Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 02:39:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1577 1578 1579 1580 1581 1582 1583 1584 1585 1586 1587 1588 1589 1590 1591 1592 1593 1594 1595 1596 1597 1598 1599 1600 1601 1602 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1608 1609 1610 1611 1612 1613 1614 1615 1616 1617 1618 1619 1620 1621 1622 1623 1624 1625 1626 [1627] 1628 1629 1630 1631 1632 1633 1634 1635 1636 1637 1638 1639 1640 1641 1642 1643 1644 1645 1646 1647 1648 1649 1650 1651 1652 1653 1654 1655 1656 1657 1658 1659 1660 1661 1662 1663 1664 1665 1666 1667 1668 1669 1670 1671 1672 1673 1674 1675 1676 1677 ... 2124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4669211 times)
Rodeoweb

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 22, 2016, 03:33:16 PM

Hey Guys, just started using xmr and have an issue I hope someone can help me out with. Ok I opened a Web wallet at my monero and have made numerous buys using bitcoin and shapeshift with no problems. I also installed v.10 node and simple wallet on my laptop and have transferred from my monero to my wallet on the laptop also with no problem. Now I tried to go directly from BTC-->shapeshift-->simple wallet. Everything seemed to go throught, shapeshift says it's all done but nothing shows up in simple wallet, no pending, balance and locked balance haven't changed, refreshed many times also and no TXID. The only thing I did different with shapeshift is I didn't put a payment ID since the user guide stated I didn't need to do this if I own the address. I did this going from my monero and simple wallet and it workout fine. I'm really hoping it's not the payment ID since I heard it could be lost forever if that the case. Can anyone offer some advise other than contact shapeshift?  Thanks in advance.

Payment ID is not the issue.   Sometimes an exchange from Bitcoin to Monero just doesn't happen when it should and sometimes it just gets delayed for a while. One recent purchase of mine just did not happen and another got delayed for maybe 4 hours before it showed up. Their customer service is good but their hours are listed as 11 a.m. 8 p.m. Monday through Friday Eastern Time.

Thank You, I did send an email the shapeshift and was hoping it is just a delay. So I'll sit tight and see what happens. Thanks again.
DaveyJones

Activity: 768
Merit: 505

View Profile
September 22, 2016, 07:08:48 PM

The new version is a great news, I was expecting an improved daemon.
The sync was very fast (SSD, very good internet, 6GB RAM).
But the space improvement was not great - from under 10Gb to 7.6GB. This is on Win10 x64...

24% reduction is pretty significant in my opinion.

After reading a few posts I somehow expected something near 40-50%.
But it's OK, you are right.
The even better news for me are that lately the sync is much faster and the daemon doesn't need so much time to start or save+close.

I think Windows is the Problem... i think i recall hyc saying that windows has the behaviour to add "empty space" where it should not do so the file looks bigger there
equipoise

Activity: 794
Merit: 1000

Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2016, 07:16:44 PM

Dear Monero gurus.. I have a problem with my wallet..

was working well under 0.9.3 and used simplewallet..  now I have copied the new v 10.0 files and updated the start bat file so it would start the monerod.exe instead of the bitmonerod.exe. 

Deleted the data-mdb and lock.mdb and then ran the new bat file...

monerod.exe ran fine and after it finished sync y started simplewallet (0.9.3)
When I checked the balance it was much higher then before.. basically all of my spent moneros showed up.

I was unable to send any XMR

I upgraded simple wallet to version 0.9.4 and same results.

I reccan the wallet with rescan_bc and the balance is back to full.

Please advise what simplewallet can I use so the spent moneros do show up in the wallet.. 

1) Backup your wallet (.keys file and/or mnemonic seed). 2) Use monero-wallet-cli instead of simplewallet to restore from the .keys (move the other wallet files and start monero-wallet-cli just with the .keys in the folder).

About me | zRMicroArray - phase 2 - Gene Expression Analysis software | [Weed Like to Talk - Bulgaria] Start a wave of cannabis seminars in Europe | Monero weighted average price stats: moneroprice.i2p
BTC: 1KoCX7TWKVGwqmmFw3CKyUSrKRSStueZar | NMC: NKhYEYpe1Le9MwHrwKsdSm5617J4toVar9 | XMR (Tip me a beer OpenAlias Monero address): tip.changetheworldwork.com
[XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency: 4AyRmUcxzefB5quumzK3HNE4zmCiGc8vhG6fE1oJpGVyVZF7fvDgSpt3MzgLfQ6Q1719xQhmfkM9Z2u NXgDMqYhjJVmc6KX
luigi1111
Legendary

Activity: 1105

View Profile
September 22, 2016, 07:18:00 PM

But the space improvement was not great - from under 10Gb to 7.6GB. This is on Win10 x64...

The even better news for me are that lately the sync is much faster and the daemon doesn't need so much time to start or save+close.

I think Windows is the Problem... i think i recall hyc saying that windows has the behaviour to add "empty space" where it should not do so the file looks bigger there

It's the opposite really. That extra space thing on Windows was changed back sometime before 9.4 IIRC, where in Linux it wasn't (since sparse files weren't an issue). So Windows at 10GB was very close to the actual DB size, while Linux would show it as 16GB or so.

Now actual DB size is around 7.5GB, I think on both platforms.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
September 22, 2016, 07:24:31 PM

7.6 GB on Windows 10 64bit is actually slightly less than the 8.1 GB I get on Ubuntu 16.04. NTFS is slightly more efficient at storage than ext4 in this case.  The trade off is likely vulnerability to fragmentation.  In any case this is not a Windows problem. The 56% drop in size I mentioned before was on Ubuntu 16.04. ext4. Still the 24% gain on Windows 10 64bit NTFS is also very respectable.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
RayX12

Activity: 952
Merit: 552

View Profile
September 22, 2016, 07:28:44 PM

Dear Monero gurus.. I have a problem with my wallet..

was working well under 0.9.3 and used simplewallet..  now I have copied the new v 10.0 files and updated the start bat file so it would start the monerod.exe instead of the bitmonerod.exe.  

Deleted the data-mdb and lock.mdb and then ran the new bat file...

monerod.exe ran fine and after it finished sync y started simplewallet (0.9.3)
When I checked the balance it was much higher then before.. basically all of my spent moneros showed up.

I was unable to send any XMR

I upgraded simple wallet to version 0.9.4 and same results.

I reccan the wallet with rescan_bc and the balance is back to full.

Please advise what simplewallet can I use so the spent moneros do show up in the wallet..  

1) Backup your wallet (.keys file and/or mnemonic seed). 2) Use monero-wallet-cli instead of simplewallet to restore from the .keys (move the other wallet files and start monero-wallet-cli just with the .keys in the folder).

ha ha.. thanks.. since there were no instructions on the release I did not realize that now you have "monero-wallet-cli".  Of course a tiny install.txt file included in the release could have saved me many headaches.

Thanks
Rodeoweb

View Profile
September 22, 2016, 07:45:41 PM

So shapeshift seems to be having problems. Earlier my order didn't go through and they are in the process of returning my funds. Now I tried to exchange with additional funds and Monero is not on their list to exchange to. Anyone know of another creditable site that will exchange and send to my wallet?
kcanup
Legendary

Activity: 1484

View Profile
September 22, 2016, 08:14:35 PM

There is a problem with bittrex wallet.  The last block update occurred 736 minutes ago. Any idea whats going on?
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
September 22, 2016, 08:44:46 PM

There is a problem with bittrex wallet.  The last block update occurred 736 minutes ago. Any idea whats going on?

Did they forget to upgrade to one of the appropriate versions? The fork was approximately at that time.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
kcanup
Legendary

Activity: 1484

View Profile
September 22, 2016, 08:56:11 PM

There is a problem with bittrex wallet.  The last block update occurred 736 minutes ago. Any idea whats going on?

Did they forget to upgrade to one of the appropriate versions? The fork was approximately at that time.
May be they are upgrading? I forgot to check their wallet status earlier before sending some xmr in bittrex but just noticed their wallet is not updated yet, hope bittrex is working on upgrade. Im just wondering if my deposit is going to credited there or not once they done with upgrade
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3836
Merit: 4966

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
September 22, 2016, 09:35:07 PM

Just for fun - hardfork countdown contest - try to send a transaction that lands in the hardfork block, win a prize.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/53wou2/monero_hardfork_countdown_contest/

Cute but other people have to store those transactions for all eternity.

Y'know, I just shrank the blockchain by 50% in v0.10. I think we can afford to splurge a bit here.

What method did you use? BTW Great job! Smiley

Just for fun - hardfork countdown contest - try to send a transaction that lands in the hardfork block, win a prize.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/53wou2/monero_hardfork_countdown_contest/

Cute but other people have to store those transactions for all eternity.

Y'know, I just shrank the blockchain by 50% in v0.10. I think we can afford to splurge a bit here.

I was just saying to my wife. I don't think I have ever seen a blockchain shrink since I've been involved in crypto. It's like this thing everyone always talks about but no one ever sees. It's a unicorn and here it is in monero, re-affirming why I am so heavily invested in this amazing project. You sir are a legend.

I would say thats because people spread false info like "It can't be done".

Sorry guys, I'm not sure why I felt so deeply about this. I'm not even invested it doesn't even effect me. It's just that I spent alot of hours trying to vet that and felt I was roadblocked and now it has come to pass. Whatever. I hope no-one lost money because of this.

I did go out and calmed down sorry for the rough language smoothie. I just took a pain pill and the news hit me in the wrong way.

Its all good man.  Smiley

Thanks man. :thumbsup:

Can someone explain whether anything is wrong with hardfork!
Is it successful or not? Undecided

The easiest way to tell is to see if the exchanges stop trading. Lol

On the lighter side I bought a new comp.  It's an interim comp good enough so it won't crap out anytime soon but bad enough that I will still keep dreaming.

Thanks to all that gave advice Smiley

Link it.

Why, are you trying to embarrass me?  Windows 10 Embarrassed  The link to the store I bought it from isn't working so here is Dell's
http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-3650-desktop/pd?oc=fddclot201b&model_id=inspiron-3650-desktop
i5, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD

I just needed something quick.  I think I will replace the HDD in the old machine with a SSD and turn it into a Monero only linux machine.  That will be a big deal for me but I have an idea on how to make it easy.  Something about bananas.

I have no idea how long to sync the 0.10 blockchain because even though I choose the setting that my comp does not go to sleep, it went to sleep while I was sleeping. Tongue  It is now continuing to sync.

LOL, I'd never try to embarrass you buddy. Win10. Bummer Sad there are programs to remove all the spyware, well the parts that are known). For some reason I thought you were looking for a laptop.

Not sure how safe this site is but I could send you a good copy of 7 if you need.

https://onhax.me/windows-7-downloads

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 22, 2016, 10:40:06 PM

So shapeshift seems to be having problems. Earlier my order didn't go through and they are in the process of returning my funds. Now I tried to exchange with additional funds and Monero is not on their list to exchange to. Anyone know of another creditable site that will exchange and send to my wallet?

I don't know about before but Monero is listed now.
tZKtdvt6

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

Developer

View Profile
September 23, 2016, 07:02:07 AM

Very good job, the xmr v.10.0 synced very easy and very fast too.
Also it load faster than before.

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
September 23, 2016, 07:12:57 AM

Why, are you trying to embarrass me?  Windows 10 Embarrassed  

Unless you are going to game on it scrap that crap. https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php It's super user friendly. My dad switched to it no problem. I like xfce. Seriously you wont regret the switch.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
hyc

Activity: 88
Merit: 16

View Profile
September 23, 2016, 07:27:57 AM

Much of it was a redesign of one of the larger, heavily used indices. The idea was warptangent's. I dug thru IRC logs after he passed away, to piece together what he was talking about, and wrote the code. The other part of it was just making more use of LMDB's special features, to store/retrieve the data more efficiently. This is a bit of LMDB "special sauce" that other DB engines (like LevelDB, RocksDB, etc.) lack.

I was just saying to my wife. I don't think I have ever seen a blockchain shrink since I've been involved in crypto. It's like this thing everyone always talks about but no one ever sees. It's a unicorn and here it is in monero, re-affirming why I am so heavily invested in this amazing project. You sir are a legend.

Most people have no idea how much bloat they're dealing with every day. They have no idea how fast their computers actually are, or would be if they were running properly written software. (Come on, a 4GHz CPU, potentially running over *1 billion* instructions per second, and yet it's slogging along like it's made of molasses? That's what the world is used to, but it takes s#it-tons of bad software to make things so slow. When you cut away all the cruft, things can really fly.) And, on the other hand, I've made a career out of coding on the hairy edge between "possible" and "impossible." E.g. https://www.facebook.com/notes/howard-chu/my-space-shuttle-story-for-catherine/109922698035
xdrzrex

Activity: 42

View Profile
September 23, 2016, 10:20:23 AM

You are right, but that is not a problem of XMR Wink
Rodeoweb

View Profile
September 23, 2016, 11:52:04 AM

I don't know about before but Monero is listed now.

Yea, I seen that, weird. But I did get another order through and shapeshift returned my funds, you're right customer service is very good. One more buy and I should be all done and then sit tight and hope Monero becomes what it should be.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3836
Merit: 4966

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
September 23, 2016, 11:56:51 AM

Much of it was a redesign of one of the larger, heavily used indices. The idea was warptangent's. I dug thru IRC logs after he passed away, to piece together what he was talking about, and wrote the code. The other part of it was just making more use of LMDB's special features, to store/retrieve the data more efficiently. This is a bit of LMDB "special sauce" that other DB engines (like LevelDB, RocksDB, etc.) lack.

Most people have no idea how much bloat they're dealing with every day. They have no idea how fast their computers actually are, or would be if they were running properly written software. (Come on, a 4GHz CPU, potentially running over *1 billion* instructions per second, and yet it's slogging along like it's made of molasses? That's what the world is used to, but it takes s#it-tons of bad software to make things so slow. When you cut away all the cruft, things can really fly.) And, on the other hand, I've made a career out of coding on the hairy edge between "possible" and "impossible." E.g. https://www.facebook.com/notes/howard-chu/my-space-shuttle-story-for-catherine/109922698035

I hear yah! I've been stripping Os's down forever. It's great to hear Warptangent is still contributing!!! That man is my Hero. Smiley

Can you link me to the method you used on the index.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Millionero

Activity: 807
Merit: 423

View Profile
September 23, 2016, 12:27:23 PM
Last edit: September 23, 2016, 01:12:59 PM by Millionero

I just downloaded the 64 bit linux wolfram warptangent.
I now have a .tar.bz2 file in Downloads.  I believe this is a compressed file that needs to be extracted.  How does one do that from the command line (assuming it hasn't been extracted already)?
edit:
My linux distro, galliumos, has a gui filemanager.  When I right click on the tar file, I have a choice to "extract here" or "extract to..."
I can't figure out how to make the "extract to" command in the gui works.  I created a folder called "monero" in the home directory.  Then I double clicked the tar file and chose "extract to..." but no success.  I suppose it's better not to bother with the gui.  I am googling how to extract a tar file in linux right now.
Any offers of quick help would be appreciated, because I have to get my coins off polo.

First result on google
From the terminal, change to the directory where yourfile.tar has been downloaded.
Type tar -xvf yourfile.tar to extract the file to the current directory.
Or tar -C /myfolder -xvf yourfile.tar to extract to another directory.

I am trying to remember some basic linux commands.  What's the one that shows you the directory you are currently working in?  Oh yeah, pwd.  I think I'm getting somewhere now, maybe I can figure this out.
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 23, 2016, 02:30:42 PM

Why, are you trying to embarrass me?  Windows 10 Embarrassed  

Unless you are going to game on it scrap that crap. https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php It's super user friendly. My dad switched to it no problem. I like xfce. Seriously you wont regret the switch.

Thanks, bookmarked.  Windows is needed for my poker programs although I'm spending very little  time on it nowadays.
Pages: « 1 ... 1577 1578 1579 1580 1581 1582 1583 1584 1585 1586 1587 1588 1589 1590 1591 1592 1593 1594 1595 1596 1597 1598 1599 1600 1601 1602 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1608 1609 1610 1611 1612 1613 1614 1615 1616 1617 1618 1619 1620 1621 1622 1623 1624 1625 1626 [1627] 1628 1629 1630 1631 1632 1633 1634 1635 1636 1637 1638 1639 1640 1641 1642 1643 1644 1645 1646 1647 1648 1649 1650 1651 1652 1653 1654 1655 1656 1657 1658 1659 1660 1661 1662 1663 1664 1665 1666 1667 1668 1669 1670 1671 1672 1673 1674 1675 1676 1677 ... 2124 »
  Print  

Jump to: