Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 09:18:06 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 [1398] 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 ... 2125 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4669605 times)
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 10:14:52 PM

Hi there.

I've built and been running the following on a ubuntu 15.10 VM (12 Mb RAM)  - Win7 Native - with encypted drive, Intel i7-4790k @ 4Ghz - 32GB Ram :

ahh - no svn info equivalent with git - ok - last commit info

Code:
commit 3a4db6346b2b1b4c3e3733d833f338d104f7da95
Merge: 0eb3b66 7f77b23
Author: Riccardo Spagni <ric@spagni.net>
Date:   Sun Dec 13 22:17:07 2015 +0200

Merge pull request #533

7f77b23 posix_daemonizer: only create the main daemon object in the last child (moneromooo-monero)

Some feedback - the RAM usage is much better, but the syncing process is hammering my harddrive, to the point where not only the VM becomes unresponsive (10-20 second pauses but VM is still stable), but also any disk access on my native machine significantly slows down applications running there.

Changing limit_up and limit_down values has little effect.

I'm going to have a little peek at the database code tonight to get familiar to see how its working.

Just wanted to give a heads up as I suspect when the next database version is released you may find the complaints switching from RAM usage to HDD usage.

Good points. But when you think about it, given that the database is going to be around 10 GB and it is possible under ideal conditions to sync in a about an hour, that is going to be a lot of disk writing over the course of that hour. There is probably value in a "background sync" mode that deliberately takes longer with a less intense workload. A better implementation of down_limit would probably do the trick. Obviously that can come later after 0.9.

Also, I have to say that an SSD is pretty recommended here. HDD does work, but obviously for any database-type workload with a lot of random access, SSD is just going to work much better.

Thanks for the test report and any further effort put into testing.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 01:49:14 AM

A lot may also depend on the size of the HDD. I did not notice an issue syncing with a 2 TB HDD on Trisquel 7. I do suspect this can be an issue with a smaller HDD.

One other thing is that virtualization itself can be very hard on an HDD when both the host OS and the guest OS are on the same drive. If one adds to this a disk intensive application in the VM then I can see this problem developing. My experience with this has been with Windows VMs running on GNU/Linux hosts where I found a significant performance improvement by having the Windows VMs on a different HDD from the ./ GNU/Linux partition. The latter partition had the OS files. When I moved my laptop which had a single drive setup from an HDD to an SSD, I saw see a significant improvement in the Windows VM performance.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 02:07:43 PM

2 pull requests from warptangent were just merged.

Daddy are we there yet?
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2015, 02:17:46 PM

Daddy are we there yet?

Not sure.  I thought I heard something about a 'code freeze' prior to release?

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 10:57:21 PM

Daddy are we there yet?

Not sure.  I thought I heard something about a 'code freeze' prior to release?

Its more like thick slush. For the most part the code is frozen now, outside of a last few issues, mostly build-related.

Anyway, the commits from warptangent were:

1. A few for pure cleanup (fixing a typo in a message and replacing tabs with space in the source code).

2. One small tweak to make running over Tor work better (DNS requests go through Tor rather than being blocked or leaking).

We thought #2 especially would be appreciated in the 0.9 release.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3850
Merit: 5028

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 11:41:46 PM

http://arstechnica.co.uk/science/2015/12/two-atoms-make-quantum-memory-processing-gate-and-test-of-entanglement/

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
thelibertycap

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 08:07:46 PM

2. One small tweak to make running over Tor work better (DNS requests go through Tor rather than being blocked or leaking).

That is a pretty neat feature! Or rather a bug fixed. Are there any other caveats running monero privately?
Getmonero page should add a user guide with detailed instructions and explanation how to use monero anonymously. While waiting for i2p to simplify things, people interested in using monero with such high privacy demands could start and bootstrap the kind of economy, where privacy is crucial.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 09:01:17 PM

That is a pretty neat feature! Or rather a bug fixed. Are there any other caveats running monero privately?

Not that I'm aware of other than the usual pitfalls of not always doing everything correctly. Script as much as possible and make sure your scripts are robust and correct before you expect to be operating privately. Recheck everything after updates or changes.

Ultimately running on a proxy VM like whonix is probably safer, but using Tor directly is a viable option now.

nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 01:37:27 AM

Another day and another 3 PRs merged.  Thank you cow and pony Smiley

Another day waiting for the definition of "soon"  Tongue
Lloydimiller4

Activity: 186

Monero

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 09:47:30 AM

Another day and another 3 PRs merged.  Thank you cow and pony Smiley

Another day waiting for the definition of "soon"  Tongue

Our Devs are legendary. I have total faith in their abilities and the sheer intellect of our core team, and even many of our long time members give me the assurance that Monero is -the- digital cash of the future.  Tongue

XMR: 43uAvbYL7z9NrKQig2DswM69XaeDug1Rf8v4Un1ndssb2To51Vojz2uZ21jFumWsCcgvqZ9hPuE3fEr xKoGCkHU8CzqHFiS
canonsburg

Activity: 133

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 12:23:35 PM

Ok, wondering if someone can help.

I'm opening simplewallet and creating a new wallet and doing so by using a sendkey(i.e. sendkeyboard) to the process via another program, but when the wallet is created, the .keys file does not show up in the folder.
If I try to run it again, using the same process, I don't generate another wallet but open an existing one, but I still can't see it.

Now, if I manually open simplewallet and enter a wallet with the same name as before, I can create a new wallet and I CAN see the files.

But if I delete this wallet file (which includes .keys, etc) but I again run the program and use sendkey method on simplewallet, I cannot generate a new wallet. I still get the same invisible wallet as before.

I cannot figure out why I can open an invisible .key file. I can generate a new file of same name manually opening simplewallet and using command line but when I run my program, it's somehow "seeing" that invisible file.
EdvinZ

Activity: 994
Merit: 260

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 12:35:26 PM

I think Monero is in the final stage of accumulation. I see every day the bulls are trying to increase the price. Optimistic predictions  Smiley

MoneroMooo
Legendary

Activity: 1276
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 12:48:33 PM

I'm opening simplewallet and creating a new wallet and doing so by using a sendkey(i.e. sendkeyboard) to the process via another program, but when the wallet is created, the .keys file does not show up in the folder.
If I try to run it again, using the same process, I don't generate another wallet but open an existing one, but I still can't see it.

Now, if I manually open simplewallet and enter a wallet with the same name as before, I can create a new wallet and I CAN see the files.

But if I delete this wallet file (which includes .keys, etc) but I again run the program and use sendkey method on simplewallet, I cannot generate a new wallet. I still get the same invisible wallet as before.

I cannot figure out why I can open an invisible .key file. I can generate a new file of same name manually opening simplewallet and using command line but when I run my program, it's somehow "seeing" that invisible file.

It seems you're trying to programmatically drive simplewallet ?
If so, your description looks very much like simplewallet's working directory is not the one you think it is, and your wallet saved while automated is elsewhere on your computer.
If you're on Linux, /proc/`pidof simplewallet`/cwd is a symlink to the program's current working directory.
canonsburg

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 04:15:11 PM

If so, your description looks very much like simplewallet's working directory is not the one you think it is, and your wallet saved while automated is elsewhere on your computer.
If you're on Linux, /proc/`pidof simplewallet`/cwd is a symlink to the program's current working directory.

Ah, yes, you are right. It's being saved to my debug folder for some reason.
Nik4691

Activity: 352
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2015, 06:09:14 PM

Can you say exactly where? I have an other cryptonote coin and I can't see my .keys file.
Not the Monero .keys file though  Smiley
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2015, 01:01:39 AM

Our Devs are legendary. I have total faith in their abilities and the sheer intellect of our core team, and even many of our long time members give me the assurance that Monero is -the- digital cash of the future.  Tongue

Legendary Devs confirmed.

RING CONFIDENTIAL TRANSACTIONS
https://eprint.iacr.org/2015/1098.pdf

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3xkuuq/ring_signature_confidential_transactions_for/

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
canonsburg

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 04:02:02 AM

Can you say exactly where? I have an other cryptonote coin and I can't see my .keys file.
Not the Monero .keys file though  Smiley

I think it's different for different situations. But I found it by searching the entire computer for the name of the .keys file.
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 09:44:14 AM
Last edit: December 21, 2015, 10:57:22 AM by mmortal03

Fluffypony interview on Bitcoin Uncensored, starting at 59:54:

https://soundcloud.com/bitcoinuncensored/e20-christmas-poo-122215
florida.haunted

Activity: 241
Merit: 125

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 10:14:55 AM

Happy Xmas dear core devs and all the members of Monero community!

Let us to summarize what is done in departuring 2015 from the following wishes:

Monero Monday Missives

January 5th, 2015

-- SKIPPED --

Looking Forward: 2015

We have a lot in the pipeline for 2015. A few things that we'd like to highlight that you can look forward to:

more MRL academic goodness, including some of the work started at our MRL mini-meetup from 2014
    a finalised, working, tested blockchain DB implementation using LMDB
    i2p integration
    some additional blockchain DB implementations
    finalisation and release of the Monero core GUI
    the release of smart mining functionality
    the finalisation of a complete overhaul of the RPC functionality
    HTTPS and simple auth support for RPC servers
    a new, unified, well-documented RPC interface
    blocknotify and walletnotify equivalents in the daemon and wallet client
    a complete replacement of the wallet/server IPC with 0MQ
    multi-signature transactions
    open-sourcing the Monero Forum software
    the release of some OpenAlias sub-projects

And, undoubtedly, much more both for Monero core and related external projects.

from here:
https://forum.getmonero.org/1/news-announcements-and-editorials/134/monday-monero-missives-22-year-in-review-january-5th-2015

Today is December 21, 2015. Could we compare our way, passed and to be passed, with roadmap declared by core devs on January 5th, 2015?
MonsterZeroPrice

Activity: 238

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 11:23:38 AM

I think this coin is going to get dumped hard soon because 40 btc buy support is very weak.
Pages: « 1 ... 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 [1398] 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 ... 2125 »
  Print  

Jump to: