Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:04:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Well, I just got scammed  (Read 2993 times)
whofeelsitknowsit (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 07:10:25 PM

I wanted to participate in the Iagon pre-sale.  I joined what I thought was the official Iagon telegram.  Turned out it wasn't.  I followed the instructions on the pinned message, which directed me to send ETH to a specified wallet address.  Turned out it was all a scam, and I lost 5 ETH. 

Really sucks.  The lesson is be careful out there.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄ ■        SKYNET        ■ ▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▐▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     PRIVATE SALE is LIVE     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▌
Whitepaper   Bounty   Bitcointalk  ■  Facebook   Twitter   Telegram

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
butka

Activity: 434
Merit: 246

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 07:19:08 PM

Oh, man sorry to hear that. These scammers are getting ever more creative. Was it a phishing scam? I mean, was the page they sent you to the exact replica of the legit Iagon page? And how did you end up visiting the wrong twitter page in the first place? Was it via google, other social networks, advertisement, or any other way? This info could be helpful to the other forum member to avoid the same mistake. You can never be too careful these days.
GrandBcn

Activity: 275
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 08:27:11 PM

Did you follow the link from the official site and ended up in a fraudulent chat?
I'm very sorry for your loss. This is not a small amount in fact. Sad

Another kind of fraud in telegram chats.
A scammer with the same avatar as the administrator writes you a personal message. Well, he goes on to tell tales and tries to take your money.
vodkal

Activity: 109
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2018, 08:30:00 PM

Oh very sorry to hear that man, indeed its a pretty big amount. Please guys be careful on links you visiting and telegrams you ever join. Dont ever answer to anyone messaging you asking for payment or whatever demand... Scammers are getting more and more creative nowadays.
whofeelsitknowsit (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 08:32:12 PM

I searched for Iagon in telegram, and the fake telegram group is what came up (not the official one).  It had 350+ members and seemed legit, so I thought it was the real one -- real logo, and the admin had the name and picture of the company's CEO (who is in fact active on the official telegram). 

The pinned message had instructions on how to participate and I was also pm'ing with who I thought was the CEO. 

I should have been more vigilant.

siagh357

Activity: 143

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 08:37:06 PM

This is reckless on your part, how can you invest in a company with huge amount of 5 Ether , amounting to about 2500 USD without any due diligence. You should have asked questions, on the telegram group, visit the website and contact them from there. Even the announcement thread can offer you more info.
Encelad

Merit: 106

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 08:43:16 PM

I'm very sorry for your loss, lately there are a lot of scammers. Please double-check all references several times, or work directly with project managers via telegram.
whofeelsitknowsit (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 08:47:19 PM

This is reckless on your part, how can you invest in a company with huge amount of 5 Ether , amounting to about 2500 USD without any due diligence. You should have asked questions, on the telegram group, visit the website and contact them from there. Even the announcement thread can offer you more info.

Thanks, I now know that.  I had done due diligence on the company and the investment.  I should have been more careful with telegram.  I'm posting this more as a PSA than anything else.  I wouldn't have made the investment if I wasn't prepared to lose it -- I just didn't expect to lose it so quickly.

Hovarda

Activity: 518
Merit: 185

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 08:51:04 PM

I wanted to participate in the Iagon pre-sale.  I joined what I thought was the official Iagon telegram.  Turned out it wasn't.  I followed the instructions on the pinned message, which directed me to send ETH to a specified wallet address.  Turned out it was all a scam, and I lost 5 ETH. 

It's sad. This kind of fraud has increased a lot. You need to be very careful. These fraudulent events cause great damage to the market. You can compensate for loss of hope in another way.
gantez

Activity: 1736
Merit: 121

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 08:53:31 PM

I join the good people here to say sorry for the loss. That is quite some etheruem and when converted to dollars is like $2,000 buzz. We need to be more careful..
abitgelluh

Activity: 174

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 09:01:16 PM

I am very concerned about what you have experienced right now, if you want to invest on ico I suggest to follow the instructions on the website and do not buy coins through any channels because it is just trying to deceive you, I hope this will be an experience for you and will not happen again
anxioushoarder

Activity: 75

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 09:02:46 PM

Oh, crap, that is a lot of money. I am sorry you got fooled, it is very easy to confuse the group. Normally they will not ask you to send ether just like that but...
crypto_futurer

Activity: 134

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 09:05:41 PM

And why did you send money to someone on the details that were specified in the Telegram chat? Usually all the requisites and instructions are written on the official website of the project.
Guildenstern89

Activity: 280
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 09:06:05 PM

Comrades, don't you have any suspicions when you are asked to transfer money? Is it serious? Is it really that bad? It's time to stop doing this nonsense.
stefany101

Activity: 616
Merit: 103

A Blockchain Mobile Operator With Token Rewards

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 09:06:19 PM

Well, it feel so sad to imagine that you got been scammed by other people out there. It will serve as a lesson for you to secure your funds out of using cryptocurrencies and avoid signing in your information in some pishing exchanges sites. Be aware and be careful always. Wink

M!R△CLE TELE     BRINGING MAGIC TO THE TELECOM INDUSTRY     JOIN US NOW!
▐▐   40% Biweekly Rewards     ▬▬▬   Calls at €0.2   ▬▬▬     Traffic from €0.01 worldwide   ▌▌
▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  Lightpaper  Bounty  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram   ▬▬▬▬▬▬
Brunus

Activity: 585
Merit: 33

Rasputin Party Mansion

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 09:11:30 PM

Cryptoworld is a real jungle.
Before to send money somewhere, check, check, and recheck anything: at any corner there is a scammer.
Sorry for you, bro.

●  ROC2  ●   We have successfully delivered STAGE 1   ● ━━━━━━━━━━ ━━━━━━━ ━━━━ ━━ ━
━ ━━ ━━━━ ━━━━━━  We now invite you to become part of PHASE2 expansion In Partnership With REDTUBE
● Telegram    ● Twitter    ● Facebook    ● Medium    [  ICO is L I V E !  ]   ━━━━━━ ━━━━ ━━ ━
Onah

Activity: 73

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 09:14:37 PM

That does suck. Sorry for the loss. I know people who lost 20-30 BTC for the peep coin too. It was like 3 days ago. Crypto world is definitely not a game for new comers. Read more, learn more
usm1000

Activity: 191

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 09:20:56 PM

very pity once you bro, thank you for your lesson I will be more careful in following the project hopefully eth you back again bro 5eth it pretty much, it must be very sad once Sad
just_Alice

Activity: 1274
Merit: 622

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 09:32:12 PM

Sorry to hear that, yes, you have to be careful when it comes to transferring money. Unfortunately, with the increase of ICOs popularity more and more scams are emerging. A lot of people lost money during TON ICO, for instance (old news, but still): https://www.coindesk.com/fake-website-scam-targets-aspiring-telegram-ico-investors/
So where did you find that link anyway? Did the official Iagon give you the wrong link, or you just found it somewhere else?
keeee

Activity: 574
Merit: 267

" Coindragon.com 30% Cash Back "

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 09:47:40 PM

It was a huge amount , I think it was not easy to forget it. In fact I already get scammed before during that time I dont know what to do to recover it. They also said to send some amount then when I already made the tansaction they didnt reply anymore. We all learn from our past experiences and others experience to be careful always.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: