Bitcoin Forum
September 23, 2024, 06:59:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 [265] 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [POOL][Scrypt][Scrypt-N][X11] Profit switching pool - wafflepool.com  (Read 465651 times)
richmke

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 06:49:28 PM

Quick update guys:

From now on (first went out about 15min ago), payouts will be merged for all algorithms.

Yea!!! My Scrypt "Earned (not yet sent)" was cleared out.
I still have some "Unconverted (approximate)" of .00001496. The last time I mined Scrypt was a month ago. Is that an artifact of the algorithm, or are there some coins that have not been mined for a while, and have some token balances that are too small to be converted?

Also, I noticed the scrypt hash rate was 69% for 7/13/14, and 81% right now on 7/14/14. Any reason the coin switcher doesn't mine LTC to stay around 100%?
utahjohn

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 06:56:37 PM

Quick update guys:

From now on (first went out about 15min ago), payouts will be merged for all algorithms.

I still have some "Unconverted (approximate)" of .00001496. The last time I mined Scrypt was a month ago. Is that an artifact of the algorithm, or are there some coins that have not been mined for a while, and have some token balances that are too small to be converted?

Also, I noticed the scrypt hash rate was 69% for 7/13/14, and 81% right now on 7/14/14. Any reason the coin switcher doesn't mine LTC to stay around 100%?
I have some unconverted also lingering and have not mined scrypt or nscrypt for a long time (weeks).
phzi

Activity: 700

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 06:57:36 PM

This has been discussed in this thread numerous times.  
However, the key is that mining only LTC will not produce results any closer to 100% LTC, because "100% LTC" is an artificial/optimal stat.
richmke

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 07:08:45 PM

1) The numbers that i was primary proposaling are the numbers (current exchange price) that are the "most profitable"  at that time. It is just a basic addition to the stats that would enhance the already shown "most profitable" and should be as easy as the already shown "most profitable" coin as it would come from exactly same data.

Coins are mined continuously. Do you want the last block of the most profitable coin, or the average for the last [time period] of the most profitable coin?

What if the "most profitable" coin being mined is only 25% of the pool?

What about "price/btc"? Time it was mined? Average over the last [period of time]?

You also want the actual exchange rate. Sometimes that doesn't happen for a while (hours). Wait to post until the exchange actually happens?

You also want the number of coins exchanged, and the realized BTC. What happens if there are a bunch of blocks that are all exchanged at the same time?

PW's accounting has that all matched up in order to allocate distributions. If you want real-time data, you can't get the actual exchange rate, because it may not happen for a while (takes time for coin to become confirmed, to transfer coins to exchange, and to execute an exchange order).

PW already publishes a list of recently found blocks on the Stats page. I suppose he can add to that list the spot BTC/coin at the time it was mined. Maybe also add the pool hash rate. Then you can estimate your share of the payout.

I don't know how hard it would be to add an exchange log: coin name, time, # of coins, BTC received.

Then you can do all the math you want.

poolwaffle (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 254

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 08:24:56 PM

Quick update guys:

I have some unconverted also lingering and have not mined scrypt or nscrypt for a long time (weeks).

I'll dig through it, can one of you email me your mining address?  Most likely there was a coin that we mined for a bit, and was disabled for some reason (POW ended, major fork, etc) and we mis-processed an orphaned block somewhere.  I just need to track down the block and re-process it to get the status updated.
utahjohn

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 10:28:59 PM
Last edit: July 14, 2014, 11:32:10 PM by utahjohn

Quick update guys:

I'll dig through it, can one of you email me your mining address?  Most likely there was a coin that we mined for a bit, and was disabled for some reason (POW ended, major fork, etc) and we mis-processed an orphaned block somewhere.  I just need to track down the block and re-process it to get the status updated.
My address is in sig Wink
BTW I have been notified that trademybit beat us to the hidden coin on X13 whose name starts with a P.... and pays 99 ... but this  eases up downward pressure on JUDGE for which they are sighing in relief Smiley
poolwaffle (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 12:26:56 AM

Quick update guys:

I'll dig through it, can one of you email me your mining address?  Most likely there was a coin that we mined for a bit, and was disabled for some reason (POW ended, major fork, etc) and we mis-processed an orphaned block somewhere.  I just need to track down the block and re-process it to get the status updated.
My address is in sig Wink
BTW I have been notified that trademybit beat us to the hidden coin on X13 whose name starts with a P.... and pays 99 ... but this  eases up downward pressure on JUDGE for which they are sighing in relief Smiley

I'll check the address, not sure when tmb added it, but I thought we beat them Smiley
GoldBit89

Activity: 526

Its all about the Gold

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:01:04 AM

1) The numbers that i was primary proposaling are the numbers (current exchange price) that are the "most profitable"  at that time. It is just a basic addition to the stats that would enhance the already shown "most profitable" and should be as easy as the already shown "most profitable" coin as it would come from exactly same data.

Coins are mined continuously. Do you want the last block of the most profitable coin, or the average for the last [time period] of the most profitable coin?

What if the "most profitable" coin being mined is only 25% of the pool?

What about "price/btc"? Time it was mined? Average over the last [period of time]?

You also want the actual exchange rate. Sometimes that doesn't happen for a while (hours). Wait to post until the exchange actually happens?

You also want the number of coins exchanged, and the realized BTC. What happens if there are a bunch of blocks that are all exchanged at the same time?

PW's accounting has that all matched up in order to allocate distributions. If you want real-time data, you can't get the actual exchange rate, because it may not happen for a while (takes time for coin to become confirmed, to transfer coins to exchange, and to execute an exchange order).

PW already publishes a list of recently found blocks on the Stats page. I suppose he can add to that list the spot BTC/coin at the time it was mined. Maybe also add the pool hash rate. Then you can estimate your share of the payout.

I don't know how hard it would be to add an exchange log: coin name, time, # of coins, BTC received.

Then you can do all the math you want.

"Coins are mined continuously. Do you want the last block of the most profitable coin, or the average for the last [time period] of the most profitable coin?"
 my response: i am suggesting the current price which made it the "most profitable" at that time we are mining it. (In other words, the reason it was "most profitable" was due to its price in respect to litecoins price.)

"What if the "most profitable" coin being mined is only 25% of the pool?"
 my response: makes no difference what percentage it is of the pool.

"What about "price/btc"? Time it was mined? Average over the last [period of time]?"
 my response: actually that is a good point in a way , the btc/price has no bearing on the first " most profitable" price number until after said "most profitable" coins are exchanged into btc.On waffles pool for instance the " most profitable" is determined to be based off ltc.But in theory the price of btc while mining " most profitable" coin can have a effect on "most profitable" as well. Just how much is the real mystery.

"You also want the actual exchange rate. Sometimes that doesn't happen for a while (hours). Wait to post until the exchange actually happens?"
 my response: paid stats are not posted until after they are actually exchanged any ways, so no change here except the fact that while said "most profitable" coin is mining the pool records the price at which made it "most profitable" and simply displays it when complete. You may ask why this is important, well in my mind it would show transparency of "most profitable" coin from start to end and effectively insure that  the pool stays profitable long term. The formula for profitability is very simple in that it is basically income minus expenses, there is no complex formula that needs to be adjusted or tweaked every so often. Now maybe the exchanging part might need adjusting or tweaking, but the overall profitability formula should stay the same.

"You also want the number of coins exchanged, and the realized BTC. What happens if there are a bunch of blocks that are all exchanged at the same time?"
 my response: again nothing changes current system on this. Just looking to have displayed the price when "most profitable" and the price it was exchanged for, no matter of when it occurred (unless it occurred like a year later or something crazy like that).

"PW's accounting has that all matched up in order to allocate distributions. If you want real-time data, you can't get the actual exchange rate, because it may not happen for a while (takes time for coin to become confirmed, to transfer coins to exchange, and to execute an exchange order)."
 my response: well i would hope that it is all real time data actually, as how would it be " most profitable" at that moment we are switching the pool to mine it if it was not real time data?

"PW already publishes a list of recently found blocks on the Stats page. I suppose he can add to that list the spot BTC/coin at the time it was mined. Maybe also add the pool hash rate. Then you can estimate your share of the payout. "
 my response: Waffle pool already does a great job of estimating our shares of payout. This proposal is all about pools showing more transparency of "most profitable" coins. You can call it a sorta checks and balances system for all involved(really a win/win for miners as well as pool operator) as usually the pools mining software setup is only as good as it was programmed to perform.

"Then you can do all the math you want."
 my response: im trying to get away from having to do all the math and let the computer process that for me there by freeing me up to do other tasks.

FTC  6nvzqqaCEizThvgMeC86MGzhAxGzKEtNH8 |WDC WckDxipCes2eBmxrUYEhrUfNNRZexKuYjR  |BQC bSDm3XvauqWWnqrxfimw5wdHVDQDp2U8XU
BOT EjcroqeMpZT4hphY4xYDzTQakwutpnufQR |BTG geLUGuJkhnvuft77ND6VrMvc8vxySKZBUz |LTC  LhXbJMzCqLEzGBKgB2n73oce448BxX1dc4
BTC 1JPzHugtBtPwXgwMqt9rtdwRxxWyaZvk61  |ETH 0xA6cCD2Fb3AC2450646F8D8ebeb14f084F392ACFf
richmke

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 02:57:04 PM

Goldbit:

Assume Altcoin/btc spot prices are:

8:00:00 500 Altcoin/btc, is profitable, and added to the mining pool
9:00:00 spot price is 475
9:30:00 spot price is 450
10:00:00 spot price is 500
11:00:00 spot price is 600
11:30:00 spot price is 400
12:00:00 spot price is 375

Let's say that 50 Altcoin is mined at 9:00:00. Confirmed at 9:30:00. Exchanged for BTC at 12:00:00. What time do you want what posted?
edonkey
Legendary

Activity: 1150
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 04:06:44 PM

PW, are you aware of the Vertcoin fork that the dev team created to roll back a massive theft transaction from MintPal? Does that mean that you have to update in order to keep Vertcoin working in the Scrypt N pool?

Was I helpful?   BTC: 3G1Ubof5u8K9iJkM8We2f3amYZgGVdvpHr
madsciencecoder

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 04:25:05 PM

PW, are you aware of the Vertcoin fork that the dev team created to roll back a massive theft transaction from MintPal? Does that mean that you have to update in order to keep Vertcoin working in the Scrypt N pool?

I believe that you are confusing Vertcoin with Vericoin.  AFAIK Vericoin is the one that was forked.
edonkey
Legendary

Activity: 1150
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 04:26:33 PM

I believe that you are confusing Vertcoin with Vericoin.  AFAIK Vericoin is the one that was forked.

Ah, crap! You're right.

That's what I get for posting before I've had any coffee!

Sorry for the false alarm...

Was I helpful?   BTC: 3G1Ubof5u8K9iJkM8We2f3amYZgGVdvpHr
poolwaffle (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 05:02:31 PM

snipped...

"Coins are mined continuously. Do you want the last block of the most profitable coin, or the average for the last [time period] of the most profitable coin?"
 my response: i am suggesting the current price which made it the "most profitable" at that time we are mining it. (In other words, the reason it was "most profitable" was due to its price in respect to litecoins price.)
It is extremely rare that the choice to mine is based on price.  Price is the slowest changing of any of the factors.  Normally the main profitability change is difficulty.  The price however also will likely not match up with any exchange prices at the time, since it is a huge amount of stuff built into the price, it could vary wildly (not matched to the actual exchange prices).

"What if the "most profitable" coin being mined is only 25% of the pool?"
 my response: makes no difference what percentage it is of the pool.
It does make a difference, specifically with smaller (low difficulty) coins have such low expected block times that the propagation time across clusters (eu to usw, use to sea) makes you start seeing a massive amount of wasted time, meaning that its actually more profitable overall to mine the 2nd/3rd most profitable (raw profitability) coin.

"What about "price/btc"? Time it was mined? Average over the last [period of time]?"
 my response: actually that is a good point in a way , the btc/price has no bearing on the first " most profitable" price number until after said "most profitable" coins are exchanged into btc.On waffles pool for instance the " most profitable" is determined to be based off ltc.But in theory the price of btc while mining " most profitable" coin can have a effect on "most profitable" as well. Just how much is the real mystery.
This is incorrect.  Profitability is based solely on BTC (nothing about LTC), it is only presented on the front-end as connected to LTC (and then only in the vsLTC stat).  Price of BTC (compared to your choice of fiat) has only two effects on profitability (and these are negligible), one is that it might be more effective to mine sha256 instead of another algo (which essentially is not going to happen), and second is that the price of btc affects the amount in fiat you're making that is needed to be converted to cover electrical costs.  Everything outside of that, btc should have no effect on mining/profitability calculations.

"You also want the actual exchange rate. Sometimes that doesn't happen for a while (hours). Wait to post until the exchange actually happens?"
 my response: paid stats are not posted until after they are actually exchanged any ways, so no change here except the fact that while said "most profitable" coin is mining the pool records the price at which made it "most profitable" and simply displays it when complete. You may ask why this is important, well in my mind it would show transparency of "most profitable" coin from start to end and effectively insure that  the pool stays profitable long term. The formula for profitability is very simple in that it is basically income minus expenses, there is no complex formula that needs to be adjusted or tweaked every so often. Now maybe the exchanging part might need adjusting or tweaking, but the overall profitability formula should stay the same.

"You also want the number of coins exchanged, and the realized BTC. What happens if there are a bunch of blocks that are all exchanged at the same time?"
 my response: again nothing changes current system on this. Just looking to have displayed the price when "most profitable" and the price it was exchanged for, no matter of when it occurred (unless it occurred like a year later or something crazy like that).
The only downside would be the possible reverse-engineering of our pricing algorithm (exchange splitting, depth calcs, etc).  Not a huge deal however.  Also, the price listed when we mined a block would not necessarily be the price we expected when we started mining a coin.  A large number of our miners (moreso on scrypt than other algos) take a few seconds to change work.  So if the price changes, we switch coins, and a block comes in from one of those slow-to-change miners, the price is not very indicative.

"PW's accounting has that all matched up in order to allocate distributions. If you want real-time data, you can't get the actual exchange rate, because it may not happen for a while (takes time for coin to become confirmed, to transfer coins to exchange, and to execute an exchange order)."
 my response: well i would hope that it is all real time data actually, as how would it be " most profitable" at that moment we are switching the pool to mine it if it was not real time data?
We pull real-time price data of course.  But again, the price we base all of our decisions on has a TON more baked into it than that price.

"PW already publishes a list of recently found blocks on the Stats page. I suppose he can add to that list the spot BTC/coin at the time it was mined. Maybe also add the pool hash rate. Then you can estimate your share of the payout. "
 my response: Waffle pool already does a great job of estimating our shares of payout. This proposal is all about pools showing more transparency of "most profitable" coins. You can call it a sorta checks and balances system for all involved(really a win/win for miners as well as pool operator) as usually the pools mining software setup is only as good as it was programmed to perform.

I'm just a bit confused on where the transparency helps.  I can't think of a situation where I would actively want to skew the profitability data.  The main reason the inputs aren't shown is that they're not that useful to miners, and it keeps pool competition down.  It would be extremely easy for me to open-source everything behind WP, but I put a ton of work into getting to this spot, and would love to profit from my work (selfish I know, but the truth).  The only reason anything is hidden on the site is for competitive advantage, not to hide things from miners (compare to other pools, we publish a TON more data for transparency).  Many pools it would be trivial for the owner to skim earnings from the pools, and as a way to show that I'm not doing that, I try to publish everything I can that doesn't compromise competitive advantages (for me, and for our miners).

As for the profitability part, I'm confused as to why/how there would be a reason that more transparency would be better.  Transparency is there to show that I'm not doing something that would harm miners (to keep me accountable), which I'm all for.  But in the case of profitability calculations, I really can't think of a way that I could be doing something in the calculations that would benefit me, and harm miners.  In the profitability calculations both sets of interests are aligned (miners/owner).  I want the pool to do the best it can in terms of profitability for two reasons, 1) I directly take a %, so higher profitability = higher earnings, and 2) higher profitability looks good, attracting more miners leading to a repeat of #1.  Transparency just isn't needed, and only hurts competitive advantage. 

If you have a theoretical situation that results in higher earnings for me personally, but hurts the miners in the pool based solely on profitability data that we don't publish, I'd love to hear it (and if it is a legitimate concern, we can discuss getting the data published to alleviate the concern), but until then, I can't see a reason...
m0narch

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 06:29:34 PM

I honestly don't think poolwaffle should be asked to show everything behind the scenes to miners. There is zero reason for him to publish what he does to everyone. In fact you could consider his profitability code to be proprietary and no company is going to release proprietary data for free. He provides a service that he is paid for and we are not paying him for his source code, simply his ability to generate profit for our equipment. It's very unreasonable to expect someone to go and spend a lot of time creating something and then give it away for nothing. When you purchase commercial off the shelf software, you are purchasing a license for use, not a license for the release of the source code. I feel that this is a similar situation.
OPTiK

Activity: 122

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 06:37:42 PM

I honestly don't think poolwaffle should be asked to show everything behind the scenes to miners. There is zero reason for him to publish what he does to everyone. In fact you could consider his profitability code to be proprietary and no company is going to release proprietary data for free. He provides a service that he is paid for and we are not paying him for his source code, simply his ability to generate profit for our equipment. It's very unreasonable to expect someone to go and spend a lot of time creating something and then give it away for nothing. When you purchase commercial off the shelf software, you are purchasing a license for use, not a license for the release of the source code. I feel that this is a similar situation.

Agreed. I've tried all the different multipools out there and I always come back to WP. Not only is the profitability great, but my payouts line up with what I expect which can't be said for many other multipools.
atomicchaos

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 11:33:31 PM

Add another +1. Wafflepool is probably the only pool that I've mined on that I actually feel I can trust. Whether correct or not, that trust is not something I give to many different places in this realm. Sadly, I've taken a break from this pool until multi-algo is established here, but I know that when it is, Wafflepool will implement it better than anyone else. I am very impressed by his skills, and I see no reason for him to give any advantage by showing his hand. I appreciate how much he does communicate on what goes wrong (or right), as that is what builds trust. Most pool owners aren't as up front.

BTC:113mFe2e3oRkZQ5GeqKhoHbGtVw16unnw2
nosurrender

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 09:04:17 AM

Quick question: profitability X13 has spiked skyhigh recently. Don´t want to rain on anyones parade, but is this just a lucky streak or is the pool mining on a fork?
nosurrender

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 09:31:42 AM
Last edit: July 16, 2014, 09:54:06 AM by nosurrender

PW added another hidden coin that is skyrocketing profits Smiley  Would not be getting converted and payouts on this coin if it was forked, so enjoy while it lasts Smiley

Lesser conversion rate than estimated is fine, but renting additional rigs for the ride would have been a pitty on a fork.
Thanks Smiley
duboisi

Activity: 202

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 10:26:16 AM

Sign of X13 hidden has forked, could any find a profitable X13 coin worth around 0.00015000 btc?
Similar pattern when were mining forked Judge earlier.
utahjohn

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 10:53:12 AM

Sign of X13 hidden has forked, could any find a profitable X13 coin worth around 0.00015000 btc?
Similar pattern when were mining forked Judge earlier.
I've been trying to identify new coin too ... but if it is forked, they are still getting exchanged and paid to earnings so exchange would be on fork too ...
Pages: « 1 ... 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 [265] 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 »
  Print  

Jump to: