Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 03:34:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1567 1568 1569 1570 1571 1572 1573 1574 1575 1576 1577 1578 1579 1580 1581 1582 1583 1584 1585 1586 1587 1588 1589 1590 1591 1592 1593 1594 1595 1596 1597 1598 1599 1600 1601 1602 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1608 1609 1610 1611 1612 1613 1614 1615 1616 [1617] 1618 1619 1620 1621 1622 1623 1624 1625 1626 1627 1628 1629 1630 1631 1632 1633 1634 1635 1636 1637 1638 1639 1640 1641 1642 1643 1644 1645 1646 1647 1648 1649 1650 1651 1652 1653 1654 1655 1656 1657 1658 1659 1660 1661 1662 1663 1664 1665 1666 1667 ... 2124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4669110 times)
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 14, 2016, 08:19:53 AM

edited to add - its obviously more complicated than that, and you'd have to compile your own code or connect your modded simplewallet to a remote daemon that has a lowered fee...... but this is all doable.

Correct and it doesn't require a hard fork as suggested earlier in the thread. It is convenient to make these sorts of changes coincident with a hard fork simply because that encourages everyone to upgrade and support the lower fees, but it is not absolutely necessary.

bitebits
Legendary

Activity: 2213
Merit: 3208

Flippin' burgers since 1163.

View Profile
September 14, 2016, 09:58:48 AM

http://monero.stackexchange.com/questions/1246/how-does-moneros-transaction-fees-change-according-to-price

dynamic fees currently do not exist yet and currently the fee is hardcoded
This concerns me. Unfortunately when Monero will be more widely adopted, hardforking will get harder and harder. Or at least consensus in what will be changed in the hardfork.

Monero's fees are not dependent on price. They are based on the size of the transaction (0.01 monero per kB, rounded up)
I know this is not easy to solve, but potentially a big problem when the price of a monero increases. As I said above, it could be that no future hardfork will take place / there is no consensus reached on how high the fee should be.

Monero is really elegant in it's dynamic block size and slowly decreasing blocksize, it learned from (the mistakes of) it's big brother. However the arbitrary and hardcoded fee amount feels very similar to Bitcoin's fixed block size. Any thoughts or ideas on this? Why (for example) can't I as a user determine the fee, and let the miner decide whether or not to include the transaction?

We dont have political crisis in this community. If FP proposes a hard fork to lower that value everyone will support it.

Not to be blunt, but that is just naive. There will be possibly severe disagreements along the way, especially when Monero gets more widely adopted.

edited to add - its obviously more complicated than that, and you'd have to compile your own code or connect your modded simplewallet to a remote daemon that has a lowered fee...... but this is all doable.

Correct and it doesn't require a hard fork as suggested earlier in the thread. It is convenient to make these sorts of changes coincident with a hard fork simply because that encourages everyone to upgrade and support the lower fees, but it is not absolutely necessary.

Thanks GingerAle and smooth, that is actually some kind of a relief knowing that a hard fork is not absolutely mandatory.

My hope is that we will be able to have a more elegant solution for the the fee amount, instead of it being hardcoded. Let's hope ArticMine come's up with a solution which can be agreed upon.

- You can figure out what will happen, not when /Warren Buffett
- Pay any Bitcoin address privately with a little help of Monero.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
September 14, 2016, 11:57:08 AM

We dont have political crisis in this community.
Not to be blunt, but that is just naive. There will be possibly severe disagreements along the way, especially when Monero gets more widely adopted.
Not just naive, but also accurate.  There is no present political crisis.  I think the closest we ever came to one was the division and heated discussion of the tail reward.  I consider the outcome to have been a fair approximation to the optimum, so it was a worthwhile use of annealing energy.  While I am critical: "possibly" seems weak.  "Almost certainly"  in the mathematical sense, seems apt.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1447

View Profile
September 14, 2016, 12:11:28 PM

Is there any news when jwinterm will make any updates in the light wallet now that Monero is getting more popular? This is the right time to start working on the infrastructure and to make sure they are all working properly.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1107

View Profile
September 14, 2016, 01:33:27 PM

Is there any news when jwinterm will make any updates in the light wallet now that Monero is getting more popular? This is the right time to start working on the infrastructure and to make sure they are all working properly.
* jwinterm checks the news...

Nope, no news Tongue

Actually I will probably make at least some minor updates in the next week or two, but I just don't really have the time or inclination to put a ton of effort into at this point. It was kind of a learning Java/Libgdx project for me, and I thought if it could tide some folks until the Monero Core GUI came out, even better. Since it seems like the Core GUI is weeks away at this point, and I'm dealing with end of fiscal year madness at work right now, and I'm getting ready to sell a house halfway across the country, and school (and soccer and cheerleading and dance classes and etc.) all just started back up, I just don't see myself having much time at all to devote to it.

The code is up on github though, anyone is free to fork it and update it or make pull requests. Otherwise, just wait...it's coming...soon™ Cheesy
start the art

Activity: 395
Merit: 408

Bitcoin OG artworks collection

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2016, 01:43:04 PM

Orange Monero painting is flying to USA,blue Monero painting left https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1612312.new#new

DonYo

Activity: 432
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 14, 2016, 04:48:28 PM

Orange Monero painting is flying to USA,blue Monero painting left https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1612312.new#new

Blue and Monero... incompatible colors  Cheesy

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
September 14, 2016, 11:19:16 PM

A noteworthy pull request:

https://github.com/monero-project/monero/pull/1074

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 14, 2016, 11:48:52 PM

Very nice Smiley

Also noteworthy are the several new recent contributors.  Thanks Smiley Smiley
digitalcodes

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 15, 2016, 12:16:42 AM

who can help me to build my own pool
the pool i want to build for my own rigs that means i need a pool private
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2016, 12:23:13 AM

http://nodebox.link/

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1968

View Profile
September 15, 2016, 01:28:47 AM

I am sorry but I still don't understand why you want a pool of your own. How much hashrate do you have?

Backstory - Already offered to help him but he wants a pool running on windows. No such thing, right? Tongue

Good luck bud. Tried. sorry! Tongue

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
September 15, 2016, 03:40:57 AM

I am sorry but I still don't understand why you want a pool of your own. How much hashrate do you have?

Backstory - Already offered to help him but he wants a pool running on windows. No such thing, right? Tongue

some will solo mine to their own pool to have more options in terms of miners.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 4926

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
September 15, 2016, 04:16:07 AM

luigi1111 commented Sep 14, 2016

Wat. I thought we were raising the fee to 0.2 XMR / kB...

LOL, Good one. Smiley

Why not in a vm?

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1447

View Profile
September 15, 2016, 06:35:46 AM

* jwinterm checks the news...

Nope, no news Tongue

Actually I will probably make at least some minor updates in the next week or two, but I just don't really have the time or inclination to put a ton of effort into at this point. It was kind of a learning Java/Libgdx project for me, and I thought if it could tide some folks until the Monero Core GUI came out, even better. Since it seems like the Core GUI is weeks away at this point, and I'm dealing with end of fiscal year madness at work right now, and I'm getting ready to sell a house halfway across the country, and school (and soccer and cheerleading and dance classes and etc.) all just started back up, I just don't see myself having much time at all to devote to it.

The code is up on github though, anyone is free to fork it and update it or make pull requests. Otherwise, just wait...it's coming...soon™ Cheesy

Ok thank you. I would only like to suggest that a proper working light wallet would really help with the adoption of XMR. Most of the people who will have interest in this will not be interested in downloading the whole blockchain and run a full node.

Also here's another problem. Maybe the Monero development team should look ahead and start thinking of ways of how to incentivize Monero nodes. I believe it will also have the same problems as bitcon in the future.

███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2016, 10:21:40 AM

If you want to accept Monero (among other things) for your business, consider signing up for the now-open PayB.ee private beta!

https://payb.ee/

https://monero.stackexchange.com/questions/875/what-is-paybee-and-how-is-it-related-to-monero

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/52vh64/if_you_want_to_accept_monero_among_other_things/

Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
monerol

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 15, 2016, 11:03:30 AM

Hi,
I am quite a new user here, recently i started pool.monero.org on subleased domain. I hope i will buy monero.org domain. My goal is to move pool.monero.org to monero.org and i want to make the biggest open source monero pool there and to donate part of pool fee to Monero core developers.   
At the same time i support Monero and i am a skilled programmer and i do QT.
After some research i found that monero have no good GUI wallet, but other CryptoNote coins have QT wallet.
Honestly, i can start Monero QT wallet development based on this https://github.com/cryptonotefoundation/cryptonotewallet
I think i can do it in about 2 weeks.
But i want to be paid for that in XMR by commmunity Grin because i want to make the biggest open source pool and give part of pool fee to Monero developers, i want to be the Monero developer Cheesy
Is there any community bounty for XMR GUI development?

dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2016, 11:20:00 AM

Crosspost:

A publication in the famous french newspaper website "Le Monde" about monero (and a rather good and well informed article) :
http://www.lemonde.fr/pixels/article/2016/09/15/monero-la-monnaie-electronique-qui-se-reve-en-complement-indispensable-du-bitcoin_4998143_4408996.html

bitebits
Legendary

Activity: 2213
Merit: 3208

Flippin' burgers since 1163.

View Profile
September 15, 2016, 11:24:57 AM
Last edit: September 15, 2016, 01:19:15 PM by bitebits

What is PayBee and how is it related to Monero?
PayBee is a BitPay like payment processor. It will use Monero and Bitcoin as "default" currencies as far as I know.

Fluffypony explanation of "what is Paybee" is as follows:
It's a payment gateway I've been developing along with a few partners. We had to deal with a few false starts and issues along the way, but it's (finally) getting close-ish to release.

That is really awesome. I like it that it supports both Bitcoin and Monero, so the vendor does not need to implement different payment processors for each (relevant) currency.

Nowadays it is a mess with all the payment methods: paypal, credit card, wire, apple pay, amazon points and I don't know what. They all require their own portal. Things like this make me realize (again) how important of a role digital currencies are going to play on the internet.

- You can figure out what will happen, not when /Warren Buffett
- Pay any Bitcoin address privately with a little help of Monero.
altcoiner-

Activity: 57
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 15, 2016, 12:02:28 PM

Trying to sync monero on linux ubuntu 16.04 and I'm getting so many problems.
I did it normally, started ./bitmonerod and got first 300k blocks nice and reliatively fast. I come back the next day and it's on 320k?
so i wait 3 more days, 380k. something isn't right.

Downloaded the boot strap (took less than 5mins on high speed VPS) and follow instructions blockchain_import
I tried
 ./blockchain_import --database lmdb#nosync --verify 0 --input-file ~/blockchain.raw
 ./blockchain_import --database lmdb#nosync --verify=0 --input-file ~/xmr/blockchain.raw
 ./blockchain_import --verify 0 --input-file ~/xmr/blockchain.raw
 ./blockchain_import --input-file ~/xmr/blockchain.raw

You name it I tried around 10 different combos of those commands and each and every one failed. The "database" command was the fastest, but the last block would not be existent or corrupt and wouldn't allow the daemon to function. Massive PITA.

The rest of them would get to 200-350k blocks and simply start hogging resources and STILL not move anywhere in regard to progress. And then, not even being able to exit blockchain_import or bitmonerod (which ever one I was using and trying to sync with).

does anyone know the fastest way to sync on ubuntu 16.04. This is extremely frustrating.
Pages: « 1 ... 1567 1568 1569 1570 1571 1572 1573 1574 1575 1576 1577 1578 1579 1580 1581 1582 1583 1584 1585 1586 1587 1588 1589 1590 1591 1592 1593 1594 1595 1596 1597 1598 1599 1600 1601 1602 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1608 1609 1610 1611 1612 1613 1614 1615 1616 [1617] 1618 1619 1620 1621 1622 1623 1624 1625 1626 1627 1628 1629 1630 1631 1632 1633 1634 1635 1636 1637 1638 1639 1640 1641 1642 1643 1644 1645 1646 1647 1648 1649 1650 1651 1652 1653 1654 1655 1656 1657 1658 1659 1660 1661 1662 1663 1664 1665 1666 1667 ... 2124 »
  Print  

Jump to: