Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:06:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 [601] 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667229 times)
presstab
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

Blockchain Developer

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 06:31:48 PM

david is a fine gentleman I'm just questioning what this could bring to monero.
Maybe some experiment could be ported to Monero (like populating the Github wiki and developping a Raspberry wallet - also, HYP proved that an ANN can be both self-moderated and widely accepted) but for the most part, HyperStake is just an unrelated project. As kbm mentioned "it's okay to support more than one coin". HyperStake was started more than one month ago and my personal goals were (and still are):
  • working with someone I like (presstab)
  • having PoS wallets done right (and HYP probably has the best High-PoS wallet out there)
  • joining an experimentation-friendly coin

Remember this: assume good faith. It does wonder to your mental health (at least it does to mine)

Just wanted to introduce myself, I am the primary dev for HyperStake. David has brought me into the XMR world and I quite enjoy the coin. I think it has many technological innovations that set it apart from the hundreds of other coins.

I wouldn't be worried about David's role in HYP.  We created HYP so that we could have our own coin wallet to modify and add RPC commands to, test hard forks, etc. So far we are having a lot of fun with it because we love PoS.  But I don't think HYP and XMR are competitors or even in the same ballpark at all. One is a fun project and the other is a serious crypto that may change the way we look at currency.

Projects I Contribute To: libzerocoin | Veil | PIVX | HyperStake | Crown | SaluS

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jungian
Legendary

Activity: 930
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 06:37:39 PM

david is a fine gentleman I'm just questioning what this could bring to monero.
Maybe some experiment could be ported to Monero (like populating the Github wiki and developping a Raspberry wallet - also, HYP proved that an ANN can be both self-moderated and widely accepted) but for the most part, HyperStake is just an unrelated project. As kbm mentioned "it's okay to support more than one coin". HyperStake was started more than one month ago and my personal goals were (and still are):
  • working with someone I like (presstab)
  • having PoS wallets done right (and HYP probably has the best High-PoS wallet out there)
  • joining an experimentation-friendly coin

Remember this: assume good faith. It does wonder to your mental health (at least it does to mine)

Just wanted to introduce myself, I am the primary dev for HyperStake. David has brought me into the XMR world and I quite enjoy the coin. I think it has many technological innovations that set it apart from the hundreds of other coins.

I wouldn't be worried about David's role in HYP.  We created HYP so that we could have our own coin wallet to modify and add RPC commands to, test hard forks, etc. So far we are having a lot of fun with it because we love PoS.  But I don't think HYP and XMR are competitors or even in the same ballpark at all. One is a fun project and the other is a serious crypto that may change the way we look at currency.

I wouldn't either. I think it's great that people work with whatever makes them happy. Experimenting with crypto in general at all angels, how can this be a bad thing for a dev?'

Good luck David. Lets hope you bring some good ideas from everywhere!

I think Monero (XMR) is very interesting.
https://moneroeconomy.com/faq/why-monero-matters
pumpNdump

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 06:48:36 PM

coutinuous innovation is needed to boost XMR.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 07:06:56 PM

I heartily disagree.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1967

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 07:11:01 PM

Hey i've spent a while looking for that post fluffypony made a while back on this thread about to create a super-secure xmr paper wallet. Did anyone bookmark it, the search functions on here aren't too helpful? thanks!  Smiley

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 07:19:25 PM

That is true for 99.9% of altcoins, but not XMR. Goes well with your name, though.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
Brilliantrocket

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 07:23:12 PM

Of the 7 devs working on Monero, how many are working on it full time?
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 07:26:29 PM

Hey i've spent a while looking for that post fluffypony made a while back on this thread about to create a super-secure xmr paper wallet. Did anyone bookmark it, the search functions on here aren't too helpful? thanks!  Smiley

Is this what you were looking for? 

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583449.msg8246348#msg8246348
digicoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 07:33:43 PM

I heartily disagree.

Let dark market call you or you need to call them
perl
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1190

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 07:34:25 PM

Present transaction with 0.005 or 0.01 Fee is allways added in blockchain .

For the last hour . I have see 8 block with transaction bad fee.
http://chainradar.com/xmr/block/7521c05e1a1a43300d920031bb1611f57ec7f20d54b71f13442c82d5da477384
http://chainradar.com/xmr/block/152831718396c7d5ff90b136c835bceb397f5445cb4d208896ee316bf12ead04

I think is blockchain stop grow is only for one raison attack is stoped for other motif.
now, Is allways possible flood blockchain.
Jungian
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 07:40:22 PM

I'm looking to mine for the pool that pays the most in donations to the XMR-devs. Does anyone know which pool that is?

sammy007
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 07:41:51 PM

I'm looking to mine for the pool that pays the most in donations to the XMR-devs. Does anyone know which pool that is?

OMG, dude, look at OP. There is a table with donation percents.
perl
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1190

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 07:42:52 PM
Last edit: August 27, 2014, 07:53:37 PM by perl

I think for total amount is moneropool.com
for pourcentage see table on first page.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 07:43:17 PM

I heartily disagree.

There seems to be this myth floating around that if an alt coin just adds enough cool features that the price will explode.

I too don't buy into that way of thinking.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 07:50:10 PM

On the month, at present, per cryptonator, XMR outperformed 329 alts, underperformed 164 alts, with a 5.05% loss.

Adding features is harmless, until they impede utility.  The largest upside potential comes from attaining to de facto monopoly of a liquidity provider niche.  It is easy to destroy any such aspirations, in order to gain a more easily secured but much lower reward goal, by means of features.  But only features which are entirely consistent with that highest goal can be tolerated without sacrificing it.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
dewdeded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011

Monero Evangelist

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 07:56:07 PM

Who can port http://bitfreak.info/?page=tools&t=bitsci to Monero?

That would be really cool to have Monero processing software in PHP, to finally start an Monero economy.

I am ready to run an Monero shop with some good digital content, but no payment processing software is avaible for Monero.

Maybe we pool money and pay someone to port it? Can't be that expensive.
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1967

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 07:56:33 PM

Is this what you were looking for? 

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583449.msg8246348#msg8246348

Bingo!! Thanks so much! Smiley

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484

Still wild and free

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 08:12:52 PM

I hope with the BTSX&BTCD implosion coming ahead, more people will finally realize this arms race is not about "fancy" feature. The purpose of a cryptocurrency is not to develop stuff like a "chat" (it's trendy currently apparently), be it a "shadow chat", a "dark chat" or whatever. Even less a "Web 3.0" (sic).

Any cryptocurrency whose success relies only on fancy shiny features is doomed to fail.
Any cryptocurrency whose sustainable success relies on weekly-announced new "surprise" features, is also doomed to fail.
Any cryptocurrency whose sustainable success relies on adding new layers of complexity to reach one of its *original* goal (for instance, providing prooven anonymity), is equally doomed to fail.
Any cryptocurrency that does not have enough to bring on the table compared to bitcoin, is trivially doomed to fail.

These reasons only are sufficient to discard 99.9% of altcoins, including some of the largest market caps seen currently. Once people get tired of being ripped off by crap marketing, they'll listen to the voices of reason.

My advice to anybody arriving in cryptoland to invest more than short term: stick with BTC. If you want to go risky and play the "potential early adopter game", invest in XMR. And no other cryptocurrency than these two, as there is simply no fundamental reason to do so.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 08:14:30 PM

Hey everyone,

What security measures do you recommend for your cold storage keys. I was thinking more about measures to prevent hacking/theft of the keys. Should i be paranoid to the point of creating the wallet in an air gap and never look into it until I need it? (Lets not go into the "Ruiu says badBIOS leaps air gaps" territory).

Regarding backup I'm doing the _strongly encrypt your files and stored them in offline and online sources and don't forget the deterministic seed_ routine. If anyone as further thoughts on backup that would be appreciated also.

Remember, rockets are old school. We are going to the moon in a space elevator. Keep calm and get some moar.

Peace!

My suggestion is as follows:

1. Take any machine you have lying around, even your normal workstation. You may find it easier to use an older computer that has no wifi or bluetooth if you're particularly paranoid.
2. Create a Linux or Windows bootable disk, and make sure you have the Monero binaries on the same disk or on a second disk (for Linux make sure you have also downloaded copies of the dependencies you will need, libboost1.55 and miniupnpc for instance).
3. Disconnect the network and/or Internet cables from your machine, physically remove the wifi card or switch the wifi/bluetooth off on a laptop if possible.
4. Boot into your bootable OS, install the dependencies if necessary.
5. Copy the Monero binaries to to a RAM disk (/dev/shm in Linux, Windows bootable ISOs normally have a Z: drive or something)
6. Don't run the Monero daemon. Instead, using the command line, use simplewallet to create a new wallet.
7. When prompted for a name, give it any name, it doesn't really matter.
8. When prompted for a password, type in like 50 - 100 random characters. Don't worry that you don't know the password, just make it LONG.
9. Write down (on paper) your 24 word mnemonic seed.
10. Write down (on your phone, on paper, on another computer, wherever you want) your address and view key.
11. Switch off the computer, remove the battery if there is one, and leave it physically off for a few hours.

There you go - the wallet you've created was created in RAM, and the digital files are now lost forever. If some magical hacker manages to somehow get the data, they will lack the long password to open it. If you need to receive payments, you have the address, and you have the view key if needed. If you need access to it, you have your 24 word seed, and you can now write out several copies of it so that you have an offsite copy (eg. a bank deposit box). Due to the nature of the key you can write it as part of something else - eg. write a fake love letter to your wife so that the 24 words on the left hand side are your key or whatever. Then write a bunch of extra love letters. That way, if your deposit box is ever discovered, it'll be disregarded as unimportant love letters.

The part I did not get clarity on is how you input/generate your 24 word mnemonic seed. Is there a tutorial for this that I missed?

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Jungian
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 08:16:10 PM

Hey everyone,

What security measures do you recommend for your cold storage keys. I was thinking more about measures to prevent hacking/theft of the keys. Should i be paranoid to the point of creating the wallet in an air gap and never look into it until I need it? (Lets not go into the "Ruiu says badBIOS leaps air gaps" territory).

Regarding backup I'm doing the _strongly encrypt your files and stored them in offline and online sources and don't forget the deterministic seed_ routine. If anyone as further thoughts on backup that would be appreciated also.

Remember, rockets are old school. We are going to the moon in a space elevator. Keep calm and get some moar.

Peace!

My suggestion is as follows:

1. Take any machine you have lying around, even your normal workstation. You may find it easier to use an older computer that has no wifi or bluetooth if you're particularly paranoid.
2. Create a Linux or Windows bootable disk, and make sure you have the Monero binaries on the same disk or on a second disk (for Linux make sure you have also downloaded copies of the dependencies you will need, libboost1.55 and miniupnpc for instance).
3. Disconnect the network and/or Internet cables from your machine, physically remove the wifi card or switch the wifi/bluetooth off on a laptop if possible.
4. Boot into your bootable OS, install the dependencies if necessary.
5. Copy the Monero binaries to to a RAM disk (/dev/shm in Linux, Windows bootable ISOs normally have a Z: drive or something)
6. Don't run the Monero daemon. Instead, using the command line, use simplewallet to create a new wallet.
7. When prompted for a name, give it any name, it doesn't really matter.
8. When prompted for a password, type in like 50 - 100 random characters. Don't worry that you don't know the password, just make it LONG.
9. Write down (on paper) your 24 word mnemonic seed.
10. Write down (on your phone, on paper, on another computer, wherever you want) your address and view key.
11. Switch off the computer, remove the battery if there is one, and leave it physically off for a few hours.

There you go - the wallet you've created was created in RAM, and the digital files are now lost forever. If some magical hacker manages to somehow get the data, they will lack the long password to open it. If you need to receive payments, you have the address, and you have the view key if needed. If you need access to it, you have your 24 word seed, and you can now write out several copies of it so that you have an offsite copy (eg. a bank deposit box). Due to the nature of the key you can write it as part of something else - eg. write a fake love letter to your wife so that the 24 words on the left hand side are your key or whatever. Then write a bunch of extra love letters. That way, if your deposit box is ever discovered, it'll be disregarded as unimportant love letters.

The part I did not get clarity on is how you input/generate your 24 word mnemonic seed. Is there a tutorial for this that I missed?

This happens automaticly when you create a new wallet

Pages: « 1 ... 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 [601] 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: