Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 03:37:52 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 [1405] 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 ... 2125 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4669576 times)
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2015, 03:07:30 PM

Windows bins of what's on git for testing: https://ottrbutt.com/tmp/wolf-xmr-miner-git.zip

Expected results with this miner (NSFW): https://ottrbutt.com/miner/xmrwolf-12232015.png

AMD folks - please test and post screenshots. Wolf has a version with much higher hashrate waiting in the wings, but we've gotta get through this milestone first (what with the payouts and all that).

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
AKWAnalytics

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2015, 03:41:12 PM

Hello All,

I was wondering if someone might be able to help me out.  I have been using monero since last summer and never had any issues sending coins, however yesterday afternoon (about 24 hours ago) I sent XMR from one of my wallets to another one of my wallets with simplewallet synced via bitmonerod.  The transaction said "money successfully sent", but the coins never showed up in my receiving address.  Not only that, but 24 hours later I still have a difference between my locked and unlocked balances in the sending wallet.  I sent 1200 coins with a mixin of 5.  Has anyone else experienced anything like this before, or I am just screwed?

Not sure what to do here given I have over 1200 XMR in limbo right now that cannot be accessed or seen, so any help of any kind would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help ahead of time.  Happy Holidays!

AKW

Perhaps a stupid question, but have you actually refreshed both of your wallets? If not, just type refresh in simplewallet (make sure bitmonerod is fully synced).

Also, what happened to your other account?

Not Stupid!  The answer is yes, I was refreshing about every 2 minutes while synced with bitmonerod.  From right when the coins where sent until right now some of the coins in wallet 1 are still locked from this tx, and in wallet 2 there is nothing.  No coins have been received.  BTW, I have sent between these two wallets multiple time, even recently, with no issues.  I am positive the address was correct.

Any ideas?!  I'm kind freaking out...

Cheers!

I have had this happen to me before. I was using a usb-ethernet dongle and I was refreshed/current with the network, but right before I sent the coins the dongle lost power or something and the transaction never actually went through, though it said it did on my simplewallet.

I only figured out what happened about a month later when it happened again and I watched the lights of the dongle go out and put 2 and 2 together.

Turns out the funds never left the wallet to begin with, it just looked like it did. Check to see if you have the same amount of monero as before you sent the transaction, maybe check your log or something, but i feel like this is the same thing that happened to me, hope so at least.

Got 'em back!!! I think this was the issue, and it was solved by resyncing with the blockchain and restarting the daemon & simplewallet.  Something must have happened when I sent the coins, and they never left the wallet in the first place.  All the coins were back in the original wallet, and there was no record of the transaction.

A sincere thank you to all who chimed in to help out a fellow hodler.  This community kicks ass   Grin
LuxMoneroj

Activity: 26

View Profile
December 27, 2015, 03:52:38 PM

Have we caught up to the Boojum yet?
vvrroomm

Activity: 53

View Profile
December 27, 2015, 08:02:08 PM

Any monero devs like to comment on this article?  Come on, show us how this is totally wrong.  Make sure to use facts.  Uhh ohh....

What NSA created Cryptonote for:

https://criticl.me/post/what-nsa-created-cryptonote-2292

"...me and a few of my fellow researchers looked at ..."

They did not look at a 5th-grade English grammar text.

Credibility broken.

Do you think their native tongue is maybe another language than English?  Also one small error does not invalidate all their claims.  As I have said many times already, get someone to review the code, and prove it doesn't have backdoors.  Stop grasping at anything you can to defend monero.  When that is done, I'll agree it is secure.  Until then, I'll continue to question, as any intelligent human would. If it is secure, then prove it.  DASH has been audited by experts, and has been shown to have a good security model.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3850
Merit: 5015

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
December 27, 2015, 08:55:16 PM

Any monero devs like to comment on this article?  Come on, show us how this is totally wrong.  Make sure to use facts.  Uhh ohh....

Credibility broken.

Do you think their native tongue is maybe another language than English?  Also one small error does not invalidate all their claims.  As I have said many times already, get someone to review the code, and prove it doesn't have backdoors.  Stop grasping at anything you can to defend monero.  When that is done, I'll agree it is secure.  Until then, I'll continue to question, as any intelligent human would. If it is secure, then prove it.  DASH has been audited by experts, and has been shown to have a good security model.

HAHAHA, you just lost all credibility with this post.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
vvrroomm

View Profile
December 27, 2015, 08:57:03 PM

Credibility broken.

Do you think their native tongue is maybe another language than English?  Also one small error does not invalidate all their claims.  As I have said many times already, get someone to review the code, and prove it doesn't have backdoors.  Stop grasping at anything you can to defend monero.  When that is done, I'll agree it is secure.  Until then, I'll continue to question, as any intelligent human would. If it is secure, then prove it.  DASH has been audited by experts, and has been shown to have a good security model.

HAHAHA, I care not for your opinion, thanks for voicing it though.  Go ahead and get to proving monero is secure.  Have a nice day.
vvrroomm

View Profile
December 27, 2015, 09:01:03 PM

Credibility broken.

Do you think their native tongue is maybe another language than English?  Also one small error does not invalidate all their claims.  As I have said many times already, get someone to review the code, and prove it doesn't have backdoors.  Stop grasping at anything you can to defend monero.  When that is done, I'll agree it is secure.  Until then, I'll continue to question, as any intelligent human would. If it is secure, then prove it.  DASH has been audited by experts, and has been shown to have a good security model.

By the way, at the moment DASH has a market cap of $16.3 million and monero is $4.7.  Seems quite a few people agree with me.
vvrroomm

View Profile
December 27, 2015, 09:08:54 PM

Credibility broken.

By the way, at the moment DASH has a market cap of $16.3 million and monero is $4.7.  Seems quite a few people agree with me.

XMR is a project in early development with real value and innovative technology backing it - whatever DASH may be, it focuses one HELL of a lot more on marketing itself than any actual development.

I applaud your work in crytominers. On this particular subject, I have to respectfully disagree.  Monero needs a security audit. Until an audit gets funded and completed, the coin will have a serious disadvantage. Currently this is showing in 1/4 the market cap of DASH.  Just answer my challenge of auditing it, and I go away.  Your choice.  Have a good 'un.
vvrroomm

View Profile
December 27, 2015, 09:17:37 PM

Credibility broken.

XMR is a project in early development with real value and innovative technology backing it - whatever DASH may be, it focuses one HELL of a lot more on marketing itself than any actual development.

I applaud your work in crytominers. On this particular subject, I have to respectfully disagree.  Monero needs a security audit. Until an audit gets funded and completed, the coin will have a serious disadvantage. Currently this is showing in 1/4 the market cap of DASH.  Just answer my challenge of auditing it, and I go away.  Your choice.  Have a good 'un.

I agree it needs auditing! I disagree that's the reason for the difference in marketcap, however.

Ok, here is my logic.  People research.  They find this thread where I ask for an audit and am told give us the money and we'll do it.  No one steps up.  Looks bad for monero.  Market cap can't grow and will probably erode.  I gave all you monero supporters a way to defeat me, and you don't use it.  We will see how this turns out. I am out to spread light, truth, and expose lies.  Nothing can hide in the dark forever. Anyone that does research will find out about the security problems. 
vvrroomm

View Profile
December 27, 2015, 09:53:16 PM

Credibility broken.

I agree it needs auditing! I disagree that's the reason for the difference in marketcap, however.

Ok, here is my logic.  People research.  They find this thread where I ask for an audit and am told give us the money and we'll do it.  No one steps up.  Looks bad for monero.  Market cap can't grow and will probably erode.  I gave all you monero supporters a way to defeat me, and you don't use it.  We will see how this turns out. I am out to spread light, truth, and expose lies.  Nothing can hide in the dark forever. Anyone that does research will find out about the security problems. 

Here's mine: XMR is in its infancy - it didn't inherit a nice, well-functioning codebase to work from. It's far from production ready - and while audits need to happen - they should happen in due time, on a product that resembles what it should be. No point in auditing a half-done system.

Now, about saying we don't use the audit as a way to shut you up - they tend to cost money for experienced people to do it. Doing it for the sole purpose of satisfying critics would be wasteful - why not do it when it's actually done and ready to be presented?

Well, then it is architected wrong and people should run screaming.  Your argument is like saying "This car will totally be done and safe at some point in the future, but for now go ahead and drive it, hope you don't die."
vvrroomm

View Profile
December 27, 2015, 09:57:49 PM

Credibility broken.

Here's mine: XMR is in its infancy - it didn't inherit a nice, well-functioning codebase to work from. It's far from production ready - and while audits need to happen - they should happen in due time, on a product that resembles what it should be. No point in auditing a half-done system.

Now, about saying we don't use the audit as a way to shut you up - they tend to cost money for experienced people to do it. Doing it for the sole purpose of satisfying critics would be wasteful - why not do it when it's actually done and ready to be presented?

Well, then it is architected wrong and people should run screaming.  Your argument is like saying "This car will totally be done and safe at some point in the future, but for now go ahead and drive it, hope you don't die."

By the way, with you saying everything is just fine, and it will be audited and super secure at some point leaves out the fact that the coin has been compromised and many people lost coins due to a security vulnerability already. 

Read about it here: https://forum.cryptonote.org/viewtopic.php?p=909
vvrroomm

View Profile
December 27, 2015, 09:59:35 PM

Credibility broken.

I don't run around saying XMR should be considered absolutely safe right now - it's a work in progress! It needs review, and more importantly, time - like any cryptographic system. Only time will tell - you don't fault early BTC users for using BTC, do you?

One flaw in your logic, anyone that researches knows bitcoin is not even attempting to say it's secure.  Buyer beware.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
December 27, 2015, 10:20:05 PM

Maybe you are right. Please post the link to the security audit of the current Dash code so I can review it. Thanks!
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 27, 2015, 10:32:39 PM
Last edit: December 27, 2015, 10:43:35 PM by saddambitcoin

While I think some sort of security audit surely would not hurt, I disagree that this is the only reason for the disparity in marketcap. Why?

There are currently 3,441 DASH masternodes visibly removing 3,441,000 DASH from the existing money supply. If i'm not mistaken that's ~55% of the current emission!

Less supply = higher price = easier to maintain a 'bigger marketcap'. Do you disagree?

many people lost coins due to a security vulnerability already.  

edit to add: i remember when this attack happened, nobody lost any coins. so while there was an attack, this statement is untrue.

one more thing: are you familiar with these research papers? https://lab.getmonero.org/

Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3850
Merit: 5015

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
December 27, 2015, 10:54:12 PM

edit to add: i remember when this attack happened, nobody lost any coins. so while there was an attack, this statement is untrue.

one more thing: are you familiar with these research papers? https://lab.getmonero.org/

Actually his link even though not supporting his trollish lies does show how well the community and Devs responded. Smiley

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
vvrroomm

View Profile
December 27, 2015, 11:55:08 PM

While I think some sort of security audit surely would not hurt, I disagree that this is the only reason for the disparity in marketcap. Why?

There are currently 3,441 DASH masternodes visibly removing 3,441,000 DASH from the existing money supply. If i'm not mistaken that's ~55% of the current emission!

Less supply = higher price = easier to maintain a 'bigger marketcap'. Do you disagree?

Well, the fact that this did happen does make one wonder about the security of the coin going forward. I still find it a bit hard to believe that no miner was working on a block and then when the problem was fixed no coins were lost.

quote from article:

The attacker had likely sent the transactions of the block 202612-B to mining pools on the sub-network A. These transactions had been included in the blockchain on height 202614 by one of the pools.

The sub-network A daemons accepted that block since they didn't have the 2a58f802202db09cbd1377630ae73becff1eaff52e8969980672496dc39a5f6f and 57ce3aab446d75726221c908a4bf6ac2f67485cab80a2e2bedfe5519cabd8848 transactions on the blockchain.

The sub-network B deamons rejected the block since those transactions had already been included in block 202612-B. Accepting these transactions a second time would imply double-spending.

Therefore, the network had been split on height 202614 when the two sub-networks turned into two different chains. Fortunately, the large majority of the Monero network had remained on the chain A, which helped to avoid larger negative consequences for the currency.

I agree somewhat with your masternode comments.  It is an effect of the design to have people "buy in" to the technology by buying and setting up masternodes, thus removing coins from the supply.  Relatively speaking, if the technology is not supported by users, they will dump the masternodes and flood the supply. But anytime anything implodes, that happens anyway doesn't it?  Another way to look at it is this: By having coins in the masternodes is actually good for sellers and bad for buyers, so that should be considered. Another point is the masternodes do supply a service, and make money for the owner.  It's a design decision, but at this point as a coin holder, it's better for them right? It's kind of a way to reduce supply because the coin is popular and being used in a masternode, and popular items always cost more, right?

I am a tad angry that there are possible bad actors writing the monero code.  That is why you see some ire in my posts.

vvrroomm

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 12:02:04 AM

The scope of this attack clearly makes it an organized effort. While it is possible that some lone guy is figuring out the flaw and how to take advantage of it, the fact we are needing more than one skillset and resources more indicates a team is involved.

Theoretically if you guys didnt notice the strange stuff on the blockchain and polo went on a fork, could they have just made many small withdraws over a week and drained the polo acct? The timeframe and resources required for this doesnt seem like some statment attack to cause a fork and go "ha ha", but where financial gain is involved.

If so, the list if suspects as being involved in this would be polo accts that were involved in accumulating recently (which I remember seeing talked about) and probably these were also trying to do the double spend while on the fork.

So, maybe the attack was against polo?

James

Nope - bear in mind that basically without any action from us the "bad" fork died after 35 minutes. It still exists, it's just stuck at block 202647 and won't proceed. This would have happened even if we hadn't noticed it, so there's little they could have done to have any long-lived attack.

So no coins were mined in this 35 minutes on the "bad" fork?  Really?
vvrroomm

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 12:09:28 AM

Actually his link even though not supporting his trollish lies does show how well the community and Devs responded. Smiley

It appears the articles states

"Fortunately, the large majority of the Monero network had remained on the chain A, which helped to avoid larger negative consequences for the currency."

That proves that at least there were some negative consequences, and they could have been larger.
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 12:25:58 AM

After this attack (14 months ago) the Monero core devs refocused their efforts to strengthening the Monero protocol. Now we are close to reaping the full benefits of this in the 0.9 release, and anyone can compile the source now and see how much better it is.

Bitcoin also endured many attacks in its infancy, far worse than this one, it serves to make the network stronger. If you don't like it, that's fine. This is not something to invest in, it's an experiment. I find it to be a fun open source project with a great community that I like participating in and contributing my skills.

vvrroomm

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 12:36:45 AM

After this attack (14 months ago) the Monero core devs refocused their efforts to strengthening the Monero protocol. Now we are close to reaping the full benefits of this in the 0.9 release, and anyone can compile the source now and see how much better it is.

Bitcoin also endured many attacks in its infancy, far worse than this one, it serves to make the network stronger. If you don't like it, that's fine. This is not something to invest in, it's an experiment. I find it to be a fun open source project with a great community that I like participating in and contributing my skills.

You all may turn me to the dark side (monero side?) after all  Smiley  Really, we need more than one secure, private coin, right?  We need a pepsi for the coke.  Think of me like that mean ol school marm, I just want you to succeed and grow like a purty flower Wink
Pages: « 1 ... 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 [1405] 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 ... 2125 »
  Print  

Jump to: