Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 10:27:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they believe that the creator of this topic displays some red flags which make them high-risk. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 ... 111 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin 100: Developed Specifically for Non-Profits  (Read 262665 times)
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2012, 05:20:06 AM

Charitywater.org replied with "Thank you for reaching out to us! Your payment system sounds really interesting, but unfortunately we don't have the capacity right now to take on any new donation accepting platforms."

That's 2 down, 5 more rejections to go.

They're getting so many donations they can't possibly accept more.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 08:44:48 PM

No worries, with rising bitcoin price it is just a matter of time for charities queuing up.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 4332

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 08:59:41 PM
Last edit: September 17, 2012, 09:19:12 PM by franky1

blockchain explorer.

from the source BTC100 address funds have been syphoned off to a 1Kenya address and then looped through 'empty addresses' (no other trade history) to then reach the end point of

1DwSkYaY3poxAzAiu7ipUqmoTZkq1o57HJ

some direct payments from BTC100 went their too,

so who owns 1DwSkYaY3poxAzAiu7ipUqmoTZkq1o57HJ and why were the funds moved at all in the first place?
quote from btc100 address
"Rassah and Roger Ver (Bit Instant and Memory Dealers) have complete control over all donations currently residing in the Bitcoin wallet having the vanity address 1BTC1oo1J3MEt5SFj74ZBcF2Mk97Aah4ac, awaiting their next destination–a worthy non-profit organization."

AWAITING?? - moving funds is not waiting.
destination a worthy non profit. - please provide details which non-profit owns the 1DwSKY address.

secondly the images on the website have been ripped off of 'oxfam' images aswell as unicef. hopefully they have permission

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
vuce

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 09:41:06 PM

from the source BTC100 address funds have been syphoned off to a 1Kenya address and then looped through 'empty addresses' (no other trade history) to then reach the end point of
Everything that went to the 1kenya address was sold and used to buy medical supplies.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 12:39:00 AM

Correct. That was a donation that went to a group that is doing medical stuff in Kenya. The reason there is more than one transfer is because, often, after we agree to send money and a big chunk of money is sent, someone inevitably pipes in with, "Oh crap, I was away and didn't notice the donation, here's my money, send it too."

And, again, we really need to step up our solicitations. I'll e-mail the few that haven't responded again.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 12:51:44 AM

http://www.llg.org.au/ this is an organisation that could use some financial support. They fund suicide counselling and community support from money raised in their second hand stores.

http://www.llg.org.au/index.php/volunteering/geekechic they also have a computer recycling business and make jewellery out of some of the parts they salvage from it.

Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 09:18:26 PM
Last edit: September 18, 2012, 09:33:37 PM by Rassah

http://www.llg.org.au/ this is an organisation that could use some financial support. They fund suicide counselling and community support from money raised in their second hand stores.

Contacted

Also, resent a notice to the remaining charities that have yet to respond (letsfcancer.com, goods4good.org, pencilsofpromise.org, and cfy.org) with the following:
Hi. I just wanted to make sure that you received our prior e-mail. Please let me know if you have any questions.

TL;DR version:
  • Add a Bitcoin address to your website (could be as simple as just text. Example of ours is 1BTC1oo1J3MEt5SFj74ZBcF2Mk97Aah4ac)
  • Within days, receive about $1,000USD worth of bitcoin.
  • We will help you set up methods to easily convert it to USD or any other world currency, or point you to where you can do that yourself.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2012, 04:54:55 AM

So I have never been able to completely wrap my head around the Bitcoin 100, but I think I have something for it. 

Let me know if I'm way off base.

The Girl Scout membership in Ohio has been struggling with corporate Girl Scouts.  Camps are being shut down due to low usage, but when the girl scouts try to use the camps, corporate Girl Scouts says they can't afford to keep them open. 

There are many more injustices outline on their website, but that's the gist of it.  Bottom line is legal action has been taken and the battle has been in the courts for months.

This is the supporting group leading the charge for organizing legal pursuit.

http://www.trefoilintegrity.org/

I'm working with them to get a bitcoin option added to their website.  Is the idea with the Bitcoin 100 that the membership would be solicited for donations once that happens?

Does that mean, I can tell this girl scout website that they will likely get $1,000 in donations by adding this option to their website?

Should I use a smaller number assuming not everyone donates to every organization added, perhaps $200?

Many thanks for my newbie support request!

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 11:12:27 AM
Last edit: September 25, 2012, 01:40:16 AM by BTCurious

So, my girlfriend recently got a bit involved in Bitcoin, and she wanted to donate to some good causes with Bitcoin.
There's a site called www.givewell.org, which checks which charities are worth donating to. The top one on their list is the Against Malaria Foundation.

She mailed them, asking them to accept Bitcoin. Here's her mail:
Quote from: Anne
Hello Sean Good,

I live in Germany and really wanted to donate to your cause. Sadly,
there's this fee on bank transactions...
Have you ever considered accepting Bitcoins? It's a digital currency that
doesn't have any transaction fees. The basics are explained here:

http://bitcoinmagazine.net/category/bitcoin-newbies/

I know that getting familiar with a new currency is quite a lot of effort
and you might have concerns about possible risks. However, there's a
company called bitpay that processes Bitcoin payments for merchants or
charities. Basically they take care of the Bitcoin part of the trade and
would give the according amount to AMF in a currency of your choice (for
example British pounds). For a charity like AMF bitpay will process all
transactions at no charge.
Information on bitpay is available here:

https://bitpay.com/bitcoin-for-charities

Currently there is a limited number of charities that accept Bitcoins, so
people who want to donate Bitcoins to a good cause would be likely to
choose AMF. There is also a project called "Bitcoin 100" that involves 100
people who will each donate 1 Bitcoin to each charity that starts accepting
them. At the current market price that amounts to roughly 770 British
pounds.

"Credit/debit card companies charge a fee to the seller when you buy
something. This applies to all charities too when you make a donation. We
think this is a shame."
Me too. I would really look forward to recommending AMF should you decide
to take a step forward and accept bitcoins. And donate, of course!

If you are interested and/or have any questions concerning Bitcoin, please
don't hesitate to ask.

Best regards,
Anne

Their reply sounds hopeful!

Quote from: Andrew
Dear Anne,

Thank you very much for your interesting email. It is the first request
that we have received from a donor wishing to donate via BitCoins.

At present it would take a number of weeks for us to integrate BitCoins as
a payment system on our website and is not something we would consider at
present - although we do review our systems on a regular basis. Obviously
we would be interested in

1) The donation process and how much we can engage with the donor (i.e.
what is the technical process for donating, the financial details of how
the donation would eventually reach us and how we can relate a particular
donation to a donor's information).

2) The anticipated volume of donations via this method.

If you would would like to comment on any of these points we will certainly
put the information on file and consider it when we next review our payment
systems.

Many thanks
Andrew

Dr. Andrew Garner
Head of Technology
Against Malaria Foundation
Web: http://www.AgainstMalaria.com  <http://www.AgainstMalaria.com>
Email: andrewgarner@againstmalaria.com

The anticipated volume is of course at least 100 Bitcoins, but as a "high profile" properly verified charity, I suppose people might want to donate more. The donation process is relatively easy with Bit-pay I think. We could contact Bit-pay at a later stage to provide explanation/support.

So yeah… suggestions on how to proceed? Rassah, shall I include you in the email conversation, maybe?

Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2012, 05:20:01 PM

Sure!
And yeah, at least 100BTC for initial donation, and I think Bit-pay stated that they provide free service for charities? I don't remember exactly.
BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 01:40:05 AM

Indeed they do, for charities on the IRS Pub78 list (eligible to receive tax-deductible donations), which they are Smiley

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2012, 12:12:21 AM

This time I don't have a leg to stand one. I (Bruno) take full responsibility for the inaction of Bitcoin 100, offering up no excuses.

That said, if in 30 days we (mostly I) do not obtain a charity to accept Bitcoin as a payment option as outlined by Bitcoin 100 terms, then by all means all funds currently on deposit should be returned to those who've donated.

CornedBeefHash, among others, have been more than patient in this regard.

Somebody, please quote this post for posterity. Meanwhile, I have a letter to pen, for I have a charity in mind that just might add Bitcoin as a payment option to its donation page.

Thank again, CBH, for bringing this back to the forefront.

~Bruno K~
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 09:57:27 AM

This time I don't have a leg to stand one. I (Bruno) take full responsibility for the inaction of Bitcoin 100, offering up no excuses.

That said, if in 30 days we (mostly I) do not obtain a charity to accept Bitcoin as a payment option as outlined by Bitcoin 100 terms, then by all means all funds currently on deposit should be returned to those who've donated.

Somebody, please quote this post for posterity. Meanwhile, I have a letter to pen, for I have a charity in mind that just might add Bitcoin as a payment option to its donation page.

~Bruno K~

I strongly disagree.
We now have everything set up: Webpage, publicity on bitcointalk, donators, even our first success!
Even if we don't find NGOs accepting Bitcoin donations in the speed we like to, any additional NGO found will help our cause.
So even if it takes months for each additional NGO, I say lets do it!
Noone here will be shouting if no immediate success is visible. For me, my small bitcoin pledge is a donation anyway. If, after years and years, we have no single success, we might discuss returning those single bitcoins. But now? Why introduce unneeded pressure now?

On the contrary! We now have a much better situation than when the whole Bitcoin 100 started!
When approaching NGOs, we can point to two high-level politicians accepting bitcoins for donations. The use and infrastructure around Bitcoin is stronger too!

And, as a idea I got some time ago:
How about we, you Bruno, join efforts with The Bitcoin Foundation? Writing as an official of TBF, or as being controlled/reviewed/authorized by TBF, or just as a member of TBF, will make the initial letter and Bitcoin in general look more reputable.
I know about the pro-and-cons debates about TBF. I know that the whole idea of being "authorized" by TBF is laughable. I am just thinking that Bitcoin 100 and The Bitcoin Foundation have a lot of overlap and would profit from each other. And, as I am sure, have the same goals too.

Ente

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2012, 03:56:21 PM

~Bruno K~

I strongly disagree.
We now have everything set up: Webpage, publicity on bitcointalk, donators, even our first success!
Even if we don't find NGOs accepting Bitcoin donations in the speed we like to, any additional NGO found will help our cause.
Noone here will be shouting if no immediate success is visible. For me, my small bitcoin pledge is a donation anyway. If, after years and years, we have no single success, we might discuss returning those single bitcoins. But now? Why introduce unneeded pressure now?

On the contrary! We now have a much better situation than when the whole Bitcoin 100 started!
When approaching NGOs, we can point to two high-level politicians accepting bitcoins for donations. The use and infrastructure around Bitcoin is stronger too!

How about we, you Bruno, join efforts with The Bitcoin Foundation? Writing as an official of TBF, or as being controlled/reviewed/authorized by TBF, or just as a member of TBF, will make the initial letter and Bitcoin in general look more reputable.
I know about the pro-and-cons debates about TBF. I know that the whole idea of being "authorized" by TBF is laughable. I am just thinking that Bitcoin 100 and The Bitcoin Foundation have a lot of overlap and would profit from each other. And, as I am sure, have the same goals too.

Ente

The bottomline is that I needed a well deserved kick in the ass to get Bitcoin100 back on track. CornBeefHash was just using his foot to get me to act. I penned the 30-day-this-or-else post to make sure I felt the kick strong and hard. Now it's time for me to produce.

In the last few months, I've spent way too much time chasing teenage Chinese boys, pirates, butterflies, etc., nearly to the point of getting depressed about Bitcoin's future. But now it seems the excitement is back across the board, and I'm back in the game.

I have a viable for-profit idea up my sleeve and feel it's imperative that something positive continues to emerge from Bitcoin100 so that later when said entity goes live, it doesn't come across as another-Bruno's-trying-to-do-something-but... placemat.

As far as your noble suggestion of joining forces with TBF, I have to say that at this stage it's not practical. But further down the road, as Bitcoin100 earns its salt, most definitely that option may be explored.

I am toying with the idea of somehow getting the lead developer paid via other means besides funds donated/paid to TBF. In fact, I can easily do it through the for-profit entity I have in mind. The only thing I would desire to know is what dollar amount--yearly--that would consist of, believing I can provide said funds.

Thank you kindly, Ente, for your support.

~Bruno K~
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 06:49:32 PM

~Bruno K~

I strongly disagree.

Ente

The bottomline is that I needed a well deserved kick in the ass to get Bitcoin100 back on track. CornBeefHash was just using his foot to get me to act. I penned the 30-day-this-or-else post to make sure I felt the kick strong and hard. Now it's time for me to produce.

In the last few months, I've spent way too much time chasing teenage Chinese boys, pirates, butterflies, etc., nearly to the point of getting depressed about Bitcoin's future. But now it seems the excitement is back across the board, and I'm back in the game.

I have a viable for-profit idea up my sleeve and feel it's imperative that something positive continues to emerge from Bitcoin100 so that later when said entity goes live, it doesn't come across as another-Bruno's-trying-to-do-something-but... placemat.

As far as your noble suggestion of joining forces with TBF, I have to say that at this stage it's not practical. But further down the road, as Bitcoin100 earns its salt, most definitely that option may be explored.

I am toying with the idea of somehow getting the lead developer paid via other means besides funds donated/paid to TBF. In fact, I can easily do it through the for-profit entity I have in mind. The only thing I would desire to know is what dollar amount--yearly--that would consist of, believing I can provide said funds.

Thank you kindly, Ente, for your support.

~Bruno K~

Now that's more like it!
Lets get this fckn party started! :-)

Ente
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 09:25:36 PM

hi Bruno,

this was probably pointed out before, but

Poverty is the worst form of violence.
    ~Mahatma Gandhi

Meanwhile, millions of souls go hungry–every night–on this beautiful planet we all share. Bitcoin 100 won’t solve this problem (or any other for that matter), but nor would all the non-profit organizations, whether working alone or in concert with one another, produce significant results.

Is pretty pessimistic. When I read this on your "About" page, I wonder why I should pledge any money, when it wont change anything (and is not supposed to change anything?) in the first place. Pls consider to rephrase what you wanted to say here. Just my advise.

Anyways, thx for your efforts!
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2012, 09:35:58 PM

hi Bruno,

this was probably pointed out before, but

Poverty is the worst form of violence.
    ~Mahatma Gandhi

Meanwhile, millions of souls go hungry–every night–on this beautiful planet we all share. Bitcoin 100 won’t solve this problem (or any other for that matter), but nor would all the non-profit organizations, whether working alone or in concert with one another, produce significant results.

Is pretty pessimistic. When I read this on your "About" page, I wonder why I should pledge any money, when it wont change anything (and is not supposed to change anything?) in the first place. Pls consider to rephrase what you wanted to say here. Just my advise.

Anyways, thx for your efforts!

Excellent suggestion, Spek (can I call you Spek, for it would've taken too long to type the full name, for I'm pressing for time?), and will address that concern.

~Bruno K~
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2012, 03:18:58 PM

Sent to http://hide-e-hole.com

Hi. I came across your charity on Anthrocon's list of charity suggestions. I represent a charity fundraiser called Bitcoin100. The gist of our organization is that we try to get charities to add Bitcoin as a donation method, and once they do (a process we help with), we have 100 people who have already pledged to donate about $10 each, and make the donation within a week (so about $1,000, just for adding the donation option). Accepting Bitcoin also puts you on a list of Bitcoin-accepting charities, which is maintained and viewed by those involved with Bitcoin, and thus gives you some free advertising as well. We have had three charities add the option and receive funds already, and hope you could be the fourth.
Please let me know if this is something you would consider, or if you have any more questions.

Thank you

-- Dmitry
   Bitcoin100.com
Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2012, 04:45:36 AM

Finally honoring my 1 BTC pledge!

76657054c41fc381622d96aacbc570c5a6441efc1d10545d8e1128e95ab0cb75

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2012, 02:12:12 PM

Finally honoring my 1 BTC pledge!

76657054c41fc381622d96aacbc570c5a6441efc1d10545d8e1128e95ab0cb75

Thanks a lot, Red. I've updated the OP and Rassah will soon update the ledger. FWIW, I honored your pledge by proxy a long time ago, for what reason I can't remember, but sure if I search this forum, I would find the answer, but it's not important.

As of late, I've been tightening up the website so that it comes across better when perspective non-profits visit.

~Bruno K~
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 ... 111 »
  Print  

Jump to: