Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:26:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »
  Print  
Author Topic: HODL is not advisable!  (Read 4381 times)
Hell-raiser

Activity: 462
Merit: 515

View Profile
September 09, 2018, 09:14:30 AM

Well, I am not against speculation but honestly believe that we should give first preference to use Bitcoin or any other cryptocurrency as a payment system instead of looking at it as a speculation instrument in the first place. As of now, I am holding 50% of the funds and spending rest 50% funds as I believe that the movement is a growth. The early adopters spent their funds as a payment instrument and then only cryptocurrencies gained value. Now, it is our responsibility to do the same as our contribution to the growth of this innovation & industry.

If wishes were horses, beggars might right. As I'm inclined to think, many of us would be happy to use crypto as a means of payment (though probably not Bitcoin), but there is no real benefit in that, only expenses. For example, you can order a Bitcoin payment card, so you can kinda pay with crypto for your everyday needs. So far so good. But the fees you will have to pay as well exchange rates make this whole idea not very attractive overall. It would be nice if sellers and merchants accepted crypto directly, but they are few and far in between. Nowadays, you can pay directly with crypto only to people like us who are genuinely interested in cryptocurrencies. But one swallow does not make a summer.

Exactly! We don't have the crypto friendly market environment as of now in most of the cities around the world. However, the situation is gradually changing and I believe that we will see a better picture within next 5 to 10 years where we will be able to use Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies without converting into any other currency. Technically, it doesn't make any sense even if I am using crypto enabled debit card because, at the end of the day, nothing extraordinary is going to happen other than just the conversion of crypto to fiat.

And we won't have such an environment unless and until the prices exchange rates become stable, and not stable as we understand it given the insane volatility of the crypto market but rather as the rest of the world sees it. In practice, it means that Bitcoin, Litecoin, whatever, should be more stable that the majority of fiat currencies which are now circulating inside the world economy. And they should be so stable long enough for merchants to start trusting them as a valid means of payment. I don't think it is ever possible, at least not until most coins have flown into the real economy.

This is an apparent chicken-and-egg problem in itself. Merchants won't accept crypto due to its high volatility but this volatility won't go away until merchants start to accept crypto. And it doesn't look like this paradox is going to be resolved soon.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Rexxxem

Activity: 368
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 09, 2018, 09:31:46 AM

Yea, totally. You can lose a lot of opportunities by holding a bag that can went 2-3-5x and go back in price. If you share some vids that helped you that would be nice btw
lavara

Activity: 532
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2018, 10:18:27 AM

Here, many have a situation that they are forced to HODL - coins were bought at a high price and now the price has fallen very much. There is nothing to wait for the return of the price, otherwise there will be a big loss. Many people are waiting for the return of prices to the previous level - at least bitcoin up to $ 10,000. Perhaps this will happen soon - maybe not this year, it's hard to say. In occasion of reception HODL-a true decision in some cases-but is more correct when means in a turn.

btc_angela

Activity: 2590
Merit: 542

View Profile
September 09, 2018, 10:43:21 AM

Right now users who are in need of money there is no more holding. It is always advised to exchange to the requirement, as the price keeps falling. This time each and every expertise predictions were outlawed, leading to a massive blow of the market. Who has the ability to hold longer time period HODL is good.

At present buying is more favorable as market has slump so you can easily buy 1 btc in 6200$ where till last couple of days back it was at 7.2k and above. So you are getting a discount of 1000$ straight way on just 1 btc. So start buying at this fall.

Or you don't need to buy 1 full BTC if you don't have the needed funds at the moment. What you can do is buy in small portions and that's it. You wouldn't even noticed that you have already save 1 BTC and then hold. I wouldn't say that HODL is not advisable because people with no trading experience will agree that this is the best method, no risk, just mentally strong to hodl during panic crash of the market.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
acener

Activity: 1274
Merit: 115

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
September 09, 2018, 01:08:22 PM

In my very own experienced there is no good outcome when you HODL too much.
First of all do you know what HODL means?
HODL is used when referring to hold the cryptocurrency rather than selling it.
Holding cryptocurrency is no good because it means you don’t have a knowledge about trading, for me, you can do scalping trading and increase your holding by it and gain profit.
I suggest that all in the Crypto community must learn the basic trading fundamentals. There are free tutorials anywhere. Don’t be lazy, think big.

It depends on the situation of the market. We should know when to buy and when to sell depending on the market flow. If the market situation is in dip or red, holding is advisable. When the market is in green and all the prices are good, it is better to sell and buy when the prices are low.

fcklife

Activity: 284
Merit: 10

The Exchange for EOS Community

View Profile
September 09, 2018, 01:16:48 PM

In my very own experienced there is no good outcome when you HODL too much.
First of all do you know what HODL means?
HODL is used when referring to hold the cryptocurrency rather than selling it.
Holding cryptocurrency is no good because it means you don’t have a knowledge about trading, for me, you can do scalping trading and increase your holding by it and gain profit.
I suggest that all in the Crypto community must learn the basic trading fundamentals. There are free tutorials anywhere. Don’t be lazy, think big.

if you dont know how to enter and exit on a market, just follow the simpliest rule. buy low and sell high this includes hodling and waiting for your coin to go up. hodling is like patience its a virtue.

▐|   EOS Exchange   |▌          The Exchange for the EOS Community!          ▐|   EOSex   |▌
                    ICO: 15th October to 20th November  |  Free EXP Tokens: Join Bounty!                    
Whitepaper               ANN Thread               Telegram               Twitter               Mobile
MUG1WARA

Activity: 1008
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 09, 2018, 01:43:18 PM

everyone has their own beliefs and choices, so we can't sense situations and choices because whatever, if they play to sell at a low price then that is their decision, and I see many people who can't hold patiently and that is wrong decision

Fantastickarl

Activity: 140
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 09, 2018, 03:44:15 PM

It all depends on the context of what you mean. Holding is good only when you know when to sell and when to hold. Holding without knowing when to sell isn't so cool as well. You must know when to sell and when to hold
masternode

Activity: 443
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 09, 2018, 04:46:30 PM

Right now users who are in need of money there is no more holding. It is always advised to exchange to the requirement, as the price keeps falling. This time each and every expertise predictions were outlawed, leading to a massive blow of the market. Who has the ability to hold longer time period HODL is good.

At present buying is more favorable as market has slump so you can easily buy 1 btc in 6200$ where till last couple of days back it was at 7.2k and above. So you are getting a discount of 1000$ straight way on just 1 btc. So start buying at this fall.

Yes it would be the most logical thing to do, but now people who planned to buy when bitcoin is low fear it might go even lower and they loose more. Buy low sell high is as simple as it gets but the human mind is full of traps that make you blind for the obvious.
JimmieA

Activity: 396
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 09, 2018, 05:06:57 PM

everyone has their own beliefs and choices, so we can't sense situations and choices because whatever, if they play to sell at a low price then that is their decision, and I see many people who can't hold patiently and that is wrong decision
If it's like you say that each person has their own beliefs  and choices  , then creating this forum is not  helpful and the topic is getting  redundant.The advice given to the newbie is very necessary and I think we should encourage it.

▄▄█████████▄▄
     ▄███▀▀       ▀▀███▄
   ▄██▀               ▀██▄
  ██▀ ▄▄             ▄▄ ▀██
 ██▀  ▐██████▄ ▄██████▌  ▀██
██▀    ██  ███ ███  ██    ▀██
██      █▄ ▐██ ██▌ ▄█      ██
██▄      ▀ ▐██ ██▌ ▀      ▄██
 ██▄        ██ ██        ▄██
  ██▄        ███        ▄██
   ▀██▄              ▄██▀
     ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
        ▀▀█████████▀▀
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██                                         
██████████  ▄▄  ██▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ██▄     
██          ██  ████████  ██  ████████  █████████  ████▄   
██          ██  ██        ██     ▄▄██▀  ██   ▄██▀  ██ ▀██▄ 
██          ██  ██        ██  ▄██▀▀     ██▄██▀▀    ██   ▀██▄
██████████  ██  ████████  ██  ████████  █████████  ██     ██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀     ▀▀

Finance

▄█▄    ▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
         ▄█████▄   ▀███████████
 █▄    ▄█████████    ██████████
 ███▄▄█████████▀   ▄██████████▌
 ████████████▀   ▄████████████
▐██████████▀   ▄█████████▀ ▀██
▐█████████▄   █████████▀     ▀
████████████▄  ▀█████▀
███████▀▀▀▀▀     ▀█▀

Bagaji

Activity: 1330
Merit: 291

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2018, 05:36:46 PM

One cannot complete say holding crypto currency is not good because a lot of people has made huge sum of money from holding their coins over a period of time while others must have lost while holding at a wrong time. For me, the time to buy and hold for a period of time is now.
cleberw3b

Activity: 90
Merit: 21

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 03:27:52 PM

One cannot complete say holding crypto currency is not good because a lot of people has made huge sum of money from holding their coins over a period of time while others must have lost while holding at a wrong time. For me, the time to buy and hold for a period of time is now.

Today's price is undervalued as we come close for the previous ATH from late summer.
Omega Weapon

Activity: 1092
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 03:43:18 PM

for those who have little knowledge about crypto currency trading, of course with holding is their final choice, because they still believe in the principle of buying low prices and selling at high prices, and they are greedy to get big profits by continuing to hold their coins
It is the opposite, those that choose to hold their coins are doing it because they understand very clearly that trading your coins can be profitable but the chances of being one of those people that make profits out of this market are very low, so instead of taking the incredibly risky path of trading they choose the safer and more secure path of holding and making profits that way.
Bunsomjelican

Activity: 812
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 03:53:24 PM

for those who have little knowledge about crypto currency trading, of course with holding is their final choice, because they still believe in the principle of buying low prices and selling at high prices, and they are greedy to get big profits by continuing to hold their coins

well, I guess holding is depend I think in the coins we hold. But most of the time Holding coins in a long terms was always good methods for those who have a bit doubt in the coins they hold. Though most coins/altcoins now are undervalued or declined situation. But it still good hold just be patience and time will come for sure we can achieve what we are waiting for isn't right.
atjiat

Activity: 1204
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2018, 07:27:03 PM

Today's price is undervalued as we come close for the previous ATH from late summer.
The fact is that the technology block chain is even very much in demand even today, so the Crypto currency also has good potential in the future. Proceeding from this, it is possible to say with certainty that the crypto-currency market is stabilizing unambiguously.
Edraket31

Activity: 1190
Merit: 511

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 09:07:58 PM

The fact is that the technology block chain is even very much in demand even today, so the Crypto currency also has good potential in the future. Proceeding from this, it is possible to say with certainty that the crypto-currency market is stabilizing unambiguously.

That is right, maybe it is not really advisable for those who are not willing to take risk to hodl their investment, but to a short term or long term investment, as it is not fine to take risk if you are still in doubt or not willing to, and if you will hodl you need to at least wait couple of months for  your investment to grow.

sheenaedago

Activity: 262
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 11:00:47 PM

Partly you're right mate, there's a stabilized situation happening with crypto so if they said it's not good to hodle then why new comers were coming in right now? I didn't have confidence on some ideas given by people here, and all I can say for this situation we should be steady and calm for the asset we have so that we'll be able to survive with current struggles we had.
coinbirds

Activity: 588
Merit: 104

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 11:57:52 PM

HODLing is advisable when you have TOP coins and have no time or knowledge for trading.
In fact holding can be very dangerous on bearish market.
It is better to short your coins  and avoid losing your investment.
BitcoinCommodor

Activity: 504
Merit: 106

View Profile
September 11, 2018, 06:57:04 AM

If money was invested in the long term, then why sell at the time of the fall? The rise in prices of crypto currency always exceeds its fall.
The feeling that the author is new to the crypto currency. And he certainly thinks that now his calls will collapse the market. But it looks so stupid.
This is hilarious from your side. In my opinion, the market can not collapse with a single word. I would say that there is no other way to reduce or escape the loss that can be countered by the fall in the price of the coins you hold. The helps a lot because holding the coins till the market recovers give away more in return than what you might earn if the money had been placed in a bank account.
lienfaye

Activity: 2912
Merit: 629

View Profile
September 11, 2018, 07:15:43 AM

In the bear market you can always trade to accumulate more.  This does not mean you are not holding.  Sell at 20% peak and buy back lower.  Bear market is always a good time to accumulate your favourite coins/tokens.
You're right its a good time to accumulate coins that has potential since majority are in dips. Trading in bear market is risky and requires enough knowledge thus hodling is a good option in times like this.

I've been holding my coins for a year now and since then I made a huge gains through it, for me holding doesnt mean you will only hodl for long period and wont take profit when there's a chance. But for downtrend market like this its better to hodl to avoid losing because its quite risky.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »
  Print  

Jump to: