Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 02:30:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they believe that the creator of this topic displays some red flags which make them high-risk. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... 111 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin 100: Developed Specifically for Non-Profits  (Read 262665 times)
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2011, 05:08:13 PM

I've been looking for something to do with my lazy ass self and get some motivatin' since, now that my classes are over, the only things I have to occupy myself with are video games (Sonic Generations), Kendo, Iaido, private pilot lessons, working on my business idea (still meaning to post about it here), planning my England vacation for two weeks from now, getting back to my Japanese language lessons, and maybe catch up on some books I've had sitting on my "to read" shelf for the last two years (don't think I'll have time to get some piano lessons in there, though I wish I could since I was somewhat of prodigy since I was 5, but forgot how to play since I had to stop at 10), and I'd like to think of myself as somewhat diplomatic, so if you point me toward some charities, I can do some contacting.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1128

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2011, 05:18:41 PM

How about water?  Not political.  Not religious.  Nothing is more fundamental to life.  Not too big, not too small.  Celebrity spokesperson.  If Mr. Damon likes the idea then they would probably do it.  http://water.org

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2011, 05:35:54 PM

How about water?  Not political.  Not religious.  Nothing is more fundamental to life.  Not too big, not too small.  Celebrity spokesperson.  If Mr. Damon likes the idea then they would probably do it.  http://water.org

Good place to start as any. See no harm here. If Rassah feels he has what it takes to be a closer, I'm all for it. As I've previously mentioned, the only reason I shouldn't do it is because I may trip over myself during and Q&A period in regards to Bitcoin. One must not only believe in a product or service, but be able to communicate that belief, guaranteeing a higher success rate for closing deals. In due time, I'll be able to do it, but not now, for currently I only have the belief aspect down pat.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2011, 05:45:07 PM

I think we also seriously need to consider setting up a place online to organize this thing better. The forums are a patch at best. Google tools can help with hosting a site, keeping a list of donations and pledges, a list of charities for consideration, and let us vote on the charity, as well as set up a mailing list to send notifications to pledgees. Someone already owns both .com and .org Bitcoin100 domains though.

I am also OK with water. I think our standard operating procedure should be at least five days of comments and voting on a charity, to make sure everyone who cares can voice their vote/opinion, before going forward with contacts.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2011, 07:48:14 PM

I think we also seriously need to consider setting up a place online to organize this thing better. The forums are a patch at best. Google tools can help with hosting a site, keeping a list of donations and pledges, a list of charities for consideration, and let us vote on the charity, as well as set up a mailing list to send notifications to pledgees. Someone already owns both .com and .org Bitcoin100 domains though.

I am also OK with water. I think our standard operating procedure should be at least five days of comments and voting on a charity, to make sure everyone who cares can voice their vote/opinion, before going forward with contacts.

In the works. edd has secured bitcoin100.org for us. Which reminds me: I need to follow up on a PM.
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 10, 2011, 07:51:13 PM

In the works. edd has secured bitcoin100.org for us. Which reminds me: I need to follow up on a PM.

That's excellent news.

Do you have any plans for who will operate the site? I sadly can't offer any useful help for the things needed there but am just curious what all you've had time to think about for the site so far.

Cheers

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2011, 09:32:29 PM
Last edit: December 10, 2011, 10:50:45 PM by paraipan

Hey Bruno can you get us a spokesman ? We need one yesterday so he can start contacting proposed charities on our behalf, by phone or in person. We already seem to have talented email writers around  Cheesy

The best I can do is considering your post, along with this reply, a formal request for a spokesman to step forward or, at the very least, someone here suggesting one. Drafting someone proved futile, i.e., Gavin or Roger, because of the simple fact they're busy folks (plate's full). I don't think we necessarily needed one yesterday, but we strongly need to start hunting one today, therefore we'll be loaded for bear, tomorrow.

got it, i meant today yeah

edit: i've already seen a possible candidate lurking around. You know him and hope you get to meet him in person too.
I'm talking about Harvey (ALPHA, Inmanuel). He seems to truly believe in Bitcoin and defend it no matter what, so he easily turns around any conversation to his favor. Don't know if he really is under 18 but it's not an issue if you ask me.
I think he needs a strong goal to follow and put all that energy into. Bitcoin100 could be it. I'm not aware of any other individual that i could propose and be able to keep up like him.
I would like to hear some opinions from you guys, do you think he could be up to the task ?

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2011, 10:48:15 PM

edit: i've already seen a possible candidate lurking around. You know him and hope you get to meet him in person too.
I'm talking about Harvey (ALPHA, Inmanuel). He seems to truly believe in Bitcoin and defend it no matter what, so he easily turns around any conversation to his favor. Don't know if he really is under 18 but it's not an issue if you ask me.
I think he needs a strong goal to follow and put all that energy into. Bitcoin100 could be it. I'm not aware of any other individual that i could propose and be able to keep up like him.
I would like to hear some opinions from you guys, do you think he could up to the task ?

Good idea, as long as we (I) get to proofread every one of his emails going out.
sadpandatech

View Profile
December 10, 2011, 10:50:32 PM

I would like to hear some opinions from you guys, do you think he could up to the task ?

Good idea, as long as we (I) get to proofread every one of his emails going out.
Not a bad idea either.

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2011, 11:00:50 PM
Last edit: December 11, 2011, 02:34:29 PM by paraipan

Not a bad idea either.

thanks guys, hope i didn't go overboard with this.
In theory our spokesman will be up to date with all the mailings and suggest things like all of us, not making and sending them on our behalf, Rassah. Guess i didn't fully manage to pass the spokesman image i had in mind, that is to represent us in person or over phone talk with any charity representative. He will make good use of it's charisma and follow some guidelines.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 01:17:25 AM

Hello,  I listen to NPR in my car all the time, i have donated to them with cash, would like to be able to donate with btc. Any chance whyy, NPR will take bitcoins?

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
sadpandatech

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 01:36:11 AM

"The Bitcoin100 is nothing more than at least 100 members of this forum pledging 1 BTC ..."
 The conversation you had in replying to some of these made me think of something. I have not read through the entire thread still so I apologize if this idea has been brought up already.
I was thinking, since there are so many people interested in this and you are looking to get a website going and a spokesperson. Why not make it both Bitcoin 100 Donaters and Bitcoin 100 Charities? I'm not trying to suggest titles, though if they make sense that's ok. =)  I am not sure how hard of a goal it would be to find 100 charities, that a majority would be comfortable with. I think setting an ambitous goal for how many charities to approach will make this endeavour that much more appealing as well. My mind is extremely occupied this evening so I hope that makes any sense.

Cheers,
   Derek

- GA

gnar1ta$
Donator

Activity: 798

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 02:45:36 AM

Are we at 100 yet (coins pledged, not members)?  If so, anyone think it may be beneficial to work a deal with Bit-Pay to put something on their charity page like "Add a bitcoin donation button today and receive a 100 bitcoin donation from the Bitcoin100"?  Their site looks very good, and they do provide all the services needed.  It would be a good site to direct potential charities in any communications sent.

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.
freequant

Activity: 770

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 11:11:48 AM

Did somebody say bear?
Bitcoin bubble!? Sell Sell Sell!!!
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2011, 03:10:04 PM

Did somebody say bear?
Bitcoin bubble!? Sell Sell Sell!!!

Before I pen a more serious post, I want to state that your post is 'bull'.  Wink
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2011, 03:21:10 PM

We didn't have an email campaign issue. We were in search of a 'voice' for over-the-phone or an in-person persona to help close the deals when a spokesperson is warranted. That said I, too, thought about Harvey, but refrained from mentioning him for fear of suffering any repercussions. I was surprised to see it mentioned, now more surprised to see it embraced. Hopefully, he's not too busy and will kindly offer up his services.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2011, 03:32:43 PM

We didn't have an email campaign issue. We were in search of a 'voice' for over-the-phone or an in-person persona to help close the deals when a spokesperson is warranted. That said I, too, thought about Harvey, but refrained from mentioning him for fear of suffering any repercussions. I was surprised to see it mentioned, now more surprised to see it embraced. Hopefully, he's not too busy and will kindly offer up his services.

happy to hear all that, hope he chimes in and let us know his opinion  Roll Eyes

Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 03:36:15 PM

I pledge 5 BTC in total, ie. 1 BTC for the next 5 charitable organizations.

Upon request, I will go to that organizations home page, verify that they
have a bitcoin address and then deposit 1 BTC to that address, or in
the event the price should skyrocket (the ekvivalent of todays worth of
1 btc,3.3USD).

However, I have a question:

You should not promise the charitable organization that they will in fact
recieve 100 BTC if they accept bitcoins, you should say that 100 BTC
is pledged.

From working with people and money in several projects, I know that
the larger the group you work with, the harder and longer it takes to
extract funds from them. I guess most people have good intentions,
but when it comes to actually handing over the funds, some people
are incredible slow or non-responsive.

If you want to be able to guarantee a charity a 100 BTC if they start
accepting bitcoin donations, these funds needs to be readily available.

For this to happen, we need to create a system, prefferably a web-
site where you can make an account and deposit coins. I would not
object to the operator taking for instance a 5-10% cut to operate
this.

There's also the issue of trust. Perhaps the best solition would be
for the developer of such a solution to work with one of the established
exchanges, perhaps also some of the exchanges would be willing
to donate a percentage of their net profits to a good cause, say
0.005% of net income. Even if it's small, it would still help.

And trust is paramount, we don't need another mybitcoin scandal,
or news paper headlines like: "Bitcoin Red Cross fraud scandal" etc.

(And before anyone points at me and asks; why don't you make
such a website? Answer: I'm just too busy.)

But for the next 5 donation request, I will promise to donate promptly.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2011, 03:52:23 PM

Bruno,

I'll give you my domain if you still need one. It's bitcoin100.in. I was going to set up a "top 100 bitcoin deals" site with it but decided against the idea. More work than I can handle right now. Let me know.

Thank you kindly, CornedBeefHash, for your offer, but edd kindly registered bitcoin100.org for us which proves to be a perfect fit.

That's excellent news.

Do you have any plans for who will operate the site? I sadly can't offer any useful help for the things needed there but am just curious what all you've had time to think about for the site so far.

Cheers

Tentatively, edd and I, but that's not written in stone. It'll be set up in such a way that others will be able to voice suggestions and opinions.

Hello,  I listen to NPR in my car all the time, i have donated to them with cash, would like to be able to donate with btc. Any chance whyy, NPR will take bitcoins?

I, too, listen to NPR while on the road. Unfortunately, their fund drives are conducted on the local level, not by their parent organization. The other issue with NPR--their political stance. But I think we can use NPR to our mutual advantage, if approached correctly. More on this brainfart, saved for a later date.

"The Bitcoin100 is nothing more than at least 100 members of this forum pledging 1 BTC ..."
 The conversation you had in replying to some of these made me think of something. I have not read through the entire thread still so I apologize if this idea has been brought up already.
I was thinking, since there are so many people interested in this and you are looking to get a website going and a spokesperson. Why not make it both Bitcoin 100 Donaters and Bitcoin 100 Charities? I'm not trying to suggest titles, though if they make sense that's ok. =)  I am not sure how hard of a goal it would be to find 100 charities, that a majority would be comfortable with. I think setting an ambitous goal for how many charities to approach will make this endeavour that much more appealing as well. My mind is extremely occupied this evening so I hope that makes any sense.

Cheers,
   Derek

It makes sense, for I'm able to read through the clutter because I think like that--sometimes. Bitcoin100 not only maintains a list of donators, but will have a list of charities we procured, as well as an ongoing list of charities we desire to approach, far exceeding a 100 count. Hope that makes sense to you.

Are we at 100 yet (coins pledged, not members)?  If so, anyone think it may be beneficial to work a deal with Bit-Pay to put something on their charity page like "Add a bitcoin donation button today and receive a 100 bitcoin donation from the Bitcoin100"?  Their site looks very good, and they do provide all the services needed.  It would be a good site to direct potential charities in any communications sent.

As shown at the beginning of the OP: Use the following link to view the balance at any time:

http://blockexplorer.com/address/1BTC1oo1J3MEt5SFj74ZBcF2Mk97Aah4ac

Currently, 54+ BTC resides in the pool. Bit-Pay shall be part of this equation, once we're further along.

This concludes the housecleaning, to date. Hopefully, I didn't miss any important issues.

~Bruno~
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2011, 03:57:30 PM
Last edit: December 11, 2011, 04:28:41 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

I pledge 5 BTC in total, ie. 1 BTC for the next 5 charitable organizations.

1 btc,3.3USD).

However, I have a question:

is pledged.

this.

(And before anyone points at me and asks; why don't you make
such a website? Answer: I'm just too busy.)

But for the next 5 donation request, I will promise to donate promptly.

Thank you kindly, Herodes, for your pledge. The donator list in the OP has been updated reflecting your contribution.

this.

A website is definitely in the works, offering up a central location to read what Bitcoin100 consists of, for a forum thread no longer cuts the mustard. Too many questions, already answered, scattered all about.

1 btc,3.3USD).

Duly noted and, once again, reflected on the donator list in the OP. Thank you, again.

is pledged.

This is the core of Bitcoin100: The funds shall be readily available (or very close to that 100 BTC mark) when the charitable organizations are approached. It's the carrot, so to speak, enticing them to into becoming more receptive to what we have to offer.

We believe we have this issue solved, as well. First, although I came up with the idea, I made sure I distanced myself from the collection of the funds, thereby creating a level of trust as far as Bitcoin100 is concerned. The only two people who have control of the wallet are Rassah and Roger Ver (MemoryDealers).

this.

There'll be no need, what-so-ever, to take even 1 Satoshi from the honored pledges in the wallet to maintain a website. At the moment, it looks like edd and I have that cost covered. It's not going to break the bank to pay for hosting for Bictoin100, and edd already purchased the domain name. The cost is low to maintain a site, although time is valuable. But I, personally, will donate time towards this pet project. I was in search of a new pet, anyway, albeit I was thinking of a four-legged kind.

I hope that addresses your questions and concerns, Herodes. Feel free to offer up more. Thank you, again, for your kind pledge.

~Bruno~
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... 111 »
  Print  

Jump to: