Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 12:35:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 ... 256 »
  Print  
Author Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer  (Read 387455 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 08:48:53 PM

yeah the "live" coins

ShroomsKit_Disgrace
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

Yeah! I hate ShroomsKit!

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 09:26:46 PM

Dont listen Darkota, he-she is just trolling.
Actually, vitalik v. came yesterday to nxtforum and agreed with come-from-beyond that NXT solution to NOS problem is valid and not flawed.
darlidada

Activity: 723
Merit: 503

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 09:28:05 PM

Apparently there has been some development to XMR marginal mining GPU price.

Check this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=675218.0

also this calculator: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14FC2ZzfDQ5Nz2YgjaNE_BcFVKSEMLLXOWUL9zf_Zw9A/edit#gid=109561233

Shall we keep buying?
HardwarePal

Activity: 565
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 09:33:43 PM

The MONERO MARKET PRICE is now 0.00310-320

Im setting up more buy orders at 300 and lower
dga

Activity: 737
Merit: 511

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2014, 09:34:15 PM

also this calculator: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14FC2ZzfDQ5Nz2YgjaNE_BcFVKSEMLLXOWUL9zf_Zw9A/edit#gid=109561233

Shall we keep buying?

The efficiency of mining, and the platforms on which it can be best mined (outside of philosophical discussions about GPU vs CPU vs ASIC) have nothing to do with whether you should buy the coin.  That's about your own estimate of its future profit potential.  Mining is irrelevant - the same number of coins will be mined every day, regardless of whether it's done on CPU, GPU, or abacus.

statdude
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 09:43:23 PM

Shall we keep buying?

The efficiency of mining, and the platforms on which it can be best mined (outside of philosophical discussions about GPU vs CPU vs ASIC) have nothing to do with whether you should buy the coin.  That's about your own estimate of its future profit potential.  Mining is irrelevant - the same number of coins will be mined every day, regardless of whether it's done on CPU, GPU, or abacus.

Disagree.
Coins mined at a lower proportional cost will be more likely to be sold on exchanges imo.

▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
█ ███████████████████████ █
█ █████     █ ▀██████████ █
█ █████     █   ▀████████ █
█ █████  ██ █     ▀██████ █

█ █████  ▀▀ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████ █
█ █████  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  █████ █
█ █████             █████ █
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
  Website
    Twitter
      Gitlab
      Reddit
    Telegram
Whitepaper
█ ███▄    ███████▀   ▄███ █
█ ████▌    █████▀    ████ █
█ ████▌     ███▀     ████ █
█ ████▌▐█    █▀ █    ████ █
█ ████▌▐██     ██    ████ █
█ ████▌▐███   ███    ████ █
█ ███▀  ▀███ ███▀    ▀███ █
darlidada

Activity: 723
Merit: 503

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 09:47:29 PM

Shall we keep buying?

I was not pondering if we should buy per se. I was pondering if we should buy now or later. If the roi is that good compared to other coins, it means on one hand that the miner have a very big margin and that they can still at profit even lower ; on the other hand it means that it will attract a lot of miners, which will make the diff skyrocket, which should result in a price increase.
statdude
Legendary

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 09:52:44 PM

Shall we keep buying?

I was not pondering if we should buy per se. I was pondering if we should buy now or later. If the roi is that good compared to other coins, it means on one hand that the miner have a very big margin and that they can still at profit even lower ; on the other hand it means that it will attract a lot of miners, which will make the diff skyrocket, which should result in a price increase.
Good post.
Healthiest for a coin long-term is steady growth on all levels. When growing, the difficulty should lag the price increase, as miners see potential profits increase from the increasing price.

So far that theory is holding up with this coin, as difficulty on average increases 5% a day. For this healthy growth to continue, most important is to support the community, development, and make this coin enjoyable and usable to hold.

Ideally, this continues indefinitely as with bitcoin.

Website
    Twitter
      Gitlab
      Reddit
    Telegram
Whitepaper
kbm

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 10:09:39 PM

50 XMR bounty toward open source cryptonight-mining abacus! Cheesy

Good post.
Healthiest for a coin long-term is steady growth on all levels. When growing, the difficulty should lag the price increase, as miners see potential profits increase from the increasing price.

So far that theory is holding up with this coin, as difficulty on average increases 5% a day. For this healthy growth to continue, most important is to support the community, development, and make this coin enjoyable and usable to hold.

Ideally, this continues indefinitely as with bitcoin.

Now that it seems like the initial anon shock phase is over, how do you or anyone think the market for anon coins will play out?

The only thing I can think to compare it to is anoncoin, but that doesn't seem like a good comparison.

Stability would be interesting to achieve. I think I remember almost two full months where the price of DRK stayed at .0017 barely budging until competition heated up.

Do you think this will repeat if more new competition is introduced .. like maybe if someone put out a zerocash coin? Or should we be settling in for a longer (possibly) wait of a period of about 6 months until (for Monero at least) there's a real QT wallet/I2P is in place/open source miners are completed?

Thanks Smiley
statdude
Legendary

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 10:21:19 PM

Now that it seems like the initial anon shock phase is over, how do you or anyone think the market for anon coins will play out?

The only thing I can think to compare it to is anoncoin, but that doesn't seem like a good comparison.

Stability would be interesting to achieve. I think I remember almost two full months where the price of DRK stayed at .0017 barely budging until competition heated up.

Do you think this will repeat if more new competition is introduced .. like maybe if someone put out a zerocash coin? Or should we be settling in for a longer (possibly) wait of a period of about 6 months until (for Monero at least) there's a real QT wallet/I2P is in place/open source miners are completed?

I think the market as a whole is retracting (25% this week). Could pullback another 25% at most IMO. Kinda funny to see all the pumpers on twitter "shut up". They want to be back - I guarantee you - everyone is just waiting for "action".

At that point, it's a total guess as to whether Monero has another big run up in the near future.
All that matters long-term is continued adoption. Patience of 1-3 months at least is vital for buyers at current levels (like myself) weather the current market, which is the equivalent of a mini-recession for alts. I have no guarantee it will recover, but you be happy now about dumping stocks in 2009? (EDIT: there have been 3 alt bull markets in last 12 months, and probably a similar # the year before that - they seem to happen every 3-4 months)

XMR could certainly trend down to 0.002-0.0025 but I'm not risking it. No way it goes below those levels (old resistance) without a catalyst though. I guarantee a lot of buy walls would appear at 0.002. I don't see it going much lower after a GUI bounty is named in next 24 hours, as that should calm FUD and help bring in more users.

If this next month is anything like the last 0.004+ should be relatively likely by Aug. Hopefully over coming months we see more ways to use Monero, and either a secure online wallet or condensed blockchain to increase adoption.

The devs seem to have a TON of cool features flying under the radar like Mobile client  Smiley

Website
    Twitter
      Gitlab
      Reddit
    Telegram
Whitepaper
darkota

Activity: 770

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 10:27:20 PM

I think the market as a whole is retracting (25% this week). Could pullback another 25% at most IMO. Kinda funny to see all the pumpers on twitter "shut up". They want to be back - I guarantee you - everyone is just waiting for "action".

At that point, it's a total guess as to whether Monero has another big run up in the near future.
All that matters long-term is continued adoption. Patience of 1-3 months at least is vital for buyers at current levels (like myself) weather the current market, which is the equivalent of a mini-recession for alts. I have no guarantee it will recover, but you be happy now about dumping stocks in 2009?

XMR could certainly trend down to 0.002-0.0025 but I'm not chancing it. No way it goes below those levels without a catalyst though. I don't see it going much lower after a GUI bounty is named in next 24 hours, as that should calm FUD and help bring in more users.

If this next month is anything like the last 0.004-5ish should be relatively safe by Aug. Hopefully over coming months we see more ways to use Monero, and either a secure online wallet or condensed blockchain to increase adoption.

The devs seem to have a TON of cool features flying under the radar like Mobile client  Smiley

IMO, we'll be seeing another run-up/pump soon enough. The job is to spread the word, that so far, only the cryptonote coins like Monero provide anonymity right now.(coinjoin used coins are not anonymous)

Hell, Im cutting a damn good amount of my expenses and raising $ to buy more monero.

The only anonymous/privacy centric coins worth considering, are Monero, Darkcoin, and Vertcoin for obvious reasons. xmr has ring sig, drk has masternodes, vert has stealth addresses.

darkota

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 10:29:34 PM

BTW, The anonymous-coin market has not even begun to began. The anonymous/privacy centric coin frenzy, will begin when the first anonymous/privacy centric coin passes Litecoin in marketcap. Once that's done, expect waves of "anonymous" copycat coins.

Passing Litecoin will start the age of Privacy, and end the age of ASIC resistance etc in cryptocoins.
kbm

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 10:45:02 PM

IMO, we'll be seeing another run-up/pump soon enough. The job is to spread the word, that so far, only the cryptonote coins like Monero provide anonymity right now.(coinjoin used coins are not anonymous)

Actually this brings up a decent point. Monero has news on twitter, facebook, google plus, here, a community forum and reddit, and IRC. Most of those are so saturated or distant that we can easily be missed if we're looking to bring in someone new .. almost like we're hiding in plain sight.

There's lots of other places to target if we're looking to spread word. If the GUI wallet bounty was to be claimed in the next 24 hours, and with the tx splitting a thing now (I think it's in the main repo) .. there's really no real reason not to start branching out more than we have already. Actually it might be a perfect time to see if we can bring in total outsiders. I'm not talking about a massive push, but just mention it once and see if you get even one person interested on the internet.

Does anyone know of or have a list of forums or blogs or just groups of people that you think would be interested in cryptocurrencies? Most anyone I talk to right now outside of the internet thinks that all digital currencies are just called bitcoins .. in the same way I would call the paper in my wallet a bill.

Might be worth putting a list together at least, even if we dont spread word there yet, of anywhere we'd like to spread word. Maybe someone's already working on this, but I haven't heard anything about it so I'm guessing not?

Specific groups I'd think about targeting are people who spend more than 3-4 hours a day on the internet and are specifically interested in computer-based hobbies such as gaming, programming, small online retailers, or just people who spend their time in forums. This is a broad list, but there are specific sites that these people can be reached at. I'll start writing it up, and am welcome to additions/sharing it through PM.

Thanks Smiley
darkota

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 10:51:41 PM

Actually this brings up a decent point. Monero has news on twitter, facebook, google plus, here, a community forum and reddit, and IRC. Most of those are so saturated or distant that we can easily be missed if we're looking to bring in someone new .. almost like we're hiding in plain sight.

There's lots of other places to target if we're looking to spread word. If the GUI wallet bounty was to be claimed in the next 24 hours, and with the tx splitting a thing now (I think it's in the main repo) .. there's really no real reason not to start branching out more than we have already. Actually it might be a perfect time to see if we can bring in total outsiders. I'm not talking about a massive push, but just mention it once and see if you get even one person interested on the internet.

Does anyone know of or have a list of forums or blogs or just groups of people that you think would be interested in cryptocurrencies? Most anyone I talk to right now outside of the internet thinks that all digital currencies are just called bitcoins .. in the same way I would call the paper in my wallet a bill.

Might be worth putting a list together at least, even if we dont spread word there yet, of anywhere we'd like to spread word. Maybe someone's already working on this, but I haven't heard anything about it so I'm guessing not?

Specific groups I'd think about targeting are people who spend more than 3-4 hours a day on the internet and are specifically interested in computer-based hobbies such as gaming, programming, small online retailers, or just people who spend their time in forums. This is a broad list, but there are specific sites that these people can be reached at. I'll start writing it up, and am welcome to additions/sharing it through PM.

Yea, like getting Twitter and Facebook marketing. Having articles done/press release etc.
adhitthana
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 11:06:00 PM

What are the current thoughts on Monero?
kbm

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 11:06:33 PM

Yea, like getting Twitter and Facebook marketing. Having articles done/press release etc.

That would be nice for a big push, but I'm thinking a little lower key. Sites like twitch.tv, gamespot forums, even 4chan (doge formed a solid base here), or even reddit threads outside of crypto-focused ones .. or at least the r/monero thread. Places where communication happens, but are more suited to the size of what this is now.

Forgot to mention the website in the above post, I think that's going live this week as well. It will be great to be able to point people somewhere that isn't whitespace.

Thanks Smiley
darkota

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 02:06:30 AM

BTW, The anonymous-coin market has not even begun to began. The anonymous/privacy centric coin frenzy, will begin when the first anonymous/privacy centric coin passes Litecoin in marketcap. Once that's done, expect waves of "anonymous" copycat coins.

Passing Litecoin will start the age of Privacy, and end the age of ASIC resistance etc in cryptocoins.

Sounds good, I just hope one of these first coins to surpass LTC are cryptonote based like XMR or BBR, darkcoin and others are not really anonymous.

Yea, I'm saying that because Litecoin ushered in a age where coins have to be asic resistant etc.

Once a privacy centric coin like Monero/Cryptonote passes Litecoin in marketcap, that'll usher in a new age based on privacy features.
digicoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 03:29:57 AM

on the other hand it means that it will attract a lot of miners, which will make the diff skyrocket, which should result in a price increase.

Diff has nothing to do with price.
digitalindustry

Activity: 798

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 03:37:55 AM

Any PoS coin that has an IPO will never get far. Incase you guys haven't noticed, Bitcointalk.org is not the public, having an IPO where even 10,000 "real" members take part is still an extremely unfair distribution.
With PoW, anyone can go and try and mine, no matter how late they are to the scene. I had a friend try and mine Bitcoin on his cpu, hey at least he tried and could of gotten some if he was successfull, but that could never happen with PoS coins.
Darkota, not get offended please, but you are an ignorant prick.
What is the different between buying a coin and buying the mining equipment to average joe?
If you have spent 10k usd in mining equipment and IPOs take the lead, dont be so butthurt and open your mind.
You are welcome.
Are you this simple minded?
With an IPO an pure PoS coins, there is a limited amount of time you are able to become a stakeholder, so the ones who get in early have a hugely unfair advantage over everyone else
With a PoW coin, you can always mine if you want, for decades to come, and the ones that get in early have an advantage, but not by that much.(Ex: Bitcoin etc etc)
For EX: The first 50 accounts on NXT's richlist own over 48% of all coins there is...
Do your Homework please.

That's not a good argument sorry.
On PoW, few big miners/company will be owning over 50% of the hardware so, it end up the same.

Actually, it is worse : 3 pools own 95% of the network.

Yeah but here's the thing about the free market.

It doesn't care what is a good or not a good argument.

In theory if NXT had of stuck to its own exchange it could bid itself way past Bitcoin.

So what? Still doesn't make it a good investment.

And indeed Bitcoins own centralized model will cause its collapse.

So what?

That's the market.

You choose which side to get on but reality isn't going to shift & the information in the market will constantly expand.

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 04:23:22 AM

on the other hand it means that it will attract a lot of miners, which will make the diff skyrocket, which should result in a price increase.

Diff has nothing to do with price.

When a relationship is complex, it is easy (but costly) to ignore.  Supply has a cost.  That cost is strictly determined by difficulty.  These are facts, not opinions.  Another fact: delta difficulty cointegrates with delta price.  That is quite a long distance from ' nothing to do'.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
Pages: « 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 ... 256 »
  Print  

Jump to: