Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:42:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should "bits" become the standard for merchant pricing, wallets and general usage.
Bitcoin best as the common unit. 0.001234 is ok - 108 (14.1%)
milliBitcoins (thousandths) are best - 90 (11.7%)
Bits (millionths) are best - 570 (74.2%)
Total Voters: 768

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »
  Print  
Author Topic: 1,000,000 bits = 1 bitcoin. Future-proofing Bitcoin for common usage? VOTE  (Read 57123 times)
acs267

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 02:13:40 PM

Why should be change it? Many people like uBTC just find. I'll probably never see myself using a 'bit' because Bitcoin is XBT. Barely anybody I've seen on the forum uses 'bits'.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bananaControl

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Decentralize All The Things!

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 02:15:45 PM

Why should be change it? Many people like uBTC just find.

Well, you have just proven why µBTC is such a bad idea. It isn't u it's µ.

Activity: 525

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 02:17:22 PM

'bit' already implemented. new standard is on the way.   Wink

www.quickcoin.co

https://wallet.quickcoin.co
Well done that looks great, another step to mass adoption, congrats. Minor point: no comma separators?
lemfuture

Activity: 686

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 02:19:22 PM

the thing is you and some others claim there is a majority vote for the name 'bit' while this simply is not true. The majority vote is for using µBTC rather than a full bitcoin.

My mother, like the majority of people in this world, wouldn't know how to pronounce µBTC or even type µ on a keyboard. You people have lost - accept it, and just be happy that bitcoin is now a tiny bit easier to understand and use.

speaking of which, where do i find that special u

1ADLcfwTofFXb95pKhebpeRkJ4WTWsvQXB
acs267

Activity: 644

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 02:20:19 PM

I don't get how a simple mistake ensures it's a bad idea? I think we should be more worried about what this 'bit' could be called when Bitcoin is more widely known as XBT to some outsiders.
bananaControl

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 02:24:12 PM

the thing is you and some others claim there is a majority vote for the name 'bit' while this simply is not true. The majority vote is for using µBTC rather than a full bitcoin.

My mother, like the majority of people in this world, wouldn't know how to pronounce µBTC or even type µ on a keyboard. You people have lost - accept it, and just be happy that bitcoin is now a tiny bit easier to understand and use.

On windows you can hold down the Alt-key and press 0181. The perfect way to type a symbol we will have to use every day after mass adoption.
notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 02:29:06 PM

1 bit = 12.5¢
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2014, 02:30:00 PM

also here is 'bit' possible www.changetip.com

bananaControl

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 02:30:11 PM

I don't get how a simple mistake ensures it's a bad idea?

Because EVERY FRIKING PERSON on facebook and yahoo will make the same mistake. Calling it ł€®þ would be just as good an idea from their point of view.

I think we should be more worried about what this 'bit' could be called when Bitcoin is more widely known as XBT to some outsiders.

XBT is just an ISO way to format currencies and the X means that it's not linked to a country (off the top of my head).... USD or SEK - how does that fuck up the use of "Dollar" or "krona" again ?
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 03:36:08 PM

'Bit' has already caught on as the most popular name. You're fighting a lost cause.

not really, the term bit hasn't even been around for a month.
zimmah
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 03:38:24 PM

µBTC is the 'official' name for it but not the nickname, i avoid using nicknames because there's no consensus on a name yet (and no, there's definitely no consensus on the word bit either).

If anything, a majority actually voted to name it microbitcoin rather than bit, like 2 years ago. But since microbitcoin s quite lengthy, a shorter name would be ideal, however the term bit is not an acceptable name.

there's nothing wrong with using a u intead of µ since u is not used as a metric prefix anyway.
zimmah
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 03:50:41 PM

On windows you can hold down the Alt-key and press 0181. The perfect way to type a symbol we will have to use every day after mass adoption.

alt + m (use the alt-gr or left alt)

it's not a u (although u is a valid replacement in informal context), it's the greek letter 'mu' or 'greek m' because the m was already taken for milli, they could not use m again for micro (and the capital M already means Mega)
bananaControl

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 03:54:22 PM

µBTC is the 'official' name for it but not the nickname, i avoid using nicknames because there's no consensus on a name yet (and no, there's definitely no consensus on the word bit either).

If anything, a majority actually voted to name it microbitcoin rather than bit, like 2 years ago. But since microbitcoin s quite lengthy, a shorter name would be ideal, however the term bit is not an acceptable name.

The majority of users BACK THEN, yes, people who were technical skilled and knew the metric system and the meaning of weird greek characters. In short, geeks... Don't underestimate normal peoples ability to get confused about things that might seem sensible to us. And if normal people find something "stupid" they will not adopt it.

there's nothing wrong with using a u intead of µ since u is not used as a metric prefix anyway.

Of course there is something wrong with that... "YOU - BEE - TEE - SEE" (And yes, that is how people will pronounce it) has absolutely nothing to do with microbitcoin in any way what so ever - µBTC or uBTC will only confuse people. If you can find a better substituted for "bit" by all means please come forward! but µBTC or uBTC sure as hell isn't.

zimmah
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 03:58:26 PM

you are probably american to think only engineers and scientists use the METRIC system.

Newsflash! the whole world except america uses the metric system, daily.

It's not hard at all, in fact, it's far more easier than the imperial system.

bananaControl

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 04:03:30 PM

you are probably american to think only engineers and scientists use the METRIC system.

No, I'm not. And your generalizing does not help your cause in any way.

But I'm all for making it so simple that as few people as absolutely possible will get confused by it. And for that purpose µBTC oe uBTC is a big fail... I'm not saying that it has to be "bit", but that is the best proposal so far - and the majority of bitcoin users seem to think so too.
zimmah
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 04:03:58 PM

i never said µBTC would substitude bit, i just said it's the 'official' (formal) name for a millionth of a bitcoin.

i have proposed not one, but a couple of other names (i did not make them all up myself):

zib, xib/xi, unit/ubit/µbit (interchangeable with each other), mike.

some others also suggested finney.

and there's probably millions of other names you could think of.
zimmah
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 04:05:30 PM

No, I'm not. But I'm all for making it so simple that as few people as absolutely possible will get confused by it. And for that purpose µBTC oe uBTC is a big fail... I'm not saying that it has to be "bit", but that is the best proposal so far - and the majority of bitcoin users seem to think so too.

well then what's wrong with 'ubit/unit/µbit'?

it's only 1 letter longer and seems to be the most popular option in the naming poll and it's not nearly as confusing as bit and i'm pretty sure a majority could accept this name.
bananaControl

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 04:06:37 PM

i never said µBTC would substitude bit, i just said it's the 'official' (formal) name for a millionth of a bitcoin.

i have proposed not one, but a couple of other names (i did not make them all up myself):

zib, xib/xi, unit/ubit/µbit (interchangeable with each other), mike.

some others also suggested finney.

and there's probably millions of other names you could think of.

Good. Now go make a wiki, put up a facebook page (or whatever) and spread the idea and see if it takes off.
bananaControl

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 04:08:09 PM

No, I'm not. But I'm all for making it so simple that as few people as absolutely possible will get confused by it. And for that purpose µBTC oe uBTC is a big fail... I'm not saying that it has to be "bit", but that is the best proposal so far - and the majority of bitcoin users seem to think so too.

well then what's wrong with 'ubit/unit/µbit'?

it's only 1 letter longer and seems to be the most popular option in the naming poll and it's not nearly as confusing as bit and i'm pretty sure a majority could accept this name.

See: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=592691.msg6912898#msg6912898
Hoanghung289

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 04:09:09 PM

So confusing...  Huh Huh
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »
  Print  

Jump to: