Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 09:12:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 [533] 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 ... 2124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4668416 times)
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 11:20:21 PM
Last edit: July 25, 2014, 11:31:35 PM by smooth

So here is a question. Is your position that people who are trying to act transparently in the manner you have outlined have no effect what so ever on the privacy of individuals who are concerned about privacy. Or is your position that it has a very small or relatively small effect. If it is the latter than by what mechanism is the privacy of other individuals effected.

It can't have no effect. The nature of mixing is that you are hiding a needle in a haystack. The haystack is the combinatorial explosion of other potential paths that could point to you. (The animated graphic on the cryptonite site is helpful.) If the haystack gets smaller -- either because of people identifying their transactions, or because they aren't using the coin at all -- then it obviously becomes easier to find the needle (i.e. you).

We are working on various ways of making the process of finding the needle harder. Whether it is then "hard enough" for useful privacy will depend on various factors that are hard to quantify right now, including what people consider to be "useful," how much usage there is in the coin generally, and the nature of that usage. Arguably, for some use cases, it is already good enough. For other use cases it will become good enough once improved. For still others it may not be good enough until there are further improvements and/or much greater usage. Finally there may be some use cases for which it may never be good enough. I also think it is possible the latter case may not occur, since combinatorial explosions can be quite large (as in provably infeasible to untangle), but we don't know this yet.

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 03:40:26 AM

So here is a question. Is your position that people who are trying to act transparently in the manner you have outlined have no effect what so ever on the privacy of individuals who are concerned about privacy. Or is your position that it has a very small or relatively small effect. If it is the latter than by what mechanism is the privacy of other individuals effected.

It can't have no effect. The nature of mixing is that you are hiding a needle in a haystack. The haystack is the combinatorial explosion of other potential paths that could point to you. (The animated graphic on the cryptonite site is helpful.) If the haystack gets smaller -- either because of people identifying their transactions, or because they aren't using the coin at all -- then it obviously becomes easier to find the needle (i.e. you).

We are working on various ways of making the process of finding the needle harder. Whether it is then "hard enough" for useful privacy will depend on various factors that are hard to quantify right now, including what people consider to be "useful," how much usage there is in the coin generally, and the nature of that usage. Arguably, for some use cases, it is already good enough. For other use cases it will become good enough once improved. For still others it may not be good enough until there are further improvements and/or much greater usage. Finally there may be some use cases for which it may never be good enough. I also think it is possible the latter case may not occur, since combinatorial explosions can be quite large (as in provably infeasible to untangle), but we don't know this yet.

I guess the important point here is that there is not really any way to stop people from revealing information about their transactions if they chose to. So the devs may as well operate under the assumption that some people will. Hopefully we can at the very least create a social stigma against it and apply social pressure to help prevent people from doing that.

Based on some of the points you made up there, it bring up the point that perhaps we should encourage blocks to always be full. It would be a simple task. Just remove the minimum transaction fee and people would begin to use the blockchain for increasingly marginal purposes. Eventually the demand for space will overtake the supply of space and a market for space will appear. Just like that. Granted there is some pressure towards having some amount of fee or else it isnt worth it to miners to take the risk of getting their block orphaned, but none the less the argument remains just as valid even given this consideration.

*edit* im sure someone is going to point out that right now we are having to load the entire blockchain in ram so if anything, for the time being, the fee should probably be increased. But perhaps this will make more sense in the future when you guys get all of that mess figured out.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
aikklond
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 06:19:26 AM

IMPORTANT

Monero must provide the ability for transparent transactions.

IF NOT then it will never be easily accepted as a transaction medium for important (not casual) payments, for B2B transactions or transactions between the public and the state.

IF i want to pay my dept to the bank with monero I want a transparent transaction!

IF I pay my taxes the same!

IF I run a business and pay my suppliers the same!

IF I buy a house from john doe, the same!

If I pay for subscription to a news paper (online or not), or I pay for my doctor, or I pay for my tickets, or I purchase a gift for me or my family, even If i invest in some stocks or bonds I want noone to know about then I want anonymity!
kbm

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 07:14:25 AM

IMPORTANT

IF NOT then it will never be easily accepted as a transaction medium for important (not casual) payments, for B2B transactions or transactions between the public and the state.

IF i want to pay my dept to the bank with monero I want a transparent transaction!

If I pay for subscription to a news paper (online or not), or I pay for my doctor, or I pay for my tickets, or I purchase a gift for me or my family, even If i invest in some stocks or bonds I want noone to know about then I want anonymity!

What are you on about .. ?

This is why we have a view key, which can be used as a simple proof of payment. We've literally mentioned it probably hundreds of times in this thread alone Smiley

You have the ability to choose to use multiple wallets, where you can use one to pay taxes, business, buy houses .. etc .. and then share the view key, or at least come up with some form of proof of payment.

You have the ability to choose to use one for your doctor, tickets, gifts etc .. and not share your key.

I think the devs are also working on additional ways to assist you with these efforts, but the point is that what you want is already addressed.

Thanks Smiley
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2014, 07:26:18 AM

IMPORTANT

It already does - baked into the protocol is the ability to reveal the one-time key for a transaction in such a way that you will be able to confirm the amount and recipient for someone. What that will look like in practice remains to be seen, and we are looking at ways of doing this (such as a signed message for that tx) that literally can be made public without a reduction in the anonymity set.

Eastwind

Activity: 896

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 07:48:54 AM

In the future, when the blocks are filled more than now, then some transparency transactions will not compromise the other anonymous transactions.
bigj

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 09:24:26 AM

In the future, when the blocks are filled more than now, then some transparency transactions will not compromise the other anonymous transactions.

Just brainstorming here:
Would it be possible on protocol side to artificially add random transactions (with random amount) to each block to ensure a certain fill grade?
equipoise

Activity: 794

Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2014, 09:59:13 AM

^This is not needed and will bloat the blockchain. In Monero a transaction is mixed with past transactions from the blockchain, so an empty block with just one transaction don't compromise the unlinkability at any way.

About me | zRMicroArray - phase 2 - Gene Expression Analysis software | [Weed Like to Talk - Bulgaria] Start a wave of cannabis seminars in Europe | Monero weighted average price stats: moneroprice.i2p
BTC: 1KoCX7TWKVGwqmmFw3CKyUSrKRSStueZar | NMC: NKhYEYpe1Le9MwHrwKsdSm5617J4toVar9 | XMR (Tip me a beer OpenAlias Monero address): tip.changetheworldwork.com
[XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency: 4AyRmUcxzefB5quumzK3HNE4zmCiGc8vhG6fE1oJpGVyVZF7fvDgSpt3MzgLfQ6Q1719xQhmfkM9Z2u NXgDMqYhjJVmc6KX
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 10:18:00 AM

^This is not needed and will bloat the blockchain. In Monero a transaction is mixed with past transactions from the blockchain, so an empty block with just one transaction don't compromise the unlinkability at any way.

I think part of the idea was simply to create more transactions at least during a transition period when the volume of transactions is low.

Surprisingly, the volume of Monero transactions is already not that low. It is about 3% of Bitcoin.

http://monerochain.info/charts/transactions
http://blockchain.info/charts/n-transactions

I guess this is consistent with Monero now being #3 or #4 in exchange volume and a huge portion of all coin usage (especially altcoins) being exchange trading. http://www.coingecko.com/

The big decrease in the Monero transaction volume to early July was due to the pool dust bug getting fixed. We now seem to slowly be trending upward from that low.

EDIT: We are about 20-30% of LTC by transactions/day
http://ltc.block-explorer.com/charts

5w00p

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 05:08:22 PM

*edit* im sure someone is going to point out that right now we are having to load the entire blockchain in ram so if anything, for the time being, the fee should probably be increased. But perhaps this will make more sense in the future when you guys get all of that mess figured out.

Anon136, I understand that you are person with substantial vested interest in XMR and that you are providing your input here in this thread.  Excellent.  What I wonder is: How are you helping the process of getting that "mess all figured out?"  I ask with complete sincerity, without contempt.  I imagine that you donate funds of some kind to the dev team, and if so, that is also excellent.  I pose the question because it seems to me that those of us with interest in the success of XMR could possibly better organize and collaborate our efforts toward the common goal.  So, you seem to be a good person to discuss this with.

I apologize if all this has been hashed out already in this thread, but with 500+ pages and daily activity, subjects are somewhat easily lost in here!
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 05:21:20 PM

Anon136, I understand that you are person with substantial vested interest in XMR and that you are providing your input here in this thread.  Excellent.  What I wonder is: How are you helping the process of getting that "mess all figured out?"  I ask with complete sincerity, without contempt.  I imagine that you donate funds of some kind to the dev team, and if so, that is also excellent.  I pose the question because it seems to me that those of us with interest in the success of XMR could possibly better organize and collaborate our efforts toward the common goal.  So, you seem to be a good person to discuss this with.

I apologize if all this has been hashed out already in this thread, but with 500+ pages and daily activity, subjects are somewhat easily lost in here!

Honestly its a little bit embarrassing but some aspects of cryptonote go over my head. The last community i really got active in was nxt and it was great because i really was able to understand everything about how it worked down to a detailed level (on a level that very few other people do infact) and write about it and explain it to people. When it comes to nxt, since i truly understand how the mechanics work, my suggestions have value. Here i dont really feel that i understand cryptonote well enough to give valuable input. Undecided Hopefully through discussion i will understand it better and will be able to offer valuable suggestions that do help to work out problems like the one mentioned above.

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2014, 05:23:25 PM

Honestly its a little bit embarrassing but some aspects of cryptonote go over my head.
A lack of knowledge is the natural state of man, nothing to be embarassed about. -- Gregory Maxwell Smiley

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 05:29:44 PM

IMPORTANT

Yes if you want to pay your bank or your taxes or run a business ect.. than i think it follows that you need transparent transaction. However it doesnt necessarily follow that one needs to be able to do these things with monero. That would be a matter of opinion.

vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2014, 05:33:01 PM

why not just sell into bitcoin if you want traceability/transparency?
othe

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 05:53:31 PM

Because optional transparency is required against corruption.

Take the dev fund for example, dont you want to know what we received? This is a must have...

Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 06:10:58 PM

Because optional transparency is required against corruption.

Take the dev fund for example, dont you want to know what we received? This is a must have...

Ok so lets say that you want to buy some raw milk with out getting black bagged in the middle of the night. You can send the funds, they can look to see if you sent them and then send the product. So if you cant prove that the funds were sent than it is harder to damage the reputation of the seller but you still can. If one seller is getting more negative feedback in general, even with none of those claims having proof, it will still send a signal to people that perhaps they should use a different seller.

Anyway yea obviously there are advantages to being able to prove that a payment was sent. I wont dispute that.

Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 10:34:02 PM

I would argue that the ability to "prove" your transaction is not hugely important. Such is the nature of cash. You probably wouldn't want to use cash to make public transactions, nor would you be inclined to use Monero.

We should focus on making XMR as untracable and unlinkable as we can (like cash), while continuing to improve usability, and worry less about these convenience features until the coin is more mature. I truly think it will be a mistake to try to make this a do-it-all, something-for-everybody currency.

For usability's sake, there should be a default ambiguity (that isn't zero. Maybe 1 or 2?). Setting specific levels of ambiguity should be an advanced or custom parameter that the average user shouldn't have to think about for common transactions.
Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 10:55:57 PM

... please understand this is such an edge-case that we're taking about protection from an extremely sophisticated attacker with extremely large access to resources.

Such as a certain 3-letter government agency? These are exactly the people we're trying to keep out. Otherwise we'd just stick to coin-join.
carpetbagger

Activity: 258
Merit: 250

You can trust me, I have an avatar

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 10:56:51 PM

Hi Guys,

Just dropping by to let you guys know that Monero is now added to www.lazycoins.com

Check it out - 0% Fees...Enjoy!

https://twitter.com/LazyCoins

I can't see any mention of xmr on your exchange, or your twitter.

Keep clam & hodl on
mrs_snow

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 11:04:15 PM

Try to use the QT GUI wallet.
After importing the wallet I get the following error

Code:
Unable to find 'rpcwallet' or 'simplewallet' exectuables

the  'simplewallet' exectuable is in the same directory as the bitmonero-qt binary
(Ubuntu 14.04 x64)

in the setting of qt gui "i think"
you can set the directory where the executable are

I cannot find any setting
Pages: « 1 ... 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 [533] 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 ... 2124 »
  Print  

Jump to: