Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 04:19:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 [411] 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 ... 2125 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4669570 times)
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1115

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 03:14:24 PM

could someone help me?

About 2months ago i downloaded the cryptonote gui wallet, everything was fine... i then put my xmr wallet in cold storage... however i decided to update my wallet as i wanted to buy more and trade, however once i downloaded the new update my password seems to be changed

i had saved copies of password on offline drives, however as i tried to open my old wallet with the old and correct password it keeps saying invalid password

am i missing something?

i did the same update of quazarcoin with no issues it worked perfectly

thanks for all your help

Are you loading the wallet using simplewallet?

right now i am trying to load it using simple wallet, although when i first created the password and carried on using it ..it was with the first Cryptonote gui wallet and not simple wallet..

i have made copies of all three files in wallet + saving password... my password used to work but now says invalid password and its the same password

any help would be much appreciated

you can try and delete (or move to a different folder) everything except for the .keys file, then open simplewallet and type in wallet name (without .keys), and it should rebuild the binary file. I've had this problem when trying to open a wallet created in windows on debian.
firedoner

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 03:16:13 PM

Did you try loading it through the original cryptonote gui that you created it from?

no i havent although i wil try now thanks
firedoner

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 03:19:06 PM

could someone help me?

About 2months ago i downloaded the cryptonote gui wallet, everything was fine... i then put my xmr wallet in cold storage... however i decided to update my wallet as i wanted to buy more and trade, however once i downloaded the new update my password seems to be changed

i had saved copies of password on offline drives, however as i tried to open my old wallet with the old and correct password it keeps saying invalid password

am i missing something?

i did the same update of quazarcoin with no issues it worked perfectly

thanks for all your help

Are you loading the wallet using simplewallet?

right now i am trying to load it using simple wallet, although when i first created the password and carried on using it ..it was with the first Cryptonote gui wallet and not simple wallet..

i have made copies of all three files in wallet + saving password... my password used to work but now says invalid password and its the same password

any help would be much appreciated

you can try and delete (or move to a different folder) everything except for the .keys file, then open simplewallet and type in wallet name (without .keys), and it should rebuild the binary file. I've had this problem when trying to open a wallet created in windows on debian.

so i delete the address.txt file and wallet.bin?? and save or keep the .keys file... should i place the .keys file in app roaming?? or in same folder as simplewallet....

i also created it in windows ... so you had similar issue with invalid password??

thanks a bunch for you assitance i appreciate it
Djinou94
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 03:20:16 PM

^The command is:
Code:
transfer <mixin_count> <addr> <amount> [payment_id]
<mixin_count> is the number of transactions yours is indistinguishable from (from 0 to maximum available)
[payment_id] is needed when you send to the exchanges and you get it from the particular exchange. It's not needed when you send to your wallet or someone else (except if he want to identify if this payment is from you and he'll then give you 64 characters payment ID.
Do not add '<', '>', '[' or ']' in the command.
Example (a valid transfer command, which will send 1 XMR to me with a PaimentID 'bzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzz4'):
Code:
transfer 5 4AyRmUcxzefB5quumzK3HNE4zmCiGc8vhG6fE1oJpGVyVZF7fvDgSpt3MzgLfQ6Q1719xQhmfkM9Z2uNXgDMqYhjJVmc6KX 1 bzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzz4

Thank you
I don't undestand the mixin count what number i have to type? 0 or 5? I want to send XMR to Poloniex

the mixin is kind of the degree of anonymity, so unless you really want to be anonymous, just use mixin count=0; this will also make your transaction faster I think, the higher the mixin the longer the transaction might take.
The higher mixin_count won't make your transaction slower, but it'll make it bigger (regarding to size in bites, not the amount sent). Generally bigger transaction -> higher fee (only if you pass the current transaction size limit because of dust from pools and then you need to send it with 2 or more smaller transactions). Don't use 0 - use at least 1. I'm using 5 most of the times.

Hmm i see...
Thanks mate
jwinterm
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 03:23:03 PM

Also, why don't use 0? I use 0 all the time. I don't really care about anonymity, so why use more than 0?
Do you want your dentist to know how much money you have so he could charge you more eventually? Do you want a concurrent business to know your balances and where you are spending your money (if your suppliers or contractors are also using 0)? Do you want someone to blackmail you knowing the exact balance of your wallet?

Edit: Privacy is a proper term instead of anonymity.

ok, sure. I mean, I have a bunch of wallets with no more than 50 xmr in any of them, and I mostly just send to exchange or back (where else are you gonna send them now?). Is poloniex gonna charge me higher fees because I'm so rich with my tens of xmr? I doubt it. Maybe in the future it will matter to me, but at this time it seems kinda pointless. If anything I'd think you could negotiate a discount for trading huge volume on polo, but they know how much xmr you have in their wallet anyway, regardless of mixin.
jwinterm
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 03:26:54 PM

so i delete the address.txt file and wallet.bin?? and save or keep the .keys file... should i place the .keys file in app roaming?? or in same folder as simplewallet....

i also created it in windows ... so you had similar issue with invalid password??

yea, you just keep the keys file, and keep it in the same directory as simplewallet, not in the app roaming folder. I don't think mine said invalid password, just that the wallet was corrupted or something...it was kind of a while ago tho
Patel
Legendary

Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2014, 03:27:25 PM

Download the latest binaries, extract to a new folder, place the [wallet.bin].keys file in there, start simple wallet, load your wallet name (without the .keys extension), enter password, and it will rebuild the wallet file
jwinterm
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 03:31:09 PM

Also, why don't use 0? I use 0 all the time. I don't really care about anonymity, so why use more than 0?
Do you want your dentist to know how much money you have so he could charge you more eventually? Do you want a concurrent business to know your balances and where you are spending your money (if your suppliers or contractors are also using 0)? Do you want someone to blackmail you knowing the exact balance of your wallet?

Edit: Privacy is a proper term instead of anonymity.

ok, sure. I mean, I have a bunch of wallets with no more than 50 xmr in any of them, and I mostly just send to exchange or back (where else are you gonna send them now?). Is poloniex gonna charge me higher fees because I'm so rich with my tens of xmr? I doubt it. Maybe in the future it will matter to me, but at this time it seems kinda pointless. If anything I'd think you could negotiate a discount for trading huge volume on polo, but they know how much xmr you have in their wallet anyway, regardless of mixin.

What about people that pick up your txs to use with mixing? I'm pretty sure if all txs used for mixing have a mixin of 0, then the transaction is effectively de-anonymized.

Then couldn't someone attack the network (or de-anonymize) the blockchain by just spamming transactions with mixin 0? You could just send from one wallet to another below the limit of tx fee?

I'm not trying to fuck up a other people's anonymity, but I obviously don't understand well enough how it works, because it's not clear to me how it could be mixed with transactions that are already in the blockchain. Also, if it can get fucked up by some idiot sending transactions around with mixin 0, that seems to be kind of a big security flaw, right? Maybe mixin=1 should be enforced in the wallet?
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 03:36:26 PM

Then couldn't someone attack the network (or de-anonymize) the blockchain by just spamming transactions with mixin 0? You could just send from one wallet to another below the limit of tx fee?

I'm not trying to fuck up a other people's anonymity, but I obviously don't understand well enough how it works, because it's not clear to me how it could be mixed with transactions that are already in the blockchain. Also, if it can get fucked up by some idiot sending transactions around with mixin 0, that seems to be kind of a big security flaw, right? Maybe mixin=1 should be enforced in the wallet?

You still have to burn tx fees.

We have a fix coming for this in the near future (it's actually pretty easy), we just need to have some of the other components integrated first eg database.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 5142

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 03:44:38 PM

we just need to have some of the other components integrated first eg database.

Thank you for working on this.  I'd guess the database may be the most important step at the moment.

By the way, I can confirm the fix for the deterministic seed/date restore bug is good.  Tested on 64bit Arch Linux.
firedoner

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 04:56:40 PM

Download the latest binaries, extract to a new folder, place the [wallet.bin].keys file in there, start simple wallet, load your wallet name (without the .keys extension), enter password, and it will rebuild the wallet file

i havent tried this yet, i tried doing it through the old cryptonote gui wallet and it says its initializing and then freezes... is this because it is outdated? good thing is before it initialized it accepted my password

and im going to try the new method you suggested thanks alot for your help
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1130

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 05:13:54 PM

I don't know if it have been asked but what is the formula for calculating fees ?
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 05:30:25 PM

Hi guys, need to test my XMR wallet. Please send some to:

49Tk6cTxcLw3wDh1wC1XamYHgZvWHaCXyjBe2NDHZgxhdUubYcVsroTZEgF4HMgdWbVKbNzcnH5PHPV XFjGANDB3T98KurA

Grin

I just registered for the $PLOTS presale! Thank you @plotsfinance for allowing me to purchase tokens at the discounted valuation of only $0.015 per token, a special offer for anyone who participated in the airdrop. Tier II round is for the public at $0.025 per token. Allocation is very limited and you need to register first using the official Part III link found on their twitter. Register using my referral code CPB5 to receive 2,500 points.
vleroybrown

Activity: 1165
Merit: 506

This is who we are.

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 05:31:47 PM

49Tk6cTxcLw3wDh1wC1XamYHgZvWHaCXyjBe2NDHZgxhdUubYcVsroTZEgF4HMgdWbVKbNzcnH5PHPV XFjGANDB3T98KurA

Grin
I install the wallet and miner and the computers that was on were hit with a reboot.  How do I open up the wallet to check what XMR if any has been deposited by my i5 mining the last few days?
followtheboss

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 05:37:12 PM
Last edit: June 29, 2014, 06:48:49 PM by followtheboss

Grin
I install the wallet and miner and the computers that was on were hit with a reboot.  How do I open up the wallet to check what XMR if any has been deposited by my i5 mining the last few days?

I advise you to take a look at this monero wallet tutorial if you are on windows

https://monerotalk.org/t/bounty-create-a-useful-tutorial-on-how-to-setup-monero/13/8

cheers

vleroybrown

This is who we are.

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 05:39:25 PM

Grin
I install the wallet and miner and the computers that was on were hit with a reboot.  How do I open up the wallet to check what XMR if any has been deposited by my i5 mining the last few days?

I advise you to take a look as this monero wallet tutorial if you are on windows

https://monerotalk.org/t/bounty-create-a-useful-tutorial-on-how-to-setup-monero/13/8

cheers

Thanks I will check it out.. This coin is such a breath of fresh air
giveBTCpls

Activity: 322

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 05:42:51 PM

1 Monero to 1 million dollars in 10 years  Cool

jwinterm
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 05:56:54 PM

I don't know if it have been asked but what is the formula for calculating fees ?

fucking github won't let you search code on a fork, but here are some starting points from bytecoin's code:

https://github.com/amjuarez/bytecoin/search?q=fee&ref=cmdform&type=Code
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 06:01:48 PM

This is what I refer to as the brass ring.  

The developed economies all have far more debt than they can support.  Negative interest rates fix this, but are not sustainable because the major stakeholders in the political economy are the debt holders.  The end-game for debt-based currency is unstable.  Innovation will revolutionize the system, inevitably.  Digitization and globalization of currency is inevitable, because of the efficiencies offered.  Any system which is not digital and global, rent-free, and instantaneous will fail to compete with a system which is.  The leading candidates for transparent and private liquidity, respectively, are BTC and XMR.  Which of those two markets is larger, I dare not speculate.  The maximum entropy assumption is that they are equal.  Since XMR asymptotic emission is less than BTC asymptotic emission, the rational best effort estimate is that 1 XMR > 1 BTC at some point in the future.  To denominate all transactions, the million dollar (USD 2014) XMR is a necessity, in this least-assumption scenario.  

10 years is a reasonable estimate of the time frame.  The U.S. demographic cycle troughs in 2024.  Baby boomers sell their real estate, their stocks, their bonds to fund retirement.  The effect is compounded by a lack of buyers in the X,Y,millennial generations, due to cultural changes, and especially declining household formation rates.  The result is price deflation in savings assets, declining rentier incomes.  This creates a peak of destabilizing pressure on the debt-based money system, and is the most likely time for it to collapse.

Unless you see these points, you may think the slogan-like trite simplicity of 1 Monero to 1 million dollars in 10 years discredits the idea.  To me, it seems almost inevitable.  The future is ours to lose.  Do not lose it.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
vleroybrown

This is who we are.

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 06:06:00 PM

This is what I refer to as the brass ring.  

The developed economies all have far more debt than they can support.  Negative interest rates fix this, but are not sustainable because the major stakeholders in the political economy are the debt holders.  The end-game for debt-based currency is unstable.  Innovation will revolutionize the system, inevitably.  Digitization and globalization of currency is inevitable, because of the efficiencies offered.  Any system which is not digital and global, rent-free, and instantaneous will fail to compete with a system which is.  The leading candidates for transparent and private liquidity, respectively, are BTC and XMR.  Which of those two markets is larger, I dare not speculate.  The maximum entropy assumption is that they are equal.  Since XMR asymptotic emission is less than BTC asymptotic emission, the rational best effort estimate is that 1 XMR > 1 BTC at some point in the future.  To denominate all transactions, the million dollar (USD 2014) XMR is a necessity, in this least-assumption scenario.  

10 years is a reasonable estimate of the time frame.  The U.S. demographic cycle troughs in 2024.  Baby boomers sell their real estate, their stocks, their bonds to fund retirement.  The effect is compounded by a lack of buyers in the X,Y,millennial generations, due to cultural changes, and especially declining household formation rates.  The result is price deflation in savings assets, declining rentier incomes.  This creates a peak of destabilizing pressure on the debt-based money system, and is the most likely time for it to collapse.

Unless you see these points, you may think the slogan-like trite simplicity of 1 Monero to 1 million dollars in 10 years discredits the idea.  To me, it seems almost inevitable.  The future is ours to lose.  Do not lose it.

OK my golden quotes hours are past me as well it seems some of the $.05 words you have used here.  Can you start a discussion thread around this topic without any affinity for particular p2p systems. I very much wonder like to participate/follow that.  Cheers
Pages: « 1 ... 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 [411] 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 ... 2125 »
  Print  

Jump to: