Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 07:59:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 [525] 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 ... 2124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4669117 times)
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 04:59:07 PM

Tell me where im wrong here smart guys. Or if i right.

So you shouldn't need to actually use ring signatures very often. Say that we have 3 inputs in our wallet of 2, 4, 5  and  monero. Say that we need to pay alice 10 monero.

We use alices public address plus nonce_a to generate 1_time_address_a and send our 5 monero input to it.

We use alices public address plus nonce_b to generate 1_time_address_b and send our 4 monero input to it.

We use alices public address plus nonce_c to generate 1_time_address_c and our own public address plus nonce_d to generate 1_time_address_d and send 1 monero from our 2 monero input to 1 _time_address_c and 1 monero from our 2 monero input to 1_time_address_d.

Nothing has been revealed about any parties involves. No ring signatures have been used. The only problem here is that transactions, over time, are becoming more and more dusty. So inorder to avoid creating more dust on the network, the only ring signature you would need to use is to send that 1 monero back to an address you already control instead of a new one that you have just created for yourself.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 05:14:02 PM

It's wonderful to see how Monero PR team works. Everytime there's a painful topic in this thread, some new members arrive and start posting irrelevant bullshit. You're doing great guys!

There are 10k HODLers, some of them join the chat here.  I did not see anything painful in thing that was solved yesterday. It related exchanges. And i am sure they put attention to solve it perfectly, to not lose clients.

Monero have 10k members in PR. Every coin should have them. Everyone needs to get at least one new investor till end of the year.  Grin

This is big, but Monero was 60-70% of Poloniex trades.
Rias you could ask Poloniex to add your coin in Monero exchange. Will prosper for sure.
canonsburg

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 05:15:43 PM

So you shouldn't need to actually use ring signatures very often. Say that we have 3 inputs in our wallet of 2, 4, 5  and  monero. Say that we need to pay alice 10 monero.

We use alices public address plus nonce_a to generate 1_time_address_a and send our 5 monero input to it.

We use alices public address plus nonce_b to generate 1_time_address_b and send our 4 monero input to it.

We use alices public address plus nonce_c to generate 1_time_address_c and our own public address plus nonce_d to generate 1_time_address_d and send 1 monero from our 2 monero input to 1 _time_address_c and 1 monero from our 2 monero input to 1_time_address_d.

Nothing has been revealed about any parties involves. No ring signatures have been used. The only problem here is that transactions, over time, are becoming more and more dusty. So inorder to avoid creating more dust on the network, the only ring signature you would need to use is to send that 1 monero back to an address you already control instead of a new one that you have just created for yourself.

I think you still need ring signatures.

The one time addresses provide unlinkability so that the three payments made by Alice are not known to be sent to the same person receiving.

But the payments don't have untraceability since you can still see that Alice sent all three payments. If ring signatures were used (and assuming you used mixin > 0) then you have the case where an observer can't tell if Alice sent it or another party did.
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 05:29:11 PM

I think you still need ring signatures.

The one time addresses provide unlinkability so that the three payments made by Alice are not known to be sent to the same person receiving.

But the payments don't have untraceability since you can still see that Alice sent all three payments. If ring signatures were used (and assuming you used mixin > 0) then you have the case where an observer can't tell if Alice sent it or another party did.

Yea sure they would be linked if you made them all part of the same transaction. But you could do 3 separate transactions. That way you have unlinkability, untraceability, and no ring signatures (though still the aforementioned problem of creating dust).

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
damashup

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 06:08:58 PM

- Is the presale (2000ETH per BTC right now) a reasonable investment chance? (I couldn't find an upper bound on the coin supply for the presale.)

With no upper limit on coins issued during presale, I have no idea whether 2000ETH equates to 2000XMR (in terms of coin supply) or 2000XDN!

For that reason alone, I'm out... for now.
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 07:48:54 PM

I am personally doing a small survey about XMR for all the people interested in completing it :

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1JqIXkjKpcEpv6lyH6SD22f_Ny0i-rhM9bV21WcOFstw/viewform

Thanks in advance

I have no idea how to answer #2, How much of your networth is in cryptocurrencies? because I have no idea how it should be calculated.

If you have non liquid assets they could not be converted to crypto, at least not easily or likely.  In the case of people who own their home it's often their biggest asset by far.

dreamspark

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 07:49:17 PM

Monero Missives

July 23rd, 2014

Hello, and welcome to our eighth Monero Missive!

Major Updates

3. Along with this change is a new README, that should be a little better at giving the correct build instructions, as well as explaining the development rationale and a more formal staging -> tagged release methodology we will be using moving forward.

4. Since git (and, by extension, github) can be confusing to developers that are working on Monero code (or on any git repositories, really), one of the Monero key contributors, tewinget, will be hosting a Git Crash Course next week Wednesday, July 30th. He will be joined by fluffypony, and all interested are invited to attend. It will be broadcast through Twitch, and questions and discussions will happen in #monero-dev on Freenode during the course. It's going to be relaxed and informal, so if you want to know how to use git properly it's well worth tuning in. It will start at 2pm EST (6pm UCT). Feel free to invite anyone that you think will benefit from it!

Very pleased to see this addressed.

Also big thanks to tewingnet and fluffypony for doing a crash course I'm sure many users will find this useful. Even if you are not a direct monero dev and just a general programmer I'm sure this will be useful as a refresher or introduction whether you know how to use git or not.

Also props to mikezackles for implementing the get_bulk_payments I'm sure busoni is very pleased with that.

Keep up the good work!
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 07:56:49 PM

Nothing has been revealed about any parties involves.

Not true, you have revealed to Alice where your coins came from. If Alice gets coins from multiple customers that share some common history she can link the sources of those coins. In fact a third party can also start to make those links, though individual identities won't be known. However, if some identities are discovered later, that information can then be used to make links with other transactions.

If you are assuming that Alice can't tell where the coins come from without mixing because they are pre-anonymized (mixed), then you haven't really accomplished anything. You still need a mix in between each change of ownership.

Also, once you send the coins to Alice, you can trace what Alice does with them, unless there is mixing. Again, you need a mixing on every change of ownership.
dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 07:59:56 PM
Last edit: July 23, 2014, 08:10:26 PM by dnaleor

Monero is really doing well, just check trading volume:

Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 08:05:55 PM

Nothing has been revealed about any parties involves.

Not true, you have revealed to Alice where your coins came from. If Alice gets coins from multiple customers that share some common history she can link the sources of those coins. In fact a third party can also start to make those links, though individual identities won't be known. However, if some identities are discovered later, that information can then be used to make links with other transactions.

If you are assuming that Alice can't tell where the coins come from without mixing because they are pre-anonymized (mixed), then you haven't really accomplished anything. You still need a mix in between each change of ownership.

Also, once you send the coins to Alice, you can trace what Alice does with them, unless there is mixing. Again, you need a mixing on every change of ownership.

thanks for the insightful reply!

mrs_snow

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 08:44:21 PM

Try to use the QT GUI wallet.
After importing the wallet I get the following error

Code:
Unable to find 'rpcwallet' or 'simplewallet' exectuables

the  'simplewallet' exectuable is in the same directory as the bitmonero-qt binary
(Ubuntu 14.04 x64)
argentinx

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 08:59:30 PM

in the setting of qt gui "i think"
you can set the directory where the executable are
statdude
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 09:04:09 PM

I am personally doing a small survey about XMR for all the people interested in completing it :

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1JqIXkjKpcEpv6lyH6SD22f_Ny0i-rhM9bV21WcOFstw/viewform

Thanks in advance

I have no idea how to answer #2, How much of your networth is in cryptocurrencies? because I have no idea how it should be calculated.

If you have non liquid assets they could not be converted to crypto, at least not easily or likely.  In the case of people who own their home it's often their biggest asset by far.

Where can we keep tabs on ONLY answers?

▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
█ ███████████████████████ █
█ █████     █ ▀██████████ █
█ █████     █   ▀████████ █
█ █████  ██ █     ▀██████ █

█ █████  ▀▀ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████ █
█ █████  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  █████ █
█ █████             █████ █
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
  Website
    Twitter
      Gitlab
      Reddit
    Telegram
Whitepaper
  ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
█ ███▄    ███████▀   ▄███ █
█ ████▌    █████▀    ████ █
█ ████▌     ███▀     ████ █
█ ████▌▐█    █▀ █    ████ █
█ ████▌▐██     ██    ████ █
█ ████▌▐███   ███    ████ █
█ ███▀  ▀███ ███▀    ▀███ █
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
thefunkybits
Legendary

Activity: 1218

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 09:35:00 PM

Going on 16 hours withdrawal from Poloniex to BTER...anyone else having similar issues?

I have now sent support tickets to both exchanges   Huh

ahhh great, so Poloniex API has been sending out transactions without Payment ID, even if you input everything correctly. So now my account wont be credited on BTER and Poloniex can't man up to the mistake and send me a duplicate tx. 100 XMR is effectively lost in the ether.

Stay away from Poloniex, what a bunch of amateurs  Undecided
psterryl

Activity: 87

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 09:58:33 PM

Going on 16 hours withdrawal from Poloniex to BTER...anyone else having similar issues?

ahhh great, so Poloniex API has been sending out transactions without Payment ID, even if you input everything correctly. So now my account wont be credited on BTER and Poloniex can't man up to the mistake and send me a duplicate tx. 100 XMR is effectively lost in the ether.

The coins will have arrived in BTER's wallet. Make sure you provide their support with the transaction ID (TXID) and hopefully, given the circumstances, they'll credit your account. Since they will actually have your coins, they just won't know who's they are.
DogTheHunter

Activity: 784
Merit: 272

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 10:13:08 PM

The coins will have arrived in BTER's wallet. Make sure you provide their support with the transaction ID (TXID) and hopefully, given the circumstances, they'll credit your account. Since they will actually have your coins, they just won't know who's they are.

Don't give up just yet: all is not lost
eizh

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 10:37:56 PM

I have now sent support tickets to both exchanges   Huh

Stay away from Poloniex, what a bunch of amateurs  Undecided

Actually, the exchanges have experience dealing with this situation. Until recently, users were explicitly told to never transfer directly from exchange to exchange because the functionality didn't exist. But many didn't follow instructions and transferred anyway. You can resolve this by submitting a ticket with the receiving exchange and having your txid at hand. Unless you publicly stated the txid somewhere, it does reasonably identify you as the person who should be credited.
phzi

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 10:57:07 PM

I have now sent support tickets to both exchanges   Huh

Stay away from Poloniex, what a bunch of amateurs  Undecided

Actually, the exchanges have experience dealing with this situation. Until recently, users were explicitly told to never transfer directly from exchange to exchange because the functionality didn't exist. But many didn't follow instructions and transferred anyway. You can resolve this by submitting a ticket with the receiving exchange and having your txid at hand. Unless you publicly stated the txid somewhere, it does reasonably identify you as the person who should be credited.
Indeed, you should be able to resolve this with BTER support.

Poloniex is one of the best altcoin exchanges around these days, IMO.  I wouldn't call them amateurs.
Quanttek

Activity: 93

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 12:08:38 AM

It's wonderful to see how Monero PR team works. Everytime there's a painful topic in this thread, some new members arrive and start posting irrelevant bullshit. You're doing great guys!

To be honest the "PR team" consists of David and me. David is doing all the small announcements and interviews and I'm managing social media and we have unfortunately not the time to create enormous amounts of sockpuppets and also we don't really care, if some ducknote trolls are thinking the dev team is childish

Enthusiast. Neither trader, nor miner and also no big investor.
Community Manager for Monero
PM if you need mine to exchange or anti-cheat algorithm for node-cryptonote-pool
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 12:46:46 AM

Poloniex is one of the best altcoin exchanges around these days, IMO.  I wouldn't call them amateurs.

I endorse this view.  Any exchange that will make good their customers after a loss of bitcoin in a security breach is head and shoulders above the crowd.  (At least, once their security practices have been changed to harden their enterprise against further assaults, which PLX has certainly done.)  Moreover, it is by far the most liquid venue for XMR trading.  (Weak though that statement may seem.)

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
Pages: « 1 ... 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 [525] 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 ... 2124 »
  Print  

Jump to: