R9 270 4~6 - 47 (2.8%)
R9 270 6+ - 93 (5.6%)
R9 280X 1~3 - 254 (15.3%)
R9 280X 4~6 - 255 (15.4%)
R9 280X 6+ - 268 (16.2%)
R9 290 1~3 - 150 (9.1%)
R9 290 3~6 - 91 (5.5%)
R9 290 6+ - 298 (18%)
OTHER (please specify in the thread) - 75 (4.5%)
NONE (Mining only) - 35 (2.1%)
Total Voters: 1656

Pages: « 1 ... 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 [191] 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 ... 440 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [GPUC] GPU Coin | Mandatory Wallet Update  (Read 421199 times)
Nthused
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 08:43:01 AM

A GPU Should be Scrypt none of this Scrypt-N Crap !
Nthused
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 08:52:18 AM

A GPU Should be Scrypt none of this Scrypt-N Crap !

Adapt to new trends or be left behind, friend. It's not really that big of a challenge to use vertminer. It's the same exact process only you get lower hash and on a lot of cards lower configs actually work better compared to Scrypt. It is inherently isolated from Scrypt multipools, because their miners aren't running the right software. This ensures an equitable launch and not one massive source gathering vast sums purely to dump and crash the price. The cards also run cooler due to their lower power usage. Figure it out, it's only going to become more and more common.

I hear what you are saying about adapting....Friend.....But would you really risk ruining your GPU's Ram causing it to be FUBAR'd just for a few coins....
noext

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 09:01:46 AM

so i can mine this coin for free and buy gpu with this coin later ?  Huh
sonysasankan

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2014, 09:04:52 AM

Dude, don't get hung up on this being a currency.  The courts uphold barter agreements all the time.

sure... barter agreements for goods or services with an intrisic value. A sack of apples for a bag of Oranges, etc. Crypto currencies come under the realm of Unicorn horns and pixie farts. A dispute simply cannot be resolved by legal means... a private escrow service agreed by both parties is the  only way of going about it.... either that or trust.

Pinkcoin Donations Address ---> PINK: PB9TmJXZTqzLroz9cLzCQe2cNWzEwJeq5g | BTC: 14Yxxxxko19qtLi3k2yvtWQ54vSQg2mLjB <---
Rent Mining rigs for cheap
jollyriffic

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 09:13:24 AM

what people aren't understanding about -N is you'll make coins slower, using more electricity.
For this coin to be worth the effort they will need to raise drastically in price to be worth mining.

for that simple fact, i'm pulling out as an IPO unless they change that. I signed up as IPO because it was script. wouldn't have ever gave any btc otherwise!
with scrypt i can make two times the profit and by a card quicker than i could with any coin that's -N

UVC: Uc4hCM76fL8iQWgDJE34QA6hrnp2rGTq43    
EMC2: EKwkYKT6LE79ywhKhQtgqkbzcDhzRoB5kP   LTC: LZ7ffsTS93pR5cSZ9KMQMVunkEHRtPrZn9   
pastet89

Activity: 378
Merit: 265

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2014, 09:16:12 AM

Someone mentioned that scrypt-n can destroy GPU. Is that true?

Caused my system to blue screen yesterday on the failed launch. Never had it with any other coins like panda. Keccak is by far the best algorithm you could use. Else people have to pump and dump just to pay their power bills

but whats the difference with Keccak ?  cant this be mined by those ASICs ?

Nope.
It CAN.

Cryptostats.es
grbox2001

Activity: 119

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 09:18:50 AM

what people aren't understanding about -N is you'll make coins slower, using more electricity.
For this coin to be worth the effort they will need to raise drastically in price to be worth mining.

for that simple fact, i'm pulling out as an IPO unless they change that. I signed up as IPO because it was script. wouldn't have ever gave any btc otherwise!
with scrypt i can make two times the profit and by a card quicker than i could with any coin that's -N

Supply and demand. If this coin is harder for everyone to mine than it will cause the price to be higher as a result. Look at alt coins that have a cap in billions. Then look at coins that have a cap of millions. What do you notice?
pastet89

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2014, 09:19:11 AM

Dark coin uses keccak along side other similar algorithms
Is that Asic resistant. if it is i would suggest we use that.
Listen, people. NOTHING is ASIC resiatant in the long term. When LTC was created, using a scrypt algo, it was meant to be ASIC resistant. However, technologies go further with high speeds and 2-3 years later we do have ASICs for scrypt.
Understand that whatever algo to be used, soon or later the asics for it will come out. One may take longer, but soon or late, ASICs (or even new type of hardware) will be created for anything. Yes, these algos are a short term solution. However, in the long term this is an everlasting war with two parties.

Cryptostats.es
micryon

Activity: 154

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2014, 09:24:34 AM

This is all true.. however.. you have to keep in mind that this *is* GPUcoin.. for people who want to use GPUs..

ASICs will be released for scrypt.. and although they won't be huge orders of magnitude better vs. what we saw with bitcoins, I have no doubt they will, over time be better at perf/watt and price vs GPUs for mining scrypt.  Staying with scrypt will mean that GPUs will eventually become obsolete in this race for mining , as long as this whole thing keeps going to develop it.... i gaurantee it..

Nfactor schedule: while it is absolutely true wastes more electricity, and silicon area.. but it keeps this a GPU mined coin.  The overarching assumption here is that we that follow this thread and mine it , *want* to use GPUs to mine this coin..

Now that point is a larger debate, which I think is really outside the context of GPUcoin itself... and i'm sure we can rathole on that topic endlessly... Smiley

VTC: Vi5NxyF6FPCCEQDrsDcA34P8pXe1Yck21y
PDR: PP3EQsV3oX9bBkjpsnESguMHz3tfMqHXhy PlanetDollar
jollyriffic

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 09:27:36 AM

Supply and demand. If this coin is harder for everyone to mine than it will cause the price to be higher as a result. Look at alt coins that have a cap in billions. Then look at coins that have a cap of millions. What do you notice?

you not aware that doge is actually more profitable to mine than litecoin?
that one coin alone has proven that amount of coins doesn't matter, its the majority that makes it valuable and using -n will tank this coin.
if any changes are to be made, it should be the IPO holders that have the say, not some stupid 2hr poll on a forum with a 10000000 to 1 troll ratio.
I've got personal investment, why should some random person get to vote when they likely aren't even going to mine it?
the general consensus with the IPO holders was "we dont want -n"

EMC2: EKwkYKT6LE79ywhKhQtgqkbzcDhzRoB5kP   LTC: LZ7ffsTS93pR5cSZ9KMQMVunkEHRtPrZn9   
pastet89

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2014, 09:31:40 AM

Finally an official update... Project is not a scam and the dev decided to go further with micryon and cryptowest. Wish them good luck and let's hope for finally a successful launch of this project!

Cryptostats.es
grbox2001

Activity: 119

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 09:34:23 AM

I am aware of the differences in profitability for mining. I am talking price per coin (this is more for IPO investors)

Dogecoin 100 billion coins. Price per coin = ~ 160 Satoshis
Litecoin     84 million coins. Price per coin = ~ 0.024BTC
micryon

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2014, 09:35:49 AM

Listen, people. NOTHING is ASIC resiatant in the long term. When LTC was created, using a scrypt algo, it was meant to be ASIC resistant. However, technologies go further with high speeds and 2-3 years later we do have ASICs for scrypt.
Understand that whatever algo to be used, soon or later the asics for it will come out. One may take longer, but soon or late, ASICs (or even new type of hardware) will be created for anything. Yes, these algos are a short term solution. However, in the long term this is an everlasting war with two parties.

Ultimately if there's a market for it.. ASICs will be superior in whatever app they intend to service... That's what their names imply... Application Specific .. integrated circuits....

However, the idea here is to make it not worth their while to design, develop and fabricate the ASIC.. asic development isn't like writing software where you get 13 guys, and sell a company to FB for a billion.. it takes real capital to fund R&D, buy wafers and fabricate.. lot of risk.. risk wafers, imperfections.. then debug, ECOs and respins... it's a big upfront capital investment.

The nfactor code isn't just a set algorithm.. well it is, and it isn't... it changes 1 parameter on a scheduled basis by posix time to be "adaptive"... okay its pretty lame adaption change just 1 parameter... but hey it does increase the memory b/w dramatically.. 1024 -> 2048.. and on power of 2s... which *might* make it infeasible for ASICs to continually tape out to adjust for it..  and if ASICs should choose to also become adaptive.. well.. they just become generalized processors anyhow, which would yield little to no advantage against GPUs, since they are no longer really application specific... if you support 100+ applications.. well then you're a application processor..

Sure... if at some point nfactor=X has a 100B market cap due to coins.. and its just worth people's time and energy to keep developing and releasing asics that do just that... then yeah, this premise does fall apart..  But the lead time and development time is long for integrated circuits.  Idea here is to not make it worth their while... It may fail.. but in my estimation it ultimately it all depends on where crypto market cap in total are going...

Thinking about this.. there's probably room for a more innovative solution to this which not only changes nfactor.. but changes the algorithm based on blockHeight... to align with the direction of where GPU/CPU computing is going.. like for blockHeight > 10000 or something.. swtiches to prime sieving.. (primecoin)... predicting in that time GPUs would catch CPUs in that race in a few years.. and leave ASICs far behind... but anyways who knows, the future is the future.. anything like this is hard to predict.  If you could you would be making millions speculating the semiconductor market Smiley

glockjs

Activity: 43

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 09:37:57 AM

truth is asics can do anything they are programmed to do. out of all the "resistant" algo's I do prefer keccak and so does the lifetime of my gpu's :/
jollyriffic

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 09:42:43 AM

This is all true.. however.. you have to keep in mind that this *is* GPUcoin.. for people who want to use GPUs..

ASICs will be released for scrypt.. and although they won't be huge orders of magnitude better vs. what we saw with bitcoins, I have no doubt they will, over time be better at perf/watt and price vs GPUs for mining scrypt.  Staying with scrypt will mean that GPUs will eventually become obsolete in this race for mining , as long as this whole thing keeps going to develop it.... i gaurantee it..

Nfactor schedule: while it is absolutely true wastes more electricity, and silicon area.. but it keeps this a GPU mined coin.  The overarching assumption here is that we that follow this thread and mine it , *want* to use GPUs to mine this coin..

Now that point is a larger debate, which I think is really outside the context of GPUcoin itself... and i'm sure we can rathole on that topic endlessly... Smiley

-n isn't going to make this coin exclusive to gpu, its just a short delay. they are already in production. you can contact any asic manufacture from alibaba.com and tell them "i want a miner designed to mine -n exclusively" throw them money and bam, you've got your -n. just takes one person with a paypal account.
timeframe on -n miners can simply be bumped up by throwing in clauses for deadlines and the sooner they get it to you the more reward the designer/manufacture will get. throw enough cash at the problem and you'll have your device by the end of the month. this is personal experience from using alibaba.

since the devs are fighting so hard for -n i'll gladly take back my ipo. no sense in debating this topic anymore.
you've officially killed this coin, congratulations!

armaan56

Activity: 560

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 09:45:45 AM

Received my IPO email a couple hours ago and must say that you have alleviated some of my frustration if not all. As I read I really liked what you were saying and completely bought me back into the coin

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
«««« CoiNuŧ.com  The Only BTCitcoin Options Exchange  »Secure« »Fast« »Fair« »Minimum trade 0.01 BTC«»»»»
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

micryon

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2014, 09:48:28 AM

-n isn't going to make this coin exclusive to gpu, its just a short delay. they are already in production. you can contact any asic manufacture from alibaba.com and tell them "i want a miner designed to mine -n exclusively"

since the devs are fighting so hard for -n i'll gladly take back my ipo. no sense in debating this topic anymore.
you've officially killed this coin, congratulations!

N = 2048, i think ASICs have a shot.. but as N increases.. I think ASICs will have a hard time staying on top of GPUs, as long as there is still a market for GPUs (and mobile SOCs don't overtake everything...).  GPU development is state of the art right now: Memory controllers, FB sizes, latest nM processes.. the engineering capabilities at a lot of these startup ASIC companies in alibaba will be l.o.l.  

Maybe one day the coin asic market will be bigger than the GPU market.. and hence they will have the engineering brains, process-capabilities (25nm go!) , wafers at TSMC.. that GPU companies have a monopoly over in semi-conductor industry.  

But given that today, the estimated market for this is ASIC coin market is $100M... and the estimated market for GPUs is at least $10B... i just doubt they will be able to keep up if algo difficulty rises.  

But .. hey who knows..

Anonymousg64

Activity: 392

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 09:49:36 AM

Ultimately if there's a market for it.. ASICs will be superior in whatever app they intend to service... That's what their names imply... Application Specific .. integrated circuits....

However, the idea here is to make it not worth their while to design, develop and fabricate the ASIC.. asic development isn't like writing software where you get 13 guys, and sell a company to FB for a billion.. it takes real capital to fund R&D, buy wafers and fabricate.. lot of risk.. risk wafers, imperfections.. then debug, ECOs and respins... it's a big upfront capital investment.

The nfactor code isn't just a set algorithm.. well it is, and it isn't... it changes 1 parameter on a scheduled basis by posix time to be "adaptive"... okay its pretty lame adaption change just 1 parameter... but hey it does increase the memory b/w dramatically.. 1024 -> 2048.. and on power of 2s... which *might* make it infeasible for ASICs to continually tape out to adjust for it..  and if ASICs should choose to also become adaptive.. well.. they just become generalized processors anyhow, which would yield little to no advantage against GPUs, since they are no longer really application specific... if you support 100+ applications.. well then you're a application processor..

Sure... if at some point nfactor=X has a 100B market cap due to coins.. and its just worth people's time and energy to keep developing and releasing asics that do just that... then yeah, this premise does fall apart..  But the lead time and development time is long for integrated circuits.  Idea here is to not make it worth their while... It may fail.. but in my estimation it ultimately it all depends on where crypto market cap in total are going...

Thinking about this.. there's probably room for a more innovative solution to this which not only changes nfactor.. but changes the algorithm based on blockHeight... to align with the direction of where GPU/CPU computing is going.. like for blockHeight > 10000 or something.. swtiches to prime sieving.. (primecoin)... predicting in that time GPUs would catch CPUs in that race in a few years.. and leave ASICs far behind... but anyways who knows, the future is the future.. anything like this is hard to predict.  If you could you would be making millions speculating the semiconductor market Smiley

this is going to be proven wrong real soon, professional diy chip fab is coming
once i get my manufacturing capabilities online, its actually a project i plan on tackling.
also gpu are stuck to their gaming purpose, an asic can be designed to be adaptive proof with more memory then you would ever find on a gpu, heck you could build an asic that can also interface with pcie and make a hybrid. if your coin doesn't make it to the asic point, its never gona be worth much.
micryon

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2014, 09:52:50 AM

this is going to be proven wrong real soon, professional diy chip fab is coming

We shall see about that.  maybe some day i can start printing 25nm chips in my home... but then by that time we'd probably be using quantum tech.. Smiley

also gpu are stuck to their gaming purpose,

I think you're assuming that the 2 GPU companies aren't watching or don't care about this market...

Motjida

Activity: 9

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 09:53:11 AM

It doesn't matter if the algorithm is Scrypt or N-Scrypt, it's the same conditions for everyone. The block timer is still 60 seconds and the coin reward is still 20,000.
Let's say you have a GPU rig that amounts to 10% of the total hash rate for the coin. Regardless of algorithm, you would generate, on average, 2,000 coins every 60 seconds.
Pages: « 1 ... 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 [191] 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 ... 440 »
  Print  

Jump to: