Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:19:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 [395] 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 ... 535 »
  Print  
Author Topic: | Nxt | Blockchain Platform | Proof of Stake | Official  (Read 940984 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
barabbas
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 12:59:37 AM

The browser wallet still unreachable and the page "under maintenance". For several days.

Amateur hour...

My browser & desktop wallets work fine - although I'm running NRS 1.8.3....

I believe you are mistaken. Here's the link and see for yourself: https://wallet.mynxt.info/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
martismartis
Legendary

Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 05:34:19 AM

The browser wallet still unreachable and the page "under maintenance". For several days.

Amateur hour...

Update to 1.9.2 at https://nxtforum.org/nrs-releases/nrs-v1-9-2/
barabbas
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 05:37:06 AM

Amateur hour...

Still not working. Amazing, simply amazing.
CryptKeeper
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1055

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 06:07:27 AM

Amateur hour...

Here's an update from the site operator of wallet.mynxt.info:
A little update.

Last night the hoster of the wallet server performed extensive checks in the hard drives and early today they reported that no errors had be found, so we tried to bring up the server again. It worked for a bit but then started again to fail with the same I/O errors, so the MyNxt wallet needs to stay in maintenance for a bit longer. The hoster will do now a full hardware check in the server to isolate once and for all what the issue is, we'll report as soon as it has been fixed.

Again apologies for the down time, hardware issues are a pain specially since there's hardly anything we can do remotely.

I know it's a pain in the ass but please keep in mind that this is a free service run by volunteers, not a multi-million dollar business. At least the wallets and their balances are kept safe as they do regular backups. They are actively looking into other hosting options right now to avoid such outages in the future.

Follow me on twitter! I'm a private Bitcoin and altcoin hodler. Giving away crypto for free on my Twitter feed!
barabbas
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 06:34:14 AM

Amateur hour...

A little update.

Last night the hoster of the wallet server performed extensive checks in the hard drives and early today they reported that no errors had be found, so we tried to bring up the server again. It worked for a bit but then started again to fail with the same I/O errors, so the MyNxt wallet needs to stay in maintenance for a bit longer. The hoster will do now a full hardware check in the server to isolate once and for all what the issue is, we'll report as soon as it has been fixed.

Again apologies for the down time, hardware issues are a pain specially since there's hardly anything we can do remotely.

I know it's a pain in the ass but please keep in mind that this is a free service run by volunteers, not a multi-million dollar business. At least the wallets and their balances are kept safe as they do regular backups. They are actively looking into other hosting options right now to avoid such outages in the future.

Then, perhaps, since the service is offered in the website, someone should contract a reliable one instead of leaving it to amateurs. I mean, this gives an extremely poor technological look to the whole project, don't you think? We are talking something very, very, VERY basic here that every other coin, much below the standards of NXT, has been successfully offering for months if not years already.
LiQio
Legendary

Activity: 1181
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 07:04:25 AM

^ Let's not exaggerate.
It's a third party web-wallet, that has nothing to do with Nxt core.

Hardware issues sometimes need a little time.
If you want it to run more reliably then send them some funds, so the guys can move to better infrastructure.
martismartis
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 11:51:33 AM

^^^
Use lite wallet from www.supernet.org
Damelon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 01:37:27 PM

Amateur hour...

A little update.

Then, perhaps, since the service is offered in the website, someone should contract a reliable one instead of leaving it to amateurs. I mean, this gives an extremely poor technological look to the whole project, don't you think? We are talking something very, very, VERY basic here that every other coin, much below the standards of NXT, has been successfully offering for months if not years already.

You will recall that mynxt has been operating normally for two years.
This time, something went wrong server-side and the team has been working hard to get it fixed.
However, if the party that provides the actual hosting is not cooperating, things become more complicated.
The Mynxt team is working as quickly as possible to get the server accessible again, for you and all other customers.

Call it amateurish if you like, that's your judgement. I call it professional to communicate to everyone that things are not as they should be and work as hard as possible knowing people are always ready to point out the days things are wrong when you have been reliable for years.

Member of the Nxt Foundation | Donations: NXT-D6K7-MLY6-98FM-FLL5T
Join Nxt Slack! https://nxtchat.herokuapp.com/
Founder of Blockchain Workspace | Personal Site & Blog
PilotofBTC
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 02:18:07 PM

I've had 1,000 NXT in my wallet for a few days now, but I'm still not forging. All my deposits have over 1,440 confirmations - what gives?  Thanks in advance for any help Smiley

Did you turn on forging?
raphma

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 02:30:22 PM

yeah, because when you run a big project, any problem that happens will be amateurish.... big companies dont do that right?...
menace.bit

Activity: 457

Generation Blockchain.

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 08:36:12 PM

this is very nice. NXT online wallet is back online: https://wallet.mynxt.info

now i can see my ARDOR count. lol Smiley
CryptKeeper
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1055

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 09:37:01 PM

Mynxt wallet up and running again, here's what happened:
Ok guys, it was a tough couple days but https://wallet.mynxt.info is now running in a new server, with redundancy so potential hardware failures in the future or datacenter downtimes are not a problem anymore.

The old server was giving worrying I/O errors, and after a complete hardware check support told us that they could find no problems, so we left the dedicated server at Hetzner and migrated the service to AWS EBS. A couple details need polishing (email notifications might not be 100% working yet) but we're back online.

Follow me on twitter! I'm a private Bitcoin and altcoin hodler. Giving away crypto for free on my Twitter feed!
VanBreuk

Activity: 460

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 11:09:42 PM

In response to this, and since I've been in charge for the server migration done today, a few points for you to consider.

MyNXT has been always (and at the moment still is) a third party service. It is not run with Nxt community funds. The original developer, abuelau, decided to leave the project last year and SuperNET went on to fund the hosting so the service would stay up. Because both the block explorer and the online wallet were useful tools for the community, and run interesting tech. The code needed fixes and updates, a Nxt hard fork with API changes was around the corner back in January, and Tosch and myself took development and operation of MyNxt. Since then, and mostly thanks to Tosch's work, a lot of enhancements have happened after the first mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. Neither tosch or me (or SuperNET) has made any money so far from running MyNXT.

The wallet had been hosted in a high-range dedicated server in a top company, and working good until three days ago. When a hardware failure like this happens (triggered apparently by a sudden power off in the machine) you rely on support to solve the issue, but the many support messages and hours of hardware checks over a day and a half could not locate the problem. So today we decided to migrate the wallet service to a hosting network where this type of issue is prevented. These things take a few hours, so the service was back online at late afternoon.

The fact the MyNXT wallet has lately gained a lot of attention as an easy way to create a NXT account and operate basic transactions is great. And your message is a sign that MyNXT is becoming an even more useful service, and that is good to see. But with what I just explained maybe you will agree that calling people "amateurs" and telling off the Nxt crew for hardware problems in a third party server is a bit off.  
barabbas
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 11:27:38 PM

In response to this, and since I've been in charge for the server migration done today, a few points for you to consider.

MyNXT has been always (and at the moment still is) a third party service. It is not run with Nxt community funds. The original developer, abuelau, decided to leave the project last year and SuperNET went on to fund the hosting so the service would stay up. Because both the block explorer and the online wallet were useful tools for the community, and run interesting tech. The code needed fixes and updates, a Nxt hard fork with API changes was around the corner back in January, and Tosch and myself took development and operation of MyNxt. Since then, and mostly thanks to Tosch's work, a lot of enhancements have happened after the first mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. Neither tosch or me (or SuperNET) has made any money so far from running MyNXT.

The wallet had been hosted in a high-range dedicated server in a top company, and working good until three days ago. When a hardware failure like this happens (triggered apparently by a sudden power off in the machine) you rely on support to solve the issue, but the many support messages and hours of hardware checks over a day and a half could not locate the problem. So today we decided to migrate the wallet service to a hosting network where this type of issue is prevented. These things take a few hours, so the service was back online at late afternoon.

The fact the MyNXT wallet has lately gained a lot of attention as an easy way to create a NXT account and operate basic transactions is great. And your message is a sign that MyNXT is becoming an even more useful service, and that is good to see. But with what I just explained maybe you will agree that calling people "amateurs" and telling off the Nxt crew for hardware problems in a third party server is a bit off.  

Thank you for the detailed explanation. And for solving the issue. What you seem to miss here is that nobody cares if it is a third party service. Until now, everyone thought, rightfully, that this was a tool offered by NXT and therefore NXT was responsible for its functioning. Similarly, no one cares if you guys make money or not on it (why should you?). The only thing people care about is that such an important tool works flawlessly ALL the time (or if it goes down it does for a minimal period of time). Hundreds of coins offer this same service and it is very rare -I have never seen it before- that a failure of this magnitude happens. It is especially alarming that it happens only days after the snapshot period started, when, logically, many NXT holders would have transferred their coins from the exchanges to MyNXT online wallet --as was advised right here on this thread. Such migration and any complications derived from it should have been foreseen in order to prevent any disruption of the service, if for nothing else, to avoid people getting alarmed. As it is, the faith of the people in the system has been shaken by this incident that reveals amateurism, lack of preparedness and, also, an intended justification of what has happened because "we don't make money on it", which is a very poor kind of attitude in general.

I hope many people will continue using the MyNXT wallet. I for one, will not.
martismartis
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 05:57:50 AM

^^^^

Maybe you can start new service like Mynxt by yourself and make it better? And please, don't use words like "everyone", as a lot of people know that it is third party service and is run voluntary by respected devs, thank you. Please join www.nxtforum.org or nxtchat slack for getting most updated and correct information. For slack there is invite site nxtchat.herokuapp.com
barabbas
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 06:46:53 AM

^^^^

I'll substitute "everyone" for "a lot of people" from now on then, since it makes such a difference to you. I'll keep using "everyone NEW", if you don't mind though, for that was, clearle, the purpose of the term in this instance.

Why would I start a new service that most coins in existence already have... just like I was led to believe here, NXT (reliably) had? Why would I be interested in doing anything at all for a project in which I am contemplating to or I am an investor when I know the immense majority of the coins in existence, and 99% of those being forged, belong to the same small group of people? That wouldn't be very smart on my part, would it?

Thank you for the suggestion but I prefer to limit my contributions to this forum and this forum only. In my experience (although I respect counter opinions) the more abundant the sources of the same knowledge the more confusing it becomes... which in the case of NXT, for it's own over-complexity, can be very daunting.
martismartis
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 06:55:40 AM

^^^^

I'll substitute "everyone" for "a lot of people" from now on then, since it makes such a difference to you. I'll keep using "everyone NEW", if you don't mind though, for that was, clearle, the purpose of the term in this instance.

Why would I start a new service that most coins in existence already have... just like I was led to believe here, NXT (reliably) had? Why would I be interested in doing anything at all for a project in which I am contemplating to or I am an investor when I know the immense majority of the coins in existence, and 99% of those being forged, belong to the same small group of people? That wouldn't be very smart on my part, would it?

Thank you for the suggestion but I prefer to limit my contributions to this forum and this forum only. In my experience (although I respect counter opinions) the more abundant the sources of the same knowledge the more confusing it becomes... which in the case of NXT, for it's own over-complexity, can be very daunting.

Do you have any proof of bolded statement? Any link or other source could help.
barabbas
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 07:17:18 AM

^^^^

You have every proof of that in the pages of this very thread -and others about the subject- right here in bitcointalk. Just off the top of my head I believe the original owners of all the coins were 72 individuals and except for one most of them still own the bulk of the coins. Naturally distribution would be a bit better now, after 3 years, but ... If you are really interested, the information is on this very thread, for the most part.

Edit to add.- or in cached versions since now this thread is censored and more probably than not many inconvenient posts may have disappeared. It is common knowledge though in the crypto world. And, by the way, there was nothing claimed as scammy since it was up for sale, publicly, and available for peanuts to anyone interested. It just so happened that only those 72 people bought the lot.
martismartis
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 07:28:26 AM

^^^^

You have every proof of that in the pages of this very thread -and others about the subject- right here in bitcointalk. Just off the top of my head I believe the original owners of all the coins were 72 individuals and except for one most of them still own the bulk of the coins. Naturally distribution would be a bit better now, after 3 years, but ... If you are really interested, the information is on this very thread, for the most part.

Edit to add.- or in cached versions since now this thread is censored and more probably than not many inconvenient posts may have disappeared. It is common knowledge though in the crypto world. And, by the way, there was nothing claimed as scammy since it was up for sale, publicly, and available for peanuts to anyone interested. It just so happened that only those 72 people bought the lot.

Well, bitcointalk is not the source you could trust 100% Smiley To much fud and trolling here Smiley Blockchain is the source and blockchain never lies. Yes, it was 72 people bought in NXT at the begining and I was late 1 week to do so Smiley Maybe just people couldn't believe first POS could work, it was completely new approach, and didn't participate in ICO. It was free for anybody to participate.
barabbas
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 07:48:55 AM

^^^^

I never said differently. But that hardly changes the facts stated above.
Pages: « 1 ... 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 [395] 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 ... 535 »
  Print  

Jump to: