Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 12:29:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BitcoinSpinner  (Read 55412 times)
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 11:44:07 AM

Is it possible to make the screens zoomable?  This is especially needed for transaction page.  Also rotation of the screens would be consistent with Android functionality.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 12:06:42 PM

Just noticed in settings the"transaction history size" option.

What is this exactly and what am I to enter into the field?  A number or word?
Jan (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1043

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 03:06:43 PM

The latest version is 0.4.5b
It is now... yesterday it wasn't.  However, I've just upgraded again and it now shows "received with".

I don't know if you're a native English speaker or not, but the phrasing is a little weird.  "with" isn't the right preposition.  "to" or "by" would be better (i think "by" in this case).  "with" is to describe the thing that did the receiving, not the destination.  So "received with bitcoinspinner" might be reasonable but "received with <bitcoin address>" is a bit off.

It's not a major issue; just in case you care; and just in case the above is helpful.
The Android market on your device caches app information, and sometimes it takes quite some time before new versions trickles all the way out. I believe that restarting your device is a cure for this, but in general you don't want to reboot your device whenever  you update an app.

I am not a native English speaker, and the phrase may be weird. However, I am leaning against the satoshi client, which does it the same way. Anyway, going forward I will revisit the transaction history and see if I can render it differently, and especially allowing the user to click on a record and see some more details.

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 03:27:46 PM

Is it possible to make the screens zoomable?  This is especially needed for transaction page.  Also rotation of the screens would be consistent with Android functionality.
There is definitely room for improvement. I'll have to look into the transaction history and see what can be done.

The size option allows you to specify how many records you would like to fetch from the server. This allows you to conserve how much bandwidth should use whenever opening the transaction history. The default, which is 15 obviously needs to be displayed. I'll fix that.

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 04:53:57 PM

There is definitely room for improvement. I'll have to look into the transaction history and see what can be done.

The size option allows you to specify how many records you would like to fetch from the server. This allows you to conserve how much bandwidth should use whenever opening the transaction history. The default, which is 15 obviously needs to be displayed. I'll fix that.

as i think the print size of the tx history is too small, i obviously was very confused by the "transaction history size" option since it doesn't spell it out.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2012, 04:58:06 PM

I'm sure I missed this but when are you going to come out with an iPhone version?
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 05:03:24 PM

I'm sure I missed this but when are you going to come out with an iPhone version?
Good question. I wish I could say that it is just around the corner, but I can't. When I started the BCCAPI (pure core Java) I had no experience with Android. I was lucky that someone did the initial steps for BitcoinSpinner on top of that API, so that I had something to work on.
For an iPhone app I'd have to reimplement the API in a C-like language. This is however not the biggest hurdle. I'll have to do the investment of learnng yet another framework, and right now I simply cannot do this. You know, family, job etc.

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 07:12:08 PM

Good question. I wish I could say that it is just around the corner, but I can't. When I started the BCCAPI (pure core Java) I had no experience with Android. I was lucky that someone did the initial steps for BitcoinSpinner on top of that API, so that I had something to work on.
For an iPhone app I'd have to reimplement the API in a C-like language. This is however not the biggest hurdle. I'll have to do the investment of learnng yet another framework, and right now I simply cannot do this. You know, family, job etc.

yeah, i know.  you've done a great job so far.

its just that everyone i know owns an iPhone and it'll be the day when i can demo moving btc from my Android to their iPhone and then back again. Cheesy
minimalB
Donator

Activity: 674
Merit: 522

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 08:40:22 PM

iOS BitcoinSpinner would be a true hit! There's nothing like BitcoinSpinner on iOS platform ATM.

Cheers!
realnowhereman

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 08:43:33 PM

I think there is a blockchain.info app being developed for ios.

It works on a similar principal to bitcoinspinner so might do until a bccapi ios app appears.

1AAZ4xBHbiCr96nsZJ8jtPkSzsg1CqhwDa
ChocolateSoda

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 04, 2012, 08:43:00 AM

I think I have noticed a bug, either in the BCCAPI or in BitcoinSpinner.

Yesterday, I saw my balance take a ~.60 BTC hike. I looked at my balance on blockexplorer which -should- be accurate since BitcoinSpinner doesn't do the "send random change" thing.

Well, I looked at it and it confirmed my suspicions; my balance was indeed lower on the blockchain than in the wallet. So I tried an experiment... I put BitcoinSpinner on a friend's phone, and sent most of my entire balance to that address. (About 2 BTC).

Approximately 40 minutes later and there is still no mention of the transaction; neither blockexplorer nor unconfirmed transactions shows anything with my address or my friend's. BitcoinSpinner shows the transaction as still "unconfirmed" which i believe means that it has not even received one confirmation.

Now, I know for a fact since it seems the transaction hasn't even been broadcast, that the bitcoins still technically belong to the private key and I could pull out the private key, but I'm looking a bit deeper than 2 BTC here. There has to be something wrong with either the client or the API... or at the very least, something obvious is just not plainly showing itself in this client.

Could the transaction history of BitcoinSpinner be amended to show a number of confirmations? It would be greatly useful in my diagnostics here.
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2012, 12:35:00 PM

Yeah, seems that you uncovered a bug on the server side. Tell me your bitcoin address and I'll take a close look.

fimp

Activity: 304
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2012, 12:41:21 PM

BitcoinSpinner is great, good work!

I think one really simple change would make the app look much better and more professional though: Change that orange color to black or light grey. =)

More work could certainly be done on the GUI at some point, but I believe the above change carry a large improvement in looks for almost no effort.

ChocolateSoda

Activity: 18

View Profile
February 04, 2012, 03:35:24 PM

Yeah, seems that you uncovered a bug on the server side. Tell me your bitcoin address and I'll take a close look.

Sending a PM.
hgmichna

Activity: 695
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 06, 2012, 09:43:47 AM

Just confirming that there is a pure web browser wallet at:

http://blockchain.info/wallet

I guess this works on an iPhone.

Of course I would prefer a BitcoinSpinner version for the iPhone, but then I believe that bitcoin users are predominantly Android users anyway. Trying to make an iPhone user use bitcoins may be futile. The whole idea of bitcoin runs counter to a centrally controlled, walled smartphone garden.  Smiley
horgh

Activity: 20

View Profile
February 06, 2012, 11:13:29 AM

"Coins are on their way to you"... And they never arrive. It says transactions are unconfirmed, but they are not; for example https://www.blockchain.info/tx-index/15213369/b25e3d8fe485c4ee99d38cc801e158abb2c6632bba72cd3c1cd480c20de7161c is already confirmed many times, but is not shown on Spinner. I'm using Galaxy Nexus, rooted device with 4.0.2 yakjuxw firmware.
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 06, 2012, 12:49:41 PM

"Coins are on their way to you"... And they never arrive. It says transactions are unconfirmed, but they are not; for example https://www.blockchain.info/tx-index/15213369/b25e3d8fe485c4ee99d38cc801e158abb2c6632bba72cd3c1cd480c20de7161c is already confirmed many times, but is not shown on Spinner. I'm using Galaxy Nexus, rooted device with 4.0.2 yakjuxw firmware.
There has been a glitch in the block chain download on the server side, which caused processing of incoming transactions to freeze. I have re-scanned the block chain and everything should work as expected. I'll investigate what caused the freeze to happen.

Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 06, 2012, 02:41:51 PM

BitcoinSpinner is great, good work!

I think one really simple change would make the app look much better and more professional though: Change that orange color to black or light grey. =)

More work could certainly be done on the GUI at some point, but I believe the above change carry a large improvement in looks for almost no effort.
You are right. this does look much nicer. So which one should it be, black or white?

hgmichna

Activity: 695
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 06, 2012, 03:00:20 PM

Most of us are used to black text on a white background. Books, this forum, wherever you look.

I'm sure some people would like to have the choice, a color picker, whatever. Smiley
horgh

Activity: 20

View Profile
February 07, 2012, 08:23:36 AM

There has been a glitch in the block chain download on the server side, which caused processing of incoming transactions to freeze. I have re-scanned the block chain and everything should work as expected. I'll investigate what caused the freeze to happen.

Yes, everything works now.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  

Jump to: