Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:12:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should "bits" become the standard for merchant pricing, wallets and general usage.
Bitcoin best as the common unit. 0.001234 is ok - 108 (14.1%)
milliBitcoins (thousandths) are best - 90 (11.7%)
Bits (millionths) are best - 570 (74.2%)
Total Voters: 768

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »
  Print  
Author Topic: 1,000,000 bits = 1 bitcoin. Future-proofing Bitcoin for common usage? VOTE  (Read 57123 times)
podyx
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1035

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 06:48:33 PM

Very nice to see that this is getting solved

Trading with decent numbers is just so much more attractive

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1020

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 06:56:51 PM

What about this:

1 Bitcoin = 1 GigaBit

e-0 GigaBit
e-1
e-2
e-3 MegaBit
e-4
e-5
e-6 KiloBit
e-7
e-8 Satoshi
e-9 Bit (not currently dividable but maybe in the future)

People are much more used to the large prefixes than to the small ones.
_biO_

Activity: 174
Merit: 102

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 07:19:03 PM

I think that would take the confusing part of "bit" a bit too far Wink

This signature refers to itself.
podyx
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1035

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 07:46:23 PM

What about this:

1 Bitcoin = 1 MegaBit

e-0 MegaBit
e-1
e-2
e-3 KiloBit
e-4
e-5
e-6 Bit
e-7
e-8 Satoshi
e-9 MilliBit (not currently dividable but maybe in the future)

fixed that for ya Wink
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1520

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2014, 08:22:36 PM
Last edit: May 03, 2014, 08:56:39 PM by Gyrsur

What about this:

1 Bitcoin = 1 MegaBit

e-0 MegaBit
e-1
e-2
e-3 KiloBit
e-4
e-5
e-6 Bit
e-7
e-8 Satoshi
e-9 MilliBit (not currently dividable but maybe in the future)

fixed that for ya Wink

point is to have a name for a unit where we have maximal 2 decimal digits. this is neccessary for a lot of software which are in use already.

1.00 --> 1 bit = 100 sats and that is it. Bitcoin is the protocol and one bit is the base unit which you can divide in 100 satoshis.

EDIT: one neccessary thing would be on the other hand the possibility to transfer at least 1 bit with one transaction which would have impact on the blocksize. transfer roughly at least 0.0005$ with one tx. this should be possible. if I be a Newbie I will test the whole thing: go to a Bitcoin faucet where I will get one bit and then I will try to transfer it to a friend on the mars.  Wink off chain txs are insecure. proof is inputs.io. too centralized.

Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3073

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2014, 08:47:53 PM

Anything not based on the metric system will fail.  The entire world (except the US) is on the metric system.

"centi" (c) is 1/100 or cBTC
"milli" (m) is 1/1000 or mBTC

0.01 btc is one centibit.  Easy!

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 08:49:12 PM

So the term "bit" is used everywhere in technology and of course in the name Bitcoin itself.

But what about a slightly alternate spelling  

byt
or
   biit
or
   bbit

I propose "tit". Immediately appeals to about 50% of the world's population.

Seriously though, 1 bit = 100 satoshis is perfectly fine.

Just as seriously, 1 mike = 100 satoshis is perfectly fine.  It predates this "bit" idea by a number of years, meshes much better with the more established mBTC and uBTC convention, and has less of a name overloading problem.

The whole point of the idea of renaming to "bit" is predicated on "mike" not being good enough; not "FUTURE PROOFING.." as franky1 put it.  Consequently, you'll have to provide more of an argument to adequately counter searcy's proposals: "byt", "biit", and "bbit".
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2014, 09:19:57 PM

Just as seriously, 1 mike = 100 satoshis is perfectly fine.

yup

Dollars and cents
Bitcoins and millies and micros (or mics)

easy, really.

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
gojomo

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 09:22:56 PM

do we go with 1bit or give it another name.. i think 1zib is weird and wrong as it has no relevance and looks alien in regards to crypto.

'zib' seems a bit weird because it's new; any made-up word faces that at first.

But made-up words also come with no meaning-collisions – they can mean precisely what is chosen – and become familiar after a few exposures.

'bit' is always going to create comprehension/abbreviation/search problems, as people try to move between the different senses. (And since the bit-as-binary-digit is the core of the Bitcoin system – the binary math that gives the currency its scarcity and security – everyone who ever tries to become a Bitcoin expert will face these clashing terms.)
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 09:44:51 PM

do we go with 1bit or give it another name.. i think 1zib is weird and wrong as it has no relevance and looks alien in regards to crypto.

'zib' seems a bit weird because it's new; any made-up word faces that at first.

But made-up words also come with no meaning-collisions – they can mean precisely what is chosen – and become familiar after a few exposures.

'bit' is always going to create comprehension/abbreviation/search problems, as people try to move between the different senses. (And since the bit-as-binary-digit is the core of the Bitcoin system – the binary math that gives the currency its scarcity and security – everyone who ever tries to become a Bitcoin expert will face these clashing terms.)

satoshi is a meaning collision and for a good reason. to honour the creator. so it is relevant

zib seems to alien or foreign... i prefer:
1gav - to honour Gavin Andressens years of coding bitcoin protocol
1alp - to honour the first LEGITIMATE business using bitcoin (alpaca socks)
1silk - i dont like this, but atleast it has some relevance, as the notorious site silkroad, that gave bitcoin fame ("any publicity is good publicity")

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
David M

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 11:14:04 PM

Looking at it through my "database dude" lens, it has always disturbed/hassled me that 100 million satoshis is 1 BTC.

Explanation:

Most Currency is stored to 4 digit precision in a database. i.e: 0.0001

Therefore: 1 "dollar" is 10,000 satoshis
Therefore: 1 "cent" is 100 satoshis.

This is critical for allowing systems to maintain compatibility across multiple currencies.

In the 2 systems I have added support to, the decision has been made to always pass satoshis in and out of the database via view restriction.

i.e:
Create view BitcoinMoneyOut
as
Select Currency * 10000 as Satoshis
from Table

Create view BitcoinMoneyIn
as
Select Currency / 10000 as Satoshis
from Table

Just thought I would add food for thought in the nomenclature battle.
Jacce

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 12:02:21 AM

Anything not based on the metric system will fail.  The entire world (except the US) is on the metric system.

"centi" (c) is 1/100 or cBTC
"milli" (m) is 1/1000 or mBTC

0.01 btc is one centibit.  Easy!

Going over to bits doesn't mean we abandon the metric system. Instead, we could say "kilobits" (=mBTC) and "megabits" (=BTC). I agree about switching to bits, but I really think it should be called something else to avoid confusion (could, for example, be used for people scamming less educated people since 1 bitcoin and 1 bit sounds very similar). I have seen many other suggestions, and all of them are better than bits imo.
fryarminer

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 01:46:04 AM

Love the bit idea.
Mining is so hard these days - it would make me feel like I'm mining more.
It would also help the price of Bitcoin rise.
binaryphile

Activity: 2

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 02:04:56 AM
Last edit: May 04, 2014, 04:32:03 AM by binaryphile

satoshi is a meaning collision and for a good reason. to honour the creator. so it is relevant

zib seems to alien or foreign... i prefer:
1gav - to honour Gavin Andressens years of coding bitcoin protocol
1alp - to honour the first LEGITIMATE business using bitcoin (alpaca socks)
1silk - i dont like this, but atleast it has some relevance, as the notorious site silkroad, that gave bitcoin fame ("any publicity is good publicity")

I'd throw in consideration for the "back" to honor Adam Back, creator of the hashcash algorithm used as bitcoin's proof of work.  He has a direct contribution to bitcoin, and a pioneering and integral one at that.  Short of Satoshi him/her/themself, I can't think of anyone whose work is more explicitly embodied in the bitcoin software.  Honestly, we really owe Adam an enormous debt of gratitude for his contribution.  This would be a fitting honor to place his name alongside Satoshi's.

Plus Adam's name is short and sweet, like "bit", without having the prior confusion of other uses of bit.  (how is a millibit equal to 1000 bits, anyway?)

Finally, back sounds like money.  It's similar to "buck" and rolls off the tongue just as easily.  Not only that, there's no accent or dialect which commingles the "uh" of buck and "aa" of back, so they can't be confused.  It would be like confusing the words "faq" and "fuck".  To boot, It also has the additional connotation of "greenback", another good money association.

Think about it.  Doesn't "ten thousand backs" have a visceral ring to it?  It sounds like money.  Isn't that one of the most important qualities we could impart to our choice of word?  Bitcoin sounds like money because coins are money.  Bit by itself loses that advantage while back doesn't.  "256 bits" sounds like computer gobbledy-gook to the layperson, but while they may not immediately know what 256 backs are, it sure sounds like it's money.

I'd also submit that the symbol for it should be lower case thorn: http://www.theasciicode.com.ar/extended-ascii-code/lowercase-letter-thorn-ascii-code-231.html: "þ".  Thorn has two major advantages:

a) it's plain ascii.  Any computer system or programming language (I'm looking at you, financial institutions) can use it.  It doesn't require unicode support.  If we want 100% market penetration, we can't underestimate how many old, non-unicode systems there are out there which will never be upgraded to support it.  Unicode support is frickin hard.

b) more importantly, it will not drive web developers insane having to remember an arbitrary alt-code.  Thorn already has an html entity, "þ". Anyone can remember and type that, and you don't have to hold and release a modifier key for a multi-digit code to do it.

Seriously folks, this naming process is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.  This term could be used for decades, even centuries to come.  Do we really have to shoot our load after a few minutes of consideration or can we take the time to really come up with an acceptable idea?
harrymmmm

Activity: 576
Merit: 503

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 05:42:01 AM

So the term "bit" is used everywhere in technology and of course in the name Bitcoin itself.

But what about a slightly alternate spelling  

byt
or
   biit
or
   bbit

I propose "tit". Immediately appeals to about 50% of the world's population.

Seriously though, 1 bit = 100 satoshis is perfectly fine.

Just as seriously, 1 mike = 100 satoshis is perfectly fine.  It predates this "bit" idea by a number of years, meshes much better with the more established mBTC and uBTC convention, and has less of a name overloading problem.

The whole point of the idea of renaming to "bit" is predicated on "mike" not being good enough; not "FUTURE PROOFING.." as franky1 put it.  Consequently, you'll have to provide more of an argument to adequately counter searcy's proposals: "byt", "biit", and "bbit".

Mike is perfectly fine with me too.
And the whole idea of using 2 decimals after it comes quite naturally.
'Bit' is just confusing.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 05:47:16 AM

Who TF is "Mike" ?

harrymmmm

Activity: 576
Merit: 503

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 07:01:41 AM

Who TF is "Mike" ?
Spell it how you like (mic maybe?), but engineers often refer to micro... (verbally) as 'mikes'
N[e]wBie

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 01:14:30 PM

We are talking about future proofing so let's make 1 BTC = $100,000 for easy math.

Suppose Joe blow wants to order a $5 cheeseburger in BTC. Here's a few different scenarios:

A. "That'll be 0.00005 BTC please."
B. "That'll be 0.05 mBTC please."
C. "That'll be 50 uBTC please."
D. "That'll be 50 bits please."

A and B are eliminated right off the bat because nobody wants to recall how many zeroes they've put after the decimal.

This leaves us with reasonable C and D, but the word "bit" is far more marketable than "micro-BTC". Micro-BTC just doesn't roll off the tongue like bits does.

For those who say we have MicroBitcoin already, it's not about us... we get it, we're fine. We're already invested into BTC. Get over yourself. It's about widespread adoption transcending mathematical literacy, and "bit" is the ideal solution concerning avoiding decimals as well as ownership psychology.
this. I would like to add that uBTC is also confusing, though, whereas bits are not.

BTC: 1ESZr887vTZqYtDuwwspn1jBaoRU9jMcv1
czechcoin

Activity: 17

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 02:11:17 PM

Tongue Not good idea.
boumalo
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2014, 02:31:12 PM

We are talking about future proofing so let's make 1 BTC = $100,000 for easy math.

Suppose Joe blow wants to order a $5 cheeseburger in BTC. Here's a few different scenarios:

A. "That'll be 0.00005 BTC please."
B. "That'll be 0.05 mBTC please."
C. "That'll be 50 uBTC please."
D. "That'll be 50 bits please."

A and B are eliminated right off the bat because nobody wants to recall how many zeroes they've put after the decimal.

This leaves us with reasonable C and D, but the word "bit" is far more marketable than "micro-BTC". Micro-BTC just doesn't roll off the tongue like bits does.

For those who say we have MicroBitcoin already, it's not about us... we get it, we're fine. We're already invested into BTC. Get over yourself. It's about widespread adoption transcending mathematical literacy, and "bit" is the ideal solution concerning avoiding decimals as well as ownership psychology.
this. I would like to add that uBTC is also confusing, though, whereas bits are not.

bits are easier to use because it is a word rather than a group of letters

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »
  Print  

Jump to: