Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:14:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Real Time Charting, Order Book, and Time & Sales  (Read 85479 times)
phorensic

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 03:21:20 PM

Seems like for the last couple of days I can't go more than an hour without a connection error and the retry fails.  Yesterday it was so bad it would never grab the initial connection (when I first load the page) all day.  My other charting sites seems to have a solid connection to the Gox API.  Can anyone confirm this issue?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cedus

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 11:29:51 PM

Seems like for the last couple of days I can't go more than an hour without a connection error and the retry fails.  Yesterday it was so bad it would never grab the initial connection (when I first load the page) all day.  My other charting sites seems to have a solid connection to the Gox API.  Can anyone confirm this issue?
Same issues with me. It seems whenever the price changes rapidly more than 1 or 2% (ie. at the most crucial moment when you'd really like to have it working) the stream dies immediately.
abracadabra

Activity: 956
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 11:37:46 PM

just wanted to say thanks for the great site!
Clark (OP)

Activity: 548
Merit: 502

So much code.

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 05:28:20 AM

I have added the sounds to the site for the following events:

• Trade Up
  • Trade Down
  • Connect to Mt.Gox feed
  • Disconnect

Sound may be enabled in the Controls (disabled by default), and there is a select box to filter sound notifications by trade volume (7 orders of magnitude).

The trade colors also changed on the Time & Sales. Now, there are no more white trades. Only red or green based upon whether the trade happened at the Bid or Ask.

The settings cookie also saves the chart period and zoom settings as well as the selected platform currency.

EnergyVampire

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 06:26:03 AM

Hello Clark,

The sound works fine for me on Opera but I can't get it to work on FireFox.

kentrolla

Activity: 1540
Merit: 564

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 10:30:11 AM

Hello Clark,

yea, the sounds don't work for me either. firefox is the only browser i have

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
Clark (OP)

So much code.

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 02:28:38 PM

Well it turns out that Firefox can't play mp3 and can't decode 24-bit wav files. So I've added .ogg sound files and reduced the bit depth on the wav files to 16-bit. So there should be pretty good cross-browser compatibility.

Now if we could only solve the Mt.Gox stream dying problem...

ErebusBat

Activity: 560

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 04:11:21 PM

Well it turns out that Firefox can't play mp3 and can't decode 24-bit wav files. So I've added .ogg sound files and reduced the bit depth on the wav files to 16-bit. So there should be pretty good cross-browser compatibility.

Now if we could only solve the Mt.Gox stream dying problem...
It's dead jim?

The MtGox chart appears to load fine; however no sales are appearing.  Bitfloor works great, but not a single sale from MtGox this morning.

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
Clark (OP)

So much code.

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 04:15:23 PM

The MtGox chart appears to load fine; however no sales are appearing.  Bitfloor works great, but not a single sale from MtGox this morning.

The chart is loaded from data on my server (obtained through the polled API). The real time stuff is a direct connection from the user's browser to MtGox's socket.io server -- the one that resets every so often, or goes down completely like this morning.

Bitfloor's feed is directly with that server, so it is independent of MtGox issues.

ErebusBat

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 04:22:46 PM

The real time stuff is a direct connection from the user's browser to MtGox's socket.io server -- the one that resets every so often, or goes down completely like this morning.
Usually when it goes down though there is a connection error.  This morning it was showing as connected, just no data.

Not complaining mind, just bringing it up (surprise it is gox  Roll Eyes)

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
toffoo

Activity: 408
Merit: 261

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 04:38:05 PM

I love the idea (I'm sure my wife will hate it) but no sound coming out for me on Safari 6/Mac.

toffoo

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 04:52:47 PM

Also, forgot that I've been meaning to ask, does your site fall-back to the websocket feed or http polling when the socketio.js feed goes down?

As we all know, MtGox's new socketio.js feed seems to go down at least a few times every day (often for hours at a time).  I've checked recently and the old websockets feed usually stays up even when socketio.js goes down.

The console log of your site seems to indicate that it's trying to fall back to the websocket feed or http polling, but of course this doesn't seem to work.

Any way you can get this fall-back working until MtGox gets their socketio.js feed permanently sorted out?

ErebusBat

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 04:54:53 PM

Also, forgot that I've been meaning to ask, does your site fall-back to the websocket feed or http polling when the socketio.js feed goes down?

As we all know, MtGox's new socketio.js feed seems to go down at least a few times every day (often for hours at a time).  I've checked recently and the old websockets feed usually stays up even when socketio.js goes down.

The console log of your site seems to indicate that it's trying to fall back to the websocket feed or http polling, but of course this doesn't seem to work.

Any way you can get this fall-back working until MtGox gets their socketio.js feed permanently sorted out?
Or maybe even a reconnect button that will force page-load reconnection?  Currently I just do a page reload which hits your server again.

Clark (OP)

So much code.

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 06:10:22 PM

no sound coming out for me on Safari 6/Mac.

Checking out Safari on Windows, it looks like the method I'm using to embed the audio is not supported. I will look into this further.

By the way, Google Chrome is always supported.

The only fallbacks are through socket.io itself, which is designed to fall back to xhr-polling, etc. But of course, this assumes that the server implements these fallback methods, which MtGox has not (at least not reliably). Please pester MtGox to implement correct fall back methods so that you can continue to use your favorite real time data site  Smiley

The client is unable to poll for the data without going through my server, since MtGox has not enabled either JSONP or Cross-Origin permissions on the polled API. Polling the order book is ~300k per shot, and each client would need to do so every 10 seconds (caching period of MtGox API). Delivering that bandwidth over my server does not seem attractive to me at this time.

This has been a big problem for months, and I am going to need to provide a more robust solution. But since the site is free, it's still a bargain for most users  Wink

Or maybe even a reconnect button that will force page-load reconnection?  Currently I just do a page reload which hits your server again.

Earlier today, when the feed came back online, the site was just sitting there inert and suddenly the feed came back. So I think that if the feed works at all, it will connect automatically, except when you see the red Connection Error message. I think that one means that it's not going to work.

...but a reconnect button might have a nice placebo effect for the impatient user and provide a great alternative to reloading the whole page.

Clark (OP)

So much code.

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 12:44:26 AM

Checking out Safari on Windows, it looks like the method I'm using to embed the audio is not supported. I will look into this further.

Actually, it works on Windows 7, Safari 5.1.7. Any Mac-specific debug messages would be very helpful...

phorensic

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 12:50:44 AM

Earlier today, when the feed came back online, the site was just sitting there inert and suddenly the feed came back. So I think that if the feed works at all, it will connect automatically, except when you see the red Connection Error message. I think that one means that it's not going to work.

...but a reconnect button might have a nice placebo effect for the impatient user and provide a great alternative to reloading the whole page.
I think a reconnect button is a great idea.  I would say 1 out of 20 times the connection retry actually works.  The other 19 times I am reloading the whole page.  The problem with that is that I lose the history of Time & Sales, I have to change back to my preferred Period time, and then scroll the page down again to get maximum real estate for the depth chart.  If you could make a button that seamlessly tries a reconnect and just shows informational messages in the Console it would be great.  Meaning it would not blank out the Time & Sales, reload the depth chart, or do anything visually major really besides the Console messages...if that's possible.  Thanks Clark, love the site, no pressure to make this happen I just love to see this project improve all the time.
kentrolla

Activity: 1540
Merit: 564

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 12:53:22 PM

awesome. i love the sounds. I do get disconnected a lot though Sad   . 

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
phorensic

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 08:19:06 PM

Alright! Noticed my Period setting is persistent across full refreshes now.  Thanks!
toffoo

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 02:49:09 AM

Actually, it works on Windows 7, Safari 5.1.7. Any Mac-specific debug messages would be very helpful...

Hmm, that's weird.  I'm seeing no debug messages anywhere, just not getting any sound.

What method are you using to do the sound, HTML5 audio, Flash/Shockwave, or something else?

Apparently Safari's HTML5 audio support was somewhat broken before but supposedly it's now working in Safari 6.

ErebusBat

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 01:17:30 PM

Hmm, that's weird.  I'm seeing no debug messages anywhere, just not getting any sound.

What method are you using to do the sound, HTML5 audio, Flash/Shockwave, or something else?

Apparently Safari's HTML5 audio support was somewhat broken before but supposedly it's now working in Safari 6.
My guess is that it doesn't like the audio format.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »
  Print  

Jump to: