Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 08:36:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 [577] 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 ... 2124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4668411 times)
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2014, 08:35:38 PM

how can i make the GUI work on OSX?

i just installed Qt libraries but i get this error message.

Code:
/Users/***/Downloads/Monero.app/Contents/MacOS/bitmonero ; exit;
Systems-MacBook-Pro:~ ***$ /Users/***/Downloads/Monero.app/Contents/MacOS/bitmonero ; exit;
dyld: Library not loaded: /Users/ric/Qt5.3.1/5.3/clang_64/lib/QtQuick.framework/Versions/5/QtQuick
  Referenced from: /Users/***/Downloads/Monero.app/Contents/MacOS/bitmonero
  Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap: 5
logout

Try download it again - the OS X build with the static libs has been uploaded. Now I'm fighting through the Windows equivalent...and then on to Linux!

fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2014, 08:41:04 PM

Agree 100%. Design for grandma, and all will be well.

Really nice job overall with the product direction.

One question about the database work. Wasn't that supposed to have started about two months ago? Any progress?

Nioc linked you in, but just to reiterate - the initial abstraction effort was here: https://github.com/tewinget/bitmonero/tree/blockchain, and then about a month ago we moved from abstraction to refactoring and further abstraction, which is here: https://github.com/tewinget/bitmonero/tree/bc2. It's a lot of work that requires an incredible amount of discussion before something is done so that we cater for edge-cases. Incredibly painful, but we're getting there:)

skunk

Activity: 329
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 09:22:49 PM

is this the future gui wallet account?

https://github.com/Neozaru/bitmonero-qt

it builds fine under linux but it never ends importing the existing wallet account...
sorry but i can't wait Smiley

saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 09:27:40 PM

how can i make the GUI work on OSX?

i just installed Qt libraries but i get this error message.

Code:
/Users/***/Downloads/Monero.app/Contents/MacOS/bitmonero ; exit;
Systems-MacBook-Pro:~ ***$ /Users/***/Downloads/Monero.app/Contents/MacOS/bitmonero ; exit;
dyld: Library not loaded: /Users/ric/Qt5.3.1/5.3/clang_64/lib/QtQuick.framework/Versions/5/QtQuick
  Referenced from: /Users/***/Downloads/Monero.app/Contents/MacOS/bitmonero
  Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap: 5
logout

Try download it again - the OS X build with the static libs has been uploaded. Now I'm fighting through the Windows equivalent...and then on to Linux!

Sweet. Playing around with the interface now, I love how different it is from the vanilla Bitcoin-Qt. It reminds me of Ableton Live UI, which is cool.

I donated another 100 XMR for your hard work!

cisahasa
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 09:36:26 PM

hi
 is this coin still the most secure coin out there?

last time i could not even use my own coins..

parker928

Activity: 294

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 09:42:35 PM

hi
 is this coin still the most secure coin out there?

last time i could not even use my own coins..

If you couldn't use your coins it is likely because you were doing something wrong, or NOT doing something right.

The answer to your question though, lies within your definition of "secure"
In terms of network hash rate, no, there are other coins with higher hash rates and thus more difficult to perform a 51%
In terms of being safe from prying eyes, yes, this coin is absolutely the most secure.
parker928

Activity: 294

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 10:13:51 PM

What does everyone think about whats happening with drk right now

If i'm not mistaken this is like the fourth or fifth time their dev team has failed to produce, seems like market cap is getting raped...

Do you guys think some of the value being taken from dark coin will move into monero?
superplus

Activity: 475
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 10:21:16 PM

What does everyone think about whats happening with drk right now

If i'm not mistaken this is like the fourth or fifth time their dev team has failed to produce, seems like market cap is getting raped...

Do you guys think some of the value being taken from dark coin will move into monero?

i guess its unlucky timing with the bitcoin drop aswell, the release seems to be fine except some minor updates which followed.
release got delayed often there is a lack of confidence i think,
basically almost all coins are down so its maybe not up to the release
whoknowsthisnose

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 12:40:58 AM

As traders and trodlers know, sometimes the handling of Monero seems to be a bit special for exchanges and users. Forgotten payment-id, blockchain not syncronized etc. are every-day-events, as I know, because most of my own trading is with Moneros.

Then you need support and find that there are large differences in the quality of support. This has motivated me to open a thread "quality comparison of the exchanges' support":

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=743446.0

I want to invite all of you to report your experiences with the support of whatever exchange you are using, as a helpful support for other users and - hopefully - inspiration for the exchanges to improve their support.
myagui
Legendary

Activity: 1154
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 12:44:53 AM

That's an education thing that we'll have to battle through - getting people to understand that there's no central money control or anything. However, I think the conversation is going to be a lot easier.

"You just create a new account, which is completely secure and free, and you can create as many different accounts as you need for you, your wife, your business, whatever. And the great thing is that there's no government or company that controls your money, just like with Bitcoin, so you are in control of your money."

fulffypony: While I generally agree with the use of 'account' replacing 'wallet', I'd like to offer a suggestion to the team's consideration:

Wallet -> Account
Address -> Account Number (or Account ID, or something in those lines)

For people unfamiliar with crypto currencies in general, the function/meaning of "address" finds it's obvious counterpart in the traditional monetary systems, in the expression "account number" (unless there's some other expression that eludes me). I think this particular understanding is vital in making the shift to "account" successful.

This would be a brief, yet sensible description, that integrates both terms:
Creating an account in the P2P Monero network, is the process of generating a Monero account number, under the control of an individual's private key (or seed?).

PS1: I think that there's some conflating the everyday use of 'wallet' as the "location/resource/data that holds funds for an individual", and the use of 'wallet' as the "piece of software that an individual uses to manage/operate on his funds". Is there a name yet for the new GUI, the upcoming Monero Client? (/hint /suggestion)

PS2: I struggled to express my thoughts concerning the terminology, hope this makes enough sense to spark some discussion, or perhaps feedback from any of the (many) brighter minds in this community.

And now that you've doomed my "monujo.com" domain worthless, I'll let it go for 3 Moneros, any takers? 2 Moneros? 1 Monero? Hell No!
Cheers,
~ Myagui

nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 01:51:07 AM

That's an education thing that we'll have to battle through - getting people to understand that there's no central money control or anything. However, I think the conversation is going to be a lot easier.

"You just create a new account, which is completely secure and free, and you can create as many different accounts as you need for you, your wife, your business, whatever. And the great thing is that there's no government or company that controls your money, just like with Bitcoin, so you are in control of your money."

fulffypony: While I generally agree with the use of 'account' replacing 'wallet', I'd like to offer a suggestion to the team's consideration:

Wallet -> Account

For people unfamiliar with crypto currencies in general, the function/meaning of "address" finds it's obvious counterpart in the traditional monetary systems, in the expression "account number" (unless there's some other expression that eludes me). I think this particular understanding is vital in making the shift to "account" successful.

This would be a brief, yet sensible description, that integrates both terms:
Creating an account in the P2P Monero network, is the process of generating a Monero account number, under the control of an individual's private key (or seed?).

PS1: I think that there's some conflating the everyday use of 'wallet' as the "location/resource/data that holds funds for an individual", and the use of 'wallet' as the "piece of software that an individual uses to manage/operate on his funds". Is there a name yet for the new GUI, the upcoming Monero Client? (/hint /suggestion)

PS2: I struggled to express my thoughts concerning the terminology, hope this makes enough sense to spark some discussion, or perhaps feedback from any of the (many) brighter minds in this community.

And now that you've doomed my "monujo.com" domain worthless, I'll let it go for 3 Moneros, any takers? 2 Moneros? 1 Monero? Hell No!
Cheers,
~ Myagui

I just reread the recent posts about wallet vs account and didn't see possible terminology for addresses mentioned.  Did I miss it?

One thing that I have seen confuse people with using btc is, what exactly is a private key and what do they do with it?  Public keys being addresses/accounts seem straight forward to them.
PestoQuinty

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 01:52:27 AM

I just reread the recent posts about wallet vs account and didn't see possible terminology for addresses mentioned.  Did I miss it?

One thing that I have seen confuse people with using btc is, what exactly is a private key and what do they do with it?  Public keys being addresses/accounts seem straight forward to them.

Private key is your password.

EDIT: Sorry, i see now i may have misunderstood your post. Its confusing for the users, not an actual question.
RentaMouse

Activity: 252

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 01:56:38 AM

{snip}

Wallet -> Account

{snip}

Seems a logical continuation of the policy of presenting a familiar frame of reference to "new to crypto" users to me, their "bank" is Monero and so naturally their "account" is identified by a "number".

More generally speaking there can be a downside to making things appear too familiar and easy to use, counter-intuitive as that may sound. Having written a few "idiots guide to..." for this sort of thing the biggest challenge is usually explaining the security side of things in simple/familiar terms, because most of the procedures experienced users might consider basic security don't have real world examples; e.g. "somebody cloned your credit card and spent your money without permission? Never mind, we'll reimburse you." doesnt happen with cryptocurrency.

Pool admin @ http://cryptonotepool.org.uk/ - for miners who value reliability (and like orange)!
Currently donating all of our 1% pool fee to the dev fund - mine at CryptonotepoolUK and support XMR at no extra cost!
Joshuar

Activity: 504

eidoo wallet

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 02:00:08 AM

{snip}

Wallet -> Account

{snip}

Seems a logical continuation of the policy of presenting a familiar frame of reference to "new to crypto" users to me, their "bank" is Monero and so naturally their "account" is identified by a "number".

More generally speaking there can be a downside to making things appear too familiar and easy to use, counter-intuitive as that may sound. Having written a few "idiots guide to..." for this sort of thing the biggest challenge is usually explaining the security side of things in simple/familiar terms, because most of the procedures experienced users might consider basic security don't have real world examples; e.g. "somebody cloned your credit card and spent your money without permission? Never mind, we'll reimburse you." doesnt happen with cryptocurrency.

But you can't clone coins Tongue

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 02:09:08 AM

how about that candle Smiley

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 02:20:05 AM

Its nice to see with all the rest of the crypto slump going.

I've made a couple little lucky trades in and out of these big buys...  I love action.
Triffin

Activity: 952
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 02:25:44 AM

{snip}

Wallet -> Account

{snip}

I think the wallet/account MUST be "familiar and easy to use"  ..
The simpler the better ..
I'm in that "wider population non-technical user" demographic ..
I'm in my 60's, somewhat computer literate, willing to try and learn  ..

That said, the "key" imho to mass adoption of any crypto is going to
be 100% on the ease of useablility/security/functinality of the wallet/account ..

Please consider the NXT brain wallet as a potential wallet/account to model after ..
It has several attractive features ..

1) Wallet is not resident on my local PC or other computing device
( this is huge as I don't have to worry about hard drive crashes/
local viruses stealing coins/ lost wallet.dat files/ me making mistakes etc etc

2) the wallet/client features  a 'one click' download and self extraction process
for intial setup and periodic upgrades/updates ( see nxtra.org )

3) All security features I've come across with crypto are focused on thwarting
access to one's wallet/account .. BUT .. and this is key ... nothing ( that I've seen ) to
authorize a "withdrawal" before it occurs .. ie If someone successfully hacks your
wallet/account the 'deed is done' and your coins are gone .. That 'withdrawal
authorization' step needs to be there ( from within the wallet/account )

If you technical types/developers can produce a wallet/account that's as
intuitive to use as the typical online brokerage  account or online banking
account that most of my contemporaries are familiar with ..
Then that coin wins ..

Thanks for listening ..

Triff ..

arielbit
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1059

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 02:33:12 AM

Why monero.cc website is offline.
Works for me.
The website was offline 18 minutes.

Website offline with cloudflare error using google chrome.  But I can access it normally using Tor browser. Too bad i cannot download the blockchain.  Sad

What country are you connecting from?

Philippines.

Philippines here..the site is good..using firefox here
eizh

Activity: 560

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 02:38:10 AM

is this the future gui wallet account?

https://github.com/Neozaru/bitmonero-qt

it builds fine under linux but it never ends importing the existing wallet account...
sorry but i can't wait Smiley

No, that's a separate effort. The 'official' one is still a work-in-progress and isn't up on github yet.
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 03:49:31 AM

Rejoice, we made the right choice. Smiley

Pages: « 1 ... 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 [577] 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 ... 2124 »
  Print  

Jump to: