Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 03:03:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 [163] 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 ... 402 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [NAUT] Nautiluscoin - First Coin w/Stabilization Fund - Digishield  (Read 901796 times)
IncreaseMyT

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2014, 11:20:28 PM

Can we get a vote on whether to go PoS?

I dont think so. For once the active community here is clearly in favour of POS, there was no one to raise any concerns. I believe BK wants NAUT as an investment, with investors getting rewarded for holding the coins. If that is the intention of NAUT, POS is clearly the way to go. POW is not exactly a benefit for early buyers, as new coins are constantly generated and devalueing investments. The community is dicsussing changing to POS since weeks now, most of the work is done, we wont go back.

POS has some disadvantages, no question. What happened to VRC would have been pretty severe for any coin, POW or POS, and what happened to NAV and C2 was bad, but could have been prevented if people were staking their coins.
So what's to stop some "big" investor buying a ton of NAUT...Not very decentralized..is it? We know Bryce has over 100,000 of them. When it comes time to stake with PoS, does he control the network?  Really guys...come on'  
control the network with 100k naut? is that a whale?

even if someone buys up all the coins to crash it, you will have plenty of time to sell at a profit while he is buying, so I don't see that as a big risk at all actually, as far as I am aware it hasn't happened.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
scrypto

Activity: 534
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 11:21:24 PM

Unlike many shitcoins I think POS is perfect for NAUT and the type of altcoin it's trying to be (investment vehicle rather than a mainstream currency)

HKBvM

Activity: 398

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 11:24:27 PM

I dont think so. For once the active community here is clearly in favour of POS, there was no one to raise any concerns. I believe BK wants NAUT as an investment, with investors getting rewarded for holding the coins. If that is the intention of NAUT, POS is clearly the way to go. POW is not exactly a benefit for early buyers, as new coins are constantly generated and devalueing investments. The community is dicsussing changing to POS since weeks now, most of the work is done, we wont go back.

POS has some disadvantages, no question. What happened to VRC would have been pretty severe for any coin, POW or POS, and what happened to NAV and C2 was bad, but could have been prevented if people were staking their coins.
So what's to stop some "big" investor buying a ton of NAUT...Not very decentralized..is it? We know Bryce has over 100,000 of them. When it comes time to stake with PoS, does he control the network?  Really guys...come on'  

Nothing really. Its hard to say exactly how many coins you would need for an 51% attack, that would depend on how many coins are staling and coin maturity. 30% might be a good estimate. That means one has to buy roughly 1.6M NAUT at todays prices that would be an investment of 180.000 USD, in reality much much more as the price would start moving up. 100k coins is not nearly enough to attack the network.

And I might add, most people are just sick of dumping miners. Mining - as far as I know - was invented to secure the blockchain, for that the miners were getting a reward - coins. Some of them didnt sell all the coins and became "investors". That was decentralised minng. Today's mining is not like that. Multipools auto-dumping every mined coin, renting rigs to insta dump what is the most profitable coin. Not a very appealing concept to me. Everyone feel free to disagree and correct me.

IncreaseMyT

Activity: 406

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2014, 11:31:34 PM

the thought of someone buying 1.6m naut kind of turns me on now that I think about it, how sweet would it be  Cheesy Tongue Shocked
hokus_pokus

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 11:32:22 PM

Nothing really. Its hard to say exactly how many coins you would need for an 51% attack, that would depend on how many coins are staling and coin maturity. 30% might be a good estimate. That means one has to buy roughly 1.6M NAUT at todays prices that would be an investment of 180.000 USD, in reality much much more as the price would start moving up. 100k coins is not nearly enough to attack the network.

Ok, Sorry. Forget the 100k coins. Bad math on my part. But like you said. 1.6M NAUT @ roughly $180,000 could be an issue for the network. We have also seen other coins such as C2 where most of the coins were stuck on exchanges and some "big whale" was able to run some attack on it.

Personally I would love to see this coin PoW X11 with DGW or a Digishield fix. But whatever, if PoS has been decided. So be it
HKBvM

Activity: 398

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 11:40:42 PM

Ok, Sorry. Forget the 100k coins. Bad math on my part. But like you said. 1.6M NAUT @ roughly $180,000 could be an issue for the network. We have also seen other coins such as C2 where most of the coins were stuck on exchanges and some "big whale" was able to run some attack on it.

Personally I would love to see this coin PoW X11 with DGW or a Digishield fix. But whatever, if PoS has been decided. So be it

I was hit by the C2 attack myself. I lost a considerable amount (indirectly through increased money supply there), though I still support C2 as they have dedicated devs that are really trying hard to succeed, sometimes they run into troubles, but they deserve my support I think.

Anyway, as I wrote there are pros and cons. If you want to read a really lengthy discussion, have a look at the nobl thread (page 380+) or emc2, they are currently discussing the switch to POS and have indeed a Poll about it.
hokus_pokus

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 11:45:26 PM

I was hit by the C2 attack myself. I lost a considerable amount (indirectly through increased money supply there), though I still support C2 as they have dedicated devs that are really trying hard to succeed, sometimes they run into troubles, but they deserve my support I think.

Anyway, as I wrote there are pros and cons. If you want to read a really lengthy discussion, have a look at the nobl thread (page 380+) or emc2, they are currently discussing the switch to POS and have indeed a Poll about it.
Thanks for your thoughtful response. I lost some on C2 myself. I will definitely look at the nobl and emc2 threads. Have a good one!
whatdidshedo

Activity: 448

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 11:54:09 PM

i'm for POS in case you guys are pooling that, if we don't transition what's the point of holding cause pow creates to much supply and there is not enough demand and price will fall and it is evident in pow coins.

chocobo

Activity: 540
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 01:23:57 AM

Just remember that you need 51% of staking coins, not 51% of the total. Blackcoin made an improvement to PoS so once we see what type of PoS BK is doing we could vote to go for a PoS v2.
baby222

Activity: 1008
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 01:43:33 AM

This coin deserves more attention. 
Stay strong
drakoin

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

see my profile

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 01:43:58 AM

-->

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, [no address given] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Apache/2.2.22 (Ubuntu) Server at explorer.nautiluscoin.com Port 80
?

Yes, I don't think that one ever works. Check out this one: http://nautinsight.buddylabsapps.com/

Thanks a lot. nautinsight.buddylabsapps.com
What is the API access to read the balance of an address?

http://explorer.nautiluscoin.com/chain/Nautiluscoin/q/addressbalance/NS88NtpMPUaWFaLDtgQEcyUhyWiqZ1Ljn9

no sign of a signature
drakoin

see my profile

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 01:47:02 AM

The price just broke down through the next resistance.

For a coin intending to have a "stabilization fund" ... I am loosing surprisingly much of my wealth with this NAUT.

no sign of a signature
drakoin

see my profile

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 01:51:01 AM

how was it pumped on July 3rd - 5th and June 25th - 26th
- and when will that happen again?

no sign of a signature
FlyingMongoose

Activity: 238

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 03:12:18 AM

It's not moving very well on Mintpal right now, but poloniex is > 20k...

I'm guessing there will be some more movement come thursday though with the pos implementation being planned there.

qoinpro.com/951c974b34f66cc68e805832df0c9d8c
PilotofBTC
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 04:29:57 AM

-->

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, [no address given] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Apache/2.2.22 (Ubuntu) Server at explorer.nautiluscoin.com Port 80
?

Yes, I don't think that one ever works. Check out this one: http://nautinsight.buddylabsapps.com/

Thanks a lot. nautinsight.buddylabsapps.com
What is the API access to read the balance of an address?

http://explorer.nautiluscoin.com/chain/Nautiluscoin/q/addressbalance/NS88NtpMPUaWFaLDtgQEcyUhyWiqZ1Ljn9

http://nautinsight.buddylabsapps.com/address/Nhh5Ndz2GdunwPrZyChYgr2PUj7AoLRtEm
Doging

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 11:31:11 AM
Last edit: July 16, 2014, 11:43:03 AM by Doging

I'm guessing there will be some more movement come thursday though with the pos implementation being planned there.

The day after the mintpal hack there was practically no support but it's improving.

Does anyone know who ran the blackcoin multipool? I liked their setup, it was really simple.

Edit: I think this is his email thedogeofwallstreet@gmail.com

Does anyone think it's worth worth getting in contact?

.Minter.                       ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                  ▄▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄▄
               ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
            ,▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
          ,▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
         ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▓▄   ▀▓▀   ▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
     ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▄     ▄▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
     ╟▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▄ ▄▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
     ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      ║▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
       ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
         ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
           ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
             ▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
                ▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀
                     ▀▀██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▀▀
||

╓▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒
▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀▀▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌        ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▀╜        ╙▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌                       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▌         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌         ▓▓▓▓▓          ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓⌐         ▓▓▓▓▓         ╣▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▀█▀▀^         ╫▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌                      ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                     ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                 #▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
 ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
 ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
WALLET

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█
BTCrawl

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 12:04:06 PM

The day after the mintpal hack there was practically no support but it's improving.

Does anyone know who ran the blackcoin multipool? I liked their setup, it was really simple.

Yeah, he did the backend and they hired this company http://www.legiondev.co/ to do the frontend. I think it can definitely be a good idea to contact him, although I can't say if he'll be up to help us out. He seems like a very nice guy though (he usually appears on the Blackcoin videopodcasts) so it's worth a shot. I'd still like to know who has started working on the Nautiluscoin multipool though, or if they just put up a website and then forgot about it. It would be a shame if we've got a ton of talented people all working on different multipools.
BK - Do you know who, if anyone, is working on a Naut multipool?
BK_PHI (OP)

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 12:36:51 PM

Yeah, he did the backend and they hired this company http://www.legiondev.co/ to do the frontend. I think it can definitely be a good idea to contact him, although I can't say if he'll be up to help us out. He seems like a very nice guy though (he usually appears on the Blackcoin videopodcasts) so it's worth a shot. I'd still like to know who has started working on the Nautiluscoin multipool though, or if they just put up a website and then forgot about it. It would be a shame if we've got a ton of talented people all working on different multipools.

A few things:

PoS - Obviously I am in favor of PoS, especially since I think I can sell the idea of a 'dividend' to professional investors. BUT I do think having the discussion about pros and cons is VERY worthwhile - I would much rather know about the flaws and have a plan ahead of time to address the issues.

The ability to control the staking coins is absolutely a risk to going PoS - $180k is not a lot of money for some people.  If someone wanted to destroy NAUT AND their investment buying the coins would be feasible.  However, my hope/plan is that the PoS transition will increase market cap and make it more difficult.

With this in mind, the "51%" attack problem is a very real threat in all digital currencies - any feedback on how to prevent it is welcome.

Also - can somebody list other potential flaws/security issues with PoS?

Naut PoS Pool - I am not running that pool and I do not know who is.  I think we should have more than one - as decentralization is one of the hallmarks of NAUT

Jon Fitch - I talked to Fitch yesterday and he has some VERY interesting ideas for NAUT, once I get the plans formalized I will need community help to implement.  In the interest of not tipping off the competition I may need to keep some ideas quiet until fully built out.

-BK

BTCrawl

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 01:03:42 PM

A few things:

PoS - Obviously I am in favor of PoS, especially since I think I can sell the idea of a 'dividend' to professional investors. BUT I do think having the discussion about pros and cons is VERY worthwhile - I would much rather know about the flaws and have a plan ahead of time to address the issues.

The ability to control the staking coins is absolutely a risk to going PoS - $180k is not a lot of money for some people.  If someone wanted to destroy NAUT AND their investment buying the coins would be feasible.  However, my hope/plan is that the PoS transition will increase market cap and make it more difficult.

With this in mind, the "51%" attack problem is a very real threat in all digital currencies - any feedback on how to prevent it is welcome.

Also - can somebody list other potential flaws/security issues with PoS?

Naut PoS Pool - I am not running that pool and I do not know who is.  I think we should have more than one - as decentralization is one of the hallmarks of NAUT

Jon Fitch - I talked to Fitch yesterday and he has some VERY interesting ideas for NAUT, once I get the plans formalized I will need community help to implement.  In the interest of not tipping off the competition I may need to keep some ideas quiet until fully built out.

-BK

I think, as you pointed out, that a 51% attack is less likely in a PoS scenario as the attacker would destroy his own investment. The difference is of course when the attackers steals the coins, like in the Vericoin scenario, and if he can't sell them he might hold the network hostage or something. Still, if someone steals 30% of all coins you're going to have huge problems regardless if the coin is PoS or PoW, so it's not something unique to PoS.

The good thing is that PoS has became incredibly popular in the past 6 months or so, and a lot of people are experimenting with ways of improving security. Once PoS is implemented I'm sure we'll have a ton of discussion regarding what new features that can be added at a later date Smiley

Edit: Also, damn this thread is becoming long! Great to see so much activity.
BK_PHI (OP)

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 01:19:16 PM

Any thoughts on what to do if 51% of NAUT staking coins are stolen?

If that occurs can we do anything or is NAUT at the mercy of the 51% holder?

Pages: « 1 ... 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 [163] 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 ... 402 »
  Print  

Jump to: