Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 12:50:58 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 ... 268 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][AUR] Auroracoin - a cryptocurrency for Iceland  (Read 506375 times)
mek300

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 08:59:42 AM

stupid question...

but why doesn't iceland adopt bitcoin?  What makes this coin different?

People. The creator is from Iceland, I think.
Nite69

Activity: 477
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:13:59 AM

stupid question...

They all dont have bitcoins. They will have AuroraCoins.

Sync: ShiSKnx4W6zrp69YEFQyWk5TkpnfKLA8wx
Bitcoin: 17gNvfoD2FDqTfESUxNEmTukGbGVAiJhXp
Litecoin: LhbDew4s9wbV8xeNkrdFcLK5u78APSGLrR
AuroraCoin: AXVoGgYtSVkPv96JLL7CiwcyVvPxXHXRK9
Lloydie

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:18:12 AM

stupid question...

Most Icelandic people don't know about bitcoin.  They also don't know auroracoin but right now, each auroracoin is worth $35 and every Icelander will get 31.8 AUR absolutely free, which equates to US $1,113.

Who would say no to a free $1,113?  So, as they claim the AUR coins, Icelanders will learn about cryptos, how to claim it, store it, sell it and use it in trade.  It's a really clever strategy to increase crypto adoption.

AUR has the potential to surpass bitcoin because if it is adopted in Iceland, we could see the entire economic cycle functioning using auroracoins. That would be something amazing indeed.  

I just hope the dev doesn't mess up the airdrop.  They might want to do it in batches - something like allowing claims for people with odd year births and then even year births on the next day.
theironman

Activity: 288
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:19:42 AM

Spectacular rise in here:

http://coinmarketcap.com/
Aboroth

Activity: 60

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:29:31 AM

stupid question...

but why doesn't iceland adopt bitcoin?  What makes this coin different?
Most Icelandic people don't know about bitcoin.  They also don't know auroracoin but right now, each auroracoin is worth $35 and every Icelander will get 31.8 AUR absolutely free, which equates to US $1,113.

Who would say no to a free $1,113?  So, as they claim the AUR coins, Icelanders will learn about cryptos, how to claim it, store it, sell it and use it in trade.  It's a really clever strategy to increase crypto adoption.

AUR has the potential to surpass bitcoin because if it is adopted in Iceland, we could see the entire economic cycle functioning using auroracoins. That would be something amazing indeed.  

I just hope the dev doesn't mess up the airdrop.  They might want to do it in batches - something like allowing claims for people with odd year births and then even year births on the next day.

Maybe the first few would sell and get about $1,113. Then everyone else would sell and the supply would inflate to the point that everyone gets the equivalent of a free gumball.

The only thing that would slow down the selling pressure is that most people wouldn't know what exactly they have or how to sell it.
flipstyle

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:29:56 AM

I have a number of questions.

Do we have any sign of cooperation from the government of Iceland to help distribute this coin?
Is this database of every citizen of Iceland that is needed to distribute Auroracoin accessible without the permission of the government of Iceland?
If access to this database cannot be obtained, how will the coins be distributed fairly?
Even if access is obtained, how does someone prove their identity?
How do you prevent one person from claiming coins for multiple people?
Will the "airdrop" be online?
Once the "airdrop" commences, what will prevent a non-Icelandic citizen from claiming coins? IP-address checking? Could a non-citizen log in via proxy in Iceland, guess an ID number of a citizen, and claim coins, thus locking that citizen out of their claim?

The website makes vague claims about using a database to distribute the coins, but no specifics. Is there a real plan in place, or are we just hoping it all works out and everyone is honest? There is a unique number for every citizen of the USA and a database linking them (social security), but the government doesn't let everyone have access to it.

I have serious doubts about how this could be distributed fairly without the cooperation of the government, which to my knowledge, hasn't even acknowledged the existence of this coin.

Quit asking legitimate questions.

You ever see how the U.S. delivers food to impoverished tribes in Africa?

OP is simply going to hand-drop sd cards onto iceland citizen's homes via a helicopter.  One by one until he finishes in 2030.
CryptoAddict

Activity: 115

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:32:55 AM

Do we have any sign of cooperation from the government of Iceland to help distribute this coin?
Is this database of every citizen of Iceland that is needed to distribute Auroracoin accessible without the permission of the government of Iceland?
If access to this database cannot be obtained, how will the coins be distributed fairly?
Once the "airdrop" commences, what will prevent a non-Icelandic citizen from claiming coins? IP-address checking? Could a non-citizen log in via proxy in Iceland, guess an ID number of a citizen, and claim coins, thus locking that citizen out of their claim?

The website makes vague claims about using a database to distribute the coins, but no specifics. Is there a real plan in place, or are we just hoping it all works out and everyone is honest? There is a unique number for every citizen of the USA and a database linking them (social security), but the government doesn't let everyone have access to it.

I have serious doubts about how this could be distributed fairly without the cooperation of the government, which to my knowledge, hasn't even acknowledged the existence of this coin.

+1
klatnioctib0

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:35:49 AM

OP is simply going to hand-drop sd cards onto iceland citizen's homes via a helicopter.  One by one until he finishes in 2030.

You make some good points and most have been raised already even before this cypto was worth a snot (review thread) however since there are 16GHs+ on the network and a value of .07 BTC this is really now just about how high we can go. The blueprint is set to be updated per developers language on the site however sounds like a mighty feat from a guy that hacked up LTC daemon. If we want this coin to succeed we need to rally as a community and create a push for this coin unlike the crypto world has ever seen. Take to social media, your local news outlets, discuss with friends, family outside crypto world, robo call icelanders..
The dev cannot do this alone, he needs support and the success of this will bring all of us success. We need to start asking what we can do to help this coin succeed, the plan is ambitious but it needs a path to success.
Lloydie

Activity: 140

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:39:22 AM

stupid question...

Maybe the first few would sell and get about $1,113. Then everyone else would sell and the supply would inflate to the point that everyone gets the equivalent of a free gumball.

The only thing that would slow down the selling pressure is that most people wouldn't know what exactly they have or how to sell it.

Well, some people will sell and some will buy.  The ones that buy will probably be buying life changing inter generational wealth.  

The logistics of selling will be challenging for most people and most critically will force them to understand how to use a wallet, check their transaction on the blockchain and the concept of private keys.

Most people won't sell everything "just in case" it goes up further.  Most people will sell maybe 10% to 50% of the AUR coins, whilst others will probably accumulate.  A fair number will try to buy things with Auroracoin from local merchants.

The important thing to understand is that the value of each AUR is not really that important (other than the fact that everyone gets a free $1,000 to start with). The whole point of the exercise is to educate people about cryptocurrency, how it works and to overcome apathy.  

This exercise will be good for Iceland and for Bitcoin itself.  People will realise that cryptos are like cash and can be transferred without governmental interference.
Nite69

Activity: 477

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:45:55 AM

Well, where do you live? Don't you have government smart card ID's? Don't you have Mobile certificates? Don't you have banking account on the network? They are all quite common ways to identify citizens here in Finland, and I 'v heard it is a lot more widespread in Iceland. If not yet, 1000$ reward for getting one certainly increases the usage of them.

http://www.mobiilivarmenne.fi/en/faq/

Edit: well, if Iceland is getting a 400M$ boost on their economy, I wouldn't be surpriced, if their government actually helps.

Sync: ShiSKnx4W6zrp69YEFQyWk5TkpnfKLA8wx
Bitcoin: 17gNvfoD2FDqTfESUxNEmTukGbGVAiJhXp
Litecoin: LhbDew4s9wbV8xeNkrdFcLK5u78APSGLrR
AuroraCoin: AXVoGgYtSVkPv96JLL7CiwcyVvPxXHXRK9
CryptoStark

Activity: 33

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:51:54 AM

Aurora Coin and Einsteinium Coin are the only 2 coins that really have my attention right now.

Everyone else is release a clonecoin, meanwhile, these 2 coins are building toward something significantly impactful.
Barthy

Activity: 39

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 09:59:21 AM

Please add Cryptoworld EU Pool to the list: https://cryptoworld.eu/aur/eng/index

Its rly fast growing Pool located in EU! Supreme ping and stable!
CryptoMF

Activity: 70

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 10:22:21 AM

stupid question...

I am pretty sure the creator is from somewhere in Central America (Costa Rica I believe). They just used a pseudonym that sounded Icelandic. Hope that eases your concerns over the validity of this coin. Of course maybe I am wrong.

Seriously folks what do you think is going to happen when 10 million free coins hit the marketplace? Unless there is something done to restrict the amount of coins that each person is allowed to convert over a specific period of time the whole system is going to crash hard and fast. No one in their right mind would buy the coins as they would be instantly worthless. Until then have some fun mining, trading and speculating.

Too bad as I think this is a great idea. Not sure if this will end up being good or bad for crypto-world. Should be fun to watch at least. Get out your popcorn.

Oh by the way the true market cap of this coin is around 2 million atm. You can't count coins that are not in circulation in the market cap totals.
Aboroth

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 10:24:11 AM

Well, where do you live? Don't you have government smart card ID's? Don't you have Mobile certificates? Don't you have banking account on the network? They are all quite common ways to identify citizens here in Finland, and I 'v heard it is a lot more widespread in Iceland. If not yet, 1000$ reward for getting one certainly increases the usage of them.

http://www.mobiilivarmenne.fi/en/faq/

Edit: well, if Iceland is getting a 400M$ boost on their economy, I wouldn't be surpriced, if their government actually helps.

So, you don't know what the plan is either, you just have snarky comments? There has to be a real plan in place, not just some vague "Oh this seems feasible because I feel in my heart of hearts that it should work."

And if you want this currency to be anything but a toy of speculators and young men who have poor grasp of economic theory, then you NEED these questions answered.
dspair

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 10:29:35 AM

50% premine = devs own 10 500 000 coins
Current supply is 10 600 000 coins, that means only 100k coins has been mined.
Again, devs own 10 500 000 out of 10 600 000 coins, month after release.

Who the hell buys these coins? Has the world gone mad? You also expect them to distribute the coins to everyone in Iceland? EVERYONE in the whole country? This joke of a coin is not even backed by the government.

I think this is the biggest altcoin scam, second would be wolong's Pandacoin.
Aboroth

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 10:32:29 AM

50% premine = devs own 10 500 000 coins
Current supply is 10 600 000 coins, that means only 100k coins has been mined.
Again, devs own 10 500 000 out of 10 600 000 coins, month after release.

Who the hell buys these coins? Has the world gone mad? You also expect them to distribute the coins to everyone in Iceland? EVERYONE in the whole country? This joke of a coin is not even backed by the government.

Don't worry, there's a plan! We have no idea what the details are, but we've got wishes and hopes and dreams, and that's better than any logic or reason! Either that or we're all so heavily invested in it that we will shoot down or ignore any legitimate questions about it, because we don't want to jeopardize our profits before we cash out!
Hellionator

Activity: 154

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 10:34:50 AM

Upgrading http://aur.scrypthp.com after next block to keep up with traffic increase.  Once we hit the next block we'll be adding additional CPUs, there will be 10 minutes of downtime and a stratrum restart which may require miners to restart their miners.  We'll be having 0% fee for 24 hours after the maintenance as thanks and then returning to our normal 1% fee after that.  Thanks to all our miners!  http://aur.scrypthp.com

→→MPOS POOLS ON SUPERFAST SECURE SERVERS!←←
Aboroth

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 10:41:38 AM
Last edit: March 03, 2014, 10:52:00 AM by Aboroth

stupid question...

I am pretty sure the creator is from somewhere in Central America (Costa Rica I believe). They just used a pseudonym that sounded Icelandic. Hope that eases your concerns over the validity of this coin. Of course maybe I am wrong.

Seriously folks what do you think is going to happen when 10 million free coins hit the marketplace? Unless there is something done to restrict the amount of coins that each person is allowed to convert over a specific period of time the whole system is going to crash hard and fast. No one in their right mind would buy the coins as they would be instantly worthless. Until then have some fun mining, trading and speculating.

Too bad as I think this is a great idea. Not sure if this will end up being good or bad for crypto-world. Should be fun to watch at least. Get out your popcorn.

Oh by the way the true market cap of this coin is around 2 million atm. You can't count coins that are not in circulation in the market cap totals.

If the dev isn't even from Iceland, then it doesn't surprise me that he just mentions "a database of citizens", instead of detailing any actual kind of authentication method. How would he know how to authenticate Icelandic citizens? Has he been to Iceland? Does he have friends or family or other contacts there?

To everyone holding this coin, I hope I'm not costing you too much money by preventing fools from buying your coins from you.

Don't worry, though, I'm done. I raised my questions and I legitimately want them answered.

I'll just wait until the airdrop starts, then claim coins for my Icelandic grandmothers, all 1000 of them.
SpiryGolden

Activity: 812

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 10:54:42 AM

This is pure B.S Angry a premine has more value then a fair coin with hardworking developers volunteering without any payment . And these scammers just put up a coin and become billionaires . I don't like were this industry it's going ! Are you people gone crazy invest in this pure bs ? Instead of helping real world problems are coin that are there too HELP people , not making the rich already rich . Now i really wish crypto reglementation because it's unreal how many sh*t coins appear over night and have success without even a real development . Seriously ?  Huh I tough this industry is about Non nobis solum, Sed omnibus = Not for us, but for everyone !
mek300

Activity: 93

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 11:00:07 AM

He is from Iceland.  Read this:

http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/01/as-auroracoin-airdrop-approaches-what-does-it-mean-when-a-nation-adopts-a-cryptocurrency/
Pages: « 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 ... 268 »
  Print  

Jump to: