spending) you'ld need to control about $10M worth of GPU hardware. This exists in the supply chain (new GPUs), or could be redirected from other altcoins, where as many as 20X this number of CPUs are already in use for other altcoins. For instance, Ethereum has about $80M worth of the same GPUs. So if just 1/8th of Ethereum miners were to decide to temporarily re-assign their hardware, contributing the hashes to a 51% attack on Ethereum-Classic, that attack would be successful.

This possibility is, but it needs to be used with hashrate from services which sale mining power (Nicehash, Miningrigrentals). There is no such amount in order to create attack 51% on the ETC network.

.cashaa....█████
█╬██
█╬█
█╬█
█╬█
█╬█

█╬█

█╬██

█████
██████
██╬██
█╬█
█╬█
█╬█
█╬█

█╬█

██╬██

██████
█████
██╬█
█╬█
█╬█
█╬█
█╬█

█╬█

██╬█

█████
xizmax

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 06:56:25 PM

People, are constantly doing calculations for 51% attacks, they are posted all over the place.

Just google it, if you are that interested in it, rather than being lazy and asking someone else to do your own work.

And, at least 2 of the tiny coins (minimal-like cash startups) imitating the Ethereum Foundation's algorithm open source information, have had successful 51% attacks on them - so, yes it does happen when the hashrate is really tiny on the Dagger algorithm.

However, I'd reckon that direct clone coin of Ethereum, does not have to worry about a Classic 51% attack Grin

Where did I say anything about me being interested in 51% attack on ETH? Riddikulo asserted a claim that as many as 20X the number high end GPUs in CPU power is being used to mine other altcoins. I find that a pretty interesting claim.
My searches on that topic come up pretty empty, therefore I asked him to share the research, paper, blog post, or at least an educated guess where he gets that number from.

Perhaps you could try reading with some comprehension before calling me lazy, or at least change your nick to "thevictimofukeducationsystem".

thevictimofuktyranny
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2017, 12:30:34 AM

Where did I say anything about me being interested in 51% attack on ETH? Riddikulo asserted a claim that as many as 20X the number high end GPUs in CPU power is being used to mine other altcoins. I find that a pretty interesting claim.
My searches on that topic come up pretty empty, therefore I asked him to share the research, paper, blog post, or at least an educated guess where he gets that number from.

Perhaps you could try reading with some comprehension before calling me lazy, or at least change your nick to "thevictimofukeducationsystem".

Yeah, it is a world class education system in the UK Grin

You must not mine at all. Nicehash multi-algo mining software can benchmark a few algorithims on CPUs.

20X is an average, because the hashrate or the values of coins is lower or it is has a low-startup investment and they tend to focus on periods of CPU mining.

The CryptoNight alogorithm is still pretty close between GPUs and CPUs.

AMD FX6300 does around 230hashes.

R9 290 does around 760hashes.

And, yes, I read it on this Forum's ANN, as well as from other websites.

As I said, you are a tad lazy!
xizmax

View Profile
January 26, 2017, 08:17:25 AM

Seems to me, mate, that you are far from an Oxford man. Rather, everything points to you being a chav mate.

Again, where is the data to back up the claim that there are 20 times more CPUs mining other coins than there are GPUs mining Ethereum?

I care nothing about benchmarks and hashrate estimates the way you present them.
If you can use the estimates to show the 20x relationship described above I will credit you with original research.

thevictimofuktyranny
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2017, 04:55:53 PM

Seems to me, mate, that you are far from an Oxford man. Rather, everything points to you being a chav mate.

Again, where is the data to back up the claim that there are 20 times more CPUs mining other coins than there are GPUs mining Ethereum?

I care nothing about benchmarks and hashrate estimates the way you present them.
If you can use the estimates to show the 20x relationship described above I will credit you with original research.

My family is from the India, Punjab and they are from a farming heritage!

If, you want too call me CHAV - then I'll stick up up for those downtrodden people - why not? However, I do not where sports clothing Cheesy

I have brother who graduated from Cambridge University, another graduated from University College London. Another, who went to London School Economics, but dropped out too pursue other interests.

As for myself, I do have problems with writing English - grammar, spelling and so on. Therefore, I didn't enjoy school and didn't excel, especially in written timed exams.

My IQ is 142, which (at the time) was 5 points short of joining MENSA, but I was smoking cigarettes at the time and that takes 7 points of IQ test results.

You did not read the original post: the person's post was a digression "20X this number of CPUs are already in use for other altcoins". Their digression was: there is 20X times CPUs in usage too the number of GPUs, with relation to GPUs on needed for 51% attack on that other coin (not at all relevant too Ethereum).

Therefore, the person posting is saying that their are 800,000 CPUs mining ALTs, which there is no way too validate, even if you had an interest in mining with CPUs.

But, if you do mine with CPUs - you would be able to work too do a rough calculation by adding up hashrates for ALTs that have CPU mining on them and dividing that by the average hashrate per CPU.

Pretty tedious too do Grin

xizmax

View Profile
January 26, 2017, 05:39:33 PM

If, you want too call me CHAV - then I'll stick up up for those downtrodden people - why not? However, I do not where sports clothing Cheesy

I have brother who graduated from Cambridge University, another graduated from University College London. Another, who went to London School Economics, but dropped out too pursue other interests.

As for myself, I do have problems with writing English - grammar, spelling and so on. Therefore, I didn't enjoy school and didn't excel, especially in written timed exams.

My IQ is 142, which (at the time) was 5 points short of joining MENSA, but I was smoking cigarettes at the time and that takes 7 points of IQ test results.

It is fairly obvious that you have issues in reading english as well. I dare say more so than writing it.
I can beat your IQ numbers and then some (I still smoke Cheesy), however that measure is so irrelevant it is pointless to bring it up in any sort of discussion. I guess people just love to boast.

Therefore, the person posting is saying that their are 800,000 CPUs mining ALTs, which there is no way too validate, even if you had an interest in mining with CPUs.

Finally you got it. I believe such a bold claim warrants some backing up. You claim it is impossible to validate. I ask Riddikulo whether he tried to.

But, if you do mine with CPUs - you would be able to work too do a rough calculation by adding up hashrates for ALTs that have CPU mining on them and dividing that by the average hashrate per CPU.

That is why I was wondering whether Riddikulo has in fact performed such calculations, read them somewhere, or did he just pull a number out of his ass. Third option is by far the most likely and the least interesting.

wallflies

Activity: 160
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 27, 2017, 01:12:28 AM

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

http://www.coindesk.com/lendingrobot-public-ethereum-blockchain/

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

https://cointelegraph.com/news/blockchain-ever-after-matchpool-plans-dating-site-launch-with-valentines-event

thevictimofuktyranny
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2017, 03:57:00 AM

It is fairly obvious that you have issues in reading english as well. I dare say more so than writing it.
I can beat your IQ numbers and then some (I still smoke Cheesy), however that measure is so irrelevant it is pointless to bring it up in any sort of discussion. I guess people just love to boast.

Finally you got it. I believe such a bold claim warrants some backing up. You claim it is impossible to validate. I ask Riddikulo whether he tried to.

That is why I was wondering whether Riddikulo has in fact performed such calculations, read them somewhere, or did he just pull a number out of his ass. Third option is by far the most likely and the least interesting.

Speculation is not an argument: if you want to disprove Riddikulo's original post, do it with evidence and research.

Clearly, Riddikulo has little interest in your questions - I can't say he is wrong not care about you Grin

xizmax

View Profile
January 27, 2017, 08:12:16 AM

Speculation is not an argument: if you want to disprove Riddikulo's original post, do it with evidence and research.

Clearly, Riddikulo has little interest in your questions - I can't say he is wrong not care about you Grin

Aaaand we're back with 140+ IQ level reasoning, I did not make the claim, the burden of proof is on him. I did not say I am looking to confirm or disprove it, I asked for him to show some data.

Whether he cares about me or not is beside the point, if he doesn't show data or, at least, some educated guesswork he did not show shit.

Keep on shilling for ETH my punjabi mate, seems like you got skin in the game.

thevictimofuktyranny
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2017, 02:40:04 PM

Aaaand we're back with 140+ IQ level reasoning, I did not make the claim, the burden of proof is on him. I did not say I am looking to confirm or disprove it, I asked for him to show some data.

Whether he cares about me or not is beside the point, if he doesn't show data or, at least, some educated guesswork he did not show shit.

Keep on shilling for ETH my punjabi mate, seems like you got skin in the game.

Nope, IQ has nothing to do with it. Nor, does family ancestry.

On Bitcointalk Forum: people frequently post bits of information and never answer questions. It's normal to see this, crypto-currencies are worth a lot of money and people do not want to lose their mining or investing niches or strategies. Every now and then, people will give out a bit of information that is a nice thing to know and helpful!

Even sending people messages to people can go unanswered on this Forum, this is pretty normal.

Trolls: on the other hand post stuff that is incorrect for whole raft of reasons on various threads.

Therefore, when getting the best out of this Forum, you have to do your own research and follow whose people whose posts are the former over the latter.

And, I have posted on this ANN many times, that I've invested in Ethereum and I use GPUs too mine coins.
thevictimofuktyranny
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2017, 12:15:56 AM

As a digression, GPU mining is really interesting these days for accumulators.

Because, you have market credibility based on Research and Development funding.

Ethereum has a lot of funds for coding and research, from the initial offering.

Dash has 10% of future mining rewards available for coding, research and promotional materials.

ZCash (new entrant) has 20% (in the first 4 years) for coding, research and repaying the groups who funded the new startup.

Of course, because the cypto-currency sector is so tiny, as a proportion of the world total GDP - all may become hugely successful for investors and miners.
OmniEdge

Activity: 16
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 28, 2017, 12:17:16 AM

It's hard to trust the Ethereum platform after having bailed-out TheDao contract. A precedent has been set but great tragedies give birth to great things. Ethereum Classic has kept it's ledger and core principles intact as the original chain. It is diverging by staying POW or POW/POS hybrid (Twinchains) + a new monetary policy but principles of decentralisation including governance, immutable ledger and unstoppable contracts are at it's core. Competition is good and different flavours will only improve the whole ecosystem but ETC should not be ignored and underestimated.
thevictimofuktyranny
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2017, 12:20:21 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention, some of major Ethereum coin holders are coding geniuses  Smiley
thevictimofuktyranny
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2017, 01:16:56 AM
Last edit: January 28, 2017, 06:15:08 AM by thevictimofuktyranny

And, one would hope, that when the Casper-POS is implemented.

The Ethereum Foundation will add an additional deduction to issuance to maintain their eminent position for ongoing Coding and Research Development.

Even, increasing the the issuance by 0.5% and adding deduction of 30% on issuance seems a really progressive step in terms of the current crypto funding innovations Wink

So, say the planned issuance is 0.5%.

The new issuance would be 1%,

The investors would get and extra 0.2% (net 0.7%)

And, the Ethereum Foundation would get 0.3% as ongoing source to pay for research and development in relation too coding.

Whilst, investors would gain the new benefit of new long-term events increasing the market capitalisation, e.g. the value per one ETH Smiley

Sorry, for not spacing this posts out over 5 months, but I'm currently involved in a major gaming enjoyment of playing "Civilisations Beyond Earth"!

To my surprise, the game looks beautiful and music is fantastic.

Anyway, when I doing gaming - I tend to disappear for 1-2 months from the Forum and the Trolls make this ANN a chore to read, whilst you are enjoying music and beautiful sights.
Pages: « 1 ... 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 [614] 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 ... 1311 »
  Print  

Jump to: