Bitcoin Forum
July 02, 2024, 10:22:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Something, something, something, technical analysis  (Read 31135 times)
T.Stuart

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 09:49:24 AM

If I've got this right you are in earlier than you were planning a couple of weeks ago am I right?

What was your planned buy-in point a couple of weeks ago compared with the price you actually bought in, if I may ask?

No, not really. Short recap, maybe:

I wrote a long post about the bearish triangle variants on April 25th, see here. That one guided me as far as the time frame was concerned -- convergence scenario #1 was predicted for late May at the latest, and the actual breakout was May 20, so it was pretty accurate. At the time of that post, I was still rather bearish, expecting we'd probably see a breakout to the downside. Maybe that's what you have in mind when you say "earlier than I planned"?

On May 16th I posted about a new observation that, based on MFI (a money flow oscillator), it looked like we had finally found sufficient buying support at the given price level. See the post here. From that point on I was, as I wrote, "cautiously bullish".

By May 20, MFI had continued to develop exactly as I hoped it would, so I didn't hesitate much when the breakout happened. I'm in since about 460, not tempted to sell (yet).

Thanks for the recap. I can't find the post in particular (admit have not looked very hard) but remember you saying that you would not enter until sure of a reversal (and if I remember correctly that was at least in the 500s if not 600s in your opinion at the time) because you were in profit anyway so it didn't really matter.

Just trying to understand people's changing perspectives. The posts you made since (that you mention above) explain...

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
              ▀▀█████▄             ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
                 █████▌          ▄█████▀ ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄         ▄█████▀
                 ▐█████        ▄█████▀     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
                 █████▌      ▄█████▀         ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
              ▄▄█████▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████████▀
████████████████████▀    ▄█████▀     ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▀
███████████████▀▀▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
.◆ ◆ ◆ ONE TOKEN TO MOVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ◆ ◆ ◆.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 09:50:51 AM

Edit 2: Started on Huobi AGAIN. This is all coming from China. Every single time almost. Worrying?

Not really. The entire rally (from $450) started, within <15 min of each other, on stamp and huobi simultaneously, with them taking turns in getting new (relative, of course) volume highs after the breakout. I take that as a reasonably organic start.

What happened afterwards is another matter, but I'm not going to let the old adage that we need fresh fiat guide my trading mechanically. I'd suggest taking profits if and when it becomes apparent that the current rally ran out of steam, not earlier, unless you know with some certainty ahead of time the inflection point. But as always: different trading styles, different recommended actions.

As most always, we are in agreement.

Although we are entering the zone where I am watching for weakness like a hawk. Finex is leveraged at close to 19 million (down to 17.5), and the rates have skyrocketed, meaning, in my opinion, that fiat is getting tapped out there.

How much is sitting in Houbi on the sidelines? How much can secretly get into that exchange. How much is sitting in Stamp and Finex, untouched? These would be great inside information. Smiley  

Can we expect new fiat this week? I am a little skeptical, but hell we are in a full on bull run, so maybe I shouldn't be.
oda.krell (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 09:55:24 AM

Although we are entering the zone where I am watching for weakness like a hawk. Finex is leveraged at close to 19 million, and the rates have skyrocketed, meaning, in my opinion, that fiat is getting tapped out there.

How much is sitting in Houbi on the sidelines? How much can secretly get into that exchange. How much is sitting in Stamp and Finex, untouched? These would be great inside information. :)  

Can we expect new fiat this week? I am a little skeptical, but hell we are in a full on bull run, so maybe I shouldn't be.

Yes, I'm sure I know the feeling... but I realized also that, right now, I can't pick up with certainty whether we're done yet with this rally, so the best I can do is set (mentally) a stop sell that makes sense to me, and wait whether it comes to that, i.e. while I prefer to go "predictive momentum" usually, this time, I'll have to go "full momentum"... cue: never go full momentum.jpg :P

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
windjc
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 09:59:05 AM

Although we are entering the zone where I am watching for weakness like a hawk. Finex is leveraged at close to 19 million, and the rates have skyrocketed, meaning, in my opinion, that fiat is getting tapped out there.

How much is sitting in Houbi on the sidelines? How much can secretly get into that exchange. How much is sitting in Stamp and Finex, untouched? These would be great inside information. Smiley  

Yes, I'm sure I know the feeling... but I realized also that, right now, I can't pick up with certainty whether we're done yet with this rally, so the best I can do is set (mentally) a stop sell that makes sense to me, and wait whether it comes to that, i.e. while I prefer to go "predictive momentum" usually, this time, I'll have to go "full momentum"... cue: never go full momentum.jpg Tongue

Well I'm full BTC. But I closed out my extra leveraged longs for the same reason. If we consolidate under $600 I will leverage up again, because a rally never ends without a large flame out. So a consolidation at these levels would signal a run to $630+ in my books. Then I would really be watching for exhaustion. Rinse, repeat.
MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 10:28:39 AM

Not really. The entire rally (from $450) started, within <15 min of each other, on stamp and huobi simultaneously, with them taking turns in getting new (relative, of course) volume highs after the breakout. I take that as a reasonably organic start.

What happened afterwards is another matter, but I'm not going to let the old adage that we need fresh fiat guide my trading mechanically. I'd suggest taking profits if and when it becomes apparent that the current rally ran out of steam, not earlier, unless you know with some certainty ahead of time the inflection point. But as always: different trading styles, different recommended actions.

Your charts also demonstrate that Huobi kicks off proceedings, each time, and that Bitstamp follows.

With regards to your thoughts on whether the rally was running out of steam, I would say that we seem to have a bit of a closing diagonal formation occurring that might suggest the bullish sentiment being met with exhaustion. Since I only came back in the trade at $571, I am out again now at $584. Far greater probability of the market reversing over my toes than going much further in my favour at this point.

Negative divergence continues to raise it's head on the 4hr and shorter indicators (RSI, CMF) as volume continues to drop with each successive peak. I say we have had the top, or that the final top will be just a few dollars more.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
windjc
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 10:33:56 AM

Your charts also demonstrate that Huobi kicks off proceedings, each time, and that Bitstamp follows.

With regards to your thoughts on whether the rally was running out of steam, I would say that we seem to have a bit of a closing diagonal formation occurring that might suggest the bullish sentiment being met with exhaustion. Since I only came back in the trade at $571, I am out again now at $584. Far greater probability of the market reversing over my toes than going much further in my favour at this point.

Negative divergence continues to raise it's head on the 4hr and shorter indicators (RSI, CMF) as volume continues to drop with each successive peak. I say we have had the top, or that the final top will be just a few dollars more.

Maybe. Or maybe we just rest for a day or two before exploding north again.
JustAnotherSheep

Activity: 239
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 11:05:30 AM
Last edit: May 26, 2014, 11:23:33 AM by JustAnotherSheep

I agree. The rising wedge(s?) in particular does not seem to support the bull run going much farther. Not to mention the fact that daily MACD is at approximately the same level as the peak of the post-bubble bulltrap (379-998), and daily RSI shows we're overbought atm (at least I think so, still a noob to these indicators so someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Also, an interesting fact is that the (initial, at least) wedge closes at $647, which is just a few dollars above SMA200. Coincidence? Huh

Is it a bull? Is it a bear? No, it's just another sheep.
MatTheCat

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 11:33:00 AM

and daily RSI shows we're overbought atm (at least I think so, still a noob to these indicators so someone correct me if I'm wrong).

RSI on 4 hour chart is showing signs of negative divergence.

Bitcoin at $530 - RSI ~ 90
Bitcoin at $545 - RSI ~ 94
Bitcoin at $586 - RSI ~ 87
Bitcoin at $593 - RSI ~ 86

Shorter term (30 mins) chart indicators perhaps show things a little clearer that some kind of correction is likely on the cards, of course, price can still rise quite a bit as these indicators continue to trend lower, before the canary finally chokes, so to say:

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
studio1one

Activity: 1218

BintexFutures

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 11:38:16 AM

I agree. The rising wedge(s?) in particular does not seem to support the bull run going much farther. Not to mention the fact that daily MACD is at approximately the same level as the peak of the post-bubble bulltrap (379-998), and daily RSI shows we're overbought atm (at least I think so, still a noob to these indicators so someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Also, an interesting fact is that the (initial, at least) wedge closes at $647, which is just a few dollars above SMA200. Coincidence? Huh

alternatively, looking at the run as a whole

the rise is diverging, not converging.

BINTEX

Powered by,
MatTheCat

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 11:50:09 AM

and if you want to zoom further out and take the last two highs and the last two lows, we again have a rising converging diagonal:

The TA 101-ist, has to decide what kind of ranges are most useful to him and this requires common sense.

studio1one

Activity: 1218

BintexFutures

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 11:57:20 AM

and if you want to zoom further out and take the last two highs and the last two lows, we again have a converging diagonal:

But the TA 101-ist, has to decide what kind of ranges are most useful to him and this requires common sense.

Agreed,

for me the rising wedges shown in the first pic are each stage of the rise. It rises to the peak-ish, levels out then starts another rise. Each stage definitely runs out of steam, then we level off until the next rise.

For me, looking at the current rise as a whole, from where it started at around 450 there is no wedge forming at all, in fact the opposite. Volume is rising each rise on Huobi, and around stagnant on stamp.

Also 3 day moving average is about to cross for the first time since Feb.

Firm bull still here.

As this is being led by Huobi I don't see the current run running out of steam at all just yet.

BINTEX