Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 10:20:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 [603] 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 ... 2124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4669115 times)
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1968

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 10:30:18 PM

Is there any progress in getting the client to use the blockchain from the HDD as opposed to loading it all in RAM?
Looking forward to when an official GUI is put out. I don't mind the command-line [although this is my first time using a command line wallet],
but I think a GUI would really open doors for adoption.

Good job to the devs and community.  Smiley

I'm pretty sure the official won't be out anytime very soon, but on the main page I believe there are a few other GUI implementations.

The devs have clearly stated this is not about rushing stuff - backend work first, wallets later etc..

As for me, I'm an old school mainframe/Unix dude.. So, this CLI is like kid stuff to me, and as for the memory deal, yeah it sucks, but that's why I only run the daemon when i need to sync my wallet and the chain. i can deal for now, i'm in no rush. besides, once that wallet hits, the price is going up, so now is the time to buy IMO..

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 10:32:03 PM

Is there any progress in getting the client to use the blockchain from the HDD as opposed to loading it all in RAM?

1. Virtual memory with swap. This apparently works okay, only 100 MB or less of physical RAM is reported to be needed most of the time.

2. Wait for database

Looking forward to when an official GUI is put out. I don't mind the command-line [although this is my first time using a command line wallet],
but I think a GUI would really open doors for adoption.

The official GUI will be great but don't discount the third party ones. We have gone out of our way to support third party developers. Not everything good is going to come from the core team, not now or ever.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 10:35:54 PM
Last edit: August 28, 2014, 12:56:53 AM by smooth

1.  Where/how do i retrieve my 24 word seed from after the wallet has been created exactly?

You need to record it when you create the account  (aka "wallet"). You should record it securely when you create the wallet but if not you can retrieve it using the seed command.

2.  What is a viewkey, how do i get it, and how is it used/what is it used for? (sorry new term to me, not sure why)?

You need to record this as well. Currently there is no use for the view key, as tools to use it don't yet exist. In principle it allows viewing the transactions for an account without the ability to spend the coins.

3.  Assuming i send XMR to my cold storage address, how can i ever verify the xmr made it, without sweeping the wallet?

The view key will eventually allow you to do that but for now you can look up the transaction in a block explorer by txid to make sure it was confirmed into the block chain.

4.  How would one go about sweeping the wallet, ie, the procedure to get your wallet back using the 24 words (sorry for the ELI5 request here, but i've had trouble with btc offline wallets, so i don't care to mess anything up.. especially if it's a fairly good chunk of xmr if you get my drift.

simplewallet ----restore-deterministic-wallet
owlcatz
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 10:47:31 PM

1.  Where/how do i retrieve my 24 word seed from after the wallet has been created exactly?

You need to record it when you create the account  (aka "wallet").

2.  What is a viewkey, how do i get it, and how is it used/what is it used for? (sorry new term to me, not sure why)?

You need to record this as well. Currently there is no use for the view key, as tools to use it don't yet exist. In principle it allows viewing the transactions for an account without the ability to spend the coins.

3.  Assuming i send XMR to my cold storage address, how can i ever verify the xmr made it, without sweeping the wallet?

The view key will eventually allow you to do that but for now you can look up the transaction in a block explorer by txid to make sure it was confirmed into the block chain.

4.  How would one go about sweeping the wallet, ie, the procedure to get your wallet back using the 24 words (sorry for the ELI5 request here, but i've had trouble with btc offline wallets, so i don't care to mess anything up.. especially if it's a fairly good chunk of xmr if you get my drift.

simplewallet ----restore-deterministic-wallet

Man, you guys are fantastic, thank you.

just a few smallish questions from that great post -

1. I've created a wallet before. but i don't recall getting the 24 words. is it in the logfile or something?
2. Ditto on the viewkey - don't recall that either, but i made this wallet from the first version btw... (and have deleted my logfiles a few times, so this address is not really good anymore (in sig i mean) in practical terms.
4. What files do i need for that, just the binaries, or do i need to keep my *.keys file?

thanks again, sorry for being a moron, just need to do this 100% correct, too much at stake! Sad

Edit right now my XMR is on an exchange. a good one, albeit i'm not going to leave them there. HELL no.. no goxxing for me thanks! Smiley

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
psterryl

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 10:56:11 PM

Man, you guys are fantastic, thank you.

just a few smallish questions from that great post -

1. I've created a wallet before. but i don't recall getting the 24 words. is it in the logfile or something?
2. Ditto on the viewkey - don't recall that either, but i made this wallet from the first version btw... (and have deleted my logfiles a few times, so this address is not really good anymore (in sig i mean) in practical terms.
4. What files do i need for that, just the binaries, or do i need to keep my *.keys file?

thanks again, sorry for being a moron, just need to do this 100% correct, too much at stake! Sad

Edit right now my XMR is on an exchange. a good one, albeit i'm not going to leave them there. HELL no.. no goxxing for me thanks! Smiley

1. I don't think you can get the deterministic seed for 'old-style' wallets, only for ones created in newer versions. You can always create a new wallet and then transfer any funds over from your old one though.
2. Same as above, its a new feature that's not been present in old style ones.
3. Huh
4. Since you don't have the deterministic 24-word seed, you need to keep the .keys file backed up. If you create a new wallet (just copy the binaries to a new folder and run them), it will create a new wallet and give you the 24-word seed and viewkey. You can choose to then back up the .keys file, save the paper key somewhere safe, or both.

Note that I'm not sure how the 24-word seed works with wallet passwords. I still have an old-style wallet so I've never used the word seed before. Not sure if you just need the seed (like Electrum) or if you need both seed + password.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 10:59:07 PM

Note that I'm not sure how the 24-word seed works with wallet passwords. I still have an old-style wallet so I've never used the word seed before. Not sure if you just need the seed (like Electrum) or if you need both seed + password.

You just need the seed. The password is used to encrypt the file but the seed allows access to the coins at that address without a wallet file.

In fact if you forget or lose your password but saved the seed somewhere, you can recover your account/wallet using the restore procedure. You will be asked for a new password for the new account/wallet file.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 11:01:27 PM

I don't know maybe. You can look. The older wallets didn't provide a seed, so all you have in that case is the wallet file itself.

You only need the .keys file.

If you don't have the seed I suggest you just create a brand new wallet (offline if you are paranoid) save the seed securely then send the funds to that wallet.
owlcatz
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 11:43:03 PM

I don't know maybe. You can look. The older wallets didn't provide a seed, so all you have in that case is the wallet file itself.

You only need the .keys file.

If you don't have the seed I suggest you just create a brand new wallet (offline if you are paranoid) save the seed securely then send the funds to that wallet.

Awesome thanks guys but i guess this is my real question (I know my old wallet is old/worthless, i thought i implied i would create a new one, like in fluffyponys post etc.

So - When i create a new wallet - do i get shown the seed and viewkey? or again, do i have to go look in the log - sorry no access to my wallet right now Sad

thanks again x10!

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
darlidada

Activity: 723
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 12:18:42 AM

if you type "seed" within simplewallet, it will show you your 24 words
owlcatz
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 12:22:39 AM

thanks, that worked, and my wallet is like from early May..

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
owlcatz
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 12:43:21 AM

Ok. is there a command to get that tx id from wherever i'm sending from? (meaning from simple wallet?? As I would probably/likely send it from the exchange a temporary simplewallet address, then on to the paper address).

So, thats me final question, I promise, and thanks again, much appreciated.

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 12:55:32 AM

Ok. is there a command to get that tx id from wherever i'm sending from? (meaning from simple wallet?? As I would probably/likely send it from the exchange a temporary simplewallet address, then on to the paper address).

When you send from simplewallet it gives you the txid right away. When you send from an exchange they usually give you the txid on their wallet/balances/withdraw page although it was reported here recently that one of the exchanges did not.
owlcatz
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 01:06:20 AM

When you send from simplewallet it gives you the txid right away. When you send from an exchange they usually give you the txid on their wallet/balances/withdraw page although it was reported here recently that one of the exchanges did not.

damn you are indeed smooth. thank you very much sir, i really appreciate all you guys do, and i mine on a pool that give you xmr, so hopefully it helps... (scam pool ops aside, as i know little about them?).. Cheesy

Edit - i've created my live usb boot disk. i'm about to copy the bins to it. wish me luck! Cheesy 

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 03:33:12 AM

Doesn't work for me.  All I get is "unknown command".  Yes my wallet has a seed.  I deleted it from the log file long ago.

The help command reveals nothing useful for seed.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 04:17:39 AM

Doesn't work for me.  All I get is "unknown command".  Yes my wallet has a seed.  I deleted it from the log file long ago.

My help commend does show seed:

Code:
  seed                 Get deterministic seed

Maybe you have an old version?

saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 04:17:52 AM

Hey guys, just wanted to announce that I will have Monero t-shirts available for purchase next month. I plan to donate all profits to the devs.

Check out the thread here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=759621.0

nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 05:02:51 AM

Doesn't work for me.  All I get is "unknown command".  Yes my wallet has a seed.  I deleted it from the log file long ago.

My help commend does show seed:

Code:
  seed                 Get deterministic seed

Maybe you have an old version?

I downloaded the June 11 version from the first page.
blaaaaacksuit

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Who cares?

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 05:46:51 AM

Hey guys, just wanted to announce that I will have Monero t-shirts available for purchase next month. I plan to donate all profits to the devs.

Check out the thread here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=759621.0

Those look pretty good dude!
ebite

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 05:56:41 AM

Tried the wallet, very different to Bitcoin-QT alike wallet. I need more time to understand XMR.

QBK / QiBuck QPZAQzhwLG25oiP4Z8QWUJ2b9zqfNHnq7L
Jungian
Legendary

Activity: 930
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 06:02:22 AM

Tried the wallet, very different to Bitcoin-QT alike wallet. I need more time to understand XMR.

It takes a while to get used to. You can start reading up on the tech here https://cryptonote.org/inside/

I think Monero (XMR) is very interesting.
https://moneroeconomy.com/faq/why-monero-matters
Pages: « 1 ... 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 [603] 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 ... 2124 »
  Print  

Jump to: