Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:02:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 [1378] 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667371 times)
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 02:35:50 PM

I support cryptodromeda here. I think it would be way better if you just took a name without any affliation with XMR or Monero in it. What's wrong with choosing a random user name, making a new handle and just continue what you are doing? Like cryptodromeda says, no one from the outside knows you are not affliated with the core team. I really appreciate your work, but doing it without any form of XMR/Monero in your handle would be way better.

@cryptodromeda, for what it's worth, I've raised this issue before if I recall correctly and some others on the Monero subreddit have as well.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
XMRpromotions

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 02:46:52 PM
Last edit: November 05, 2015, 03:00:44 PM by XMRpromotions

I support cryptodromeda here. I think it would be way better if you just took a name without any affliation with XMR or Monero in it. What's wrong with choosing a random user name, making a new handle and just continue what you are doing? Like cryptodromeda says, no one from the outside knows you are not affliated with the core team. I really appreciate your work, but doing it without any form of XMR/Monero in your handle would be way better.

@cryptodromeda, for what it's worth, I've raised this issue before if I recall correctly and some others on the Monero subreddit have as well.

I don't think the issue is really bitcointalk or reddit (where it would not be a big deal if I changed my name). The issue is with Twitter where I cannot change my existing handle (read my above comment on handle vs usernmame change rules), nor can I change my existing email address where I already have a lot of existing correspondence happening with potential merchants.

My goal is to help Monero not debate my Twitter handle.  If there is a clear consensus on the https://forum.getmonero.org/ thread I just started, then I will carefully consider the best course of action. There have been many examples already proving that I listen to community feedback. Look at my updated signature below. I now use my signature link to the fluffypony Bitcoinference speech instead of my Twitter feed.

For the record I can't recall anyone from the core team ever objecting to my Twitter handle. https://twitter.com/monerocurrency retweets me frequently. Lets stop pretending that there is some clear consensus that my Twitter handle is inappropriate and take the discussion here: https://forum.getmonero.org/20/general-discussion/2413/https-twitter-com-xmrpromotions-twitter-handle

Don't buy Monero: https://twitter.com/MoneroPromotion/status/746006420508729344

XMR: 43hPTYyKarCTWyh4ZnMVn8AtFeEmtzTXo3Y6TGGMV26BWonJ4tpR7eP9RkUDYQbvg6LbrnMXWfghddE NGtvKxr7B5oML4qd
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 02:56:46 PM

I don't think the issue is really bitcointalk or reddit (where it would not be a big deal if I changed my name). The issue is with Twitter where I cannot change my existing handle (read my above comment on handle vs usernmame change rules), nor can I change my existing email address where I already have a lot of existing correspondence happening with potential merchants.

My goal is to help Monero not debate my Twitter handle. Go ahead and start a thread on https://forum.getmonero.org/ if you want so we don't sidetrack this thread any more. If there is a clear consensus on https://forum.getmonero.org/ I will carefully consider the best course of action. There have been many examples already proving that I listen to community feedback. Look at my updated signature below. I now use my signature link to the fluffypony Bitcoinference speech instead of my Twitter feed.

You are correct, it's mostly about your twitter handle, since you are most vocal with that one. Regarding existing correspondence, you could just let them know your new handle and continue the conversation with your new handle? I don't see any issue with that.

All right, I'll start a thread later today to see what others think about it. I personally think creating a new handle/username would be the best course of action.

Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 03:05:03 PM

I don't think there's any reason to change your usernames, XMRpromotions. For one thing, there is no official leadership of Monero that people can really appeal to - sure, there is the "core" development team, but that is a loose organization at best with only two (afaik) publicly known individuals, one of whom has gone on to start a business and has been basically inactive re: Monero for around one year (davidlatapie). For another thing, americanpegasus is (I believe) somewhat sanctioned if not a part of the aforementioned core team, and he says retarded shit all the fucking time. At least you are generally polite (afaik) and not preaching like Monero is the one true way to eternal salvation.
cryptodromeda

Activity: 212
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 03:12:38 PM
Last edit: November 05, 2015, 03:23:51 PM by cryptodromeda

@XMRpromotions

I recommend choosing a normal avatar name, just like the rest of us. It doesn't have to mention XMR.

You said it yourself: Monero is decentralized. It's not a company. So why choose a name and avatar philosophy that promotes Monero as if it were a company? (i.e harmoginous logo/avatar/handle). This just makes XMR look smaller than it really is.

By choosing a regular name (hell, even your own real name if you want) then you're helping Monero by underscoring Monero's decentralized nature. You are selling Monero's strengths.

That's real promotion.

It's a kind of blindness that reason alone cannot cure.
XMRpromotions

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 03:38:12 PM
Last edit: November 05, 2015, 04:19:18 PM by XMRpromotions

I don't think there's any reason to change your usernames, XMRpromotions. For one thing, there is no official leadership of Monero that people can really appeal to - sure, there is the "core" development team, but that is a loose organization at best with only two (afaik) publicly known individuals, one of whom has gone on to start a business and has been basically inactive re: Monero for around one year (davidlatapie). For another thing, americanpegasus is (I believe) somewhat sanctioned if not a part of the aforementioned core team, and he says retarded shit all the fucking time. At least you are generally polite (afaik) and not preaching like Monero is the one true way to eternal salvation.

@XMRpromotions

I recommend choosing a normal avatar name, just like the rest of us. It doesn't have to mention XMR.

You said it yourself: Monero is decentralized. It's not a company. So why choose a name and avatar philosophy that promotes Monero as if it were a company? (i.e harmoginous logo/avatar/handle). This just makes XMR look smaller than it really is.

By choosing a regular name (hell, even your own real name if you want) then you're helping Monero by underscoring Monero's decentralized nature. You are selling Monero's strengths.

That's real promotion.

You are correct, it's mostly about your twitter handle, since you are most vocal with that one. Regarding existing correspondence, you could just let them know your new handle and continue the conversation with your new handle? I don't see any issue with that.

All right, I'll start a thread later today to see what others think about it. I personally think creating a new handle/username would be the best course of action.

Keep it and keep up the promotion everyone is a volunteer.
talk about biting the hand that feeds. Well, not feeds this time per se, but the hand that gives. Here we have a dude that took it upon himself to contribute in any way he can, and this.

Herding cats.

and jwinterms comment. priceless.

I could go through the effort to scroll through all of bitcointalk and find various official sounding bitcoin avatars, but I won't. I also doubt that Bitcoin Jesus got sanctioned by the bitcoin core devs.

some of drama's comments may be valid; i.e., I'm company X and xmrpromotions contact me, so that must be official.

Perhaps a solution is just for xmrpromotions to just include in his cold-emails "hey, im just a dude, monero's cool, and it works, so I do this"

Monero devs have nothing to do with XMRPromotions, as far as I know. Therefore, the "promotion" is happening organically.

I disagree that the community is lazy. Rather, it tends to attract a larger proportion of developer types that are inspired by the technology. They donate their hard work to further the goals laid out by the core devs. Then there are community members like AmericanPegasus, who is genuinely a marketing force of his own. We are like internet construction workers steadily going about our tasks to build the future of money.

I appreciate your opinions (I posted some of them above so I could link back to them in one place from the getmonero forum). Because I don't want to derail this thread any more lets move here:

https://forum.getmonero.org/20/general-discussion/2413/https-twitter-com-xmrpromotions-twitter-handle

XMR: 43hPTYyKarCTWyh4ZnMVn8AtFeEmtzTXo3Y6TGGMV26BWonJ4tpR7eP9RkUDYQbvg6LbrnMXWfghddE NGtvKxr7B5oML4qd
Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 03:55:06 PM

Keep it and keep up the promotion everyone is a volunteer.

GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2015, 04:03:21 PM

talk about biting the hand that feeds. Well, not feeds this time per se, but the hand that gives. Here we have a dude that took it upon himself to contribute in any way he can, and this.

Herding cats.

I could go through the effort to scroll through all of bitcointalk and find various official sounding bitcoin avatars, but I won't. I also doubt that Bitcoin Jesus got sanctioned by the bitcoin core devs.

some of drama's comments may be valid; i.e., I'm company X and xmrpromotions contact me, so that must be official.

Perhaps a solution is just for xmrpromotions to just include in his cold-emails "hey, im just a dude, monero's cool, and it works, so I do this"

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2015, 04:13:19 PM

Monero devs have nothing to do with XMRPromotions, as far as I know. Therefore, the "promotion" is happening organically.

I disagree that the community is lazy. Rather, it tends to attract a larger proportion of developer types that are inspired by the technology. They donate their hard work to further the goals laid out by the core devs. Then there are community members like AmericanPegasus, who is genuinely a marketing force of his own. We are like internet construction workers steadily going about our tasks to build the future of money.

Not gonna lie; this is what my brain's image search returned for "internet construction workers."   Cheesy

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
cryptodromeda

Activity: 212

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 04:29:54 PM

1. Twitter usernames can be changed, but handles (https://twitter.com/XMRpromotions) cannot. If I could go back in time I might have chosen XMRenthusiast or something similar. Now I am worried about the impact of having a handle and username that do not match. Would a username of XMRenthusiast really help anything if my handle remains https://twitter.com/XMRpromotions?

None of this matters. Just simply set up a new account.

2. I have a lot of existing correspondence with prospective merchants both on Twitter and by email.

That's fine. Continue conversing with existing correspondence on the old accounts and engage new merchants with new accounts.

3. If the community is clear on the issue, I don't mind not changing XMRPromotions (bitcointalk) or MoneroPromotions (Reddit). I do mind creating a brand new Twitter and or email account and explaining to prospective merchants (some of which I think are close to making the decision to add us) why they need to change how we already communicate.

As above. You don't have to change the way you deal with anyone. Just use a new account from this point onwards. This really shouldn't be that complicated to explain.

4. I have never claimed to be a Monero developer or speak on behalf of the Monero community in any official capacity.

No-one's suggesting you have. What's at issue here is to what extent you are perceived as being associated with Monero developers by the people you are contacting, and thus any auto-toxic consequences that this might have. I've spent many many years working within the sphere of PR and branding, with a pro-amateur interest in memetics, neurolinguistic programming and subliminal advertising. Right now, whether you realise it or not, you are engaging in a flawed autotoxic promotional strategy, and the possibility that this can be mistaken as the official voice of Monero is a weakness that the Monero core should take seriously.

This is something you are either aware of, in which case you're a very clever troll, or you're not aware of, in which case you're a very incompetent promoter.

The situation is further complicated by the fact that you're seemingly a "nice guy", which makes confrontation all the more harder. Perhaps people around here are a little too "wet behind the ears" to raise the issue, or maybe it's because we've been fighting obvious trolls for the past 18 months that makes confronting fellow Monero people all the more harder. Either way, IMO, the problem remains.

5. I am a volunteer. I have never accepted donations and have no plans to do so. If choosing a Twitter handle that does not mention Monero and starting over with 0 followers makes it much harder for me to begin interactions with prospective merchants then I may decide to stop using Twitter.

This is just simply not the case. It is easy to promote XMR in a renegade independent fashion without taking on the form of an official mouthpiece. I do it all the fucking time.

6. I do plan to continue communicating with existing leads even if I start a new Twitter account, but I expect questions will be raised. If the community clearly wants me to choose a new handle I propose that handle choice is voted on and is given time to grow before I mention the change to any of my existing followers. IMHO it would look strange to ask an existing contact to start following a new account with a new name, and close to zero content or followers.

Again, you don't have to ask anyone to change anything.

It's a kind of blindness that reason alone cannot cure.
XMRpromotions

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 04:37:03 PM

snip

That was a long post. As stated above I don't want to pollute this announcement thread any more. Please post your feedback here and I will respond:
https://forum.getmonero.org/20/general-discussion/2413/https-twitter-com-xmrpromotions-twitter-handle

Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4898

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 05:28:39 PM

I have had terrible experiences with SanDisk products over the years.  I bought a SanDisk SSD last year when I built my mining rig and the damn thing started smoking and almost caught fire. Not even 2 days into the build.  Not to mention their SD cards have all been terrible for me.  I've had good success with Kingston SD cards and for SSD Crucial, Samsung and Kingston SSD's have all been solid.

Funny I read this just when I had this in my cart. LOL

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0SG3HA9036&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL110515&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL110515-_-EMC-110515-Index-_-FlashMemory-_-9SIA0SG3HA9036-S1A5C

And the mandatory mixin. That can't be stressed enuf how critical that is for moneros true function as truly fungible digital cash.

It also has a lt of fancy new wallet features. View only wallets is cool. Did luigi integrate he confirm payment received feature? Well, that's also cool but might not be in there. Here's also some magic to make a fresh node sync in 45 mins in an ssd with a good net connection. I assume stability improvements as well, cause I saw someone report that the old bins would only last for 3-5days or something. New head runs forever.

IIRC you said you were setting up a image, could you do this with tails please?

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2015, 06:23:37 PM

I have had terrible experiences with SanDisk products over the years.  I bought a SanDisk SSD last year when I built my mining rig and the damn thing started smoking and almost caught fire. Not even 2 days into the build.  Not to mention their SD cards have all been terrible for me.  I've had good success with Kingston SD cards and for SSD Crucial, Samsung and Kingston SSD's have all been solid.

Funny I read this just when I had this in my cart. LOL

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0SG3HA9036&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL110515&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL110515-_-EMC-110515-Index-_-FlashMemory-_-9SIA0SG3HA9036-S1A5C

And the mandatory mixin. That can't be stressed enuf how critical that is for moneros true function as truly fungible digital cash.

It also has a lt of fancy new wallet features. View only wallets is cool. Did luigi integrate he confirm payment received feature? Well, that's also cool but might not be in there. Here's also some magic to make a fresh node sync in 45 mins in an ssd with a good net connection. I assume stability improvements as well, cause I saw someone report that the old bins would only last for 3-5days or something. New head runs forever.

IIRC you said you were setting up a image, could you do this with tails please?

I will consider it.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
Drhiggins

Activity: 306
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 08:30:03 PM

Thanks for the input guys.  Last night when I was compiling on the 32GB Micro card I was getting a message that the drive was full and out of space. 

cd
cd bitmonero
make -j2 release-arm7

Could be I was doing something wrong.  I guess in the long run it does not matter what Linux version I use so long as it recent version?

I am hoping to get a working model and learn allot about setting these Rasp Pi's up as a node.  If I can get it all worked out then I might consider setting them up and selling them for XMR for anyone not wanting to mess with it.  I'd only charge for the cost of the equipment and not my labor. 

Maybe there is no market for it and some might be interested if they just want to help the network out.  Just and idea.

With most of those rpi linux distributions there is a step where you have to expand the partition to the size of the media after copying the image. Check the installation instructions.

Thanks smooth.  Incorporated that step last night and was compiling again and the damn internet connection went down for an hour.  Damn Time Warner Cable.  So by the time the connection was fixed on their end it was time for sleep.  Will try again tonight.  I was an hour into the compiling too.   

Monerohash.com   U.S. Mining Pool
8XMR

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 01:31:19 AM

@XMRpromotions

That's real promotion.

Nothing wrong with XMRpromotions name. No central Monero authority exist. Do you want I give up 8xmr.com because not official? Right now I have forward to getmonero.org wait before translations. I will not give up my domain. It is not fair for only core team use Monero or XMR name. Anyone free to use. Besides XMRChina, XMRpromotions work hard as anyone help contact Chinese exchanges and Tweet to ask others help.

Put on too many rules and discourage people introducing Monero. I say keep name.

8xmr.com
elrippo
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 05:32:01 AM

Herding cats.

Well,
if i take a look at Monero it is pretty infantile and this goes hand in hand with it´s adoption. I am not aware of a continuous PR campain of Monero lead by the core team. I think, she/he does a great job and i honor her/his efforts to bring Monero to the publicity of the crypto world as i value the work done by the core team.
We are acting as a community here, and every member tries to do his best in what she/he is able to do so. As developers are joining the core DEV team, XMRpromotions is also joining the trustless team of enthusiasts as me for example. Maybe the core team wants to transfer XMRpromotions to the core team and let her/him do the promotion from her/his side in agreement of the whole trustless team/community.
In case of the naming and handle, well as long as the core team is fine with it, i am too and i we should asses the value of the promotion as it is. If someone disagrees hardly, we can discuss about this topic, but then we should find a consensus where someone else, elected by the team/community, does the proactive job of "marketing" Monero.

For Advertisement. PM me to discuss.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4898

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 06:22:20 AM

For what it's worth I thought the consensus was that active promotion of the monero brand would not start until the GUI release. IIRC it was agreed that more harm than good would come pushing a unfinished product as it is easy to taint an opinion with a poor product and never recover that persons support even when the product became viable and fully assessable to the masses. With that being said I think XMRPromotions has shown alot of initiative and as long as he doesn't bring negativity to the brand there really is no reason for him to stop. It is his obligation to clearly present the fact that he is not a official envoy of the brand. I am also of the opinion that this is exactly what should be discussed in this thread and is no way off topic and should not be moved to another thread offsite. I applaud him taking on this onerous task but do think it is premature.

TLDR: As long as he doesn't present himself as a official representative and is not causing harm to the brand then he can do as he wants.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
medusa13

Activity: 453
Merit: 500

hello world

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 06:38:43 PM

when will the testnet fork happen? what do i need to do if i run a testnet node?
i can mine with 0.8.8.6 too if you want  Cheesy

XMR Monero
aerbax

Activity: 201

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2015, 08:24:08 PM

Looks like they're discussing Zerocoin over on Hackernews...and someone mentioned Monero...

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=10516760

dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 12:00:33 AM

when will the testnet fork happen? what do i need to do if i run a testnet node?
i can mine with 0.8.8.6 too if you want  Cheesy

See -> https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/3r9rev/updated_monero_windows_09_beta/cwmra0g

Also, if you want to join I suggest contacting either MoneroMooo or Fluffypony.

Pages: « 1 ... 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 [1378] 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: