Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:12:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 [274] 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 ... 413 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XMY] Myriad | Multi-Algo, Fair, Secure  (Read 849665 times)
hrbt
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 08:48:35 AM

keep on good work guys i'm mining MYR half a year now and i didn't sell 1 myr  i'm holding all and supporting the community Smiley

Myr is the leetest and will be the biggest coin ever with all plans that will be integrated into MYR

Regards

Community & DEV Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
neurorit

Activity: 184
Merit: 10

Qidex Exchange

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 11:17:15 AM

You ever hear of botnets? a zombie network of compromised computers would mine the majority of the coins leaving your average person getting almost nil. 

Here’s a Radical [Not So Novel] Idea (please don’t laugh)

Would you be interested hearing an idea that could take MYR ballistic and worldwide (in the truest sense of the word)? Well, sit back and read on if you answered yes.

This is an idea that could really cause MYR to go 'viral'. Can you imagine people from all over the world automatically mining MYR on startup of their PC? What could possibly get millions of people all over the world (including the underdeveloped world) doing that?

Let’s step back for some background and start out by remembering and taking into account some of my logical anti-ASIC arguments (I haven’t been too bad with my predictions in recent months either) and then move forward going one step further by looking at the opposite end of the spectrum.

Just like at one end of the spectrum we have an ever more concentrated and centralized network in combination with price under serious pressure, at the other end we also have an authentic widely distributed network with a stable and generally rising price, and if hardware specialization leads to the first, then, the opposite, namely, hardware generalization, should logically lead to the second.

Economies of scale are generally a good thing when referring to competitive markets; the only problem exists when those markets become concentrated (centralized) in a few hands, and then economies of scale can work against the common good. We need look no further than the fiat banking system to see what eventually happens.

One of the most important ideas at the heart of the crypto ethic was the idea that decentralization was key for creating a viable 'alternative' storage of wealth that could compete with the traditional fiat system.

Have we by some chance become sidetracked with our obsessions for short term profit? What with, hey, we’ve even got a website dedicated to this extreme distraction. What’s the name? Oh, yeah, here it is, Crypto Pump of course (how could it be named anything else?). http://cryptopump.com Was this what we all had in mind when starting out with cryptocurrencies?

Decentralization is all about making something as available as possible to as many people as possible. Are we really going in the right direction to accomplish that by favoring specialized and centralized economies of scale? Okay, a large market cap would be great for PR, but how long lived would it be if it’s not built on a real foundation. Selling out to short term specialization and centralization is nothing more than assured short term gain in exchange for long term pain.

So, if centralized specialization leads to ruin, then generalization, or decentralization as it were, should lead to system health and vitality – exactly what is desired for a solid and authentic vehicle for storage of wealth. And just what do I mean by “generalization”? I’m referring to making something as “generally” available as possible, and not just in words, but in real deeds as well. It’s one thing to say that even CPUs can mine, and it’s quite another altogether to say (and make real) that they can do so competitively (and we all know that the little guy can only be competitive in a “little guy world” where the rules are fair and designed to protect the little guy, and not one where major competitors are swallowing up what little guys are still left).

Have you guessed where I’m going with this?

CPU mining that is just as profitable as GPU mining, and also with ASIC?

Had you guessed?

Yes, CPU on par with ASIC!

If you do that, if you make MYR the cryptocurrency that everyone who owns a computer could competitively mine (seriously now, everyone), you’d have millions of users all over the world configuring their MYR wallets to launch on system startup!

Okay, there are some details to work out, like having a launch on boot setting in the wallet, and, of course, the automatic mine on launch 'plug and play' coding as well.

The wallet would need pre-configured mining parameters so that the new user could mine with a simple click, either solo, or better yet, with an official MYR worldwide P2P (worldwide really meaning worldwide with scores of active nodes all over the world).

The pre-configured, in wallet, miner would only mine using the CPU, or CPU equivalent that would be limited by a throttling mechanism that either matched the most powerful end-user CPU, or an average of the most common CPUs in active use (meaning that it would be possible to mine with a GPU miner, but never at a hashrate that exceeded the CPU throttling level per address, and never independent or outside of the wallet).

Rewards would look something like this:

Throttled Qubit CPU pre-configured wallet restricted mining = 4000 coins per block
Groestl = 450 coins per block
Skein = 450 coins per block
SHA-256 = 50 coins per block
Scrypt = 50 coins per block

And, with that, you'd put MYR on the world map as the first truly fair cryptocurrency in the world where everyone who owns a computer is looked at funny if their MYR wallet isn’t running 'in the background'.

How’s that for an idea for taking MYR mainstream?

You’re right. This would be even beyond mainstream!

Isn’t that what we really had in mind when getting involved in cryptos? Wink

Now, let all those specialized, short term profitability obsessed, miners tell us why this is a bad idea (and GPU miners as well, for that matter) . . . something which should also tell us a lot.

HR
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1011

Transparency & Integrity

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 11:35:40 AM
Last edit: July 12, 2014, 11:49:00 AM by HR

You ever hear of botnets? a zombie network of compromised computers would mine the majority of the coins leaving your average person getting almost nil.  

Yes I have (and usually in the same off handed manner).

Could you give everyone a quick run down on the theoretical vulnerabilities given my loosely defined specs (one miner per address, wallet restricted, throttled mining), and perhaps also on why such vulnerabilities would be impossible to address?

primer-
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 11:37:01 AM

Yes I have (and usually in the same out of hand manner).

Could you give everyone a quick run down on the theoretical vulnerabilities given my loosely defined specs (one miner per address, wallet restricted, throttled mining), and perhaps also on why such vulnerabilities would be impossible to address?

Shinycoin ( https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=655789.0 )uses an algo that requires 16GB ram. 95% of all botnet zombies run on less that 4GB RAM...
apesconcert

Activity: 83

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 11:49:36 AM

For those who do not believe in MYR - I witnessed Blackcoin dropping to less than MYR's current market-cap amount and then shoot up to its current value. BC has no true innovative feature, while MYR has BTC's holy grail - a fully-working anti-51%-attack mechanism with fresh algorithms and a more dedicated Dev team behind it. If you're into MYR for a quick profit, look elsewhere. The feature I'm looking forward to the most is MYR's new merged-mining system - however, when advertising MYR with friends and acquaintances, focus on the 51% aspect. Forget SMS wallets and all that crap - those are things which any coin can have. Multi-algo isn't, unless it's a post-MYR copy which people will identify as such immediately.
neurorit

Qidex Exchange

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 11:53:35 AM

I wouldn't say it's not impossible to address. Nothing is impossible. But so far, other than perhaps the coin primer linked to, coins that are easily cpu mined get raped by botnets literally dumping coins until there's no value left.

Yes I have (and usually in the same off handed manner).

HR
Legendary

Transparency & Integrity

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 11:55:44 AM

I wouldn't say it's not impossible to address. Nothing is impossible. But so far, other than perhaps the coin primer linked to, coins that are easily cpu mined get raped by botnets literally dumping coins until there's no value left.

But, is it to be implied that a bot would download and install the wallet and then configure it to automatically start without the end user being aware??? Would this really be botnet vulnerable to begin with?

neurorit

Qidex Exchange

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 12:44:10 PM

I'm not an expert but I imagine the botnet operator would have one wallet and use the botnet basically as a mining pool.

But, is it to be implied that a bot would download and install the wallet and then configure it to automatically start without the end user being aware??? Would this really be botnet vulnerable to begin with?

HR
Legendary

Transparency & Integrity

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 02:36:03 PM

I'm not an expert but I imagine the botnet operator would have one wallet and use the botnet basically as a mining pool.

That's my understanding as well, and while it would still be possible, it wouldn't make sense since that one wallet would have the same throttling threshold as every wallet, meaning that the botnet operator's total hashrate could never exceed that threshold either - as for the coins potentially mined, they would number the same as what would be mined with his/her own computer.

One wallet, one address, and your CPU (or the throttling threshold in the case of someone who wants to try and pipe more through, like with a GPU for example - keep in mind that older graphic cards may actually be slightly more efficient than an older CPU, and not hit the throttling threshold, or barely exceed it).

neurorit

Qidex Exchange

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 02:55:19 PM

Interesting concept! Hopefully we hear from some others about how this would work in theory. This actually reminds me a lil of Vitalik Buterin suggestion for Bitcoin, making it so cpus can mine directly from the wallet to thwart centralization. I don't know if he meant adding a new algo or changing sha to something else. Either way we know that's never going to happen with bitcoin.

neurorit

Qidex Exchange

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 02:57:33 PM

I'm not a coder but I'm having a hard time imagining how you'd make it so the throttling would only be applied to one of the algorithms. 

That's my understanding as well, and while it would still be possible, it wouldn't make sense since that one wallet would have the same throttling threshold as every wallet, meaning that the botnet operator's total hashrate could never exceed that threshold either - as for the coins potentially mined, they would number the same as what would be mined with his/her own computer.

One wallet, one address, and your CPU (or the throttling threshold in the case of someone who wants to try and pipe more through, like with a GPU for example - keep in mind that older graphic cards may actually be slightly more efficient than an older CPU, and not hit the throttling threshold, or barely exceed it).

HR
Legendary

Transparency & Integrity

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 03:12:31 PM
Last edit: July 12, 2014, 03:30:56 PM by HR

I'm not a coder but I'm having a hard time imagining how you'd make it so the throttling would only be applied to one of the algorithms.  

I'm not a "coder" either, but I do have basic IT knowledge having worked with hardware, system and network administration, and web design/creation/administration for over 20 years (and I'm slowly learning C++ since that is the bedrock that everything is built on and will continue to be built on . . . so, someday, I might be able to at least tell you what's under the hood.  Cheesy ).

In-so-far as this idea goes, the basic idea would be to do everything you possibly can with the wallet - the wallet would control the throttling of the hashrate input. Theoretically, you could throw TH/s at it, but it would simply ignore everything over the threshold and only report/submit everything up to that limit. Everything else would simply be ignored, or thrown away as it were. The other algos would mine unrestrictedly. You would essentially leave current functions in place, and add a new, restricted mining function for Qubit (along with its sub-functions).

The only change I would envision for the coin itself would be the reward amounts. Everything else would be done with the wallet.

Add: you might have to put some sort of dynamic checksum into the coin code to protect against wallet hacking . . .

neurorit

Qidex Exchange

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 03:24:23 PM

What would stop a botnet operator from making his own wallet implementation that bypassed said throttles? I feel like this would have to be apart of the coin itself.

HR
Legendary

Transparency & Integrity

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 03:38:44 PM

What would stop a botnet operator from making his own wallet implementation that bypassed said throttles? I feel like this would have to be apart of the coin itself.

You're probably right. Wallet hacking would be a huge vulnerability, but I don't know enough about the technical aspects to be able to intelligently comment on this. Hopefully we'll hear from others with more specific knowledge on the subject.

But the general idea would be to do as much as possible with the wallet, and only the absolutely necessary with the coin.

killermonkeys

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 04:18:54 PM

You're probably right. Wallet hacking would be a huge vulnerability, but I don't know enough about the technical aspects to be able to intelligently comment on this. Hopefully we'll hear from others with more specific knowledge on the subject.

But the general idea would be to do as much as possible with the wallet, and only the absolutely necessary with the coin.

unfortunately botnet ops wouldn't even need to hack the wallet with this idea.  They'd just have to create a payload that deployed a headless version of the wallet, created an address, started mining, and then use the api to send the funds back home.  It would take a tiny bit of scripting.

also, if it had some kind of ram requirement (like 16gb) it would only work with 64bit systems, with enough memory.  Not a solution for everyone...

I like your spirit though:)

neurorit

Qidex Exchange

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 04:22:22 PM

Do you check out the reddit much? There's a project underway you'd probably be interested in. It's basically a wallet with a built in p2p miner that mines directly to the wallet. Supposed to auto-config, etc, so you just open the wallet and click mine.

HR
Legendary

Transparency & Integrity

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 04:48:03 PM

Do you check out the reddit much? There's a project underway you'd probably be interested in. It's basically a wallet with a built in p2p miner that mines directly to the wallet. Supposed to auto-config, etc, so you just open the wallet and click mine.

Read it more and more everyday. I'll check that out. Sounds very interesting, and very 'parallel'. Wink  Thanks.

Have you got a link?

neurorit

Qidex Exchange

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 04:51:44 PM

here's the original post http://www.reddit.com/r/myriadcoin/comments/26re6w/new_project_for_a_bored_coder_noobminer_for_mac/

foodies123

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 05:53:53 PM

a variance of that project is being done.

nope
spankyminer

Merit: 100

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 07:34:58 PM

yesterday my solo 1th sha-256 pulled 23k myr.

Welp.

Guess I gotta stop mining with my 3x5850 and myriadswitcher @ ~1,5-2k myr per day.

But t-thanks for the info... I didnt knew that asic produced THAT much more myr  Cry
Pages: « 1 ... 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 [274] 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 ... 413 »
  Print  

Jump to: