Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:30:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BitcoinSpinner  (Read 55413 times)
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 2112

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 02:56:59 AM

If mycelium is open source like Bitcoinspinner, there's always the option to compile a version without the fee. for the small fee it cost me though, not worth the effort.

And I'm not sure but possibly you could export the keys and send using a different client?

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 11:18:51 AM
Last edit: August 20, 2013, 02:41:36 PM by molecular

Wallet PIN is entered a lot less frequently. My one is longer, too and I take good care that noone watches (the whole sequence) when I enter it.

Please note that the pin protects you from a kid grabbing your smartphone while on the toilet. it can not protect against a dedicated attacked with physical access to the phone, or root-level malware, any 6-digit pin would be cracked in minutes anyways. what could work is server side pin support with 2-of-3 multisig. that could in fact help against root level malware (but we are not there yet)

therefore, the pin does NOT encrypt your private keys it is just a UI measure.

I'm aware of that. The kid some dude in a bar grabbing my phone is a real possibility and I want to protect against that. Don't want to have to be paranoid about my phone all the time.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Hfleer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 08:26:03 AM

I have Mycelium, but don't really use it much.  Some of the other ones for android I found lacking.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 03:48:13 PM

Back to the autofocusing (non)issue. The last few updates presumably include the autofocus fixes, however - my Note was still not able to focus. Then I went to the settings and turned the continuous autofocusing off - and voilà! - the continous autofocus works, and my Note can scan small, close-up QR codes!

I just love the European absurdist sense of humor. Now I can laugh on my way to the coffee shop, and finally start using Mycelium to pay there.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
apetersson

Activity: 668

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 09:02:50 PM

some cameras apparently have troubles switching between macro mode and normal mode. for qr code scanning you normally need normal mode. especially the Nexus 4. turning off this feature disables macro mode.
on the N4 we already detect this and set autofocus to false. if you provide us with the exact Build.MODEL and other constants we could put this on the "blacklist" too.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2013, 09:21:18 PM

Ooooooh, Android Bitcoin Wallet just announced they're working on offline transaction sending via bluetooth (create transaction, sign, and transmit over bluetooth to the other phone, which can then broadcast to the web). You guys better step it up!  Grin

(granted their wallet doesn't even do private/public key management yet, and they keep insisting it's a bad idea, despite using just one key for all transactions, anyway)
jago25_98

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2013, 11:17:29 AM

In mycelium,
 how do you backup your encrypted wallet.dat?

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
VeeMiner

Activity: 752
Merit: 500

bitcoin hodler

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 11:29:36 AM

In mycelium,

I just backed up the private key to the SD card
niko

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 02:56:03 PM

In mycelium,
On water skis, how do you pump tires?

ffe

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 03:08:05 PM

In mycelium,
Aww...   Be nice
Jan (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 03:43:11 PM

In mycelium,
Mycelium works differently then Bitcoin-QT in many ways. One of which is that it has no wallet.dat file.

For backup there are 3 basic approaches, all of which is done in the Keys & Addresses view. Long clicking on a key lets you choose Export, which allows you to:

• 1. Click "Show QR-code", which displays a QR-code that contains you private key in SIPA format. You can scan that with another Mycelium wallet instance to import it, or take a picture with a camera, and later print it out, or keep it on the SD card in a safe place.
  • 2. Same as above, but additionally click "Copy Private Key to Clipboard". The SIPA formatted private key will go to the clipboard as text, and from there you can use it with other apps. Please note that other apps on your device have access to it, so be careful.
  • 3. Click "External Storage". If your device has an SD-card which contains a folder called "mycelium-export" this will export a JPG file to it, which contains the bitcoin address and private key as strings and QR-codes. From there you can print it out directly on a printer that accepts SD cards. Here is a demo that shows how it is done. This is what I always do.

If you use Mycelium for large amounts I suggest that you use a dedicated device for optimal security. Personally I use an old second hand Android 2.2, which I got for free, and which I nuked to factory defaults, installed cyanogenmod, no SIM, and only installed mycelium. I keep the device in my safe along with paper backups. Whenever I want to "load up" my spending wallet on my daily phone I use the Cold Storage feature. There is a nice demo of it here.

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 03:46:32 PM

Ooooooh, Android Bitcoin Wallet just announced they're working on offline transaction sending via bluetooth (create transaction, sign, and transmit over bluetooth to the other phone, which can then broadcast to the web). You guys better step it up!  Grin

(granted their wallet doesn't even do private/public key management yet, and they keep insisting it's a bad idea, despite using just one key for all transactions, anyway)
Hey Rassah.. always pushing the envelope  Grin
That is an interesting feature. Andreas and I discussed today, and we like it. We do however have some other awesome features in the pipe-line.
We will revisit "bluetooth bridging" going forward.

niko

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 04:04:00 PM

In mycelium,
Aww...   Be nice
I was nice... it was a zen koan!

niko

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 04:09:34 PM

In mycelium,
Mycelium works differently then Bitcoin-QT in many ways. One of which is that it has no wallet.dat file.

For backup there are 3 basic approaches, all of which is done in the Keys & Addresses view. Long clicking on a key lets you choose Export, which allows you to:

• 1. Click "Show QR-code", which displays a QR-code that contains you private key in SIPA format. You can scan that with another Mycelium wallet instance to import it, or take a picture with a camera, and later print it out, or keep it on the SD card in a safe place.
  • 2. Same as above, but additionally click "Copy Private Key to Clipboard". The SIPA formatted private key will go to the clipboard as text, and from there you can use it with other apps. Please note that other apps on your device have access to it, so be careful.
  • 3. Click "External Storage". If your device has an SD-card which contains a folder called "mycelium-export" this will export a JPG file to it, which contains the bitcoin address and private key as strings and QR-codes. From there you can print it out directly on a printer that accepts SD cards. Here is a demo that shows how it is done. This is what I always do.

If you use Mycelium for large amounts I suggest that you use a dedicated device for optimal security. Personally I use an old second hand Android 2.2, which I got for free, and which I nuked to factory defaults, installed cyanogenmod, no SIM, and only installed mycelium. I keep the device in my safe along with paper backups. Whenever I want to "load up" my spending wallet on my daily phone I use the Cold Storage feature. There is a nice demo of it here.
I presume the above warning about the clipboard access also applies to a jpg exported to the SD card...?

Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 04:43:45 PM

In mycelium,

I presume the above warning about the clipboard access also applies to a jpg exported to the SD card...?
Yes.

giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2013, 09:20:33 PM

Not sure if this got clear here:
Of course other apps can access the clipboard and if they request it in the manifest (the user gets warned about that) also to the sdcard.
Users should be aware that it is as easy as 3 lines of code to get any app to wake up whenever anybody puts anything into the clipboard.
Such an app can then parse and granted it has internet access, send the private key home.

I guess watching a folder on the sdcard is about as trivial.

Conclusion: This will happen. Some greedy guy at rovio or whatever app that has millions of users will put these 3 lines there and enjoy some extra money. Take this serious and follow Jan's advice to not trust hundreds of apps with your money. It's bad enough that any core dev at google could essentially do the same but I guess the Q&A is quite tight there. Expect it to happen there, too and don't put all into one basket (note to myself).

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
jago25_98

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2013, 11:45:43 PM

Not sure if this got clear here:
Of course other apps can access the clipboard and if they request it in the manifest (the user gets warned about that) also to the sdcard.
Users should be aware that it is as easy as 3 lines of code to get any app to wake up whenever anybody puts anything into the clipboard.
Such an app can then parse and granted it has internet access, send the private key home.

I guess watching a folder on the sdcard is about as trivial.

Conclusion: This will happen. Some greedy guy at rovio or whatever app that has millions of users will put these 3 lines there and enjoy some extra money. Take this serious and follow Jan's advice to not trust hundreds of apps with your money. It's bad enough that any core dev at google could essentially do the same but I guess the Q&A is quite tight there. Expect it to happen there, too and don't put all into one basket (note to myself).

Agreed. I hope it can be improved. It is extremely easy to write an closed source app to grab the file off the sdcard. I would prefer a normal encrypted wallet.dat backup.
Of course it could be argued that it's futile to have decent security without a permissions monitoring system running or using a separate system like an old phone.
I for one don't run many different apps. I used to use permissions controlling apps but it was a lot of work to keep on top of so when the built in permissions in the new Android came out I've been using that... but it only has some protections and it doesn't help against this problem.

I might instead try to take a photo with something but it seems a bit of an odd thing to do.

Coinsidently, I wonder how many linux Bitcoin users have their browser as the same user as their electrum binary... and what Chrome extensions they are running.

Security is still a big stumbling block for Bitcoin. All it takes is for someone to lose $10 and they might say "I'm never using that again!"

Cold storage is fine but I'm really hoping apps like BitcoinSpinner and Electrum and make it easier for people.

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
jago25_98

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2013, 11:47:26 PM

In mycelium,

I just backed up the private key to the SD card

Every app on your phone has access to that, it's unencrypted and if it goes missing you're probably going to find it impossible to trace. Trust me... from someone who's lost >600BTC in various ways.

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2013, 12:25:03 AM

Sorry if I missed it, but how does Mycelium calculate Bitcoin price, and is there some standard that everyone uses now that Gox got Goxed?
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 05:58:55 AM

Sorry if I missed it, but how does Mycelium calculate Bitcoin price, and is there some standard that everyone uses now that Gox got Goxed?
If you have chosen USD as your local currency the market price is determined by the latest trade on Bitstamp and MtGox and calculating the weighted average according to trade volume. For the other currencies we currently only use MtGox (Bitstamp only trades in USD). This is obviously not optimal, especially given the current circumstances. We actually happened to discuss this yesterday, and I am delighted to tell that Peter Šurda (Bitcoin blogger and economist) has joined our team in Vienna Wink

Here is our current thinking:
1. Let the user choose which exchange to base the price on. Initially available choices would be Bitstamp and MtGox. We can expand the list as we go (the default will probably be Bitstamp)
2. Take the USD price of the selected exchange. (It occurs to me that USD is the only currency with any significant volume on MtGox, and the only currency traded on Bitstamp.)
3. Convert the USD price to the selected local currency using official public foreign exchange rates.
4. Display that price on the main view including the chosen exchange "1 BTC~103 USD (Bitstamp)"

Displaying the name of the exchange is important in situations where two users are doing an in-person trade, as this helps them understand why they see different prices.

We are going to discuss this further internally today, and if you have any suggestions we'd love to hear them. It will take a week or two before we have an update ready.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  

Jump to: