Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:22:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Necronomicon thread: Altcoins which are dead.  (Read 43841 times)
babsjoe

Activity: 490
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 05:17:42 AM

Amazing list and well put together! The list is long and yet not exhaustive! I know there are more dead altcoin not cpture inyour list and in few months time, many altcoin will follow suit as a result if bitcoin price that seem not to be slowng down. What if there is documentation of dead token. What will it look like?
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
marckenigsberg

Activity: 164
Merit: 19

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2017, 07:41:05 AM

Would anyone here be interested in working with me to try do something about this list?

Depends on what - but sure.

#crysx

Great, thanks I'll pm you so we can speak.
In the meantime I am finding discovery a real challenge.
There doesn't seem to be somewhere that lists all coins with data on date, hashrate, markets etc.
I have been looking one by one.
I was thinking about using APIs but there is still a lot of data missing.
Any suggestions guys for profiling?

hyperminer

Activity: 121
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 09:30:30 AM

Blazecoin (BLZ) Market cap well above $5000 death threshold. Classed as living?
wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 01:08:44 AM

Maybe look for coins on CMC with no active markets? It would have to be no active markets for a length of time, like a couple months.
CraniumDad

Activity: 4
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 10:53:50 PM

Cypherfunk (FUNK) not dead as of end of 2017.
cryptocommoner

Activity: 112
Merit: 5

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 04:47:11 PM

I would love to see this updated with current coins.  This was really great to read over and see all the failures and look into why they failed.
benag

Activity: 3

View Profile
March 24, 2018, 12:51:39 PM

Can any one help me revive Bat coin?

I accidentally bought this shit on cryptopia thinking it is bat.

Ben
skelethon

Activity: 168

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2018, 12:53:23 PM

Dogecoin's not dead but do you guys think it will die soon or in the future? One of its main features is the low fee costs and speed, I think some other altcoin will come along, if it not has already, and just be superior in every way.
marckenigsberg

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2018, 08:31:53 AM

Dogecoin's not dead but do you guys think it will die soon or in the future? One of its main features is the low fee costs and speed, I think some other altcoin will come along, if it not has already, and just be superior in every way.

I think a lot of the appeal for doge is its kind of cult status because of how it started.
It also gets used by pumpers often so I dont think its going to die soon.

marckenigsberg

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2018, 08:39:55 AM

I spent  lot of time on this thread and thinking about the idea of failed and dead coins.
In the end i decided to do something about it with my new project.
Disclaimer: I am doing an ICO for it.
I know a lot of people hate on ICOs and many are scams but this was the most effective route I saw to implement it.
so, point of this post:
Is not to promote my ICO but ask you guys for genuine feedback about the idea.
I am trying to do what i think makes sense and am open to any suggestions.
Thanks!
(link is in my signature, I don't want to appear too spammy lol)

gjhiggins
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2018, 09:02:18 AM
Last edit: April 29, 2018, 09:15:50 AM by gjhiggins

genuine feedback about the idea.

You're not publishing your figures so its impossible to be specific. The idea's been tried several times, it falls at the first fence. Altcoin code is open source, is typically widely distributed and as designed, is highly resistant to being subject to the kind of centralised control that you seek to impose.

Cheers

Graham

marckenigsberg

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2018, 09:41:03 AM

Thanks Graham.

I'm not looking impose centralised control but a central gateway.
Obviously that's predicated on me being able to get control of projects, so I totally get your point.
I've been working on this for a while and based on the assumption that we can get some project owners to agree then the user part becomes easier.
I know it's a big assumption but our reaching bodes well so far.

btw what is he first fence in this example? Taking over the projects?

gjhiggins
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2018, 01:45:01 PM

btw what is he first fence in this example? Taking over the projects?

Gaining exclusive control over widely-distributed published open source software is a practical problem. I take it you have looked at BARR and Nexus as well as the other ill-conceived approaches that assume a purely monetary underpinning of what is actually a social phenomenon.

Cheers

Graham
marckenigsberg

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2018, 08:43:00 PM

I did have a look at them.
I have tried to adjust elements to make this more community oriented.
I appreciate your feedback and I understand now where you're coming from.
I don't want to hijack this thread so I'll shut up now but I look forward to updating here with results either way in the future.
Thanks!

GrandcoinGDC

Activity: 20

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 09:20:47 AM

Grandcoin [GDC] is definitely alive ! Smiley (and so cheap currently)

https://grandcoin.info
https://twitter.com/GrandcoinGDC
https://discordapp.com/invite/ZrdbSNZ

marckenigsberg

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2018, 09:16:11 PM

We have partnered with Deadcoins.com to be able to get a better view of the failed projects landscape.
This is a long term partnership which will also help users of the Deadcoins community to feed directly into CoinJanitor.
Here is the release of the partnership but watch this space for more info as it unfolds https://www.coinjanitor.io/news/coinjanitor-and-deadcoins-com-join-forces-to-clean-up-crypto/

last7minutes

Activity: 518
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 31, 2018, 08:23:39 AM

I suspect that unfortunately some of the altcoins that exist now can die before the end of 2018. I am talking about smaller coins that are unknown and that have no future. Take for instance, this one: https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/encryptotel-eth/
gewealiw

Activity: 49

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 11:38:13 AM

Great work and valuable data. Surely, a portion of the coins will dependably bite the dust for different reasons, the primary of which is its infamous unfitness as a digital money. This must be dealt with as unavoidable. Be that as it may, the other piece of such coins will locate its commendable application and the entire of the digital money might be fortified and broadly brought into our hands
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2018, 11:42:29 AM

A chance to resurrect the dead. Buy 62 of the recovered Cryptsy coins: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4913271.0
Cryddit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
August 21, 2018, 08:21:49 PM
Merited by YarkoL (10), Last of the V8s (1)

EDIT: I'm shutting this topic down.  I gave up on keeping track of this ages ago, because it just got too depressing for me and besides I couldn't keep up.   

People keep sending me messages asking me to take things off the list insisting that so-and-so isn't dead.  If you have successfully revived something, congratulations.  But this list is now a historical artifact and I'm not keeping it up to date. Nor am I interested in debating what "dead" means in terms of a block chain coin.

Usually it turns out that they are just reusing the name of so-and-so, which is, yes, still dead.  Alternatively, they may have a live block chain of so-and-so which still does not appear on the significant exchanges, or which has still such an insignificant market value, that it is, yes, still dead.  And these points are just too tedious to debate and I don't even have time to research them all.

There are also messages I find particularly depressing, or which make me angry, and those are from people who are digging zombie so-and-so up for one more lurch around the gravestone, in a necromantic version of a pump and dump scam, using the fact that "so-and-so has been around a long time" to reassure their prospective bagholders.

Anyway:  To everybody reading this list:  These coins were what I considered dead, at the time I was maintaining the list.  Some of them may not have stayed dead, and that's okay.  Some of them may be in the hands of people now pretending they aren't dead, as part of a scam, and that's not okay.  I'm not going to help you decide which.

To everybody who has something that appears on this list and believes it isn't dead:  That's fine.  Maybe it isn't.  I am not updating the list, so consider this as information about its history, rather than information about its present.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]  All
  Print  

Jump to: