Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:43:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 [1386] 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667231 times)
equipoise

Activity: 794
Merit: 1000

Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2015, 01:07:30 PM

//offtopic. I'll delete it if against the rules.

We are raising donations for this campaign. There are already 351$ and 0.0403 BTC in donations for Bojia:
"The 80 years old mother Bojia Bikova was accused of growing hemp by the Bulgarian police, who found a few uprooted sprigs of hemp in her field in the countryside. She was sentenced to pay about $1100 including court taxes. The monthly pension of old mother Bojia is $100. The amount she has to pay is close to the full amount of her pension for the whole year."
You could watch a short video about her case here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqmGkti9uUQ.
I created an XMR address for this campaign. Please support it. If in doubt about the validity of the address, I could ask our admin to add an OpenAlias XMR address to promena.org:
Code:
49bXbjMqAGmQCApWssWKMd9pnMq2AnExkUCrajnAeGM6dsJNagvwCd8VQxVWs3gamMQTxWirG9yrEeKpSocFyTGbH4TEvu4

//offtopic
This may be the first non-governmental organization accepting Monero donations for its campaigns. We added OpenAlias xmr address to promena.org. It seems that the domain registrar is not adding TXT DNS records correctly with their GUI. They are adding "invisible spaces" like the space in the Monero address in bitcointalk (you could see the spaces here - type promena.org and select TXT record: http://manytools.org/network/query-dns-records-online). The result is that you can't add a valid OpenAlias address (or any valid long words TXT record). How many domain registrars are out there which are doing the same?
The domain registrar fixed their bug and the OpenAlias address promena.org is now working for the "Bojia" campaign. My contribution is 20 XMR. I'll make sure the total sum of Monero donations is cited at the end of the campaign and I'm pretty sure a successful campaign will catch some media attention (Bulgarian media are already following the "Bojia" case).

OpenAlias Monero address added to promena.org for the "Bojia" campaign. You could now send XMR to promena.org - there are 107 XMR in donations till now.

Donation of 25 XMR just sent

Great. Thank you! We are at 371$ + 134 XMR + 0.0402 BTC. 12 days left till the end of the campaign.

About me | zRMicroArray - phase 2 - Gene Expression Analysis software | [Weed Like to Talk - Bulgaria] Start a wave of cannabis seminars in Europe | Monero weighted average price stats: moneroprice.i2p
BTC: 1KoCX7TWKVGwqmmFw3CKyUSrKRSStueZar | NMC: NKhYEYpe1Le9MwHrwKsdSm5617J4toVar9 | XMR (Tip me a beer OpenAlias Monero address): tip.changetheworldwork.com
[XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency: 4AyRmUcxzefB5quumzK3HNE4zmCiGc8vhG6fE1oJpGVyVZF7fvDgSpt3MzgLfQ6Q1719xQhmfkM9Z2u NXgDMqYhjJVmc6KX
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
medusa13

Activity: 453
Merit: 500

hello world

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 01:46:34 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLWhU3f0xlc&feature=youtu.be&t=27m14s

i have this idea for long time with monero. its not so important now, but no one can really predict how monero will perform under load. so better we find out.
does anybody know how they do it in bitcoin? do they even have this kind of setup?

would love to help build this up synthetically, maybe so that it can be repeatet without burning too much money all the time. sure we would need help from devs for this, a special fork with premine that we flush again would maybe be best? or are there other ways to do it?

how many nodes? how strong would they need to be with what kind of connection? what about the spammers, how much

all bullshit? good idea? please tell

btw check the very nice question in this video too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLWhU3f0xlc&feature=youtu.be&t=30m51s

the answer is simply: MONERO Cheesy (but no mention at all)

someone should send him an email

XMR Monero
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2015, 01:53:07 PM

i have this idea for long time with monero. its not so important now, but no one can really predict how monero will perform under load. so better we find out.
does anybody know how they do it in bitcoin? do they even have this kind of setup?

would love to help build this up synthetically, maybe so that it can be repeatet without burning too much money all the time. sure we would need help from devs for this, a special fork with premine that we flush again would maybe be best? or are there other ways to do it?

how many nodes? how strong would they need to be with what kind of connection?

totally doable. Monero has a testnet. It would just require getting a bunch of testnet coins, which are really easy to get. I have 10s of thousands! Fluffy's a testnet millionaire.

So you'd just get a bunch of vps all over the world, load up testnet daemons, make scripts to mimic real world activity, and then watch the adaptive blocksize grow.

in essense, we already watched monero perform under load with the block 2610212098473097403232 whatever the hell it is attack. And good for it, because that attack broke monero, and then it was fixed, so yeah. This kind of stuff is useful!

Hah, at 31:60 they talk about privacy.

MONERO!!!! I JUST WANT TO SHOUT MONERO!

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
medusa13

Activity: 453

hello world

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 01:57:35 PM

totally doable. Monero has a testnet. It would just require getting a bunch of testnet coins, which are really easy to get. I have 10s of thousands! Fluffy's a testnet millionaire.

So you'd just get a bunch of vps all over the world, load up testnet daemons, make scripts to mimic real world activity, and then watch the adaptive blocksize grow.

in essense, we already watched monero perform under load with the block 2610212098473097403232 whatever the hell it is attack. And good for it, because that attack broke monero, and then it was fixed, so yeah. This kind of stuff is useful!

Hah, at 31:60 they talk about privacy.

MONERO!!!! I JUST WANT TO SHOUT MONERO!

i somehow think testnet is not the right place to do it..we should not ruin the testnet chain that has (will have?) a hard fork inside and many different kind of transactions with a lot of spam.
the testnet chain is valuable because it has history inside. this helps when testing other stuff. but for load testing we dont need this
but maybe i could be wrong

XMR Monero
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 02:23:04 PM

AMA on Roger Ver's http://forum.bitcoin.com with our core team member Riccardo "fluffypony" Spagni: https://forum.bitcoin.com/ama-ask-me-anything/i-m-riccardo-fluffypony-spagni-of-the-monero-core-team-ask-me-anything-t2872.html

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
myagui
Legendary

Activity: 1154
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 02:47:06 PM

Nice one! I've asked the question that everyone had but never voiced btw (#3), waiting for a reply  Grin

sulfurtank

Activity: 592

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 04:56:16 PM

how many nodes? how strong would they need to be with what kind of connection? what about the spammers, how much

btw check the very nice question in this video too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLWhU3f0xlc&feature=youtu.be&t=30m51s

the answer is simply: MONERO Cheesy (but no mention at all)

someone should send him an email

Judging by all of these agencies jumping on board so briskly, this has been cooking for quite some time now... We should be looking at past moves made by any of the agencies, especially devs and btc companies!
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2015, 03:45:08 PM

Nobody cares about Bitcoin Judas's rump forum (nice Digg button lol) so I'll shovel the Good News over here.

Myagui wrote:
Do you have long term plans concerning your particular collaboration in the Monero project or any other/new initiatives in the pipeline?  (other than MoneroDice & MyMonero)

fluffypony wrote:
Yes - I have several projects up my sleeve that I'm working on. Almost all of them are services for both Monero and Bitcoin, as I don't believe that Bitcoin must fail for Monero to succeed (quite the opposite). A few of these projects are finally nearing completion, so hopefully there will be a few more product launches in the next couple of months!

Cool

jwinterm wrote:

I think I heard someone mention that there wouldn't be any serious work on I2P integration until they (I2P) had a stable release, but looking at their wiki it says "I2P has had a stable release every six to eight weeks." So, does that mean there won't be any integration work until they release I2P v1.0 that is long term stable? Do you have any idea how far out on the horizon that might be?

fluffypony wrote:

The issue wasn't if I2P in general was stable, the Java router is definitely stable enough. The issue was that we didn't want to add Java as a dependency for running Monero, so our focus has been on a C++ implementation of the I2P router. Expect a big announcement on this in the next couple of weeks  Smiley

Shocked

pa_ wrote:

Why use Monero instead of Dash or Zerocoin/Zerocash? Aren't they just as private?

fluffypony wrote:

Whilst not wanting to turn this into a this-currency-vs-that-currency debate, I will answer this, as I think it's important to understand the proverbial lay of the land.

Designing a cryptographically sound solution to a privacy problem is seriously difficult. As Greg Maxwell puts it, "information wants to be free", and the weakness will always be the human element. The more heavily reliant your scheme is on the opsec of participants, the more prone to leaks it will be. Coupled with this is the problem of "thinking adversarially", which is something that goes deeply against our human nature. To illustrate how flawed our human reasoning is when we try to think adversarially: if a Bitcoin node can only connect to 8 peers, how many of those have to be honest for the node to determine which ones are dishonest? As a human you might reason "well, if 4 are honest, and 4 are dishonest but telling the same lie, it can't tell which is honest, so the answer has to be 5". Or maybe you'd reason that dishonest peers will mostly be telling different lies, so if eat least 2 agree then they must be the honest ones...right? The actual answer is 1. It only needs 1 honest peer to be able to determine that the rest are dishonest. This is because it follows the "longest chain with valid PoW" rule, and can rule out all other nodes as offering dishonest chains. Now knowing that most of us are so incapable of designing such an elegant solution, and our minds resort to broken and hacky things like "voting", we should immediately be suspicious of any and all new systems and schemes. This is especially true where they are promising something as sensitive as privacy, and where there is money to be made (pretty much unique to altcoins, no new open-source reverse proxy or database or other project has the potential to make money for its creator).

Dash fails because, as djb describes in this excellent recent article, they have an "attacker economist" approach.

In other words, instead of purposely designing their systems to be cryptographically sound so that the "attacker will definitely fail" or the "attacker will probably fail", they instead (unwittingly?) design it so that "the attacker's expected cost of carrying out an attack exceeds the attacker's expected benefit from doing so." The unfortunate knock-on effect is that such an approach only works like that for a limited time...as the value of the cryptocurrency grows, so does the level of sophistication of the attackers that find it an interesting target. Trying to solve the privacy problems in a way that relies on the honesty and opsec of a small group of individuals is simply privacy theatre, no different from those that claim that Bitcoin is private as long as there's no address reuse.

On the other end of the scale is ZeroCoin, which is about as sophisticated as you can get, and in my opinion represents the future of cryptocurrency systems. In fact, it's sophistication is also its largest problem: the cryptography behind it needs a significant amount of peer review, and and implementation needs a significant amount of vetting, else you may end up with an exploitable bug where someone can double spend, or create a large number of coins, and nobody will be able to see it. In my mind I would need to give it 20-30 years before I could trust it with my livelihood.

Dash  Embarrassed

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4898

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 03:52:18 PM

Hey any of you guys got any trust or opinions on this?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1216479.0

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
primer-
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 05:52:22 PM

Monero bagholders should read this :
https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/3tappe/early_alpha_monerolike_linkable_ring_signatures/

Make sure you read the post by fluffypony :
https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/3tappe/early_alpha_monerolike_linkable_ring_signatures/cx55kp2

Riccardo, you retard.

I'll be dumping my XMR in favour of ETH soon, its been deprecated
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 06:19:39 PM

I'll be dumping my XMR in favour of ETH soon, its been deprecated

As I said on reddit:
since their language is Turing-complete it's obvious they can implement everything that can be implemented in other cryptocurrencies (and generally on any computer), so it's a bit of a non-news per se. The interesting question though is what performance/cost do they pay compared to a "native" solution. This is all about trade-off, and that one might be a painful one.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
primer-
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 06:25:31 PM

As I said on reddit:
since their language is Turing-complete it's obvious they can implement everything that can be implemented in other cryptocurrencies (and generally on any computer), so it's a bit of a non-news per se. The interesting question though is what performance/cost do they pay compared to a "native" solution. This is all about trade-off, and that one might be a painful one.

The only trade-off is that it will be possible to tell the coins went through a mixer at one point in time. Works for me.
Monero can't compete with ETH, I'm not sure bitcoin can either.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 06:35:56 PM

As I said on reddit:

The only trade-off is that it will be possible to tell the coins went through a mixer at one point in time. Works for me.

You forget that fees have to be paid using transparent coins.

Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
primer-
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 06:38:26 PM

As I said on reddit:

Why would that be a problem ? Anyway, do you own research people.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 06:45:43 PM

As I said on reddit:

Because a blockchain observer could see which address paid fees to mix his coins. It should also be noted that it's in early alpha stage, see following quote as well:

# TOTALLY NOT TESTED AND LIKELY BROKEN AT THIS POINT; AWAITING A TEST SUITE

That said, it's an interesting development and it also gives some credibility to the protocol Monero is using.

digicoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 06:46:31 PM

You seems not to be a coder right? I read ETH's source code for XMR-like smart contract. It is so funny although I know it is just a basic code to demonstrate a proof of concept. If you are able to read the source code, you will not be so confident. I know developers are kings because they can say anything that everyone who can not read source code has to believe.
SecretsCoin

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 07:44:59 PM

You seems not to be a coder right? I read ETH's source code for XMR-like smart contract. It is so funny although I know it is just a basic code to demonstrate a proof of concept. If you are able to read the source code, you will not be so confident. I know developers are kings because they can say anything that everyone who can not read source code has to believe.
it does not matter who they are , just enjoy it
newb4now

Activity: 686

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 08:21:33 PM
Last edit: November 22, 2015, 08:35:17 PM by newb4now

New git updates since last time:

- blockchain_export can now create files compatible with NoodleDoodle's fast sync code
- speedup for the one-time database rescan to initialize hard fork into
- database dump utility, intended to detect differences between the several blockchain formats
- a new status command in the daemon, giving more user oriented information
- and random other fixes for DB potential issues, some RPC commands not working properly

Git updates since last time:

- simplewallet can be set to use a different default mixin than 4 (eg, set default-mixin Cool
- more hardfork voting changes: first hard fork will not be voted on, due to complicated issues with alt chains
- block time change from 1 minute to 2 minutes (to take effect at the next fork)
- new show_transfers simplewallet command, to show in/out transactions in a more user friendly way
- more daemon commands now work again on the development branch, using 0MQ

Will there still be a minimum mixin number in the new release? I like the idea of a minimum mixin but what impacts if any will this have on pools and or exchanges that must deal with dust transactions?
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 09:24:39 PM

- blockchain_export can now create files compatible with NoodleDoodle's fast sync code
- database dump utility, intended to detect differences between the several blockchain formats
- and random other fixes for DB potential issues, some RPC commands not working properly

- simplewallet can be set to use a different default mixin than 4 (eg, set default-mixin Cool
- more hardfork voting changes: first hard fork will not be voted on, due to complicated issues with alt chains
- block time change from 1 minute to 2 minutes (to take effect at the next fork)
- new show_transfers simplewallet command, to show in/out transactions in a more user friendly way

Will there still be a minimum mixin number in the new release?

There will be a minimum but it won't be enforced by the network until the fork in the spring.

I like the idea of a minimum mixin but what impacts if any will this have on pools and or exchanges that must deal with dust transactions?

There are various changes to how dust works that should address this. There is also an exception for dust that isn't mixable (but new unmixable dust won't be created, so eventually the exception will disappear from the network as the old dust is used up).
newb4now

Activity: 686

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 09:35:21 PM

Will there still be a minimum mixin number in the new release?

There will be a minimum but it won't be enforced by the network until the fork in the spring.

I like the idea of a minimum mixin but what impacts if any will this have on pools and or exchanges that must deal with dust transactions?

There are various changes to how dust works that should address this. There is also an exception for dust that isn't mixable (but new unmixable dust won't be created, so eventually the exception will disappear from the network as the old dust is used up).

Thank you! Glad to hear we will have both a minimum mixin and a long term solution to the dust problem
Pages: « 1 ... 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 [1386] 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: