Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 10:22:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 [216] 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 ... 295 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][GRS] Groestlcoin | 1st to activate Segwit & Taproot  (Read 558019 times)
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1115

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 12:28:35 AM

That's exactly what I said - if you roll back anyone can spend segwit outputs. So far, I don't think anyone is making segwit txs, so it would be fine to roll back. In the future, if lots of people are using segwit, then why would anyone want to roll back?

Also, Vertcoin is going to start signalling for segwit on March 1st, so if the foreseeable future is two days, then OK I guess Tongue
kiklo
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 01:33:39 AM
Last edit: February 27, 2017, 01:45:50 AM by kiklo

That's exactly what I said - if you roll back anyone can spend segwit outputs. So far, I don't think anyone is making segwit txs, so it would be fine to roll back. In the future, if lots of people are using segwit, then why would anyone want to roll back?

Also, Vertcoin is going to start signalling for segwit on March 1st, so if the foreseeable future is two days, then OK I guess Tongue

Hmm, so you think that the miners will follow thru this time or it will fail like the last one with only 7%.
Miners already refused to update once.  Tongue

https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/5tsd26/vertcoin_has_forked_because_of_failed_segwit/

From their Blog Hello everyone,

Unfortunately I learned that Vertcoin had hard forked during the night between old (v0.10.0.*) and new (13.99.0) wallets.

This has lead to old wallets on one chain and new ones on the other.

Given that only around 7% of the network has switched so far to the new wallet, I ask that everyone who has upgraded, downgrade their wallet to v0.10.0.2 and those who have not yet upgraded to stay put.

On that basis, the development team will be evaluating the fork to determine its cause and if possible release a patch and retry the soft fork. Failing that, we intend to hard fork the coin, sometime in the next month.

You can find the old wallet for download here: https://github.com/vertcoin/vertcoin_old/releases

Thank you for your patience,

James

Cool
IMZ
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 01:37:23 AM
Last edit: February 27, 2017, 03:42:21 AM by IMZ

Me quietly reading GRS data; and I've figured out that if Groestl's devs were Australian, GRS would be called 'Bubble-and-Squeak Coin'!

EDIT: I have signed up at Cointopay.com, and look forward to using it; but may I explain something very different, an Australian service called 'Living Room of Satoshi':

thousands of Australian companies have an identifying 'Biller Code' -- for example, my telephone and electricity companies. Now, we know the guy who runs L.R.o.S.: it's a business that effectively buys Bitcoin for fiat ($AU) by accepting your Bitcoin to pay your $AU bills.

There's no fee, and the 'exchange rate' this second -- I just paid a bill -- was 1.3%.

So, when Bitcoin is spiking, I can pay my 'leccy bill months ahead; and when Bitcoin is dipping, I buy Bitcoin with fiat to put in my 'holding-tank.'

This model works with two cryptos here in Oz. Let's aim to make it work everywhere some day with GRS.

Any Australians here?

jackielove4u

Activity: 608
Merit: 526

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 10:32:54 AM

Latest on Segwit, since your coin has all ready activated , according to the below posts,
No rollbacks are Ever possible, Segwit is Now & Forever ingrained in your blockchain.  Tongue

https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/5vbofp/initially_i_liked_segwit_but_then_i_learned/

You wanted people like me to support you and install your code, Core / Blockstream?

Then you shouldn't have a released messy, dangerous, centrally planned hack like SegWit-as-a-soft-fork - with its random, arbitrary, centrally planned, ridiculously tiny 1.7MB blocksize - and its dangerous "anyone-can-spend" soft-fork semantics.

Now it's too late. The market will reject SegWit - and it's all Core / Blockstream's fault.

The market prefers simpler, safer, future-proof, market-based solutions such as Bitcoin Unlimited.

The damage which would be caused by SegWit (at the financial, software, and governance level) would be massive:

Millions of lines of other Bitcoin code would have to be rewritten (in wallets, on exchanges, at businesses) in order to become compatible with all the messy non-standard kludges and workarounds which Blockstream was forced into adding to the code (the famous "technical debt") in order to get SegWit to work as a soft fork.

SegWit was originally sold to us as a "code clean-up". Heck, even I intially fell for it when I saw an early presentation by Pieter Wuille on YouTube from one of Blockstream's many, censored Bitcoin scaling stalling conferences)

But as we all later all discovered, SegWit is just a messy hack.

Probably the most dangerous aspect of SegWit is that it changes all transactions into "ANYONE-CAN-SPEND" without SegWit - all because of the messy workarounds necessary to do SegWit as a soft-fork. The kludges and workarounds involving SegWit's "ANYONE-CAN-SPEND" semantics would only work as long as SegWit is still installed.

This means that it would be impossible to roll-back SegWit - because all SegWit transactions that get recorded on the blockchain would now be interpreted as "ANYONE-CAN-SPEND" - so, SegWit's dangerous and messy "kludges and workarounds and hacks" would have to be made permanent - otherwise, anyone could spend those "ANYONE-CAN-SPEND" SegWit coins!

Segwit cannot be rolled back because to non-upgraded clients, ANYONE can spend Segwit txn outputs. If Segwit is rolled back, all funds locked in Segwit outputs can be taken by anyone. As more funds gets locked up in segwit outputs, incentive for miners to collude to claim them grows.

Cool

Thank you for your informational post.
We will not perform a rollback. We are fine with Segwit or as you say: we are fine with forever ingrained segwit in our blockchain.

Dont believe everything you read from anti segwit guys. It is just politics and propaganda. New transaction types (such as p2sh, segwit, csv, whatever) require only that the participants (sender and receiver) and miners understand the new transaction type. This was done by having the new transaction appear to older clients as a "pay-to-anybody" transaction (or as you call it anyone-can-spend), and getting the miners to agree to reject blocks including these transaction unless the transaction validates under the new rules.

P2SH softfork was added in bitcoin in 2012. At that time p2sh support was also controversial. Everybody screaming that everybody can spend it bla bla bla. Now in 2017, many people use p2sh. If p2sh is abandoned (which will not happen) you can steal all money in these accounts.

Segwit is the same as that fork in 2012. Like any other P2SH address, P2SH-P2WPKH (segwit) address has prefix 3 in Bitcoin and Groestlcoin. Old clients will see the transaction as "pay-to-anybody" transaction but you cant spend them. If segwit is abandoned (which will not happen) you can steal all money in these accounts.

CSV softfork is also based on the "pay-to-anybody" trick. It got activated on Bitcoin and Groestlcoin. You dont hear anybody complaining about that softfork while it has the same "pay-to-anybody" trick.

TLDR: P2SH and CSV was also introduced through anyone-can-spend output and activated. Its all political Segwit stuff. Dont bring Segwit politics to Groestlcoin, we are too small coin for that.

Some sources:
https://seebitcoin.com/2017/02/segwit-facts-not-anyone-can-spend-so-stop-saying-they-can/
https://segwit.org/do-we-have-any-experience-using-these-anyone-can-spend-outputs-81be4a58c77b

PGP fingerprint: 287A E4CA 1187 C68C 08B4  9CB2 D11B D4F3 3F1D B499
jackielove4u

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 11:27:32 AM

Something malevolent might be sitting in the code, I dont know what exactly but its gonna create a tone of mess if u dont fix it. U need to perform a forensic analysis to know more and find the cause of malfunction. If u dont carry that out everything will collapse in the shortest term. Think of this carefully.

Thank you for your concern. AFAIK malevolent code sits only with coins that dont update their code from time to time.
For example many coins with a bitcoin 0.8.6 base code have the CVE-2015-3641 problem. Some of them still have the heartbleed bug, some of them the openssl bug, some of them have malleability issues etc etc
You get the point.

Segwit works fine. All our old wallet, mobile wallets, desktop wallets are still working. Nothing broken by Segwit. If Bitcoin doesnt activate Segwit we are able to maintain the segwit code ourselves.

jackielove4u

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 11:36:15 AM

This info just came out, thought you should be aware of it , since you have activated segwit ,
YOU CAN NEVER GO BACK, without compromising the ownership of your coins.

(Which just means any Future Segwit security issues,  you are stuck with segwit for the life of this blockchain.)
Only way out is a coin swap if something unfixable occurs.

If you are not running old nodes, then the part about filtering is a nonissue for you.

You would think , you would want all available information on segwit, not throw a hissy fit about new information.

When an segwit specific attack appears , I will be sure not to inform you, since you prefer blind ignorance to knowledge.  Wink

Cool

FYI:
ZEIT is not vulnerable to heartbleed.
You PoW guys needed the Malleability fix, because you let people jump in front of others in the mempool transactions by paying higher fees.
ZEIT processes the mempool transactions in the order they were received, so we have zero issues with malleability.  Wink

You are very concerned about our network, thank you!
We DONT want to go back.

If there will be future segwit issues, we will deal with it. But if they will arise same issues could apply for P2SH. We are all stuck with P2SH, for the life of Bitcoin and Groestlcoin, I dont see any concern here?

No we needed the Malleability fix to explorer new tech and possibilities. We dont have a full mempool. You can even send transactions without any fee and it will be confirmed, so we didnt do it for the higher fees. Dont spread lies about Groestlcoin please.

jackielove4u

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 11:40:58 AM

You can go back, it just allows anyone to spend segwit style txs afaik, which are not really being used on groestlcoin network so far I don't think so it wouldn't hurt anything to roll back. If segwit did prove valuable and lots of people were using, then why would anyone want to roll it back?

There are no segwit transactions on mainnet done, only on Testnet. In order to do segwit transactions you need segwit ready wallets (we dont have any wallets yet that is able to do segwit transactions. Our network is just segwit ready) or manually craft a segwit transactions.

Like P2SH and CSV, Segwit will not be rolled back. People can still use all our old wallets, they all work as before.

jackielove4u

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 11:43:03 AM

Segwit added or modified 4824 lines of code,  you have to run & fully use it for a year to sort any bugs.
Testnets & peer review only go so far.

Yes we are planning to run it and fully use it for a year or so before releasing any wallets with segwit support.

kiklo
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 05:11:18 PM

You PoW guys needed the Malleability fix, because you let people jump in front of others in the mempool transactions by paying higher fees.

No we needed the Malleability fix to explorer new tech and possibilities. We dont have a full mempool. You can even send transactions without any fee and it will be confirmed, so we didnt do it for the higher fees. Dont spread lies about Groestlcoin please.

1st off,
I did not lie, full or empty mempool matters not.

What matters is PoW current design does allow transactions to jump ahead of others.
That is what causes the Malleability problem with the transaction ID.
If all of your transactions were processed in order they were received their would been no malleability problem to exploit.

Good Luck with your coin.

Cool
dfd1

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 07:18:03 PM

Segwit added or modified 4824 lines of code,  you have to run & fully use it for a year to sort any bugs.

Yes we are planning to run it and fully use it for a year or so before releasing any wallets with segwit support.

So does it mean SegWit actually not activated for real in Groestlcoin? No one can enjoy low fee off chain transactions, cross-chain trades, etc?  It's just another smoke and mirrors for pump?
romanornr

Activity: 690
Merit: 907

Yeah Romano from twitter

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 07:51:45 PM

Me quietly reading GRS data; and I've figured out that if Groestl's devs were Australian, GRS would be called 'Bubble-and-Squeak Coin'!

EDIT: I have signed up at Cointopay.com, and look forward to using it; but may I explain something very different, an Australian service called 'Living Room of Satoshi':......
Any Australians here?

Devs are Dutch.
romanornr

Yeah Romano from twitter

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 07:53:36 PM
Last edit: February 27, 2017, 08:42:17 PM by romanornr

So does it mean SegWit actually not activated for real in Groestlcoin? No one can enjoy low fee off chain transactions, cross-chain trades, etc?  It's just another smoke and mirrors for pump?
No. They can just release the wallets. They are just careful. You can compile the wallets yourself if you want.
Edit [ Wallets for it will be released later with gui support. Right now it's only possible with the cli ]
dfd1

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 08:24:53 PM

So does it mean SegWit actually not activated for real in Groestlcoin? No one can enjoy low fee off chain transactions, cross-chain trades, etc?  It's just another smoke and mirrors for pump?
No. They can just release the wallets. They are just careful. You can compile the wallets yourself if you want.

Well, I actually want to compile it and test lightning channels. I still don't understand mechanics and concept of update. I want to know how it looks and work, if there is need for some additional data.
Do I need to choose lightning channels manually, or wallet do all the work by itself? Is there some another colored coin will appear I should convert my coins to first?  How can I open my channel and have my share of comission?
Where is a wallet I can  compile to test all this?
romanornr

Yeah Romano from twitter

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 08:41:31 PM

Well, I actually want to compile it and test lightning channels. I still don't understand mechanics and concept of update. I want to know how it looks and work, if there is need for some additional data.
Do I need to choose lightning channels manually, or wallet do all the work by itself? Is there some another colored coin will appear I should convert my coins to first?  How can I open my channel and have my share of comission?
Oh my previous message wasn't completed. The gui doesn't support it.
You can do it with the CLI
jackielove4u

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 08:54:53 PM
Last edit: February 27, 2017, 09:05:49 PM by jackielove4u

So does it mean SegWit actually not activated for real in Groestlcoin? No one can enjoy low fee off chain transactions, cross-chain trades, etc?  It's just another smoke and mirrors for pump?

This means exactly this:
CSV & Segwit has been activated for real in Groestlcoin. Meaning: all nodes are upgraded to handle/recognize segwit transactions. All exchanges are upgraded to handle/recognize segwit transactions. All miners and pools are segwit READY (if a segwit transaction was created right NOW, it would be accepted and handled by the nodes and pools).

However none of our existing wallets is capable of creating segwit transactions right now. They will get upgraded/released one by one this year (starting with Electrum-GRS as the first) to create segwit transactions.
Not even with Groestlcoin Core you can create segwit transactions through its GUI. Only way to create segwit transactions is manually craft it with groestlcoin-cli.
Same is true for LTC, BTC, VTC, VIA etc etc. If they activate Segwit, then their Core wallets will not be able to create segwit transactions untill their wallets are updated again to actual create segwit transactions.

Cross-chain trades: You need to wait untill other coins have segwit activated to do cross-chain trades.

Low fee off chain: This actually existed in Groestlcoin before we had Segwit. Use Groestlcoin Samourai. It uses payment channels for off chain transactions.

jackielove4u

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 09:08:37 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=525926.msg17947140#msg17947140

IMZ
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 12:29:37 AM

'Now, comparing the altcoin ecosystem, many struggle with . . . a missing business orientation.'

https://cointelegraph.com/news/dashs-break-to-4-crypto-position-explained-by-its-cashing-in-on-bitcoins-consumer-problems

Well, I'll just have to look into that!

And if you come to Perth, Australia, come and visit me! Here is Eric and his Cheepers standing at my back door:

http://imgur.com/a/cMo7c
aliceaa

Activity: 64
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 10:06:52 PM

Hello

I've built groestlcoin-qt from official git https:// github.com/groestlcoin/groestlcoin
at first launch the wallet asks about the directory (custom/default) and then says: core dumped.
I'm starting it again from src/qt folder and I'm getting "core dumped" again with a message "log region size must be >= 130000".
What to do?
The compilation was without any errors at first time Smiley
jackielove4u

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 11:18:37 PM

Hello

I've built groestlcoin-qt from official git https:// github.com/groestlcoin/groestlcoin
at first launch the wallet asks about the directory (custom/default) and then says: core dumped.
I'm starting it again from src/qt folder and I'm getting "core dumped" again with a message "log region size must be >= 130000".
What to do?

Need more info. You built on Linux, Mac or Windows?
If Linux, which distro?

aliceaa

Activity: 64
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 11:25:48 PM

Hello

What to do?

Need more info. You built on Linux, Mac or Windows?
If Linux, which distro?

Mint, newest.
Pages: « 1 ... 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 [216] 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 ... 295 »
  Print  

Jump to: