Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 06:38:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 [553] 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 ... 2124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4668391 times)
dewdeded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011

Monero Evangelist

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 08:17:43 AM

You know this is altcoin economy where everything is pump and dump, yes, even XMR, but pump and hype aspect is very limited due to high mining inflation.
Time in altcoin scene is measured in days , because the risk of scam and competition is very high and odds are stacked greatly against you, don't believe that XMR is any different even though prominent members are advocating ownership, but they are invested and that's why emotionally connected to their investment. Test of time is unfortunatelly still the best method for evaluation of any altcoin.
The future will show you, that you are wrong with this assumption in Moneros case.
freshprince

Activity: 116
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 08:37:24 AM

You know this is altcoin economy where everything is pump and dump, yes, even XMR, but pump and hype aspect is very limited due to high mining inflation.
Time in altcoin scene is measured in days , because the risk of scam and competition is very high and odds are stacked greatly against you, don't believe that XMR is any different even though prominent members are advocating ownership, but they are invested and that's why emotionally connected to their investment. Test of time is unfortunatelly still the best method for evaluation of any altcoin.
The future will show you, that you are wrong with this assumption in Moneros case.

The future will show you, that you are right even in this case. It's usual case , IMHO.
YoyodyneSystems
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1023

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 08:42:10 AM

The only issue here is inflation.
Stop or massively slow the mining.

No coin's value can withstand PoW inflation.
The lesson has been learned in every coin to date that is PoW.
The only coin that has come close to resisting it is Bitcoin. And even BTC struggles with it daily.
The day everyone gets this inescapable truth will be a good day.

dzonikg28

Activity: 1106
Merit: 508

Bisq Market Day - March 20th 2023

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 08:51:29 AM

The only coin that has come close to resisting it is Bitcoin. And even BTC struggles with it daily.

No..lesson has been learn that POS coins are dead ...if POW inflation is less then $ is then inflation is OK ..if you dont have coins to mine who will support a network..even now mining is more or less unprofitable..you mine just for power bill.
 I see problem in XMR wirh pools that steal coin regulary and that claymore miner that gives him 5%

▄▄██████▄
    ▄████████████▄
  ▄███▀  ▀███████▀  ▄▄
 ▄████      ▀▀▀   ▄███▄
▄████             ▀████▄
█████               ▀██▀
████▌  ███      ███
▀████   ▀▀      ▀▀
 ▀████▄    ▄▄▄▄      ▄█▄
  ▀█████▄   ▀▀    ▄█████
    ▀██████▄▄▄▄███████▀
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
████
████
████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄      ▄▄▄▄    ▄▄▄▄▄          ▄▄███▄▄
█████████████▄    ████  ▄████████▄    ▄███████████▄
█████▀    ▀████   ████  ███▀  ▀██▀   ████▀    ▀████▄
████        ████  ████  ▀████▄▄▄    ████        ████
████        ████  ████    ▀▀▀████▄  ████        ████
 ████▄    ▄████   ████  ▄██▄  ▄███   ████▄    ▄█████
  ▀██████████▀    ████  ▀████████▀    ▀█████████████
     ▀▀▀▀▀▀       ▀▀▀▀     ▀▀▀▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀ ████
                                                ████
                                                ████
.....MARKET DAY - MARCH 20TH 2023....Download Now .#...
uvt9

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 08:53:05 AM

Yeah stick with your scammy PoW/PoS coins.
cyrpi4

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 08:57:07 AM

No..lesson has been learn that POS coins are dead ...if POW inflation is less then $ is then inflation is OK ..if you dont have coins to mine who will support a network..even now mining is more or less unprofitable..you mine just for power bill.
 I see problem in XMR wirh pools that steal coin regulary and that claymore miner that gives him 5%

How many coins are usually stolen by pools? Isn't that make solo -mining more profitable?
Why not to merge mine coins? in this case you get more coins at the same time for the same power bills?
I mine Fantom coin with BCN. IMO, it makes it less risky to mine two coins

Donations: 2235fa09-d5b3-4d5d-9b28-d1281abc1ccb
othe

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 10:27:33 AM

How many coins are usually stolen by pools? Isn't that make solo -mining more profitable?
Why not to merge mine coins? in this case you get more coins at the same time for the same power bills?

None of our listed pools has ever reported to steal coins afaik, i have no idea why people come up with that stuff.

Mergemining is useless as people would just dump the fantom to zero as theres not enough buyorders for fantom to survive a big monero pool mergemining it imho.

Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 12:24:07 PM

Suzuki & professorXY, i guess developers invested some money, but mostly they did their time. But with any way to pump coin they will gain little since they hold little coins. So to temporary pump price with any way possible is not really worth for them. Could be for some bag holder, but most of them are so mature in crypto currencies that know that will really hard achieve this and rather just wait and harvest profit after a year or two when coin will mature.

Thing is that if you would read a bit this thread or threads linked to Monero is, that no one got any free or cheap coins as it happened with coins where pump and dump happens. There are quite few that bought coin at higher price as it is right now. Even i did buy few at 0.005 alto am mining from 24th May, so like 70% time of Monero existence. When i first heard of Monero price was around 0.006, so 50 % higher then now.

Bottom line of why i am writing this is, that whoever will try to earn some profit with buying Monero, to sell it after pump would succeed, will have serious problems achieve that.

I was told merge mining miners are so much less efficient that is way better to mine just Monero. Maybe that changed i read about this like 6 weeks ago.
lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 01:00:17 PM

completely false. this is just short term thinking. in the long term its far better.. so what if the price continually goes lower again and again? It just shakes out the weak pumpers and puts it into the hands of the long term holders that can see the value in it and have the patience to ride these swings out.

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
sab4you

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 02:23:25 PM

Hello,
I have been contributing to XMR for a few days and have some XMR in my windows .NET wallet.  When trying to use some of this and send via my wallet, I get the error "the transaction could not be sent".

I am using min count = 1 and fee is default 0.005, for which my wallet has enough to cover my send amount and fee.

Any ideas?
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1107

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 02:29:56 PM

Hello,
I have been contributing to XMR for a few days and have some XMR in my windows .NET wallet.  When trying to use some of this and send via my wallet, I get the error "the transaction could not be sent".

I am using min count = 1 and fee is default 0.005, for which my wallet has enough to cover my send amount and fee.

Any ideas?

Maybe try and send a smaller amount. Sometimes transactions get rejected for being too large.
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 02:32:44 PM

Hello,

Any ideas?

Have you made any changes to the code that handles transaction broadcasts? If you have developer questions ask on IRC Freenode at "#monero-dev".

The chatroom is quite active and normally you'll get help pretty quickly.
Majormax
Legendary

Activity: 2534
Merit: 1129

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2014, 02:35:55 PM

Disagree. Increase PoW inflation. Coins without inflation die from lack of distribution and interest.
dawie

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

BTC for a better world

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 02:53:02 PM

...so what if the price continually goes lower again and again? It just shakes out the weak pumpers and puts it into the hands of the long term holders that can see the value in it and have the patience to ride these swings out.

I couldn't' have put it more elegantly and concise.

I also like your quotes in your footer quotes since I think btc and xmr are doing exactly that i.e.:
“In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete.” - Buckminster Fuller
"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new" - Socrates

A recent bitcoinmagazine article floats to mind about the paradigm shifts bitcoin is sparking:
http://bitcoinmagazine.com/15054/bitcoin-earth-dont-look-now-paradigm-shifting/

Fascinated by BTC
BTC: 1HWUnvZ3xQykdSJsfyGiGQpZG16uFe8DXJ
XMR: 44fJ52WJGUmceBX6iARnfW6k9p2MFrwkb9AeXRDvQDaZYM8zkA2uuysE164GBGrhkvGh8PAxGUFU5Fq eEmk82Cww3CHdeRS
shojayxt
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 02:58:09 PM

Yes curious isn't it?  They have stated that a new website was just about ready more than once.  If they don't care about a website then they should just say so.  It doesn't make much sense.  It's not rocket science.  My twelve year old niece could put up a better website in a couple of hours.  But in the end it's really about the coin.  And this coin is starting to lose it's appeal.  At least for me.  Especially with the blatant manipulation by a few large holders.      

Really? Your twelve year old niece could prepare guides for every platform on how to install and use Monero, replete with screenshots, in the midst of moving goalposts? Your twelve year old niece could prepare technical reference material for developers that want to use Monero in backend systems? Your twelve year old niece sounds incredible - please put her in touch with us and we will pay her for the couple of hours she has to spend putting this together.

I can understand your annoyance with my post.  Perhaps I should be more clear.   My twelve year old niece could greatly improve the look and feel of the current website and the content on it.  Just go to the webpage and click on the "Getting Started" link.  The layout is horrible.  Text is all over the place, there's not enough left margin, the menu that is on every other page is missing.  I only bring this up because there have been numerous posts from one member or another of the "Team" stating that the "Final Touches" were being put on the new website.  This was over a month ago.  There have also been numerous individuals that have volunteered to help and their offers were declined.  Maybe a new website is about to be unveiled and in that case I'll be eating crow.

My concern is that people that are already having difficulty with some of the various issues that Monero suffers from like lack of a finalized GUI, blockchain size issues, etc...  are going to be put off even more by the sorry shape of the website.  The underlying technology for Monero should always be the highest priority.  But image matters and people go to the web to find information.  When they go to the Monero.cc website all they find is a mess.  Please understand that many people actually place a priority on a good name and fancy logo.  I'm not one of them but I read posts all the time like "Good coin, I like the logo", or "Nice website", without any mention of the actual coin specifications.  That's the way things are and it isn't going to change.  I just think it would be in Monero's best interests to clean up the website.  I should have approached the topic differently than I did but it is what it is and I stand behind my criticism of the website.  As an early miner/investor/holder of Monero I can and will voice my opinion.  I'm sure that in this case it is shared by more than just a few.    

eizh

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 03:51:31 PM

Incidentally, the only two coins with non-negligible market cap and volume are constant emission PoW coins - BTC and LTC. The lesson that been learned is that non-inflationary coins look great to current holders but look like Ponzi schemes to future holders. They die sooner or later when interest wanes. (I'll wait to see if the more innovative ones like NXT and ETH have enough of a value proposition to survive, but the ones that are simply currencies die.)

XMR actually has decreasing emission and greater overall disinflation than the BTC halving schedule so you should be happy on that front.
uvt9

Activity: 300

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 04:26:01 PM
Last edit: August 04, 2014, 04:38:19 PM by uvt9

I'm not one of them but I read posts all the time like "Good coin, I like the logo", or "Nice website", without any mention of the actual coin specifications.

Those people who decide to invest in a coin just because of its logo or fancy website are all idiot, and they deserve to lose money.
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2014, 04:36:18 PM

I can understand your annoyance with my post.  Perhaps I should be more clear.   My twelve year old niece could greatly improve the look and feel of the current website and the content on it.  Just go to the webpage and click on the "Getting Started" link.  The layout is horrible.  Text is all over the place, there's not enough left margin, the menu that is on every other page is missing.  I only bring this up because there have been numerous posts from one member or another of the "Team" stating that the "Final Touches" were being put on the new website.  This was over a month ago.  There have also been numerous individuals that have volunteered to help and their offers were declined.  Maybe a new website is about to be unveiled and in that case I'll be eating crow.

I fully agree with you - the Getting Started thing was a stop-gap that David threw together when we moved from the old Wordpress site to a static HTML dump because the site was getting hammered. We've been chasing our tails to deal with stuff like that whilst get everything else done in parallel, but we are getting there:)

blaaaaacksuit

Activity: 280

Who cares?

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 06:32:05 PM

New missives today perhaps?
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 07:00:27 PM

I do think that "release early, and release often"  is generally the correct open source development approach.  That can't be done willy-nilly with a currency backbone, where value preservation is of primary importance and consensus uptake is de rigeur, but for ancillary stuff like websites, explorers, guis, &c, where the integrity of the platform is not threatened by aggressive and early releases, even small increments of progress should be pushed out ASAP, even if the quality is poor, because the sense of progress is important to gaining mindshare.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
Pages: « 1 ... 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 [553] 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 ... 2124 »
  Print  

Jump to: