Bitcoin Forum
March 30, 2024, 06:46:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BitcoinSpinner  (Read 55408 times)
Jan (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 10:55:03 PM

When copying the address to the clipboard, it is preceded by the prefix "bitcoin:" - in most cases, this just requires manual deletion of the prefix by the user when pasting into the Web form.

Can we have the handle removed, and only copy the address itself?
Absolutely, good idea. I'll do that in the rewrite.

Can we have the latest version in the repository?

Jan you claimed a rewrite. Will that be open source, too?
The rewrite is still very much in alpha. I have shown it to anyone interested at the conference, and the feedback has so far been very positive. If you are at the conference seek me out at the Mycelium booth and I'll give a demo. The sources (and the app) will be published once I have given it more polish. Please allow me to work on it a few more weeks :-)

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 07:40:02 AM

Can we have the latest version in the repository?

Jan you claimed a rewrite. Will that be open source, too?
The rewrite is still very much in alpha. I have shown it to anyone interested at the conference, and the feedback has so far been very positive. If you are at the conference seek me out at the Mycelium booth and I'll give a demo. The sources (and the app) will be published once I have given it more polish. Please allow me to work on it a few more weeks :-)
[/quote]

Sadly I couldn't come to the conference. You misunderstood my question:

Would you please share the latest version of Spinner as it is in the market. The market version was updated several times but not so the repository.

Are you planning to open source the rewrite, too?
(This one you implicitly answered with "yes", which I'm glad to hear.)

On another topic, will the new version avoid the one-address-for-life pattern? The implications of people seeing the money that went through my pocket and that will go through it are scary.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 01:33:52 PM

Would you please share the latest version of Spinner as it is in the market. The market version was updated several times but not so the repository.
The market and repository have the same released versions, the most recent is 0.8.2b.

On another topic, will the new version avoid the one-address-for-life pattern? The implications of people seeing the money that went through my pocket and that will go through it are scary.
The new version allows you to manage several keys and read-only addresses. This makes the UI more complicated, and will be confusing for newcomers. For that reason I am considering to make two versions... simple/expert. Let's see how it all pans out.

giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 02:53:40 PM

The market and repository have the same released versions, the most recent is 0.8.2b.
Oh, now I'm confused. Last time I nagged, the market had several updates after the months old last update to the repo. Either I had a bad link to some abandoned fork or you pushed your changes just recently. Sorry for not checking before repeating my request.

The new version allows you to manage several keys and read-only addresses. This makes the UI more complicated, and will be confusing for newcomers. For that reason I am considering to make two versions... simple/expert. Let's see how it all pans out.
I don't see how the interface would have to be any more complicated. It would just have to show one new address after each receiving and sending transaction. Sure, the backup would not be a private key but a seed for a deterministic wallet, which would smell like a vendor lock-in if you used some custom algorithm but the only change for the user would be that the receiving address would change all the time. He could still receive all his transactions to any of the generated addresses if he chose to and some would ask you if that would be the case no matter how well you explain that fact in your app but else it would be the same easy interface.

Downside would be that importing keys would be mixing deterministic wallets with single keys which would make it awkward but the changing keys would be a much easier feature to deal with than coin control and for most needs provide the same effect. In my eyes, coin control will always stay a tool for developer-grade users and we will need other solutions for the privacy of regular users such as ZeroCoin. Putting coin control into Android clients is is like a cheap excuse to not really fix the problem, so for my taste, better let the problem become imminent for all users so all work on a real solution than to grant give geeks a tool to sort of maybe sometimes try to fix it by hand.

I recently sent a bitcoin to a friend of my brother and he was impressed to see how many bitcoins went through my phone. That was where I realized that this very same information now is with 40+ people that I interacted with, reaching from friends and family to total strangers that I showed bitcoin.

WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
minimalB
Donator

Activity: 674
Merit: 522

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 10:10:56 PM

Howcome BitcoinSpinner is not mentioned on http://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet?

It this because of rewrite?
Tacticat

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 09:10:07 AM

Now that Bitcoin-QT has changed its default TX fee to 0.0001 is it possible you do the same?

The sooner the clients implement the lower fee, the sooner miners will accept it with the same priority as the previous one.

Thanks!

Tips and donations:

15nqQGfkgoxrBnsshD6vCuMWuz71MK51Ug
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 06:32:52 PM

Howcome BitcoinSpinner is not mentioned on http://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet?

It this because of rewrite?
The truth is that I never came around to do a pull request on the page. I'll do it for the re-write.

Now that Bitcoin-QT has changed its default TX fee to 0.0001 is it possible you do the same?

The sooner the clients implement the lower fee, the sooner miners will accept it with the same priority as the previous one.

Thanks!
Yes, the new fee rules will be applied in the re-write. Not only the 0.0001 fee pr 1000 bytes, but also the minimum output size.

jago25_98

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2013, 03:25:39 PM

Where does Bitcoinspinner store it's data in the filesystem? I am trying to recover a wallet or private key from a water damaged phone.

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2394
Merit: 2106

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 03:53:52 PM
Last edit: June 05, 2013, 05:42:04 PM by Richy_T

Where does Bitcoinspinner store it's data in the filesystem? I am trying to recover a wallet or private key from a water damaged phone.

I'm thinking it's stored as a preference. The source is available but I can't access it myself currently.
SharedPreferences are stored in an xml file in the app data folder, i.e.

/data/data/YOUR_PACKAGE_NAME/shared_prefs/YOUR_PREFS_NAME.xml

Yup...

/data/data/com.miracleas.bitcoin_spinner/shared_prefs

Though I can't see the private key which shows when I attempt an export through the GUI so it may be encoded somehow.

The seed is in there plaintext though so you might have best luck getting that out.

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 07:37:52 AM

The successor of BitcoinSpinner is now available for open beta on Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mycelium.wallet
The sources are published here: https://github.com/mycelium-com/wallet
Apart from a total rewrite the wallet has a new name: Mycelium Bitcoin Wallet
The security model of the Mycelium wallet is the same as for BitcoinSpinner: Your private key only leaves your device if you choose to export it.

In addition to having all the features of BitcoinSpinner it boasts an impressive set of new features, many of which were asked for in this thread:
  • Private key import (also Casascius private keys)
  • Manage multiple keys/addresses
  • Redundant backend servers with client side load balancing
  • Uses new fee rules (0.0001 pr 1000 bytes, etc)
  • Switch between BTC/fiat when sending coins
  • Switch between BTC/fiat amount when making a payment request
  • Export private key to SD card (allows printing without intermediary computer)
  • Change Bitcoin denomination: BTC, mBTC, uBTC
  • Integrated QR scanner
  • Landscape mode
  • Improved transaction history
  • View transaction details: tx hash, block#, inputs/outputs

apetersson and I have been working really hard on developing this. We hope you like it and leave a 5 star review on Google Play.

Our thanks go to Jethro, who has done an astounding job testing all the corners of the wallet on many devices.

The Mycelium Bitcoin Wallet deserves its own thread, but we would like to announce it in this thread first and let the hard-core BitcoinSpinner users give us some feedback.

TL;DR

The successor of BitcoinSpinner is now available for open beta on Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mycelium.wallet
We hope you like it and leave a 5 star review  Grin

apetersson

Activity: 668
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 07:57:49 AM

Thanks Jan for the excellent work on this wallet. We hope to improve it further and need your feedback.

this is a "stealth" open beta release. we will announce it more broadly once we are confident that no severe bugs remain.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 07:58:14 AM

Please consider packaging it for BlackBerry10 too.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

apetersson

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 11:00:27 AM
Last edit: June 21, 2013, 05:44:37 AM by apetersson

Please consider packaging it for BlackBerry10 too.
the plan is to have the application in beta for some time and then incrementally improving user experience.

we certainly consider creating a build for Blackberry 10, but we don't have a device for testing. would you like to help us running the tests on your device?
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 05:47:10 PM

Hi Jan,

Very nice !

I have been trying it out today and it is very slick. You've been busy.

:-)

Jim

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 07:31:00 PM

Great work!!! I will definitely leave a 5* after testing and reviewing the code a bit. In one week I will show it on a bitcoin forum here in Viña.

(Disclaimer: When I test stuff I try to document my first impression as closely as possible as this first impression can never be brought back, so if people consider this blabla pointless: It's intended for the developer, not the general forum reader.)

Smiley creating a new key … I read "shuffle" and was confused. My first thought was "shake", to create randomness. ok, afterwards it makes no sense but that was my first association with "shuffle", so I shaked my phone a bit. The "use" button makes sense, too in this context as "use your pc to generate randomness" is also what I read more than once.
Anyway, half a second later I understood, that there was a key already and "shuffle" would role the dice again, so I tried it (instantly regretting not to have checked if maybe I head a nice address before Wink ). Hey, I have vanitygen and I'm sure I read it right that it's easy as 123 to get a vanity gen address into my phone but still it was fun to press shuffle to get a slightly cooler address. Maybe you should integrate some up to 3-letter vanitygen in the wallet.

The swipe is delayed 1s on my motorola defy.

ɃɃ
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 07:46:24 PM

• Redundant backend servers with client side load balancing
Please elaborate! How do I set up such a server? Does Mycelium connect to regular bitcoin nodes? How many does it connect to by default? How does it bootstrap?
I have 1BTC on my Mycelium Wallet and keys are backed up. I love the speed of this first transaction and playing around and assume this wallet already is faster than the "old" Spinner but should I use this or the other next week on my Bitcoin Conference? Spinner sometimes fails to connect, Mycelium might eat my coins life on stage?

ɃɃ
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 07:57:28 PM

I just sent 2mɃ to the address visible in your market screenshot. Hope you received my test payment. I don't particularly like that I have to enter the address first, as in this particular case I only wanted to see how mɃ work in the send screen. I sent you 2mɃ rather than 1 to make sure I don't send you 1Ƀ for some stupid bug that missed the "m" in mɃ.
Other cases might be that I wait for the other to bring up his QR code and meanwhile enter the amount (and the label for the address to come. Yes, I want to be able to lable in the send screen optionally).

ɃɃ
apetersson

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 08:37:45 PM

uh-oh. i am not sure if i kept that backup in the dozends of tests i ran. those coins might be destroyed now. i will definitely update the screenshots with valid addresses, who knows
apetersson

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 09:10:04 PM

The issues you are adressing are very valuable. I will put those into our internal issue tracker.

Importing vanity addresses is definitely possible and we should already be compatible with almost all paper wallets.

Regarding the backend servers: Currently it is not really feasable to set up such a server by yourself. The servers are constantly evolving and we are using them not only for the wallet, but also for other upcoming projects. It connects to many regular nodes in the Bitcoin P2P network and provides convinience methods for this app+ others as well. In this first release we use hardcoded dns names, and we check for a specific SSL fingerprint (sorry, Iran..) The Mycelium Bitcoin Wallet connects exclusively to these servers, chosing them randomly. (this is all documented in the source) If you want to migrate from our app somewhere else i am sure you can import the key somehow.

If you use it on the conference, just make sure the internet is working. This is the reason for half of the bitcoin user interaction failures. We will even address this in the future, but for now internet access is required.

also, can you elaborate on the interaction of qr code/label/amount
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 09:25:11 PM

Regarding the backend servers: Currently it is not really feasable to set up such a server by yourself. The servers are constantly evolving and we are using them not only for the wallet, but also for other upcoming projects. It connects to many regular nodes in the Bitcoin P2P network and provides convinience methods for this app+ others as well. In this first release we use hardcoded dns names, and we check for a specific SSL fingerprint (sorry, Iran..) The Mycelium Bitcoin Wallet connects exclusively to these servers, chosing them randomly. (this is all documented in the source) If you want to migrate from our app somewhere else i am sure you can import the key somehow.

"sorry, Iran.."? I have friends with bitcoins in Iran. What are the implications for them?

Ist the server API easy to replicate for the needs of Mycelium? Will such a (boiled down) server also be open source from your team?

I know that with the private keys at hands, there is no vendor lock-in, still it would be cool if you were rather open than closed. It's not your obligation to provide an open source server of course. This will come anyways.

ɃɃ
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  

Jump to: