Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:47:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 [554] 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667221 times)
drkman

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 07:03:03 PM

Can anyone that has also mined X11 compare the profitability of this miner after all the fees vs and X11?  Is it about a wash or is it a better user of your miner to mine this in terms of daily BTC.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 07:10:17 PM

Does anyone know of a place where bounties are kept up with? If not i will start a thread.

We've rejected the notion of bounties for two reasons:

1. The amount contributed is rarely - if ever - close to a level of compensation a REALLY competent developer (or even a development team) expects. Very occasionally this is mitigated by someone who is willing to take a huge hit based on the potential future value of the bounty.

2. More often than not, it becomes a race to the bottom. A competent developer will spend a lot of time discussing, architecting, scoping, and planning before writing a single line of code. A bounty encourages a writing-code-so-that-it-kinda-works style of development. In the end, we are left with poorly thought out code that we have to maintain.

What do you guys (the devs) think about the possibility of trezor support? Would it even be possible? I'm thinking probably not since the trezor is producing Secp256k1 signatures and inorder to produce a valid signature on monero it would need to be a ring signature (idk what that standard is called but its probably not Secp256k1). Is it just the case that inorder to have something like a trezor it will have to be purpose built for cryptonote platforms?

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Mumbles

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 08:11:17 PM

Yes, this is the thing that drives me crazy about the dev team. They refuse help and then don't do what they say they are going to do. Very unprofessional, especially when trying to build up trust and market share for a new coin. And then just pretend that the statements were not made and never address any lack of progress.

If anyone mentions this obvious problem, then they get labled a troll (not by devs, but by others), rather than a concerned XMR proponent. Not a way to build a rational discussion and ensure trust.

I only bring this up because there have been numerous posts from one member or another of the "Team" stating that the "Final Touches" were being put on the new website.  This was over a month ago.  There have also been numerous individuals that have volunteered to help and their offers were declined.  
aerbax

Activity: 201
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2014, 08:39:30 PM

Mumbles, the Devs very cleared stated what they believe to be important and non-important issues at this stage in the coins development.

The website just isn't important right now.  They've demonstrated this to you time and time again.  Yes, they said they were working on it and intimated that it would be fixed shortly. 

But it hasn't. 

And that's okay to me because I've listened to what they've said about the other issues they're dealing with.  And if what they're saying is correct - the website just isn't important right now.  What good is a sparkling fresh website for a product that isn't ready for the masses?  At best it would be considered a "bait and switch".

Several people have stepped up and said that they would code the design of the website so that the devs don't have to bother.  But the devs would have to bother.  You would expect them to deploy code without reviewing it first?  And that reviewing takes time.  And they've obviously determined that the time to do that is not as important as the time required to fix real bugs.

(And if you're speaking about something other than the website, like actual Monero code, it's on github.  Please show where you or some other complainer has been denied a pull request.)

fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2014, 08:50:49 PM

What do you guys (the devs) think about the possibility of trezor support? Would it even be possible? I'm thinking probably not since the trezor is producing Secp256k1 signatures and inorder to produce a valid signature on monero it would need to be a ring signature (idk what that standard is called but its probably not Secp256k1). Is it just the case that inorder to have something like a trezor it will have to be purpose built for cryptonote platforms?

I haven't dug into the Trezor internals, but I'd guess that it would need a Trezor of its own to work. I'm unsure as to whether or not the hardware is general purpose enough to handle the ring signature stuff. It's definitely something to consider, but then again once there is demand and utility you may find a completely different crowd up and beats Trezor at their own game, you know how these things go:)

fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2014, 08:54:15 PM

Mumbles, the Devs very cleared stated what they believe to be important and non-important issues at this stage in the coins development.

The website just isn't important right now.  They've demonstrated this to you time and time again.  Yes, they said they were working on it and intimated that it would be fixed shortly. 

But it hasn't. 

And that's okay to me because I've listened to what they've said about the other issues they're dealing with.  And if what they're saying is correct - the website just isn't important right now.  What good is a sparkling fresh website for a product that isn't ready for the masses?  At best it would be considered a "bait and switch".

Several people have stepped up and said that they would code the design of the website so that the devs don't have to bother.  But the devs would have to bother.  You would expect them to deploy code without reviewing it first?  And that reviewing takes time.  And they've obviously determined that the time to do that is not as important as the time required to fix real bugs.

(And if you're speaking about something other than the website, like actual Monero code, it's on github.  Please show where you or some other complainer has been denied a pull request.)

Spot on. The design is not and has never been an issue, and everyone who has offered assistance has wanted to offer design assistance. That is the (relatively) trivial part. The thing that is taking time is getting the content right. I cannot begin to tell you the amount of time spent slaving over a turn of phrase and its implications. Nothing is perfect, and everything will change and iterate, but we want to things to be good from the outset and not have to spend inordinate amounts of time redoing it later. It's bad enough that we have to refactor a metric ton of CryptoNote reference code as we go;)

jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1103

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 09:04:18 PM

Hola Moneritos y Moneritas,
I put together a python script to plot the pools by their hashrate. Here is a recent output for the larger pools:

And here is output for smaller pools:

PCFiL has started running the script on his pool server, so you can always check updated versions here: http://xmr.poolto.be/#alternative
Please consider sending some hash his way for helping people see who has all the hash on the network.

The script is available at https://gist.github.com/jwinterm/c417d05d819bbefd22d0 if anyone else is interested, and please let me know if you have any questions or comments Smiley
sirsmokesalot

Activity: 767
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 09:52:49 PM

The only issue here is inflation.
Stop or massively slow the mining.

No coin's value can withstand PoW inflation.
The lesson has been learned in every coin to date that is PoW.
The only coin that has come close to resisting it is Bitcoin. And even BTC struggles with it daily.
The day everyone gets this inescapable truth will be a good day.

Wtf are you talking about, do you even know? With pow there is usually a set number of coins, i.e 21 million. There is no inflation, nothing is hidden, it is usually all spelled out in the coins announcement.

Unlike proof of stake coins, which just continue in perpetuity for what ever % stake they grant over what ever period of time was chosen.

I think you are getting confused with speculation vs inflation. Just stop spreading misinformation, please.

We can't grow when we won't criticize ourselves!
-->>>Unobtanium - The crypto you keep!<<<--
PestoQuinty

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 09:58:13 PM

Guys, can someone explain to me what happened on HitBTC earlier today that made the chart go crazy?
Someone realy bought all the way up to 0.08???

EDIT:
It seems so... Order book shows all trades up to 0.08... so wierd, why would someone do that...?
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 10:05:21 PM

Hola Moneritos y Moneritas,
I put together a python script to plot the pools by their hashrate. Here is a recent output for the larger pools:

And here is output for smaller pools:

PCFiL has started running the script on his pool server, so you can always check updated versions here: http://xmr.poolto.be/#alternative
Please consider sending some hash his way for helping people see who has all the hash on the network.

The script is available at https://gist.github.com/jwinterm/c417d05d819bbefd22d0 if anyone else is interested, and please let me know if you have any questions or comments Smiley

Nice.  But this looks like all the known public pools have over 90% of the HR.  I added the HR #s on the chart and they equal the estimated network rate.  Does this mean that the combined % for solominers, private pools and botnets is <10%?
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1103

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 11:10:50 PM

Nice.  But this looks like all the known public pools have over 90% of the HR.  I added the HR #s on the chart and they equal the estimated network rate.  Does this mean that the combined % for solominers, private pools and botnets is <10%?

Yep, pretty much. I was kinda surprised there wasn't more unknown/solo hashrate as well. The total network hashrate is just a simple estimation based on the current diff, but it matches pretty well with what all the pools are reporting. Let me know if you think something is off though, and I'll be happy to try and fix it.
xulescu

Activity: 263

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 11:15:49 PM

Yep, pretty much. I was kinda surprised there wasn't more unknown/solo hashrate as well. The total network hashrate is just a simple estimation based on the current diff, but it matches pretty well with what all the pools are reporting. Let me know if you think something is off though, and I'll be happy to try and fix it.

We only have an upper bound on solo and private pools if botnets use public pools. I would be interested in some insight from the public pool ops whether there is any way they can identify bots with any likelihood better than a Bayesian guess.
papa_lazzarou

Activity: 649

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 11:30:50 PM
Last edit: August 04, 2014, 11:46:32 PM by papa_lazzarou

Guys, can someone explain to me what happened on HitBTC earlier today that made the chart go crazy?

EDIT:
It seems so... Order book shows all trades up to 0.08... so wierd, why would someone do that...?

Oooops. Someone made a MAJOR mistake surely. 163 Moneros for 10 BTC  Shocked
EDIT:
TheKoziTwo
Legendary

Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 11:58:35 PM

EDIT:

Oooops. Someone made a MAJOR mistake surely. 163 Moneros for 10 BTC  Shocked

I'm waiting for an official explanation.

TooDumbForBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 12:03:49 AM

163 Moneros for 10 BTC

A message from the future.  XMR is so good, it will allow superluminal communications.

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
xulescu

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 12:05:28 AM

Some other fat finger at Gox the other day probably wanted to sell 5 BTC at 800 and managed to sell 800 BTC at 5. That's when I stopped complaining about how much my day sucked.
Joshuar

Activity: 504

eidoo wallet

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 12:08:11 AM

Some other fat finger at Gox the other day probably wanted to sell 5 BTC at 800 and managed to sell 800 BTC at 5. That's when I stopped complaining about how much my day sucked.

Geez, that's insane.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2014, 12:18:18 AM

Ouch! Any screenshot, source, something?

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1967

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 12:24:22 AM

EDIT:

Oooops. Someone made a MAJOR mistake surely. 163 Moneros for 10 BTC  Shocked

I'm waiting for an official explanation.

Just curious, but from whom?

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
xulescu

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 12:31:35 AM

Ouch! Any screenshot, source, something?

Sorry, I was too busy LMFAO'ing. Consider it an anecdote or a fable unless somebody corroborates. Maybe bitcoinwisdom can dredge some data (market sell completely out of the blue with no continuation, quantity between 790 and 820 BTC when market price was within 10 units of quantity - that's all I remember).
Pages: « 1 ... 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 [554] 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: