Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:39:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 [712] 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 ... 1310 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Ethereum: Welcome to the Beginning  (Read 2003998 times)
jc12345
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1013

View Profile
July 20, 2017, 06:01:43 PM
Last edit: July 20, 2017, 06:27:56 PM by jc12345

Will a hardfork be done to recover the stolen money for DAO? ...

Will a hardfork be done to recover the stolen money for this hack? ...

PS: This is just a bit of satire and meant as a jk   Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Fargusson

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

Mummy! I've got a domain name now! fargusson.eth

View Profile
July 20, 2017, 06:10:31 PM

Ok kids. When you see a BTC/ETC extremist on this thread, just shout "People scared of succeeding cryptos behind you Dora !!!"

cjmoles
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2017, 06:41:03 PM

it has been said that the three addresses affected were addresses related to an incoming ICO !
Does anybody know what project token or ICO was effected by this attack?  A hardfork isn't the solution though....sloppy code will result in a messy outcome, so the solution is to not take risks with unproven code.  This isn't the type of stuff for which a chain should be purposefully forked, right?

the dao was sloppy code and ethereum forked !?

Good one roselee  Grin

Please remember that the DAO hard fork was decided after (almost) consensus in the ETH community as wasn't the result of a so called God mode.

Moreover, the DAO owned 15% of all ETH when the bug in Parity's multisig we are facing here is only regarding 0.6% of all ETH (of which 3/4 has been rescued by the White hats group). Not that much at stake to even consider an hard fork here.

no i see it different the dao fork was no consensus of "almost all users" the voting was done in a rush not all useres could join or wanted to join becouse you had to send eth to vote and simple ethereum holders not invested in the dao didnt find out that fast. and there were lots of no´s about it. but as i recall lots of the VIP´s were invested in the dao and thats why the hardfork was important.ETC suporters were called suporter of thiefs becouse they said comunity cant rollback the chain to bail out bad investment. and now you say the damage is not done to a lot of people so no hardfork? a year ago the eth suporters said a thief is a thief and cant get away with it . but never mind i just wanted to know how eth suporters see it a year later.

Well, look at the differences in value....How much has the value of eth increased since the DAO fork?  And, yes, the DAO contract code was exploited if you remember right....that was a major part of the argument.  I was invested in the DAO, but I was against a fork because of the very questions we're facing today....It worked out for Ethereum ---> That observation can be deduced from the levels of support for the two separate chains, right?  However, the original fork decision is still throwing shade on the governance of the network and that was predicted during the first fork debate.
profitgenerator212

Activity: 714
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 20, 2017, 08:31:21 PM

IMHO some governments are thinking about tokenizing fiat especially in Asia because it's a way to make cashless transactions without having to trust a third party like Paypal or WeChat in China.

But it's certainly not for price stability yet as even the big cryptocurrencies are still very (VERY) volatile.

So what now we will have like a GovPay service? Pay through government payment processor? Not that private payment processors can't be abusive, but the government is just horrible.

They will be unresponsive, nasty to customers,after all they have the monopoly on foce... don't like it? Vote for better politicians next time  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

█████
                        █████████████
                     █████████████
                 ██████████████        █████
              █████████████        ████████████
          ██████████████        █████████████
       █████████████        █████████████       ██████
       ██████████        ████████████           ██████
       ███████       █████████████       ███    ██████
       ███████    █████████████       ██████    ██████
       ████████████████████       ██████████    ██████
       █████████████████       █████████████    ██████
       █████████████       █████████████        ██████
       ██████████       █████████████           ██████
       ███████      ██████████████       ███    ██████
       ██████    █████████████       ███████    ██████
       ██████    ██████████       ██████████    ██████
       ██████    ██████        █████████████    ██████
       ██████    ███       █████████████        ██████
       ██████           █████████████       ██████████
       ██████       █████████████        █████████████
                 █████████████       █████████████
              ████████████        █████████████
                  ████         ████████████
                           █████████████
                         ███████████
                            █████
Ferrum Network • Interoperability Network for Financial Applications
Fargusson

View Profile
July 20, 2017, 10:51:18 PM

IMHO some governments are thinking about tokenizing fiat especially in Asia because it's a way to make cashless transactions without having to trust a third party like Paypal or WeChat in China.

But it's certainly not for price stability yet as even the big cryptocurrencies are still very (VERY) volatile.

So what now we will have like a GovPay service? Pay through government payment processor? Not that private payment processors can't be abusive, but the government is just horrible.

They will be unresponsive, nasty to customers,after all they have the monopoly on foce... don't like it? Vote for better politicians next time  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I'm not sure about the idea behind the mind of the Singaporian government, but I think it's simply to create a token endorsed by their central bank which can act on its value. That obviously doesn't mean that the central bank of Singapore will decide of the value of ETH but only of the value of the token they created.

This token can then be used for interbank or just day to day transactions using the power of the distributed ledger behind the blockchain, knowing that all your token can be changed for singaporian dollars at any time with, I assume, a fixed exchange rate.

So IMO it's basically a way to simplify transaction and to encourage cashless payments.

Another article on this subject here.
Tradegroup

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 20, 2017, 10:56:36 PM

Ethereum is doing excellent. It will rise again
bobq

Activity: 1148
Merit: 307

View Profile
July 20, 2017, 11:18:08 PM

Actually in this very moment it is tanking like there is no tomorrow...

barabbas
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 20, 2017, 11:37:55 PM

But not like this. Why the hell would people want a tokenized fiat? It makes no sense.

Why not just use the established cryptocurrencies for day to day payments...

Price stability??

You mean 10% inflation / yeaar? 99.9% of the value of USD was lost in the past 100 years...

No thanks. I like if my wealth is going up not down. Cryptocurrencies mostly go up in price.

And that's why the price of BTC is up today over 30%. Not as a currency, because it would be absurd to pretend to use a coin that in a couple hours can have swing, both ways, of 30% or more, but as a store of value. Those who bought under $2,000. Are making a mint, not just stowing value that will go much higher and definitely much higher than gold in tears to come. Whether they choose to trade and cash in the profits or keep it gaining long-term value, it is not a currency that can be used on a daily basis. The dollars has lost very little value in the last 6 months with respect to other currencies... except bitcoin, of course. Or ETH, even this blasted ETH that has been halved and is having serious trouble gaining traction. Or practically any other cryptos. That said, the risk of being robbed by hackers will need a much higher valuation for the vast majority of people to put real money in. Only speculators.
IncludeBeer
Legendary

Activity: 1164
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 20, 2017, 11:57:41 PM

Actually in this very moment it is tanking like there is no tomorrow...

Matter of opinion. Smiley Dipping in terms of BTC. Pumping in terms of USD.

Really though, this is absolutely nothing new.

Grow the Dividend Snek! (pm me if you have questions)
https://powh.io/?masternode=0x1f9b145fdaef2b82aef29c2f3c9b875a8b017512
Blake Birk

Activity: 667
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2017, 01:21:43 AM

A bitcoin and ethereum enyclopedia

roselee
Legendary

Activity: 1078

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 06:18:57 AM

it has been said that the three addresses affected were addresses related to an incoming ICO !
Does anybody know what project token or ICO was effected by this attack?  A hardfork isn't the solution though....sloppy code will result in a messy outcome, so the solution is to not take risks with unproven code.  This isn't the type of stuff for which a chain should be purposefully forked, right?

the dao was sloppy code and ethereum forked !?

Good one roselee  Grin

Please remember that the DAO hard fork was decided after (almost) consensus in the ETH community as wasn't the result of a so called God mode.

Moreover, the DAO owned 15% of all ETH when the bug in Parity's multisig we are facing here is only regarding 0.6% of all ETH (of which 3/4 has been rescued by the White hats group). Not that much at stake to even consider an hard fork here.

no i see it different the dao fork was no consensus of "almost all users" the voting was done in a rush not all useres could join or wanted to join becouse you had to send eth to vote and simple ethereum holders not invested in the dao didnt find out that fast. and there were lots of no´s about it. but as i recall lots of the VIP´s were invested in the dao and thats why the hardfork was important.ETC suporters were called suporter of thiefs becouse they said comunity cant rollback the chain to bail out bad investment. and now you say the damage is not done to a lot of people so no hardfork? a year ago the eth suporters said a thief is a thief and cant get away with it . but never mind i just wanted to know how eth suporters see it a year later.

Well, look at the differences in value....How much has the value of eth increased since the DAO fork?  And, yes, the DAO contract code was exploited if you remember right....that was a major part of the argument.  I was invested in the DAO, but I was against a fork because of the very questions we're facing today....It worked out for Ethereum ---> That observation can be deduced from the levels of support for the two separate chains, right?  However, the original fork decision is still throwing shade on the governance of the network and that was predicted during the first fork debate.
hmm breaking down what you say is, since the shady goverance dealing with the dao the interest of big players was turned to ethereum? and now ethereum gets used to tokenice fiat.
dont get me wrong i thought and think vitalik had a amazing idea, thats why i invested in the crwodsale. but 
is this ethereum still what vitalik visioned back then ?

Fargusson

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 10:59:11 AM

ETH successfully split using updated splitter @ http://chainsplit.com/updated-eth-etc-split for those of you asking how to split after-fork coins  Wink

Thank you man for this always beloved scam.
Fargusson

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 11:19:07 AM

hmm breaking down what you say is, since the shady goverance dealing with the dao the interest of big players was turned to ethereum? and now ethereum gets used to tokenice fiat.
dont get me wrong i thought and think vitalik had a amazing idea, thats why i invested in the crwodsale. but 
is this ethereum still what vitalik visioned back then ?

I don't see why the adoption of a crypto by nations and/or banks ought to be seen as some kind of trojan horse...

Look at Bitcoin. Bitcoin is out there since 2009 and the reason why it's still the crypto with the most important market cap is because it managed to be adopted by people (of course) but also by entreprises, cities, banks, etc... The best example of that being the now defunct R3 consortium.

Adoption by the majority is the only way to develop a stable nevertheless dynamic crypto ecosystem. And regular people don't want to invest in some bizarre thing where you can loose all your money within a day or two just because of a sloppy code or because a whale decided to sell out. Therefore crypto will need at some point to be endorse by institutions people think are legit (states, big companies, banks, etc...).

The question is: will this endorsement mean that states and big companies will control the blockchains or will the nodes remain distributed enough to preserve the independance of the blockchain?
(Note that the actual situation in Bitcoin - where some chinese mining farms got a really huge power - is not better IMHO than a scenario where a state or a bank get the same role).
notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 11:39:39 AM
Last edit: July 21, 2017, 08:14:22 PM by notbatman

ETH successfully split using updated splitter @ http://chainsplit.com/updated-eth-etc-split for those of you asking how to split after-fork coins  Wink

The ETH logo looks like the center of the masonic square and compass IMO, I'm goncerned. I was heavily invested in the DAO so of course I threw my support behind the dev team and screamed scam at ETC. However I'm worried that Butters will turn into Andresen 2.0 especially with his meeting Putin reminds of the time the CIA put a chip in buddy's head made him larp support for 20GB blocks.

My views have changed a bit over time and ETC is not a scam IMO.

My 2c.

Fargusson

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 01:29:01 PM
Last edit: July 21, 2017, 01:41:24 PM by Fargusson

ETH successfully split using updated splitter @ http://chainsplit.com/updated-eth-etc-split for those of you asking how to split after-fork coins  Wink

The ETH logo looks like the center of the masonic square and compass IMO, I'm goncerned. I was heavily invested in the DAO so of course I threw my support behind the dev team and screamed scam at ETC. However I'm worried that Butters will turn into Andresen 2.0 especially with his meeting Putin reminds of the time the CIA put a chip in buddies head made him larp support for 20GB blocks.

My 2c.

Man, you couldn't be more wrong...

The image below shows the unspeakable truth... ETC is meant for the Illuminatis. ETH is for true libertarians!

roselee
Legendary

Activity: 1078

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 02:45:15 PM

The ETH logo looks like the center of the masonic square and compass IMO, I'm goncerned. I was heavily invested in the DAO so of course I threw my support behind the dev team and screamed scam at ETC. However I'm worried that Butters will turn into Andresen 2.0 especially with his meeting Putin reminds of the time the CIA put a chip in buddies head made him larp support for 20GB blocks.

My 2c.

Man, you couldn't be more wrong...

The image below shows the unspeakable truth... ETC is meant for the Illuminatis. ETH is for true libertarians!

lol your jokes are awsom lol

densuj
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 05:37:04 PM

The food industry is warming up to blockchain, thanks to the likes of Ambrosus. The Swiss startup was founded last year, but officially launched yesterday. An Initial Coin Offering (ICO) will begin in September.

According to Ambrosus’ website, the company aims to use cutting-edge technology to improve the food supply chain: “Combining high-tech sensors, blockchain protocol, and smart contracts.

https://futurism.com/ethereum-co-founder-helps-launch-new-blockchain-startup/amp/
Fargusson

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 05:55:17 PM

The food industry is warming up to blockchain, thanks to the likes of Ambrosus. The Swiss startup was founded last year, but officially launched yesterday. An Initial Coin Offering (ICO) will begin in September.

According to Ambrosus’ website, the company aims to use cutting-edge technology to improve the food supply chain: “Combining high-tech sensors, blockchain protocol, and smart contracts.

https://futurism.com/ethereum-co-founder-helps-launch-new-blockchain-startup/amp/

And the first beta version of Web3 javascript is out!

A good day for Ethereum indeed.
Fargusson

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 06:02:04 PM

Sharing with you an interesting analysis of the repartition by volume of fiat/crypto trading.

Seems that the South Koreans are well represented in the Ethereum economy.
notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 08:19:23 PM

So am I understanding correctly that countries are now converting their fiat currency to Ethereum tokens?
Pages: « 1 ... 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 [712] 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 ... 1310 »
  Print  

Jump to: