Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 08:40:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GridSeed 5-chip USB miner voltage mod  (Read 156979 times)
Eldoen

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 02:46:11 AM

Santor I dont quite get the syntax on the settings for freq

--freq=850 --gc3355-freq=/dev/ttyACM0:900

Why is freq 850 used then 900

Thanks

--freq=850 is the setting the clock speed for all the Gridseeds.
--gc3355-freq=/dev/ttyACM0:900 is setting the clock speed for a specific Gridseed. If you have multiple, you can set them like so: =/dev/ttyACM0:900,/dev/ttyACM1:850,/dev/ttyACM2:950

You can use either. I don't know what'll happen if you use both though, presumably the --gc3355-freq is more specific and will override whatever is set on --freq. If this is the case, you can set a default clock speed for all the Gridseeds and override a few that need to be set differently.

And if you want to be more specific, you can set the frequency of a specific GC3355 chip:
Code:
 --gc3355-freq=/dev/ttyACM0:900,/dev/ttyACM0:875:4
-> that will set the frequency of chip 0-3 (0-3 & 5-39 for G-Blade) of the miner @ ttyACM0 to 900, and chip 4 will be set to 875.

SandorII thanks for the hard work on the miner software.  Just updated to the version before this one, and it made a huge difference on Windows.  What the Miner said and what the Pool is reporting are Much closer now. 

Quick question, on Windows the above would be freq=\\.\com3:900,\\.\com3:875:4 ?
and is autotune going to get that specific when it tunes for best freq??

Again thanks..El
amix

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 05:18:55 AM

So far I have done 5 Gridseeds Vmod3 49.9k with some Mx-2 Arctic on top of the chips Now the miners are hashing at 510k and no HW errors, I think i know what was causing cgminer to play... its not the software if you see my temp setup I now have 28 Grids plugged in and they are all over the place cabling up , down , around, power going through, under around them , BIG MESS as  well as power being a bit loose but now good,, everything looks good hashing like machines!!! I also have 5 x 290x Cards hashin I will only have 4 by tomorrow , I will sell my final card from GPU days then build myself a quadfire 290x setup.

Anyways..... I still got quite a fair bit to mod, plus I have 10+ more grids to plug in... I will mod most of mine this weekend if not all that should give me more hashrate to the equivalent of buying an extra blade miner...

I dont know if I am not going to bother with r46 I am actually getting the hang of 139k smd 0402 replacement....

I think i may have wasted my money as I have 16.9kohm smd 0603 better and bigger size will fit nicely on r46 let me know if anyone wants ill let them go for what i bought them and ill post them to your door.

I think i may have modded all mine the original way before they arrive I wish I bought 49.9k 0603 size.... ahh well... I have yet to see someone simply unbridge r46 an chuck a 16.9/17k and freq at 1200 I would like to see local hashrate and see if its 510KH like the 49.9k r139k mod.

Guys there is one annoying thing wit  soldering iron , The solder doesnt stick to the iron, it used to in the beginning but now its like oil & water its like the solder trys to run away from the iron... I have tried damp sponge , even as much as shaving the point abit cleaning off all stuck dirt still no good, I hav used flux STILL no good, only thin g I can think of is "that this solder is shit  "

Any ideas?
Depends on the material type. But, when you first use a new tip, it is recommended to warm it up to full temp, then tin it by letting the resin core solder melt and stick, then shake off the excess and it's ready to go.
IF you can't get this to work for some reason then the tip is either made of some sort of Teflon like material or you're doing something wrong. Wish I could help more.
Good luck!
sounds like the soldering iron is too hot!
What temp are you using or what wattage iron. 30w should be good, temp control do about 230. make sure you have right size tip, too small and itll never transfer the heat evenly so the iron will stick, most people belive the iron not hot enough and get hotter or higher wattage which can burn up the boards/ componets etc.

Yep, that could do it too. Good tip there amex.... I've never had any such problem all these years so......  Grin
sometimes i get a bit lazy and dont change the tip, going up a size and i ALWAYS regret it when i do. Smiley
Hang On Was you in agreement with me??  Grin Grin Grin
What you done with the real wolfey Smiley Smiley
gtraah

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 05:40:14 AM

So far I have done 5 Gridseeds Vmod3 49.9k with some Mx-2 Arctic on top of the chips Now the miners are hashing at 510k and no HW errors, I think i know what was causing cgminer to play... its not the software if you see my temp setup I now have 28 Grids plugged in and they are all over the place cabling up , down , around, power going through, under around them , BIG MESS as  well as power being a bit loose but now good,, everything looks good hashing like machines!!! I also have 5 x 290x Cards hashin I will only have 4 by tomorrow , I will sell my final card from GPU days then build myself a quadfire 290x setup.

Anyways..... I still got quite a fair bit to mod, plus I have 10+ more grids to plug in... I will mod most of mine this weekend if not all that should give me more hashrate to the equivalent of buying an extra blade miner...

I dont know if I am not going to bother with r46 I am actually getting the hang of 139k smd 0402 replacement....

I think i may have wasted my money as I have 16.9kohm smd 0603 better and bigger size will fit nicely on r46 let me know if anyone wants ill let them go for what i bought them and ill post them to your door.

I think i may have modded all mine the original way before they arrive I wish I bought 49.9k 0603 size.... ahh well... I have yet to see someone simply unbridge r46 an chuck a 16.9/17k and freq at 1200 I would like to see local hashrate and see if its 510KH like the 49.9k r139k mod.

Guys there is one annoying thing wit  soldering iron , The solder doesnt stick to the iron, it used to in the beginning but now its like oil & water its like the solder trys to run away from the iron... I have tried damp sponge , even as much as shaving the point abit cleaning off all stuck dirt still no good, I hav used flux STILL no good, only thin g I can think of is "that this solder is shit  "

Any ideas?
Depends on the material type. But, when you first use a new tip, it is recommended to warm it up to full temp, then tin it by letting the resin core solder melt and stick, then shake off the excess and it's ready to go.
IF you can't get this to work for some reason then the tip is either made of some sort of Teflon like material or you're doing something wrong. Wish I could help more.
Good luck!
sounds like the soldering iron is too hot!
What temp are you using or what wattage iron. 30w should be good, temp control do about 230. make sure you have right size tip, too small and itll never transfer the heat evenly so the iron will stick, most people belive the iron not hot enough and get hotter or higher wattage which can burn up the boards/ componets etc.

Yep, that could do it too. Good tip there amex.... I've never had any such problem all these years so......  Grin
sometimes i get a bit lazy and dont change the tip, going up a size and i ALWAYS regret it when i do. Smiley
Hang On Was you in agreement with me??  Grin Grin Grin
What you done with the real wolfey Smiley Smiley

I bought a simple 25w iron,  Nicely thin tip but not too thin, Not temperature comtrol , SImple good iron i was recommended to buy for $20.

I have a feeling its the cheap chinese solder I am using... I am waiting on the good stuff to arrive.

Anyway updates CGMINER going harder than ever I finally figured it out ... It was my very flimsy setup Usb hubs on usb hubs dangling next to each other one bump seems to disconnect the 4 port unpowered hub hanging off the powered hub...

I have tightened the positioning down and its been mining non stop no errors... I also replaced the libusb files with my fully developed GPU SGminer, i noticed the lib files were larger so I thought I wonder if the gridseeds is missing some code... anyway I replaced them not sure if it did anything but everything is good now.

I also did a test to same pool, Normal miner vs Modded miner 510kh vs 361kh  -- So check this out the 361kh started 2.5 hrs before the 510kh so it had much more accepted shares by the time the 510 was online... anyway 13 hrs later the 510kh is 8,000 shares ahead of the 361 Cheesy Now I see the difference with my own eyes.... I was watching in catch up and then saw it tied up now its overpassed it.... WOOO HOOO ... And just to make sure its not just 1 miner fuke, I have 26 NON-Modded miners vs 2 Modded Miners & BOTH are between 7 -9 K ahead in sharers from the strongest Stock miner out of the 26... Cheesy..

Anyway back to my iron problems, I think  i will have to wait for the better solder and keep trying to mod this , I cant beleive I have even modded these with the issue I have, I must be ok ay Tongue
michelem
Legendary

Activity: 1015
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2014, 07:26:56 AM

Hello

I would like to share with you some impressions about Sandor_Cpuminer vs Bfgminer.
This is my setup graph, it's a bunch of Gridseed running from a raspberry:

Pods are still un-modded so original ones by various sellers (but they look like the same inside), as mod they only have the fan attached to 5v external supply. (via usb)

I tried first bfgminer with a frequency of @850 (the best to not get HW in every pods) you can see the red circle, it was not a great hashrate I was expected slightly more and they also had a drop down during the night.

I was very unsatisfied so I gave a try to cpuminer (I never tried it) and I discovered the Sandor's fork with the auto-tune feature and BOOM!
Hashrate went up immediately and thanks to the auto-tune feature it can go slightly more upper the extreme-limit for a limited period, but in general hashrate now is more than I was expected to obtain and it seems to be definitely stable (no drops down).

Also please notice the stale columns, with bfgminer they were a lot while with cpuminer they are almost 0.

So, many compliments to Sandor, he did a really good job.

Now I think the (small) problem is that cpuminer hasn't neither a summary (but I saw Sandor is working on it) neither an RPC to get stats/devs info, and so it's not possible to fork a scripta like web interface to work with cpuminer (sad while it's not indispensable).

I think a bfgminer with the sandor-cpuminer features (like auto-tune and per device/proc overclock) could be the best option possible, but I don't know the work needed to integrate the sandor's work on bfgminer (neither if it's possible).

Anyway thanks for excellent job.

Get Minera. Your next bitcoin mining dashboard. Donations are welcome
gtraah

Activity: 420

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 09:11:22 AM

Hello

I would like to share with you some impressions about Sandor_Cpuminer vs Bfgminer.

Pods are still un-modded so original ones by various sellers (but they look like the same inside), as mod they only have the fan attached to 5v external supply. (via usb)

I tried first bfgminer with a frequency of @850 (the best to not get HW in every pods) you can see the red circle, it was not a great hashrate I was expected slightly more and they also had a drop down during the night.

I was very unsatisfied so I gave a try to cpuminer (I never tried it) and I discovered the Sandor's fork with the auto-tune feature and BOOM!
Hashrate went up immediately and thanks to the auto-tune feature it can go slightly more upper the extreme-limit for a limited period, but in general hashrate now is more than I was expected to obtain and it seems to be definitely stable (no drops down).

Also please notice the stale columns, with bfgminer they were a lot while with cpuminer they are almost 0.

Now I think the (small) problem is that cpuminer hasn't neither a summary (but I saw Sandor is working on it) neither an RPC to get stats/devs info, and so it's not possible to fork a scripta like web interface to work with cpuminer (sad while it's not indispensable).

I think a bfgminer with the sandor-cpuminer features (like auto-tune and per device/proc overclock) could be the best option possible, but I don't know the work needed to integrate the sandor's work on bfgminer (neither if it's possible).

Have you tested Cgminer? If people like the autotune so much maybe get someone to implement it there as it is MUCH easier to use and visually better also.. Better failover system... I have 4 pools on failover backup.. I can leave these miners and never think about them again... If the pool goes down goes to the next and keeps checking automatically if the original pool is back online, if it is it will switch back. My Hash rate in the pool is exactly what I see locally "literally". I did a mistake and thought there was a software issue with the liberror and I did venture of and test some people cgminer forks but dammm one stuffed me up it was only showing half my hashrate as to what was locally showing.. I had to go back to this one and this is when i found out it was never a software isssue always hardware... I also updated the all the libs and I think its rocksolid I may upload it for people who are interested. Has very small step frequency updates all the way to 1400mhz
Xer0

Activity: 826

°^°

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 09:58:13 AM

amix, are you using a permanent tip?
if yes you can kill it with scraping

try a tip “clean&tin“ or “reactivator“
Ranma13

Activity: 17

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 12:39:16 PM

I'm running 20 Gridseeds off a Raspberry Pi and did the 49.9k mod and 5V fan mod to each of them. When I use bfgminer with a clock speed of 1200 MHz, even though the app reports that I'm hashing around 10 MH/s, my pool only reports about 5.5 MH/s.

When I use sandor's cpuminer with autotune on and at 1200 MHz, the results are better. My pool reports 8.5 MH/s, but this isn't quite up to 10 MH/s. I'd expect my hashrate to be in the mid 9 MH/s range; my rejected share percentage is only around 1-3%.

Tomorrow I'm gonna try running two Raspberry Pi's with 10 Gridseeds each to see if the combined speed is higher than running one Raspberry Pi with 20 Gridseeds, but does anybody have any ideas on how I can increase the hashrate to match what I expect? I have 80 Gridseeds in all, and if I'm losing 1.5 MH/s on 20 Gridseeds, that's 6 MH/s across all 80. That's equivalent to buying another 16 unmodified Gridseeds, which is not an insignificant amount.
smracer
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1055
Merit: 1020

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 01:18:20 PM

I'm running 20 Gridseeds off a Raspberry Pi and did the 49.9k mod and 5V fan mod to each of them. When I use bfgminer with a clock speed of 1200 MHz, even though the app reports that I'm hashing around 10 MH/s, my pool only reports about 5.5 MH/s.

When I use sandor's cpuminer with autotune on and at 1200 MHz, the results are better. My pool reports 8.5 MH/s, but this isn't quite up to 10 MH/s. I'd expect my hashrate to be in the mid 9 MH/s range; my rejected share percentage is only around 1-3%.

Tomorrow I'm gonna try running two Raspberry Pi's with 10 Gridseeds each to see if the combined speed is higher than running one Raspberry Pi with 20 Gridseeds, but does anybody have any ideas on how I can increase the hashrate to match what I expect? I have 80 Gridseeds in all, and if I'm losing 1.5 MH/s on 20 Gridseeds, that's 6 MH/s across all 80. That's equivalent to buying another 16 unmodified Gridseeds, which is not an insignificant amount.

Are you getting HW errors?  I was only able to run the Gridseeds at 1200Mhz after I did the 49.9K mod and I put removed the stock thermal pad from the bottom of the board and applied non-conductive diamond thermal compound.  Still not all of them will run at 1200.  I run them at 1175Mhz with no HW errors.
amix

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 02:55:58 PM

not me it was  gtraah. i was just thinking that he scrapped the tip, probably killed it like you say.
jamieb81

Activity: 308

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 03:22:01 PM

Hello

very nice, I've made the same conclusion and the new cpu miner of sandor is just amazing.

So I ran 24 with 5 modified GS's and sandors CPUminer and this is a screenshot of pool side after 24H

Taken with Webpage Screenshot

before I did the same test when the pods arrived ( forgot to take a screenshot sorry ) but results then were barely at 2000kh/s 24h
Reggie0

Activity: 107
Merit: 13

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 07:44:27 PM

There are some thermal image. GS is running at 1200MHz, R52=54.9kOhm, fan@USB5V. Ambient temperature 27 degC.

Top view:

12V DC/DC MosFETs:

12V Inductor:

DC Power connector:

Microcontroller:

Side view of 12V DC/DC MosFETs:

Side view of connectors:
wolfey2014

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2014, 07:53:52 PM

There are some thermal image. GS is running at 1200MHz, R52=54.9kOhm, fan@USB5V. Ambient temperature 27 degC.

Top view:
snip - see above

12V DC/DC MosFETs:
snip - see above

12V Inductor:
snip - see above

DC Power connector:
snip - see above

Microcontroller:
snip - see above

Side view of 12V DC/DC MosFETs:
snip - see above

Side view of connectors:
snip - see above

Hah! Cool! I mean, HOT!  Grin

I Modify Miners Professionally! PM me for details!
Ranma13

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 09:26:27 PM

Are you getting HW errors?  I was only able to run the Gridseeds at 1200Mhz after I did the 49.9K mod and I put removed the stock thermal pad from the bottom of the board and applied non-conductive diamond thermal compound.  Still not all of them will run at 1200.  I run them at 1175Mhz with no HW errors.
Only a few hardware errors. The autotune takes care of optimizing the clock speed.
Xer0

Activity: 826

°^°

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 11:37:00 PM

not me it was  gtraah. i was just thinking that he scrapped the tip, probably killed it like you say.
ah, ok, sry
i cant quote long texts when on mobile
jamieb81

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 01:21:07 AM

for those in the USA, I just cam across a very good price for a groupbuy

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583755.0
chanberg

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 01:23:52 AM

not really a great deal if you ask me...

GAW sells them for $83, right now!

I'm sure once the gen 2 chips come out, these will be DIRT CHEAP

jamieb81

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 01:47:52 AM

Didn't see the GAW prices yet. went to see their website, they are selling for 130 dollars on GAW

http://www.gawminers.com/300-kh-s-single-gridseed-asic-miner/

yes no doubt that prices will fall real quick, I've got some pre orders at Fibonacci. 8.6Mh for 320$ that's going to kill Gridseed prices fast when those come out.

but here in Europe the gridseeds remain expensive it's hard to get one below 120/130 euros!
Jess85

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 01:55:13 AM

Hey Guys Cheesy

I just updated my guide. It now includes:
- ZiG's rVMOD3 (Reversible VMOD3) in simple language and beautiful high resolution pictures.
- G-Blade VMOD1 Information & Pictures

Check it out, let me know what you think Smiley

jamieb81

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 02:10:04 AM

Hey Guys Cheesy

I just updated my guide. It now includes:
- ZiG's rVMOD3 (Reversible VMOD3) in simple language and beautiful high resolution pictures.
- G-Blade VMOD1 Information & Pictures

Check it out, let me know what you think Smiley

nice guide indeed.
ZiG

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 02:20:11 AM

Hey buddy,

Where did you see these Gridseeds for $83 on GAWMiners...?

I have couple beers too...but still couldn't find it... Grin

Cheers,

ZiG
Pages: « 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 »
  Print  

Jump to: