Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:33:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BitcoinSpinner  (Read 55413 times)
Jan (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 12, 2012, 12:42:46 PM

finally, newest version runs on 2.1. Many thanks, Jan!

this is awesome.

some remarks:
  • my screen is 320x240. is there anything below "transaction history" button on main screen? the button is 2/3 visible and no scrollbar appears
  • on the "send bitcoins" page, there is a scrollbar (generally it's good to have one), but if you can save one pixel somewhere, it would disappear, so that might be a slight beautification for small screens
  • how to get a new receiving address?

thanks again for taking the effort to "port" to android 2.1

Thanks for the feedback.
The only thing under the 'transaction history' button is a 'use at your own risk' notice. I'll test on an emulator with 320x240 resolution and see if I can make it all fit and avoid scrollbars.

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jago25_98

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2012, 11:47:54 PM

I love the simplicity.

One thing though,

I emailed the private key to myself because at the time I didn't know how to email the QR code. However, if I use that private key to try to generate a QR code it won't restore.

I guess the QU backup codes contain more than just the private key.

Is there an online wallet that can import a private key? It's a small amount just for testing

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 07:27:20 AM

I love the simplicity.

One thing though,

I emailed the private key to myself because at the time I didn't know how to email the QR code. However, if I use that private key to try to generate a QR code it won't restore.

I guess the QU backup codes contain more than just the private key.

Is there an online wallet that can import a private key? It's a small amount just for testing

There was a bug with the 'copy to clipboard' button that caused your Bitcoin address to be copied instead of your backup code or private key (the QR code however is correct).
This has been fixed in the latest release 0.5.3b.

The backup/restore QR code is not your private key, but contains information on how to derive your private key.

The private key that you can export under advanced settings allows you to evacuate from BitcoinSpinner. It is not recommended that you use this to experiment with spending from two wallets having the same keys at the same time, as it may cause accidental double spend attempts that may result in inconsistencies. The private key is in SIPA format and can be imported at for instance Blockchain.info and I guess also mtgox and armory for sure.

jago25_98

Activity: 900

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2012, 09:54:36 PM

Cheers,  it's a great piece of software.

I think we need to document how to send funds easily from desktop to spinner. For me I copied the address to the Android clipboard and emailed it. Can it be shared via the android sharing thing. This ought to be written down somewhere perhaps. This is probably better than using desktop/laptop webcam as I guess QR code reader aren't common on the desktop.. could be a webbased one I suppose.

The other thing I guess is that some websites like BitcoinTorrentz don't generate a QR code for you to pay them with. I wonder the best way to generate a QR code off that.

Why do all this? Well, perhaps it's easier to keep a phone secure than a desktop and I kind of like the QR code thing and I love BitcoinSpinner that much!

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 10:01:06 AM

I got that startup bug again. Launching BS I get a black screen with just the title bar. Pressing the 'back' button on my phone takes me to the main screen and then everything seems to work. So its really not a big issue, just a minor inconvenience. Using V0.5.3b

ffe

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 22, 2012, 12:04:20 AM

Just checking. Bought a new phone and transferred my wallet nicely - then uninstalled BitcoinSpinner from the old phone. That gets rid of all copies of the secret key in the old phone, correct?
Tuxavant

Activity: 784

Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2012, 01:29:27 PM

Just checking. Bought a new phone and transferred my wallet nicely - then uninstalled BitcoinSpinner from the old phone. That gets rid of all copies of the secret key in the old phone, correct?

Short of literally wiping the phones storage system, there's always a chance of the key being left behind. I'd spend the money to a new wallet.

Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 02:20:53 PM

Cheers,  it's a great piece of software.

I think we need to document how to send funds easily from desktop to spinner. For me I copied the address to the Android clipboard and emailed it. Can it be shared via the android sharing thing. This ought to be written down somewhere perhaps. This is probably better than using desktop/laptop webcam as I guess QR code reader aren't common on the desktop.. could be a webbased one I suppose.

You can click the textual address on the main screen and share using various methods.
I have a 'Start up tip' on my list of features, which optionally shows you a BitcoinSpinner tip (from a list of tips) on startup. This would be a natural place to add this hint.

The other thing I guess is that some websites like BitcoinTorrentz don't generate a QR code for you to pay them with. I wonder the best way to generate a QR code off that.
In general I think that Bitcoin on mobile devices is going to be big, and we need to educate sites that support Bitcoin to show QR codes. Another alternative is to let the site use a bitcoin URI, which both MultiBit, Android Bitcoin Wallet, and BitcoinSpinner accepts.
If you add this to your web-page you can click on them and launch your wallet:
Code:
<a href="bitcoin:1Bmc9QwQgmuNWTxo5PjzPWeSF4d3aHx6hH?amount=1.00">1Bmc9QwQgmuNWTxo5PjzPWeSF4d3aHx6hH</a>

Why do all this? Well, perhaps it's easier to keep a phone secure than a desktop and I kind of like the QR code thing and I love BitcoinSpinner that much!

I totally agree. The application model used by both Android and iPhone is much more secure that your standard desktop computer. Apps are sandboxed and cannot touch each others "private parts"

Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 02:22:06 PM

I got that startup bug again. Launching BS I get a black screen with just the title bar. Pressing the 'back' button on my phone takes me to the main screen and then everything seems to work. So its really not a big issue, just a minor inconvenience. Using V0.5.3b
While this is a minor issue, I do have it on my radar. However, I have not been able to reproduce it on my own devices.

Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 02:34:15 PM

Short of literally wiping the phones storage system, there's always a chance of the key being left behind. I'd spend the money to a new wallet.
Both Android and iPhone have in my opinion a much more secure application model than ordinary desktop computers. Applications are sandboxed, and only share stuff that is explicitly declared. This is what allows you to install a bunch of crap games and remove them again, without risking that they clutter your device with useless stuff. Compare this with for instance Windows, where you may get all sorts of strange behavior over time and a messed up registry

BitcoinSpinner uses app-private storage for all its data (including private keys). Whenever you delete the BS from your device all data is gone along with the sandbox it lived in.

ffe

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 08:26:15 PM

Both Android and iPhone have in my opinion a much more secure application model than ordinary desktop computers. Applications are sandboxed, and only share stuff that is explicitly declared. This is what allows you to install a bunch of crap games and remove them again, without risking that they clutter your device with useless stuff. Compare this with for instance Windows, where you may get all sorts of strange behavior over time and a messed up registry

BitcoinSpinner uses app-private storage for all its data (including private keys). Whenever you delete the BS from your device all data is gone along with the sandbox it lived in.

Thanks Jan
hgmichna

Activity: 695

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 06:28:15 AM

The application model used by both Android and iPhone is much more secure that your standard desktop computer. Apps are sandboxed and cannot touch each others "private parts"
While this is true in theory, smartphones can still not be regarded entirely secure by design. On many Android phones it is easy to obtain root access, which breaks all security, if the user can be tricked into allowing it. Malware could and will go that way.

My recommendation is either to use a cheap, old smartphone with only BitcoinSpinner and a few other trusted programs on it, or use your normal smartphone, but be extremely hesitant and vigilant when it comes to installing other software.
istar

Activity: 523

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 09:15:57 PM

Just one thing thats really missing.

When sending funds, you can only select how many Bitcoins.

I often find myself wanting to send Bitcoins of a certain amount of value.

But this is very difficult, I have to exit the app and calculate the value and than enter the amount of Bitcoins to send.

If I could just select.

Send Bitcoins
A with a total value of X in currency y.
B N number of Bitcoins.

This would be a huge improvement since now I could go to a shop
ask them to accept Bitcoins.
And easily select to send the correct amount at once.

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2012, 04:18:10 PM

Just one thing thats really missing.

When sending funds, you can only select how many Bitcoins.

I often find myself wanting to send Bitcoins of a certain amount of value.

But this is very difficult, I have to exit the app and calculate the value and than enter the amount of Bitcoins to send.

If I could just select.

Send Bitcoins
A with a total value of X in currency y.
B N number of Bitcoins.

This would be a huge improvement since now I could go to a shop
ask them to accept Bitcoins.
And easily select to send the correct amount at once.
+100

This feature is essentially missing from every Bitcoin wallet out there. You have to check bitcoincharts or some other site every time and use a calculator if you want to pay a certain fiat amount to a person. It sucks.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
realnowhereman

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 10:59:04 PM

This feature is essentially missing from every Bitcoin wallet out there. You have to check bitcoincharts or some other site every time and use a calculator if you want to pay a certain fiat amount to a person. It sucks.

... except blockchain.info's android (and I guess iPhone) wallet.

It's got full currency conversion support.

1AAZ4xBHbiCr96nsZJ8jtPkSzsg1CqhwDa
unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 07:09:06 AM

Maybe it's because bitcoin was designed to be a currency on its own.

When you receive your bank statement, does it convert your dollars in euros?
hgmichna

Activity: 695

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 07:49:42 AM

I thought the same, but bitcoin is still new and has to cater to today's needs.

By the way, a good bank account management system does this. The Swiss are quite good at it. Choose your desired currency, and everything can be converted on your statements, at least on the electronic ones.
unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 07:51:51 AM

You're right, right now  bitcoin has the greatest value as a payment system, not a currency. We have to consider this.
realnowhereman

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 09:02:13 AM

No one is asking bitcoin the protocol or currency to change in the slightest.  Simply as a convenience for the user; to have wallet apps include a currency calculator so they don't have to go to a website and dig out a calculator.

And incidentally: given that bitcoin is an international currency without borders, and that it hasn't yet displaced every other national currency in existence, it seems a little arrogant to assume that our "bitcoin bank statement" shouldn't be able to convert to and from dollars, euros, rubles, gold or anything else the user finds convenient for measuring value.

I wonder: have you ever actually used bitcoins for anything?  My friend and I settle our small debts to each other with bitcoins.  I paid a restaurant bill in GBP and he paid me back in BTC, while we were sat at the table.  Your idea is that we should get the restaurant to quote us in bitcoins is it?

1AAZ4xBHbiCr96nsZJ8jtPkSzsg1CqhwDa
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 09:31:18 AM

I agree that we need this, and will see if it can be added without cluttering up the UI

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  

Jump to: