Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:52:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they believe that the creator of this topic displays some red flags which make them high-risk. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... 111 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin 100: Developed Specifically for Non-Profits  (Read 262665 times)
mcorlett
Donator

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 25, 2011, 06:08:43 PM

I represent a group of benefactors which would like you to consider an alternative method of accepting donations. We are called the Bitcoin100.

Our group consists of over 100 members of a community which uses Bitcoin as a method of monetary exchange worldwide. We wish to support St. Jude by contributing to your noble organization a generous gift of 100 bitcoins (100 BTC), currently valued at approximately $391.00. Furthermore, supporters of Bitcoin100 have pledged to continue their support of nonprofit and charitable organizations, like St. Jude, who have included Bitcoin as one of their donation options. Additional information pertaining to Bitcoin100 and its supporters can be researched here and contact information is available here.

As a charitable organization, St. Jude can easily accept Bitcoin as a donation option. Your accounting departing will not require retraining to accept these funds if they don't want to, because they will can be converted to U. S. dollars for you at no cost. A payment processing service called Bit-Pay will convert bitcoins donated to St. Jude into US dollars, ready for deposit into your bank account. Bit-Pay offers nonprofit organizations this service with absolutely zero fees, unlike other typical processing systems (Further reading about the services for nonprofits provided by Bit-Pay available here). Once St. Jude implements a 'Donate with Bitcoin' option--conveniently located among the other formidable donation options on your website--we pledge to send the current pool of 100 bitcoins (100 BTC), nearly $400, to your newly listed Bitcoin donation address.

Bitcoin will benefit St. Jude because of its ability to accept donations from around the globe via any convenient internet access almost instantly. The normally required fees will be generously eliminated by Bit-Pay leaving you with the complete original donation. Choosing Bitcoin as an additional donation option will allow St. Jude to utilize 100% of funds gifted, thereby benefiting more children in need.

Thank you kindly for your valuable time and consideration of accepting Bitcoin as a viable option to help fund your admirable cause. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to explain this in greater detail and assist you in setting up this payment method on your website. Please contact me by email @ [redacted] or by phone @ [redacted]
I feel like we need to stress that Bit-Pay isn't the only option.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin 100

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 25, 2011, 06:14:36 PM

I represent a group of benefactors which would like you to consider an alternative method of accepting donations. We are called the Bitcoin100.

Our group consists of over 100 members of a community which uses Bitcoin as a method of monetary exchange worldwide. We wish to support St. Jude by contributing to your noble organization a generous gift of 100 bitcoins (100 BTC), currently valued at approximately $391.00. Furthermore, supporters of Bitcoin100 have pledged to continue their support of nonprofit and charitable organizations, like St. Jude, who have included Bitcoin as one of their donation options. Additional information pertaining to Bitcoin100 and its supporters can be researched here and contact information is available here.

As a charitable organization, St. Jude can easily accept Bitcoin as a donation option. Your accounting departing will not require retraining to accept these funds if they don't want to, because they will can be converted to U. S. dollars for you at no cost. A payment processing service called Bit-Pay will convert bitcoins donated to St. Jude into US dollars, ready for deposit into your bank account. Bit-Pay offers nonprofit organizations this service with absolutely zero fees, unlike other typical processing systems (Further reading about the services for nonprofits provided by Bit-Pay available here). Once St. Jude implements a 'Donate with Bitcoin' option--conveniently located among the other formidable donation options on your website--we pledge to send the current pool of 100 bitcoins (100 BTC), nearly $400, to your newly listed Bitcoin donation address.

Bitcoin will benefit St. Jude because of its ability to accept donations from around the globe via any convenient internet access almost instantly. The normally required fees will be generously eliminated by Bit-Pay leaving you with the complete original donation. Choosing Bitcoin as an additional donation option will allow St. Jude to utilize 100% of funds gifted, thereby benefiting more children in need.

Thank you kindly for your valuable time and consideration of accepting Bitcoin as a viable option to help fund your admirable cause. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to explain this in greater detail and assist you in setting up this payment method on your website. Please contact me by email @ [redacted] or by phone @ [redacted]

I feel that this is a valid point. Name one or two others and how it should be worded to maintain the letter's shortness. (directed toward the reader, and not you personally, mcorlett)

I just saw you simple edits, also. Nice! Should the 'F' be capitalized or in small case here?: (in red above)

...systems (Further...

...processing service called Bit-Pay will convert...

What if?:

...processing service called Bit-Pay (would "among others" {providing a link} work?) will convert...

Thus reading like the following (fake link):

...processing service called Bit-Pay (among others) will convert...

~Bruno~
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2011, 06:47:27 PM

Only 5 more users need to pledge (not donate) to bring the list up to 100 supporters.

I would say 6, since some people on that list are no longer on this forum (ALPHA).

FYI, I will be traveling from Tuesday Dec. 27th to Friday Jan. 6th. I'll have internet access in that backwoods country I'm going to (London, England), but I won't necessarily have access to my PC. I guess that's where StrongCoin will be useful.
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 25, 2011, 07:28:21 PM

Thanks Bruno. Like I said it's not perfect. I just wanted to simplify it some. The original was a great letter. I just think in our eagerness to have outsiders understand Bitcoin we may have gone over the top a bit. This is not MY letter it’s OUR letter.  I kept much of the great job and respected revisions that sadpandatech did with the original.

BTW: That word is RETRAINING.

I like it and will be mailing out our first contact to St. Jude Monday morning, Dec. 26th at about 10AM EST; -5 GMT

Cheers

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
Bitcoin 100

View Profile
December 25, 2011, 07:31:39 PM

Thanks Bruno. Like I said it's not perfect. I just wanted to simplify it some. The original was a great letter. I just think in our eagerness to have outsiders understand Bitcoin we may have gone over the top a bit. This is not MY letter it’s OUR letter.  I kept much of the great job and respected revisions that sadpandatech did with the original.

Retraining!!! Not retaining!!! How could I have read that a half a dozen times and not see that 'R'?

I kept much of the great job and respected revisions that sadpandatech did with the original.

As so did I during my rewrites/editing. It has served as an excellent springboard which was a lot better than we had prior--none!, to speak of.

Thank you again, CBH.

Only 5 more users need to pledge (not donate) to bring the list up to 100 supporters.

I would say 6, since some people on that list are no longer on this forum (ALPHA).

FYI, I will be traveling from Tuesday Dec. 27th to Friday Jan. 6th. I'll have internet access in that backwoods country I'm going to (London, England), but I won't necessarily have access to my PC. I guess that's where StrongCoin will be useful.

Noted! Enjoy your vacation (or holiday as Europeans, I believe, call it). I was aware of that someone no longer being on this forum when I penned that post. I opt to keep it as it is at the moment and was even thinking of honoring his pledge by proxy. In fact, that is what I'm going to do. Done!!!

~Bruno~

EDIT: Am I under the impression that we are not allowed to speak his/her that someone's name?
Bitcoin 100

View Profile
December 25, 2011, 07:34:40 PM

Thanks Bruno. Like I said it's not perfect. I just wanted to simplify it some. The original was a great letter. I just think in our eagerness to have outsiders understand Bitcoin we may have gone over the top a bit. This is not MY letter it’s OUR letter.  I kept much of the great job and respected revisions that sadpandatech did with the original.

I like it and will be mailing out our first contact to St. Jude Monday morning, Dec. 26th at about 10AM EST; -5 GMT

Cheers

Sounds fine here. One note. At the end where you have "Bitcoin100 Pledger", would the word "Supporter" be better?
sadpandatech

View Profile
December 25, 2011, 07:36:40 PM

Supporter rolls off the tongue better.

cheers

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

gnar1ta$
Donator

Activity: 798

View Profile
December 25, 2011, 08:21:41 PM

I think BTcinch offers processing and $ deposits for charities, and Intersango may have fee-less conversion??? Sorry, on my phone, don't have links.

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2011, 10:40:10 PM

I think BTcinch offers processing and $ deposits for charities, and Intersango may have fee-less conversion??? Sorry, on my phone, don't have links.

During the interim of having this minor issue resolved, let's just go ahead and have Derek take care of the first emailing as planned.

~Bruno~
sadpandatech

View Profile
December 25, 2011, 11:13:52 PM

During the interim of having this minor issue resolved, let's just go ahead and have Derek take care of the first emailing as planned.

~Bruno~

I agree, some thought to place info in our writing to make it clear there are other alternatives. While we work that out I will try to come up with a quick one liner to squeeze into our current text.

For our continued edits, I am thinking something simple just before the Bit-Pay mentions. Along the lines of, "There are many different avenues to convert bitcoins to your currency of choice." "Our recommended servicer is Bit-Pay, who caters to charities with 0% fees, donor information gathering and direct deposit into your bank account." "You can read about some of the other options to manage bitcoins 'here?' or contact me with any specific needs you may have for processing your donations."

- GA

mcorlett
Donator

View Profile
December 26, 2011, 01:04:46 AM

~Bruno~

I agree, some thought to place info in our writing to make it clear there are other alternatives. While we work that out I will try to come up with a quick one liner to squeeze into our current text.

For our continued edits, I am thinking something simple just before the Bit-Pay mentions. Along the lines of, "There are many different avenues to convert bitcoins to your currency of choice." "Our recommended servicer is Bit-Pay, who caters to charities with 0% fees, donor information gathering and direct deposit into your bank account." "You can read about some of the other options to manage bitcoins 'here?' or contact me with any specific needs you may have for processing your donations."
Go break a leg, Derek!

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2011, 01:35:37 AM

~Bruno~

As I mentioned above, the below could possibly work just as well, with the active link showing the sources of all the available options, thereby adding only 2 words to the overall letter.

~Bruno~

EDIT:

...processing service, e.g. Bit-Pay (among others), will convert...
sadpandatech

View Profile
December 26, 2011, 01:45:11 AM

As I mentioned above, the below could possibly work just as well, with the active link showing the sources of all the available options, thereby adding only 2 words to the overall letter.

~Bruno~

EDIT:

In my haste I must have overlooked that. It will certanly do what we need it to do then.

Cheers

- GA

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2011, 02:17:12 AM

~Bruno~

EDIT:

In my haste I must have overlooked that. It will certanly do what we need it to do then.

Cheers

As I mentioned it earlier, possibly no need to do it with the first emailing, for the link would first have to be set up and relative.

To start that process, I need ALL the names of the entities that current offer this processing service.

~Bruno~

zhoutong
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2011, 12:52:54 PM

I have sent 100 BTC to the donation address to honor my pledge.

Good luck with this whole project!

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

Donations for my future Bitcoin projects: 19Uk3tiD5XkBcmHyQYhJxp9QHoub7RosVb
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2011, 02:18:11 PM

Hi,

do you know the health impact fund? Maybe best described in this video?

How about a Bitcoin Donations Fund? Bitcoiners donate to it. Each month 10% of the collected funds get distributed to accepting charities based on their size (annual funds).
Charities would still have an incentive to be the first to register but also to stay with it in case people donate.

Regards

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
mcorlett
Donator

View Profile
December 26, 2011, 04:29:00 PM

To start that process, I need ALL the names of the entities that current offer this processing service.

~Bruno~
BTCinch, BitSpend, and Bit-Pay are the only I've been able to find:

http://btcinch.com/
https://bitspend.eu/
https://bit-pay.com/

sadpandatech

View Profile
December 26, 2011, 05:23:22 PM

I'll keep this brief so I don't break up the current discussions too much.
Our first letter has been emailed to St. Jude. It is very close to the last one that you posted, Bruno.

@Zhou Tong, thank you very much for your generous donation!
@Bruno, I adjusted 2 or 3 words to make bit-Pay our recommendation and not the only one available. Are we going to make a thread or wiki entry with current payment processors?
@giszmo, thats an interesting idea. Would you mind sharing it on the Bitcoin Charity List Thread as well?
@mcorlett, Excellent. I tried hunting for a few last night via google searches, etc., for 'bitcoin payment processors'. But got sidetracked reading up on all the stuff I found. Little of which was beneficial to what we were looking for. =)

Cheers,
    Derek

- GA

mcorlett
Donator

View Profile
December 26, 2011, 05:25:35 PM

Are we going to make a thread or wiki entry with current payment processors?
There are some payment processors mixed in with shopping cart interfaces listed on the wiki available at https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Category:Shopping_Cart_Interfaces.

Bitcoin 100

View Profile
December 26, 2011, 06:45:07 PM

I have sent 100 BTC to the donation address to honor my pledge.

Good luck with this whole project!

A special thanks to zhoutong is warranted for his generous donation, thereby beginning to honor his more than kind pledge. Thank you again, zhoutong.

Hi,

do you know the health impact fund? Maybe best described in this video?

How about a Bitcoin Donations Fund? Bitcoiners donate to it. Each month 10% of the collected funds get distributed to accepting charities based on their size (annual funds).
Charities would still have an incentive to be the first to register but also to stay with it in case people donate.

Regards

Thank you for bringing attention to the HIF, Giszmo.

In essence, your ideas is what Bitcoin100 consists of, albeit having a different structure and doling out funds process.

~Bruno~
BTCinch, BitSpend, and Bit-Pay are the only I've been able to find:

http://btcinch.com/
https://bitspend.eu/
https://bit-pay.com/

Thank you for your efforts, mcorlett. Any others that need to be added to the list would be truly appreciative.

Are we going to make a thread or wiki entry with current payment processors?
There are some payment processors mixed in with shopping cart interfaces listed on the wiki available at https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Category:Shopping_Cart_Interfaces.

Although a great page, it may not accomplish what we would like, for it may offer up confusion to the intended reader of the introductory letter.

I'll keep this brief so I don't break up the current discussions too much.
Our first letter has been emailed to St. Jude. It is very close to the last one that you posted, Bruno.

@Zhou Tong, thank you very much for your generous donation!
@Bruno, I adjusted 2 or 3 words to make bit-Pay our recommendation and not the only one available. Are we going to make a thread or wiki entry with current payment processors?
@giszmo, thats an interesting idea. Would you mind sharing it on the Bitcoin Charity List Thread as well?
@mcorlett, Excellent. I tried hunting for a few last night via google searches, etc., for 'bitcoin payment processors'. But got sidetracked reading up on all the stuff I found. Little of which was beneficial to what we were looking for. =)

Cheers,
    Derek

Would you be so kind, Derek, as to provide us a copy of the letter sent so that we can have the opportunity to continue to tweak it, albeit ever so slightly, for future mailings. This is by no means meant as a double checking request, but merely as a continuation of the openness of this open source endeavor. Please forgive me if you happen to view this request in a different light.

I, too, get sidetracked when conducting research. Somebody needs to clean up this internet thing. Too much information is currently available, contributing to the confusion of its users.  Grin

~Bruno~
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... 111 »
  Print  

Jump to: